Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 2016 timetable consultation: A DART every 10 minute and more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I think there's room for extra peak service on the Docklands/M3 line. As you say Docklands suits a lot more commuter these days and that's only going to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

The changes to the Dublin-Belfast timetable should make the Enterprise service more attractive for commuters, especially cross-border commuters (e.g. Dundalk-Belfast or Newry-Dublin). Those travelling into Dublin will be able to arrive at 0841 (current equivalent 0904) and depart at 1710 (current equivalent 1650), which will be more closely aligned with the traditional 0900 to 1700 working day. For those travelling into Belfast a 0925 arrival, although still a bit on the late side, will be a lot better than the current 0945 arrival. The peak evening departure will still be at 1805, so this will suit anyone who can work from say 0945 to 1745.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

relocating the terminus to Victoria Street would probably knock 10 mins of the timetable. What'd really fix the enterprise is a re-routing of the track via Banbridge instead of Portadown, maybe even a 15 min saving, but pigs will probably fly first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hungerford wrote: »
    On a more general note, the ten-minute DART frequency basically strangles every diesel services in or out of Connolly. I can't see the logic behind not switching to 15 minutes between DARTs during off-peak periods.

That would be because that it would reduce it to 30 minutes for all those customers after Howth Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unfortunately there is a trade-off here between expanding the DART service and operating the longer distance commuter and Intercity services.

Without extensive additional trackwork, it is inevitable that the flexibility to operate such commuter and Intercity services is far more limited due to the extra DARTs that are operating.

One could perhaps argue that outside of certain peak times that a 15 minute DART frequency might be more appropriate, but let's be honest that's not really when the problems with scheduling the commuter services exist - the morning and evening peaks are when they are more critical.

I suspect some rejigging of the Northern line evening peak timetable may be needed, as some of the gaps are probably too long, but this is going to be difficult with the revised DART service.

It highlights the problems of trying to operate a high frequency DART service along with other longer distance services with the limited infrastructure that is in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I think that I've spotted possibly the most useless sequence of DART movements possible within the morning timetable.

There are two services departing from Howth within five minutes of each other.

This might look a bit odd but with the new timetable of one Dart from Howth/Malahide every 20 minutes this train might well be the only train that isn't jam packed every morning for passengers getting on after Howth Junction.

I sometimes get a Dart at Kilbarrack from Howth that arrives 11 minutes after the previous Howth train. There's room on it. That train will be gone next year.

With every 10 minute Dart from Howth Junction onwards now being in reality a 20 minute Dart from it's first stop it means every train will be packed. And the minister says there will be increased capacity with the new timetable? He hasn't got a clue.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    With every 10 minute Dart from Howth Junction onwards now being in reality a 20 minute Dart from it's first stop it means every train will be packed. And the minister says there will be increased capacity with the new timetable? He hasn't got a clue.

Actually, as someone who uses a station beyond Howth Junction to Malahide the timetable is a vast improvement because it resolves all of the current issues that create capacity problems in the evening related to DART only stations and severe overcrowding.

Evening peak looks a bit like this (using times from Clontarf Road)

17:32 to Howth - Seats Avaliable at Clontarf - After Howth Junction not enough people to fill one carriage

17:43 to Howth - Seats Avaliable at Clontarf - After Howth Junction not enough people to fill one carriage, large number of people getting off at Howth Junction to switch to Malahide train.

17:58 to Malahide - Dangerously overcrowded, on occasion people cannot board from Connolly onwards. Passengers passed out in summer. At Howth Junction train is still heavily overcrowded.

18:13 to Howth - Seats Avaliable at Clontarf - After Howth Junction not enough people to fill two carriages.

18:31 to Howth - Seats Avaliable at Clontarf - After Howth Junction not enough people to fill two carriages, large number of people getting off at Howth Junction to switch to Malahide train.

18:46 to Malahide - Dangerously overcrowded, on occasion people cannot board from Connolly onwards.. At Howth Junction train is still heavily overcrowded.

This pattern has played out on a daily basis for the last 9-12 months and it's a disgrace that it took them this long to do something about it.

So I think you'll find that the new timetable is a vast improvement with a regular balanced service between the two lines every 20 minutes on each branch rather than the current arrangement where Howth gets rather more than that and Malahide gets less.

