Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Loved True crime streets of LA. Anybody else collect the bones and play as snoop Dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya man, I have great memories of driving a 6 4 as snoop listening to thuggish ruggish bone!

Head of square enix released statement saying activision were crazy for letting this go. have to agree.

Karaoke is confirmed as a mini game and I didn't have much interest until I saw this GIF. I'm fairly sure this is 'I ran so far' by Flock of Seagulls. Instant Vice City memory. I picked up Yakuza 3, just played the opening bit. Gonna give it a proper lash to get in the mood for Sleeping Dogs

sd-karaoke.gif

E3 VID:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I try not to get too hyped for games these days incase they exceed my hopes. But....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I really hope that they're not over-hyping this and it ends up being pants like Saints Row 3. It does indeed look amazing though.

Saints Row 3 was actually a great game.

I would just like to say that there's a certain aspect of ridiculousness in games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 that makes them great funand incredibly playable. GTA San Andreas managed to show a touch of it, too. Your actions had no negative effect, and you could cause an RPG apocalypse while freefalling from five thousand feet.

GTA IV took itself too seriously, and was pure boring for me.

I'll probably be buying Sleeping Dogs, regardless, but unless I can do insane acts of carnage with ease and little consequence to break monotony, it won't be any fun. I want to play a free roaming game, not a true to life simulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There's an interview over on Gamasutra with some of the games' devs if anyone's interested.
    When Grand Theft Auto got so popular, there was a mini-boom of open world games; but open world crime games didn't really solidify into a genre that a lot of companies worked with. It seems like Saints Row has really come into its own, as well. Do you think there's room to capture an audience?

Stephen van der Mescht: Absolutely; I think there's room. I think what we're trying to do with the game, specifically with it being an undercover cop story, is bring a different sort of model of perspective, or a different feel to it. The story is about being a cop, not about being a gangster or a thug. It's about facing those difficult decisions that people in undercover situations have to make.

Achievements/Trophies list revealed. Even more hyped for it now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sleeping-dogs/achievements/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Saints Row 3 was actually a great game.

Complete rubbish compared to the rest tho, so any detractions are valid. I love saints row but 3 was a poor attempt.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Complete rubbish compared to the rest tho, so any detractions are valid. I love saints row but 3 was a poor attempt.

OT I know, but I agree with you about SR3. I couldn't get into it at all. I felt they tipped the balance of craziness to the point where it just wasn't fun for me any more. SR2 is by far the best of them imo.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Achievements/Trophies list revealed. Even more hyped for it now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sleeping-dogs/achievements/

The ones that make me excited:

*spoilered just in case. :)*
    Purchase all vehicles.
    Purchase all clothing.
    Achieving 90% and above for all songs at the Karaoke Bars in HK.
    Hijack 5 trucks and collect their cargo.
    Win 50,000 on a single cockfight.
    Kill someone with a fish.

• Advertisement

Some nice outfits here!

untitled-20cixd.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anyone know what the pc specs are?

anyone know what the pc specs are?

Not sure how reliable these are but:

Minimum Requirements
    CPU: Celeron E1200 Dual-Core 1.6GHz / Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+
    Graphics: GeForce 510 / Radeon HD 4350
    RAM: 2 GB
    DirectX: DX 9
    HDD Space: 9 GB

Predicted Requirements
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83GHz / Athlon II X3 400e
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 260 / Radeon HD 4870
    RAM: 4 GB

Source

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not sure how reliable these are but:

Minimum Requirements
    CPU: Celeron E1200 Dual-Core 1.6GHz / Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+
    Graphics: GeForce 510 / Radeon HD 4350
    RAM: 2 GB

Predicted Requirements
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83GHz / Athlon II X3 400e
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 260 / Radeon HD 4870
    RAM: 4 GB

Source

Q9300 quad core @2.50ghz
    4 gigs ram
    Gtx 260

Hopefully she'll run ok :-)

Anyone else getting this for pc?

looks bloody brilliant, watch in HD. Random gameplay showing fighting, driving, racing, chasing and shooting.

^^Aw fook yeah! :D

Pre-ordering soon. Only a month to go. :)

• Advertisement

New vid of gameplay. That same old level they showed a few times before but devs made a list of improvements and showing it off in this vid. Nice how the enemies don't have red circles under them anymore.

*lighting/shadows look greatly improved,
    *facial expression and details on NPCs look great(those three guys @ 3:08 look awesome),
    *the phone looks better designed and disappears in a stylish fashion,
    *Lanterns now sway in the wind,
    *Wei now screams in pain when hurt,
    *shop items at the stand are now 3d objects instead of 2d images of watches,
    *seems more populated,
    *casual NPC push added(pushing people out the way when your walking),
    *You can now see into a lot of the windows,
    *light is actually coming up from those skylights and you can see in them as well,
    *damaged fan now smokes after being destroyed by enemies face,
    *ragdoll physics seem greatly improved,
    *and the fighting seems to have been great sped up so you're not waiting for guys to attack you, keeps things very tense

New gameplay from Day 2 at the expo. 14 minutes of awesome. This just looks unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

He royally fecked up the show piece stunt at the end there! ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

This game is looking absolutely savage:cool:

Pre-ordered.

He royally fecked up the show piece stunt at the end there! ha!

HAHA ya bad ending alright, so bad they decided to just quit the demo. Sleeping Dogs is looking like the perfect mix of realistic gritty story (gta) and crazy antics (saints row)

• Advertisement

Gamesnash.ie have this up for pre-order now. Just ordered myself, can't waaaaaaaaait!

PS3:
    http://gamesnash.ie/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=2416

Xbox:
    http://gamesnash.ie/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=2417

Video was gas. Love the way he looks around himself at the end then seems to just go "Eh, Feck it, that's Sleeping Dogs!" :P

Really made the game look cool, the fighting and shooting look class.

The only doubts I have about it are the driving. They look very arcadey(similar to Saints Row). I'd prefer a more GTAIV style.

Really looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The fighting looks extremely boring.

You have 6 men around you, and they all seem to just wait for you to finish with 1 guy.
    Only on 1 or 2 occassions have I seen someone trying to help out their buddy getting pummelled or interrupt you, and when they do it's useless and obvious

It should be made more like batman

Ya, have to say it does look crap how only one guy attacks at a time but the devs have made changes since e3 and it was in one of the newer vids that other guys tried to jump in as well. Comic Con will be showing new footage in the next few days, we might see more of it then.

As long as it's better than the spiderman combat system!

I wouldn't mind a combat system like the Assassin's Creed ones. Granted it gets a little repetitive, but you (well at least me) feel like a complete badass when there're 6 dudes lying dead in the street. :P

I just can't wait to throw a guy into the boot of a car and drive off in it. :P

Ah I hope it's not like Assassins Creed, hated that fighting system.

But yeah, I'm definitely gonna pull up beside some civilian, grab em and put em in the trunk, then drive up some Hong Kong montain, take him out and throw him off the top!

Ah I hope it's not like Assassins Creed, hated that fighting system.

But yeah, I'm definitely gonna pull up beside some civilian, grab em and put em in the trunk, then drive up some Hong Kong montain, take him out and throw him off the top!

Nothing like an open world game to bring out the psycho in us. :pac:

anyone else getting this for pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

anyone else getting this for pc?

I plan on it, yeah.

Will it have xbox controller support for pc?

• Advertisement

Check out this guy playing SD at Comic Con with 3 screens and in 3D!

179508_386196634777682_784800681_n.jpg

40 minutes of gameplay vid below. The whole start of the game, I skipped the cutscenes, but wow this looks impressive!!

The NPC's picking their noses was gas.

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/sleeping_dogs_extended_play.html

The driving looks better in that drag race than it did in the previous videos you posted. Still a bit arcadey for my tastes, but I'll make my peace with it.

The fighting looks fun, but not if you didn't like Assassin's Creed I'd say.

One thing I noticed, when he was wrecking the car, both headlights stopped working when he hit the hood on the right hand side. Hope they fix that.

Still psyched for this, but I don't think these vids will win over anyone who wasn't converted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

When is this game out?

Best place to get it?

I loved TCSOLA, that's got to be a good few years old now, I can remember certain parts but nothing concrete.

When is this game out?

Best place to get it?

I loved TCSOLA, that's got to be a good few years old now, I can remember certain parts but nothing concrete.

Out August 14th.

Important to bear in mind that this was never intending to be a True Crime game. Activision just attached the name to it when the studio originally brought them a new IP.

Browning, its out august 17th in europe, I preordered mine from gamesnash.ie

The reason I didnt like assassins creed combat was because it was about stealth kills and then escaping but it was too easy to kill 20 guys and broke the atmosphere. Combat in this looks good, matches the feel of hong kong cinema. Fighting def looks better than previously and guys look to attack you at the same time.

Driving looks like a good mix of gta and saints row. Surveillance mini game looks interesting, dunno why he had that woman arrested though.

This makes me wanna watch some undercover cop kung fu films.

Out August 14th. Important to bear in mind that this was never intending to be a True Crime game. Activision just attached the name to it when the studio originally brought them a new IP.

Its 14th in the u.s,17th in over here

Its 14th in the u.s,17th in over here

Yeah, sorry about that. I keep mixing up the US/Europe dates for both this and ACIII. :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Everything about the game looks good apart from the combat one AI attacking you at a time is kinda boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Youtube version of the above gamespot vid:

Disappointed about lack of dual wield (considering the setting) but still really looking forward to this one!

Yeah, strange that there's no dual wield in it.

That guy from Gamespot is one of the worst presenter/interviewers I have ever seen. He has been covering SD at comic con for gamespot but lads on the official forums flooded his twitter complaining when he cut SD coverage short because they showed too much halo 4.

Can a Mod delete the 'formerly true crime: hong kong' bit from the subject title please?

Yeah, strange that there's no dual wield in it.

That guy from Gamespot is one of the worst presenter/interviewers I have ever seen. He has been covering SD at comic con for gamespot but lads on the official forums flooded his twitter complaining when he cut SD coverage short because they showed too much halo 4.

Can a Mod delete the 'formerly true crime: hong kong' bit from the subject title please?

He's pretty woeful alright, his "banter" with the devs is woeful.

I'd leave it in the thread title, TC is a recognisable name and would draw people into looking at the thread. Be better to edit the first post and put in the new release date as well as the story behind the name change.

I hope the pc version now be a crappy port :>

• Advertisement

I'd leave it in the thread title, TC is a recognisable name and would draw people into looking at the thread. Be better to edit the first post and put in the new release date as well as the story behind the name change.

Yeah thats true alright, I'm afraid this is going to go under a lot of peoples radars. Really hope they increase the difficulty of the fighting, looks too easy at the moment
    I hope the pc version now be a crappy port :>

The devs said the PC version was built from the ground up to take advantage of the new graphics cards on the market. No sign of official specs yet though.

New gameplay vid from 1:30 on. Looks like either a triad or cop upgrade includes getting a bar to jimmy cars with making them faster to break into.

Check out the Voice Cast, Emma Stone, Lucy Liu and a few boys from The Dark Knight and Infernal Affairs

Been some leaks of magazines with review scores. If these are true, then things are looking good.

600x-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Been some leaks of magazines with review scores. If these are true, then things are looking good.

PIC

Yeah looking good indeed though unfortunately they are console reviews. Hoping the PC will be getting similar (or better considering its not a console port!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement