Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

JakeyGriff wrote: »
    You must select the semester from the drop down menu and click 'show results'

We had done that, all previous semesters' results are up but nothing for the one just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If your QCA is 2.00 or above after repeating the F you do not need to repeat the other 2 Ds, they're optional if you want to improve your QCA. Basically, as long as you have no Fs and your QCA is 2 or greater you can have Ds

cheers for that.

im in first year so i just need to scrape past the 2.00 and its a clean slate in second year we're told

anyone know how you go about getting the grades checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JakeyGriff

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yeah I know mate, surely it's not any different this year. Were you below 2.0 when you went into the repeats last year?

I wouldn't think so....My QCA was 1.80(I think) for the year going into the repeats with 2 Fs and had a few Ds also.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    We had done that, all previous semesters' results are up but nothing for the one just gone.

Strange one that. Did ye try selecting 'View All Results' from that menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I wouldn't think so....My QCA was 1.80(I think) for the year going into the repeats with 2 Fs and had a few Ds also.
    Similar enough to me, I'm 1.8 with 1 F and 4 Ds.

If I get a C3 in the F I'm up to 2.06 or something like that. Might repeat one of the Ds too.

garv123 wrote: »
    cheers for that.

im in first year so i just need to scrape past the 2.00 and its a clean slate in second year we're told

anyone know how you go about getting the grades checked?

Ya it is a clean slate so don't worry about that.....

There is some info here about rechecks
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Requests%3A_Transcripts,_Student%20I.D.%20Cards,Letters,_Replacment_Parchments_and_Recheck_Forms

Similar enough to me, I'm 1.8 with 1 F and 4 Ds.

If I get a C3 in the F I'm up to 2.06 or something like that. Might repeat one of the Ds too.

If you work out the different QCA scenarios it might help ya make a decision or post your exact grades here(only if you won't) and more people can give their input....Up to yourself

If you work out the different QCA scenarios it might help ya make a decision or post your exact grades here(only if you won't) and more people can give their input....Up to yourself
    Cheers lad, might do that later. All I wanted to know was whether I HAD to repeat all four or whether the Ds were optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

For a fact I didn't have to repeat all the Ds just the F but I said I'd play it safe and repeat some of em.........If that has changed since it happened me last year I apologize.....I can only go from my own personal experience of the situation
    So I don't have to repeat all four?

Ah here come on lads :pac:
    I had the same issue myself a year ago.....You don't have to repeat the Ds but you have to make sure that you don't get a D in the repeat exam for the F or your QCA could be in trouble and you threw away a chance then. I would recommend repeating at least one of the Ds because you can't do worse than a D in it and it covers your ass if you don't get a c3 in the F module.
    That's only 1, I've to repeat 4?!

What a joke this system is. The F is bringing me down not the Ds.
    Cheers lad, might do that later. All I wanted to know was whether I HAD to repeat all four or whether the Ds were optional.

I have 2 F's aswell. Sweet looks like I'll only have to repeat two so. Delighted, although I have repeats for the stupidet reasons ever.

• Advertisement

Ya no worries. It's just that the Student Records calculates your residual QCA(what you can get if you have no Ds or Fs after the max of 4 repeats) as if you are going to repeat 4 modules, in your case an F and 3Ds so make sure to work out your QCA yourself as if the Ds were to be not repeated but the F is(obviously)......Work it out for the F becoming a D2,D1,C3 and see where you stand then......Sorry about the long winded rant but I've been through it before and it's not nice so if i can help i will....Good Luck with it!

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I have 2 F's aswell. Sweet looks like I'll only have to repeat two so. Delighted, although I have repeats for the stupidet reasons ever.

Glad I could help....Hey, we all do some stupid stuff and say "Why?" but what's done is done and all ya can do now is go grab yourself two C3s in the repeats and maybe a few pints along the way!:D

Glad I could help....Hey, we all do some stupid stuff and say "Why?" but what's done is done and all ya can do now is go grab yourself two C3s in the repeats and maybe a few pints along the way!:D
    Cheers for the help Jakey!