Of course it might mean that someone in Howth, Bayside and Sutton might actually have to sit next to someone for the whole of their journey rather than having a whole bank of 4 seats to themselves after Howth Junction :rolleyes: My heart really bleeds for them, the current timetable absolutely does not match capacity to demand.

Or to put it another way, between 5.30pm and 7.00pm there are six trains on the Howth branch Northbound and just two on the Malahide and both the Malahides are four carriages as well! I honestly can't believe there are commuters on the Howth branch moaning about only getting a train every 20 minutes.

The current DART schedule is too biased in favour of Howth services, that is a fact. There's even a 90 minute gap in Malahide services on Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

of course in dublin 15 at peak hours we're back to buses taken 1.5 hours-2 hours to get out to hartstown/clonsilla/ongar, traffic in dublin city has to be worse than during the last boom.

in the meantime, during peak hours, we have erractic patterns of trains on maynooth line (10 minutes upto 30 minutes) and short trains (including intercity railcars) still being used on the maynooth line.

its still hourly off peak and we still cant get a train later than 9pm on a sunday.

its a complete and utter farce!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

thomasj wrote: »
    of course in dublin 15 at peak hours we're back to buses taken 1.5 hours-2 hours to get out to hartstown/clonsilla/ongar, traffic in dublin city has to be worse than during the last boom.

in the meantime, we have erractic patterns of trains on maynooth line (10 minutes upto 30 minutes) and short trains (including intercity railcars) still being used on the maynooth line.

its still hourly off peak and we still cant get a train later than 9pm on a sunday.

its a complete and utter farce!

A disgrace alright I'd say DART to Maynooth and BRT routes connecting the sprawl of Blanch to the Navan Road Parkway Station was needed desperately about 20 years ago. This situation in 2015 is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm just looking at this from my own (selfish) point of view, I use Kilbarrack daily.

In the morning it looks like all the Darts will be crowded from Howth Junction onwards when at the moment some aren't. In the evening every second train will be full with 20 minutes worth of commuters either going to Howth or Malahide. If they are still 4 carriages long it will chaos.

I've no doubt Malahide users are happy with Darts every 20 minutes, so will Southsiders. With a train every 10 minutes to Bray if one is too short or packed just get the next one. This isn't an option with the line split for Northsiders.

Paying even more next year in fares I was hoping the new timetable would alleviate crushes, not add to them.

• Advertisement

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I've no doubt Malahide users are happy with Darts every 20 minutes, so will Southsiders. With a train every 10 minutes to Bray if one is too short or packed just get the next one. This isn't an option with the line split for Northsiders.

Paying even more next year in fares I was hoping the new timetable would alleviate crushes, not add to them.

The crush in the evening is partly because how bad the split is between the two sections which the new timetable, as long as politics don't see it tore up, should address.

The issue now is the Howth trains are carrying about 50% load to stations between Clontarf and Kilbarack, 25% are getting off at Howth Junction and switching to Malahide and 25% are actually going on that branch.

The Malahide branch you have about 80% going to Portmarnock, Malahide, or Clongriffin and about 20% going to stations at Howth Junction and before and they are absolutely like sardines every night.

What I would suspect to happen now with the new timetable is the Malahide trains will be busy but no longer like sardines and people getting left behind nad the Howth trains will have few spare seats rather than the number they have now.

I was on the 17:43 to Howth from Clontarf last week and there were only 5 people on my carriage after getting off at Howth Junction. I then switched to the Malahide train and I could barely get on there were people standing everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thomasj wrote: »
    short trains (including intercity railcars) still being used on the maynooth line.

agree, but don't expect anything to change in terms of stock. from what i can see IE seem to find it operationally convenient to use regional/intercity stock on local services even though they cannot cope with those services, while robbing your suburban stock for long distance services which don't actually justify the capacity that such suburban stock offers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think that I've spotted possibly the most useless sequence of DART movements possible within the morning timetable.

There are two services departing from Howth within five minutes of each other: 08.00 and 08.05. The shadow Dart terminates in Dun Laoghaire before running five minutes in front of a DART from Bray at 09.10. It then terminates in Connolly before going off to Fairview presumably.

I'm not sure how operating an extra DART at the height of the morning peak is "useless"?

There is a similar extra DART from Bray at 08:00 to Connolly adding extra capacity between the standard interval service.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Oiriallach wrote: »
    The changes to the Dublin-Belfast timetable should make the Enterprise service more attractive for commuters, especially cross-border commuters (e.g. Dundalk-Belfast or Newry-Dublin).

I would argue the opposite. There is a huge issue with the new Belfast morning departure time (06:15 am). It will depart before any of the current local connecting services get to Belfast Central or Portadown.

This means that passengers on the Larne, Bangor and Portadown local lines will be unable to use the service. And there is a surprising amount of such traffic - when connections to that first train have been broken in the past, Translink have had to reschedule local services to reinstate them.

The problem this time is that I cannot see Translink pushing back the start times of their local services by half an hour to accommodate the earlier departure.

I would argue the opposite. There is a huge issue with the new Belfast morning departure time (06:15 am). It will depart before any of the current local connecting services get to Belfast Central or Portadown.

This means that passengers on the Larne, Bangor and Portadown local lines will be unable to use the service. And there is a surprising amount of such traffic - when connections to that first train have been broken in the past, Translink have had to reschedule local services to reinstate them.

The problem this time is that I cannot see Translink pushing back the start times of their local services by half an hour to accommodate the earlier departure.

And for that reason you are suggesting that there shouldn't be an earlier service between the two cities?

There may well be good connecting traffic, but I find it difficult to believe anyone would suggest that there shouldn't be a pre-9am arrival in Dublin on each line in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/train-drivers-may-not-be-able-to-operate-earlier-and-more-frequent-services-unions-34234658.html

Well it was inevitable that this was gonna happen. The unions are basically questioning weather this is even achivable. Dunno if it can be done I did hear a while back that the extra drivers they were supposed to have gotten have ended up replacing existing drivers leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nothing in this for the Maynooth line people. Very disappointing the existing problems haven't even been fixed, whatever about actual service improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Nothing in this for Portmarnock either - trains to city centre between 7 & 8am go from 6 down to 3 and the 6 are packed as it is. Halved coming home too which will be a nightmare. Sent feedback to their link and urge everyone affected to do the same. Ridiculous proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

For my own commute, there isn't much of a difference to me bar a couple of minutes in the changes to the trains I would normally get to and from work.

I would worry that the new DART frequency could cause a lot of headaches for those on the Drogheda/Dundalk commuters. Anytime the 5:49 DART from Pearse to Malahide is delayed, they will always let that go ahead rather than the commuter to Dundalk at 5:55 meaning the commuter gets stuck right behind it. I can be pretty frustrating

Anytime the 5:49 DART from Pearse to Malahide is delayed, they will always let that go ahead rather than the commuter to Dundalk at 5:55 meaning the commuter gets stuck right behind it. I can be pretty frustrating

That train is delayed almost every day due to gross overcrowding and has shocking dwell times due to the fact there are only two northbound Malahide DARTS in 90 minutes in evening peak whereas there are Five Howth in an hou.

Also not helped if you miss that Malahide DART it's 50 minutes till the next one, which causes issues further up the line.

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97940525

The increase in Malahide Darts in the second half of evening peak by over 100% should hopefully alleviate that problem and help things for the commuter sets too, since they are running so full partly because of the lack of DART's to Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I commute to Dublin from Mullingar every day and I can see nothing but problems added to an already unsatisfactory journeys in and out. They are expecting us to leave earlier in the morning and then later in the evening as if our day wasn't long enough. The proposed 18.15 will run only 6 minutes behind a Maynooth train stopping at all stations. There isn't a hope that it wont delay our train every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I commute to Dublin from Mullingar every day and I can see nothing but problems added to an already unsatisfactory journeys in and out. They are expecting us to leave earlier in the morning and then later in the evening as if our day wasn't long enough. The proposed 18.15 will run only 6 minutes behind a Maynooth train stopping at all stations. There isn't a hope that it wont delay our train every single day.
    your a connolly long distance user, so you don't matter it seems. dart must get priority for everything not at some cost, but at all costs. granted dart is an important service but when it slows everything else down to a crawl, we have a problem. i honestly cannot see why they don't try letting non stopping services ahead of darts on a trial basis and see can it work. if not so be it but for god sake try something different for once

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

New timetable has been put on hold apparently due to objections to the extended journey times on the Enterprise by the DRDs Andrew Murray.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I find myself wondering why they've bothered keeping Rosslare Europort open at all, the timings there bear no resemblance to the scheduled ferry services that use the place, and make it impossible for foot passengers to make any sort of sensible connection to or from ferries.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I find myself wondering why they've bothered keeping Rosslare Europort open at all, the timings there bear no resemblance to the scheduled ferry services that use the place, and make it impossible for foot passengers to make any sort of sensible connection to or from ferries.

Ferries and trains seem to be a disaster in this country. With the Rosslare-Waterford line mothballed the only place foot pax could go is in the Dublin direction. Dublin already has ferries, so why bother using Rosslare if you can only go to Dublin from there. Just get the ferry to Dublin and get the train from Dublin. Except you can't reliably as the ferry port doesn't have proper connections with the rail stations or anywhere else in Dublin most of the time. I recently arrived into Dublin on foot at midnight on a Saturday night: there is no bus serving the port at that time and there were no taxis there either. I had to get a family member to come collect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Aside from passengers connecting (or trying to!) with ferries the village of Rosslare Harbour has its own resident population of approx. 1,000 some of whom use the rail service. There are also outlying rural areas and villages which the Harbour (and Strand) would serve as a railhead for with people being met/dropped to the station plus the option of parking at either station (the Strand is still free but a fee applies at the Europort station car park).

There is no longer any bus from Rosslare Harbour or Strand to Dublin so the train offers the only direct connection from Rosslare Harbour and Strand to the city as well as to towns along the route like Gorey and Arklow.

For travelling to France going via Dublin is not an option for foot passengers as the vessel doesn’t carry them.

It’s not a total disaster though as the 16.37 from Dublin connects into the evening sailings out of Rosslare (have used it myself & have seen other ferry passengers alight from it). But this train doesn’t run on Saturdays or Sundays… The 07.20 train from Rosslare offers a connection out of the overnight crossings from Wales. In the Summer the ferry from France berths around 11/11.30 and I’ve seen passengers in double digits off this ferry waiting at Europort platform for the 12.55 train.

It’s common for the buses between Rosslare and Waterford including the 370 route that replaced the train to carry a few ferry passengers.

A plus of going via Rosslare is that all the ferries have a train connection at Fishguard and the whole timetable from Rosslare through to Cardiff and London Paddington is designed to integrate and connect so the amount of waiting around is minimal whereas going out of Dublin at night one is left hanging around Holyhead from just after midnight till 04.25, a tiring prospect and not a very realistic option.

When Stena Line introduced the Superfast ferry out of Dublin earlier this year the connecting bus operated by Mortons from Westmoreland Street had an extra departure each way added connecting out of the midday (forget exact time) arrival from Holyhead and leaving Westmoreland Street at 14.00 to connect into the 15.10 sailing to Holyhead (previously these had no dedicated bus connection). A bus connection from the 23.45 arrival seems a good idea especially at weekends as it would reach the city in time to feed into the last Luas and night buses (both to city suburbs and a number of longer-distance coaches).

But of course it could and should be much better. Between Dublin and Rosslare the maximum number of sailings (arrivals & departures) on a given day is only in the twenties and passengers wishing to connect with each of them should be able to do so with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How many other foot passengers were there on your ferry to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

At Midnight, getting public transport to serve the port is waaay down the list of night time services Dublin needs.

How many foot passengers were there on that sailing?
    What percentage would use PT to travel on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

At Midnight, getting public transport to serve the port is waaay down the list of night time services Dublin needs.

What percentage would use PT to travel on?

when I used the port a few months back, Dublin bus had a bus there to bring us into the city centre... As others have mentioned even at that, very few other buses would run at that stage and Luas until 12:30 only...

• Advertisement

Around 20. Which would be more than the midnight departure on a lot of Nitelinks.

It's probably a chicken and egg situation too. More people would travel if there were reliable connections, and there'd be more reliable connections if more people travelled.

Advertisement