Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

have you tried no7 matyifying make up base? itd quite intense so just use it on your oily areas. foundation simply will not sit on my nose without this stuff :-)

Is that the primer that comes in a white tube?
    If so, I've used that before and found it awful :/ The foundation would go on very clumpy over it, like it wouldn't stick to the primer. The exact opposite thing you want a primer to do! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

have you tried no7 matyifying make up base? itd quite intense so just use it on your oily areas. foundation simply will not sit on my nose without this stuff :-)

I've never even heard of it so thank you very much! I'll have to look in to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The Smashbox Photo Finish primer in Light is pretty good and it's great for evening out skin texture. If that's a bit pricey, the Rimmel Stay Matte primer makes your foundation stick on really well, but it's not as refining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Is that the primer that comes in a white tube?
    If so, I've used that before and found it awful :/ The foundation would go on very clumpy over it, like it wouldn't stick to the primer. The exact opposite thing you want a primer to do! :(

I've never tried that primer so can't comment on it, but your experience sounds like you were mixing a water based foundation with a silicon based primer or the other way around. The two don't mix well so when you pick a primer you need to make sure it's the same type as your foundation.

Here is a decent guide on how to tell which is which.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/25hkqi/how_to_tell_if_your_foundationprimer_is_silicone/

That may not be the issue, but what you describe certainly sounds like it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I've never tried that primer so can't comment on it, but your experience sounds like you were mixing a water based foundation with a silicon based primer or the other way around. The two don't mix well so when you pick a primer you need to make sure it's the same type as your foundation.

Here is a decent guide on how to tell which is which.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/25hkqi/how_to_tell_if_your_foundationprimer_is_silicone/

That may not be the issue, but what you describe certainly sounds like it could be.

Didn't even know that was a thing! Thanks I'll check it out. I've since been using a Gosh primer with no issues though so I might stick with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I got the Look Fantastic December beauty box in the mail over the weekend. I haven't tried any of the products before so am looking forward to all of them...except maybe the collagen drink. I find the idea of that kind of strange

img_7005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Noticed over Black Friday weekend that NYX had free delivery and it's that that stops me from ordering regularly.
    My order arrived today :D

3 Butter Glosses
    Peaches and Cream (3rd from left), Peach Cobbler (red in the middle) and Maple Blondie (2nd from right)

NYX-Butter-Gloss-Swatches.jpg

Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean. I have 'Milk' already and love it as a base!
    nyx2.jpg

2 Ultra Pearl Pigment eyeshadows
    True Purple (2nd) and Lilac (3rd)

IMG_5863.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Well ladies (& gents!) my MUR surprise gift arrived yesterday & boy did they outdo themselves!!!

MakeupRevolutionGift.jpg

ALL of these products were sent to me FOC!!!!

And all because I ordered from them a few days in advance of their Black Friday weekend free gift offer. :o

When I sent them a polite emailing asking if there was any way I could be included in the offer, i got an amazing reply from their CEO with a promise to send on the gift & some extra goodies, despite the fact that my order had already been dispatched!

What a fantastic way to treat customers...some of the more exclusive & longer established companies could learn a thing or two about customer service from these guys!

Th quality is superb as usual.

The only products I have tried & not liked have been their matte effect foundation & their ultra face base.

Everything else is just out of this world for value & quality. :)

The pic doesn't include any of the items from my actual order, just the free gifts! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

How much did you have to spend to get the gift? That's amazing what you got. Fair play to them. You must be delighted with yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Tilly wrote: »
    How much did you have to spend to get the gift? That's amazing what you got. Fair play to them. You must be delighted with yourself :)

Yes, delighted & really amazed!!

If you spent £25 from Black Friday through to the Tuesday, you qualified for the gift worth another £25.

I actually spent just £22.50 excl postage on the previous weekend.

I have spent a small fortune on numerous previous orders so I think that helped!! Lol

But they still did not have to do that...I am sooooo impressed!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My Make Up Revolution order came yesterday and I am in love. It was like Christmas. Can't write about it properly sorry, too distracted by make up. I will say this - their brush cleaner is as good as any of the €20 plus ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I had a weak moment a while ago. I've been lusting over the Pixi Ultimate Beauty Kit 2nd Edition for a few weeks and finally caved.
    This is definitely the last palette I get for a long long time. It's so pretty though and has got good reviews.

ultimatebeautykit2edition-close-09jul14-web.jpg

ultimatebeautykit2edition-open-05jul14-web.jpg

The right and left sections are made up of 40 cool and warm eye shadows and in the centre there are 12 blush and highlight shades.

Can't wait to play with it when it arrives. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

keredern wrote: »
    Well ladies (& gents!) my MUR surprise gift arrived yesterday & boy did they outdo themselves!!!

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/keredern/keredern002/MakeupRevolutionGift.jpg

ALL of these products were sent to me FOC!!!!

And all because I ordered from them a few days in advance of their Black Friday weekend free gift offer. :o

When I sent them a polite emailing asking if there was any way I could be included in the offer, i got an amazing reply from their CEO with a promise to send on the gift & some extra goodies, despite the fact that my order had already been dispatched!

What a fantastic way to treat customers...some of the more exclusive & longer established companies could learn a thing or two about customer service from these guys!

Th quality is superb as usual.

The only products I have tried & not liked have been their matte effect foundation & their ultra face base.

Everything else is just out of this world for value & quality. :)

The pic doesn't include any of the items from my actual order, just the free gifts! :eek:

I ordered from them on black Friday and when it arrived one of the lip glosses had burst in the packaging. I had intended most of the stuff I ordered as a gift for someone but couldn't get the sticky residue off of half of the products so had to leave them out.

I emailed them to let them know and they didn't even offer to replace the broken lip gloss or the products it damaged when it leaked since they were part of the free gift. I wasn't too annoyed because it was just the free stuff anyway, but I would have expected them to at least offer to replace them. They offered me a 25% discount code for my next order that can't be used until after Christmas.

Glad you had a good experience with their customer service but it certainly doesn't seem to be consistent. It wasn't my first time ordering from them either so it felt like a pretty crappy way to treat a repeat customer, especially with the added "you can't use this till after christmas" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Luno wrote: »
    Where could one find that lorac palette, definitely something for the list!

Amazon us send it here. Comes to about 47 euro. The primer is comes with is the best I've ever tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

whatever76 wrote: »
    Any one try - Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat lashes ? is it Worth the money ?!!

Haven't tried it yet but it is very small for the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ladies, would anyone here have any experience with EL Double Wear Maximum Cover? I've used the regular DW in the past, was happy with it for a few months but then went back to MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I've just seen a youtube tutorial using the Maximum Coverage and it looks amazing! I'm keen to try it but would like to hear how others have found it first.

For reference, I'm NW30 in MAC and I have patches of acne scarring, mainly on my chin and forehead. Those would be my biggest concerns when picking a full coverage foundation.

Any advice appreciated! x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I used to wear it in my teens when I had bad skin. It's a lot like double wear in terms of application if I remember correctly, but you couldn't just wear it on it's own because it looks a bit mask like, you need to always contour or wear blusher. The one problem I found with it is that if you start to blend powder products on it, it cakes and lifts, but that could just be my skin... You don't need concealer with it though, it does have fantastic coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Picked up No7 products for Mum for Christmas. 3 for 2!:D Protect and Perfect day and night creams and the primer. Also got the Ecotools brush set for her.

Treated myself to the Sleek Vintage Romance palette. Love the colours and they stay on all night. Really impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Santa is bringing me a Babyliss Curl Secret for christmas (on offer in Argos for a great price atm). SO EXCITED to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Santa is bringing me a Babyliss Curl Secret for christmas (on offer in Argos for a great price atm). SO EXCITED to try it.

I am so jealous :( I was looking at them the last day and dreaming. Santa has already got my presents, and I don't think I can justify buying it for myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone try the new L'Oreal True Match Crayon Concealer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I used to wear it in my teens when I had bad skin. It's a lot like double wear in terms of application if I remember correctly, but you couldn't just wear it on it's own because it looks a bit mask like, you need to always contour or wear blusher. The one problem I found with it is that if you start to blend powder products on it, it cakes and lifts, but that could just be my skin... You don't need concealer with it though, it does have fantastic coverage.

how is it for oily skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Look what Santa is bringing for me!!

http://www.urbandecay.com/vice-3-eyeshadow-palette-by-urban-decay/246.html

Sooooooo excited to get it now.

And yes, I did purchase this for myself from Santa haha my justification is that my little boy gets upset if Santa doesn't bring me some presents too as one year he didn't and my LB said I had been 'a good mammy' so should have gotten something...so now Santa always puts a box of chocs and something that I've been after for a while into my stocking whether a bottle of nail varnish or whatever. This year he is REALLY spoiling me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I got the L'Oreal Paris Million Lashes So Couture mascara recently and although I like the mascara and love how black it is, I really dislike the rubbery want it comes with. It just gives a spidery look which I hate, so I've just been using the mascara with the wand from my No exquisite curl and Diorshow Iconic mascara, love those two wands.

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-Million-Lashes-So-Couture-mascara_1505277/

Got the true match foundation as well, I really like it, but its very yellow so I have to wear bronzer over it to tone down the yellowness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I had an awful day in work (verbally abused by the customer who was very personal with his insults because he was mad I wouldn't give him something from way cheaper than it was priced) so I got to open this early :P

It's amazing. I have really, really, really think hair and I was able to do my whole head in about 15 minutes. Curls lasted a day and a half before I decided to straighten them out.

Speaking of straightening, the LOreal Elnett Heat Protect Spray Straight I picked up a few weeks ago is giving me the kind of straight hair I only get in the hairdresser. Highly recommend! It straightened out my curls from above with only a stroke or two with the straightener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So it's been on my wish list for a while but yesterday I took the plunge and finally brought the babyliss big hair hot air brush. Wow, it really is amazing. It gave a lovely movement and bounce to my hair. It really lasted as well as usually my hair goes as flat as a pancake after an hour , but hair still looked voluminous at 3am! Attaching pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

panda100 wrote: »
    So it's been on my wish list for a while but yesterday I took the plunge and finally brought the babyliss big hair hot air brush. Wow, it really is amazing. It gave a lovely movement and bounce to my hair. It really lasted as well as usually my hair goes as flat as a pancake after an hour , but hair still looked voluminous at 3am! Attaching pic

I got it for Christmas last year and honestly I'll never go to the haidresser just for a blowdry as long as I have it. Your hair looks fab :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I just got the Mane and Tail conditioner and ive only used it twice but am loving it so far! Cliche but I do think my hair looks healthier and fuller (and soft of course after using!) definitely want to try a few more of their products now
    conditoner12oz.jpg

Also using L'oreal kids tangle tamer on recommendations from here (Cant find a picture for some reason?) and bar the horrible smell of pear, it does certainly do a good job of bringing my hair back to normality after a shower haha!

Not really relevant to this thread but just had a thought, would it be at all possible to stage some kind of "Beauty forum product of 2014 awards"? Where people can vote in different categories for products that have proven to be holy grail? It might be a nice idea having the compilation, but I can see it being a very exhaustive process.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Just got my brother to buy me the new Inglot HD foundation today as my present for christmas day.......just had to try it out when I got home (I have no will power). I really like it, it's medium/full coverage. Not watery and the finish is matte. Don't really know how it compares to my MUFE hd foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

panda100 wrote: »
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I got it for Christmas last year and honestly I'll never go to the haidresser just for a blowdry as long as I have it. Your hair looks fab :)

I have short hair now but I used to have really long hair and this was by far my favourite hair tool. If I was going away anywhere it was the only thing I brought with me. So good for casual and formal styling. Thoroughly got my money's worth out of it :)

Advertisement