Cheers for the help Jakey!

No worries!

I know woke up half an hour late for an exam and then a module which required online hw to be done to passed I didn't get due to a computer error, I'd say I easily got a B in the exam, lecturer was in no way helpful either. Got so depressed at the end of 2nd semester when I didn't think I'd even pass enough to repeat but absolutely delighted to have the chance to go back. Won't make the same mistakes next year, thats what they all say though :P.

I know woke up half an hour late for an exam and then a module which required online hw to be done to passed I didn't get due to a computer error, I'd say I easily got a B in the exam, lecturer was in no way helpful either. Got so depressed at the end of 2nd semester when I didn't think I'd even pass enough to repeat but absolutely delighted to have the chance to go back. Won't make the same mistakes next year, thats what they all say though :P.

Bad one! Ah well, sure onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

Bad one! Ah well, sure onwards and upwards!

Exactly can't wait for September already.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Whats the story with town tonight? Are the clubs open or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LAC

Well i heard from the brother that trinity is closed down due to rat infestation there recently so i doubt that will be open if you meant in limerick but i doubt any will be opened tonight

Anyone here do Law and Accounting or did Law and Accounting? I got a d1 in Criminal Law 1 just wondering do I have to repeat and pass it for the sake of exemptions if decide to go down that route at the end of my degree.

Also anyone know if lecturers will be replying to emails, have a query and was going to email.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Anyone here do Law and Accounting or did Law and Accounting? I got a d1 in Criminal Law 1 just wondering do I have to repeat and pass it for the sake of exemptions if decide to go down that route at the end of my degree.

Also anyone know if lecturers will be replying to emails, have a query and was going to email.

They should, i had a query for David Fleming on history, he replied the next day which was a bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I'm all for free college education. When I left school 20 years ago I couldn't afford college. So now I'm doing my degree by night and paying nearly €4k per year plus I work 39 hours a week!

Get ur ass out of be in future and appreciate what you have ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

best emailing antoinette flynn or whoever is your advisor..

445279.ie wrote: »
    I'm all for free college education. When I left school 20 years ago I couldn't afford college. So now I'm doing my degree by night and paying nearly €4k per year plus I work 39 hours a week!

Get ur ass out of be in future and appreciate what you have ;)

I know I was so pissed off with myself after it, had pulled more or less an all nighter and decided to have an hour's kip before the exam, set my alarm and all, don't know whether it just didn't go off or I turned it off in my sleep (sounds stupid but has happened a number of times to me).

can anyone answer which QCA must be over 2.00? is it this semesters or is it the average of both semesters?

can anyone answer which QCA must be over 2.00? is it this semesters or is it the average of both semesters?

Your QCA is the first and second semester added together and then divided by 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

A lot of people are saying they failed modules where thay did really well in the project/course work but still failed. Often if you fail any part of the module you fail overall. Worth getting them rechecked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    A lot of people are saying they failed modules where thay did really well in the project/course work but still failed. Often if you fail any part of the module you fail overall. Worth getting them rechecked though.

Indeed ,is it not however a requirement that you be informed that a pass in each component of a module is necessary at the beginning of that module??
    (Section 1.4.3 Handbook of academic regulations and procedures ? ). I've currently got a fail in a module for which i got 32% in coursework , however the lecturer never outlined the basis for course assement at the beginning of the semester

toushea wrote: »
    Indeed ,is it not however a requirement that you be informed that a pass in each component of a module is necessary at the beginning of that module??
    (Section 1.4.3 Handbook of academic regulations and procedures ? ). I've currently got a fail in a module for which i got 32% in coursework , however the lecturer never outlined the basis for course assement at the beginning of the semester

same as you here. none of us were aware of it and we even had to buy the module note book thingys in the print room giving us all the info except for the fact that u had to get a certain grade in the exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

A1, A2, B1, B1 and ... a D1.

