Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭

Any done the 60 day insanity workout and would you recommend it?

Need to lose few pounds for wedding in end July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weigh loss will be decided by your diet not a workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I havent seen anything bad about that workout OP, seems to be pretty highly regarded. There is probably a diet plan to accompany it too which will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

Mellor wrote: »

not entirely true

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

RNC wrote: »
    not entirely true

Yes...... It's entirely true......

Lago wrote: »

no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

not entirely true
    no

Lol yes

Tigger wrote: »
    Lol yes

Fraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Two people with the same stats, both eat the same diet. Both want to lose weight.
    One sits on his ass all day, the other goes cycling, jogging, swimming etc.

Will one lose weight more than the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

not entirely true

Is it not diet + (some form of) exercise = weight loss.

Two people with the same stats, both eat the same diet. Both want to lose weight.

Exactly... Also set of twin both exercise the same but one eats 2500 per day from steak the other 2500 from chocolate who looks better??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Poll is needed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

I googled the insanity workout but saw a site selling dvds what exactly is it in a nutshell or it a case of buy the dvds and find out for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Two variables are apparantly very hard for people. Exercise and a healthy diet are the twin pillars of a healthy body. Opinions differ on what "healthy" means and how much exercise you need.

Back to this insanity workout -- is this what the OP is talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

****e example

Two people with the same stats, both exercise the same amount. Both want to lose weight.

One eats less calories than the other.

:rolleyes:

It's far easier to eat less calories than it is to exercise more to burn extra calories

****e example

Two people with the same stats, both exercise the same amount. Both want to lose weight.

It's far easier to eat less calories than it is to exercise more to burn extra calories

ìt wasnt a 'sh*te' example it was an example just different from your own

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Slight off topic there about the dieting. Reason that debate started is because posters were talking in absolutes, e.g. its only diet you work on. Im pretty sure anyone would agree that a good combination of good diet and exercise will help lose weight and improve fitness.

On insanity, purely speaking from only seeing the commercials on teleshopping, it seems to be based on high intensity interval training, 3 mins on, 3 mins off with loads of different exercises to target muscle toning all over the body. It also doesnt say anything about making it easy and you have to do the work yourself so if you're coming from a non regular exercise background, it'll prob be a big help in weight loss (but dont forget checking your diet ;) )

****e example

Do you know the difference between an example and a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

3595-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Hey OP, look what you've started

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    3595-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

I felt a little bit ill reading this. Honestly.

• Advertisement

What a car crash...
    not entirely true
    Yeah it is completely true.
    Either you didn't understand the statement, or you thought you seen a chance to get a little pedantic and not help the OP.
    Exactly... Also set of twin both exercise the same but one eats 2500 per day from steak the other 2500 from chocolate who looks better??
    Are you suggesting that they'll look the same?
    The fact that the one who eats the "better" diet looks better is in favour of my post that diet is the deciding factor.
    Slight off topic there about the dieting. Reason that debate started is because posters were talking in absolutes, e.g. its only diet you work on. Im pretty sure anyone would agree that a good combination of good diet and exercise will help lose weight and improve fitness.
    I never said that exercise was irrelevant or that it was only diet. I said diet was the deciding factor. I don't see what is so confusing about that. The OP wanted know if the insanity diet was a good way to lose weight for a wedding. If it was a better option that the 100s out there. I was pointing out that her diet plan is a much more important decision than which brand of exercise she follows.

I never said that exercising doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure of the point to your question.
    Exercising will increase your BMR, which has obvious advantages, but its ultimately a waste of time if you don't eat to suite your goals. It's a pretty simple concept, and I'm a bit shocked that it was lost so easily.
    As for your question. Neither will lose weight if they don't eat a deficit. Again, diet is the deciding factor.

What a car crash...

Yep, plenty of rubber neckers too :D

Anyway back to the actual topic of the thread. Does anyone have any view on the workout the OP is talking about ? He was asking for views on the insanity workout iirc. I'd be interested in hearing some views on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I would ask what the OP's current level of fitness is.

Insanity and P90X and the like are geared towards folks who are already fairly fit to strip off some body fat to get the much sought after "Beach Body"

Neither of these programs would IMHO be suitable as an introductin to fitness for a person who has not done much training previously, and both have advised level of required fitness recommendations.

If anybody was thinking of going from relative couch potato straight into an Insanity type program, I would personally advise that they get a check up from and discuss this with their GP first.

Otherwise if you are fit enough, eat cleanly 90% of the time and reduce calories slightly while working out at that intensity 5 days a week for two months, then of couse you will drop body fat (weight), whether you use Insanity, Concept II rower, crossfit, Kettlebells, traditional circuits, HIIT etc. Folks will need to consistantly put the work in. Simply watching the DVD's will do nothing for them.

I never said that exercising doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure of the point to your question.
    Exercising will increase your BMR, which has obvious advantages, but its ultimately a waste of time if you don't eat to suite your goals. It's a pretty simple concept, and I'm a bit shocked that it was lost so easily.
    As for your question. Neither will lose weight if they don't eat a deficit. Again, diet is the deciding factor.

I agree with you completely. Diet is the main factor if you are trying to lose weight. But working out/exercising helps too.

That's all I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I have tried the workouts. Haven't doen the full 60 day program as this time of year more out doors type of training. It is high intense and very challenging. You would need a good level of fitness but the workouts do make you seriously sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Eat a daily/weekly calorie deficit but don't exercies. Expect results = weight loss
    Eat a maintenance level but don't exercise. Expected results = Stay the same weight
    Eat a daily/weekly calorie surplus but don't exercise. Expected results = Weight gain

Eat a daily/weekly calorie deficit including exercies. Expected results = weight loss
    Eat a maintenance level, including exercise. Expected results = Stay the same weight
    Eat a daily/weekly calorie surplus including exercise. Expected results = Weight gain

You should get exactly the same results whether you exercise or not providing the deficit/surplus is equal.

Nobody is arguing that exercise doesn't help create the deficit or doesn't benefit with regards to fitness, but the simple fact is diet to lose weight, exercise to look good naked. Simple as :)

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Anyway back to the actual topic of the thread. Does anyone have any view on the workout the OP is talking about ? He was asking for views on the insanity workout iirc. I'd be interested in hearing some views on it.
    Its marketed by the same people behind P90X. Looks to be based around cardio, HIIT, plyometrics. Across 10 workout DVDs.

Is most likely pretty high intensity. So it'll burn a decent amount of calories if you put the right effort in. But it's not anything that isn't available online for free. So IMO its not even close to worth the $120+ they are charging.

I never said that exercise was irrelevant or that it was only diet. I said diet was the deciding factor. I don't see what is so confusing about that. The OP wanted know if the insanity diet was a good way to lose weight for a wedding. If it was a better option that the 100s out there. I was pointing out that her diet plan is a much more important decision than which brand of exercise she follows.

Not looking for a row here or anything but can I ask what is your background that you know so much about weight loss?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not looking for a row here or anything but can I ask what is your background that you know so much about weight loss?

Eh, he's right. His background as "proof" of his expertise is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

I was just asking because I was wondering how he/she knew so much about it.

Advertisement