****ing stupid module with a worse lecturer. Blight upon
    my records and my QCA.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

@zeouterlimits .Im pretty sure I know you from your username and can assume it was a certain ethics module that gave you that D1. If thats the case it happened to all the top students who took his course the year before too

EDIT: Just realised that that post was creepy sounding. This is Niall from kerry. If you are who I think you are I know your username from gaming in the internet cafe with you before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Thanks for the reply Niall (and hey).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Anybody here do PO4022 in the exams? Got a C1, took it gratefully, it was a hard enough module.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Your QCA is the first and second semester added together and then divided by 2.
    Are you 100% sure on this and what is your source? im getting mixed replies and its a €171 question for me.

does the overall QCA = 2.0 or 2.0 for each semester to pass the year?

anyone speak to SAA that knows about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure on this and what is your source? im getting mixed replies and its a €171 question for me.

Your QCA must be 2.00 for the year. So you can get 2.2 first semester and 1.8 second semester.

You can proceed to next year if your QCA is greater than 2.00 and you have no outstanding Fs.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Your QCA must be 2.00 for the year. So you can get 2.2 first semester and 1.8 second semester.

You can proceed to next year if your QCA is greater than 2.00 and you have no outstanding Fs.

Thats assuming that the total credits for the modules in both semesters are equal

Connavar wrote: »
    Thats assuming that the total credits for the modules in both semesters are equal

Yes and assuming the factor is the same for both semesters.

They usually are for 1st and 2nd year but change for 3rd and 4th.

Tea_Bag wrote: »

The easiest thing to do is just go onto Student Records, View results so far, View all results and see what your Accumulated QCA is next to the last set of results for this semester just gone.

It is 2.0 for the year cause last year I got 1.68 and 2.32 for semester one and two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CoJ265

Anyone know about the grades being capped at a c3? Does this mean that I have to write an A1 standard answer to get a C3? or will any standard higher than a C3 achieve a capped C3 result

CoJ265 wrote: »
    Anyone know about the grades being capped at a c3? Does this mean that I have to write an A1 standard answer to get a C3? or will any standard higher than a C3 achieve a capped C3 result

Second part is right - any standard higher than a C3 achieve a capped C3 result

• Advertisement

CoJ265 wrote: »

you can study your ass off for the repeat and get a A1 in the exam but it will only count as a c3 study your ass off and get a c3 and it will still count as a c3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Hi guys. Does anyone know where I can find a re application form online for someone who has failed the year? It says to submit by email or fax and I don't have a fax machine or scanner so looking for an online copy. It has to be sent in tomorrow.

Every email I am sending to scc@ul.ie is bouncing back now too. Have sent emails to sa@ul.ie but no reply. You'd think they would be really active on the deadline day for re admission applications. Worried now.

gloryutd wrote: »
    Every email I am sending to scc@ul.ie is bouncing back now too. Have sent emails to sa@ul.ie but no reply. You'd think they would be really active on the deadline day for re admission applications. Worried now.

Try saa@ul.ie

• Advertisement

Cheers. I got a reply from them although it had nothing to do with the email I sent them. I shall persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

you can study your ass off for the repeat and get a A1 in the exam but it will only count as a c3 study your ass off and get a c3 and it will still count as a c3

Yeah true, or you could study your ass off, get an A1, remember the material and graduate with some knowledge from your degree... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Is it worth looking for a re-check of exam?

Is'nt it just the same lecturer re-correcting it again?

Is it worth looking for a re-check of exam?

Is'nt it just the same lecturer re-correcting it again?

Lecturer doesn't correct them, an external examiner does so I presume someone else corrects them the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Lecturer doesn't correct them, an external examiner does so I presume someone else corrects them the second time.

Are you sure?

i was under the impression that the lecturer corrected them and the external examiner just took a sample?

Anybody else have any thoughts :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement