Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Hi Pete. Thanks for the info in your posts. What exactly causes the fuel surcharge to be eliminated? I have looked online and am still no clearer. How does it just disappear from the cost of booking?

Nice video and article that the Economist did that explain it http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2013/11/fuel-dumping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just be warned that just because you've got a genuine booking from the airline doesn't mean that it isn't a scam. I've been at the wrong end of this before, when my debit card details were stolen: the way the scam works is that the scam site allows you to book a flight at a great price and charges your card for it. Behind this they use a stolen card to actually fulfill the transaction and so a genuine confirmation is sent from the airline. Once the stolen card holder find our about the fraud the transactions will be cancelled and reversed.

So just be warned about these great prices from unknown websites
    Bad reviews aside, Logitravel is clearly not a scam site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Bad reviews aside, Logitravel is clearly not a scam site.

I think oppenheimer is just trying to say in general be careful of really good deals from dodgy sites. Its clear these guys arent dodgy as theyve been trading a long time but worth noting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

As DelBoy puts it, "no fry for me Marge & Tina" to the cafe lady after he started his New Year's diet circa 1984:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

ro23 wrote: »
    Nice video and article that the Economist did that explain it economist .com/blogs/gulliver/2013/11/fuel-dumping

Thank you ro23. Have just booked London/Tashkent with a brief
    Recife/ Maceió return thrown in.
    But WTF is a real?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Anyone coming over to B.A for st paddys give me a shout nearer the time for info. Living over here, there is plenty to do. Will sort you out with tips, do's and donts etc.

Permanent resident. Married to a local. Hope the deal works out for you all.

Anyone coming over to B.A for st paddys give me a shout nearer the time for info. Living over here, there is plenty to do. Will sort you out with tips, do's and donts etc.

send you some tayto if you send me some alfajores! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Any idea how I can check my connecting flight from Argentina to Brazil I can't find how to do it on the LAN website?

My ticket has a 044 prefix.

044 is Aerolineas Argentinas

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

Has anyone had any luck pre-assigning a seat on the long haul legs and if so how did you do it.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any luck pre-assigning a seat on the long haul legs and if so how did you do it.

I did a search and apparently LH dont allow pre seat selection before check in below business class fare. You can call them and pay for it only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Just checked on skyscanner and the deal is showing at €373 return. Seems like a legit deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Can I ask what the weather is like in July m. It's the only time I can go but would like some warm weather for my summer holidays!:)

Can I ask what the weather is like in July m. It's the only time I can go but would like some warm weather for my summer holidays!:)

daily_high_and_low_temperature_temperature_c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Thanks for the offer Magico, I'll be jumping in with family when it comes to accommodation and activities but I have a head start of a day or two on them so might take you up on that offer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Del007

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

Cold. It's winter in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Flights booked for June. Too good to turn down really, Thanks OP.

MissNomer wrote: »
    Cold. It's winter in July.
    I wouldn't call 10+ degrees cold, it actually sounds perfect to me.

I wouldn't call 10+ degrees cold, it actually sounds perfect to me.

Hardly 'summer holiday' weather though. It's not freezing cold but definitely not warm. It's colder than summer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dadoffay

Hardly 'summer holiday' weather though. It's not freezing cold but definitely not warm. It's colder than summer in Ireland.

Days are short, that's the main issue for me in winter season in Southern Hemisphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just pulled the trigger, me and a friend. 2 Weeks at the end of April/start of May. Couldn't afford not to at those prices. Have a funny feeling for the first 6 months of this year there'll be a lot of flights from Germany to Brazil/Argentina full of Irish people nodding and mouthing "Boards?" to each other :D

dadoffay wrote: »
    Days are short, that's the main issue for me in winter season in Southern Hemisphere.

Is a ferry ride over to Uruguay a good idea? Seems like it might be worth a day trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Posts removed.

For anyone who wants to discuss aviation matters here is a link to correct forum:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905

Back on topic please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

cheers Magico,

just booked this for March 16 to 23rd

could you tell me at what time dusk comes in at that time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Colonia del Sacramento, is the closest Uruguayan city to Buenos Aires reached by express ferry taking an hour.

The historical heart of Colonia is well worth it. Half of the Colonia’s residents make a living from car parts - if you admire vintage American cars you will see quite a few in this town.

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 davebushe

SwimFin wrote: »
    Colonia del Sacramento, is the closest Uruguayan city to Buenos Aires reached by express ferry taking an hour.

The historical heart of Colonia is well worth it. Half of the Colonia’s residents make a living from car parts - if you admire vintage American cars you will see quite a few in this town.

Recommended.

Seconded. This is a fantastic day trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

How many hours flying would this trip take and also is buenos aires highly recommended as a city to visit and how many days would be recommended to stay their to explore it properly? Also one more question and sorry about this but what would the weather be like in March. Seriously considering booking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Hey guys,

Am I right in saying that IF Logitravel cannot honour the fare and ask for more money (as they seem to have done in the past) that I'll receive a full refund?

They seem legit... just with terrible reviews.

C2911 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Am I right in saying that IF Logitravel cannot honour the fare and ask for more money (as they seem to have done in the past) that I'll receive a full refund?

They seem legit... just with terrible reviews.

Not really. There is one main thread on one website with terrible reviews, most of them about hotel reservations. There's barely anything about flights. As others have pointed out, any online travel agent has negative reviews and people accusing them of being scammers, even Expedia. They ALL screw up sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Is a ferry ride over to Uruguay a good idea? Seems like it might be worth a day trip.

Yes an hour to Colonia, supposed to be a beautiful town plus another country off the bucket list :)

• Advertisement

notreve wrote: »
    cheers Magico,

just booked this for March 16 to 23rd

could you tell me at what time dusk comes in at that time of year?

I will be on the same flight back, Gets dark around 7 or so, temp 22-27 or so

SNNUS wrote: »
    Yes an hour to Colonia, supposed to be a beautiful town plus another country off the bucket list :)

Is that an hour from Buenos Aires? That would be tempting. Apparently the Iguazu Falls are unmissable too, and the crossing over to Santiago de Chile over the Andes is meant to be amazing. Doing all that would mean visiting Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile! Initially I just wanted to 'do' Argentina properly but the geography of the country makes it difficult - all the best places are in opposite ends of the country. So not sure what to prioritise now.

Don't forget Patagonia also, incredible scenery down there

Is that an hour from Buenos Aires? That would be tempting. Apparently the Iguazu Falls are unmissable too, and the crossing over to Santiago de Chile over the Andes is meant to be amazing. Doing all that would mean visiting Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile! Initially I just wanted to 'do' Argentina properly but the geography of the country makes it difficult - all the best places are in opposite ends of the country. So not sure what to prioritise now.

Yes it is an hour from BA, hard to get an itinerary for 2 weeks!

SNNUS wrote: »
    Yes it is an hour from BA, hard to get an itinerary for 2 weeks!

Yep. I wish I could do longer. Torn between sticking to BA and its surrounds this time around and just trying to do as much as possible in case I don't get back.

My main dilemma seems to be this - do I stick to BA and the east side of the country, doing Iguazu Falls and Colonia, or do I travel across the country to Mendoza and go over the Andes by bus to Santiago and stay a few days in Chile (I want to go to Valparaiso)?

Yep. I wish I could do longer. Torn between sticking to BA and its surrounds this time around and just trying to do as much as possible in case I don't get back.

My main dilemma seems to be this - do I stick to BA and the east side of the country, doing Iguazu Falls and Colonia, or do I travel across the country to Mendoza and go over the Andes by bus to Santiago and stay a few days in Chile (I want to go to Valparaiso)?

I think we will get to see BA and surrounds and then head to Uruguay for a week then back to BA to fly out.. All subject to change of course :)

How long does a bus to Santiago take? You're driving across half the continent!!

SwimFin wrote: »

Recommended.

Would i be right in saying the 1 hour ferry trip is around 200 euro return?

That bus from Mendoza is seriously beautiful, lots and lots of windy roads. I didn't think much of Santiago at all but Valparaiso is well worth seeing.

• Advertisement

How long does a bus to Santiago take? You're driving across half the continent!!

Think it's about 14 hours to Mendoza, which isn't too bad as you can get an overnight bus (which then also saves finding and paying for accommodation). I'm interested in seeing Mendoza anyway. It's then another 6-8 hours across the Andes to Santiago. So not too bad. I could do 4 days in BA, over to Mendoza for a couple of days, a few days in Chile and then back. I don't think that's too onerous and would give me at least a solid feel for both countries. The issue is that there's also the Iguazu Falls, Colonia etc. on the other side and they seem a more doable and logical thing to do from BA.

That bus to Santiago looks very tempting, but I'll be going in Winter time so it doesn't seem worth the risk, reading online the weather can force border closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Think it's about 14 hours to Mendoza, which isn't too bad as you can get an overnight bus (which then also saves finding and paying for accommodation). I'm interested in seeing Mendoza anyway. It's then another 6-8 hours across the Andes to Santiago. So not too bad. I could do 4 days in BA, over to Mendoza for a couple of days, a few days in Chile and then back. I don't think that's too onerous and would give me at least a solid feel for both countries. The issue is that there's also the Iguazu Falls, Colonia etc. on the other side and they seem a more doable and logical thing to do from BA.

I'd plan something similar if it weren't for the fact I'd be going in early May and I'm not sure how much snow they'd have in the mountains then.

I'm still humming and hawing about this. Part of me is telling me not to bother, and another massive part is saying that this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to South America for so little.

I'd plan something similar if it weren't for the fact I'd be going in early May and I'm not sure how much snow they'd have in the mountains then.

I'm still humming and hawing about this. Part of me is telling me not to bother, and another massive part is saying that this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to South America for so little.

I'd be there mid-April myself. Bit worried about snow as it makes the road more dangerous, but April is the only time I can go!

That's the reason I booked it - the thought that this kind of fare might never happen again. I can pretty much have my entire holiday (using Couchsurfing and hostels) for the same price as a normal flight ticket. I've wanted to go to South America most of my life but never actually got around to going because the flight prices were so much higher than other destinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Reading this thread, it is remarkable the amount of people who are thinking of heading off to South America yet who seem reluctant to do the most basic research. Average temperature for a particular time of year, sights close to BA, bus journey times etc - all of this info a few clicks away on Google.
    Travel involves independent research and is part of what makes it fun. In order to enjoy fully a trip to BA, you will need to do some research on the above questions and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Del007 wrote: »
    Have been playing around with the Flipo links on this site, and can see return flights Madrid to Rio for Pln 992 which is €232. An example is out of Madrid on 6th March and returning 21st March. Looking at skyscanner, rtn flights from Dub to Mad are around €70 on those dates. So anyone looking at Brazil instead of Argentina could be there for €300 odd by the looks of it.Obviously this would increase with checked bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Have been playing around with the Flipo links on this site, and can see return flights Madrid to Rio for Pln 992 which is €232. An example is out of Madrid on 6th March and returning 21st March. Looking at skyscanner, rtn flights from Dub to Mad are around €70 on those dates. So anyone looking at Brazil instead of Argentina could be there for €300 odd by the looks of it.Obviously this would increase with checked bags

Actually I see coming back it's Sao Paolo to Berlin via Madrid. Not sure if you could get off in Madrid (doubt it) but coming back from Berlin shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

BA has so many different districts that it's worth staying in more than one. I'd recommend around 5 nights in BA alone. But it depends what you're into. A lot of the sights are architecture and museum type stuff. Although a steak dinner in somewhere like la Cabrera, going to a boca soccer game, visiting Tigre, tango show and going out to one of the big nightclubs are good not too artsy type things to do. Porteños eat late and go out late. Nightclubs can be empty up to 2 am.

You'd do a trip to Uruguay in a day. Weather depending. Colonia is OK. As is Montevideo. Not overly worth a day trip. It's kinda boring. But if you wanna cross another country off the list it's easy to do.

Iguazu is definitely a highlight. I'd advise both sides. You'd need about 2 days for that. One for Argentina side and another for the Brasilian side. You can easily cross over to brasil on buses marked cataratas. No need to sleep in brasil. But remember it's almost 24 hours up to iguazu from Buenos Aires. So you'd use 4 days on the trip. The buses are comfortable. But are expensive. And there can be delays. So don't take times a precise.

There isn't too many of the highlights close by Buenos Aires. Córdoba is nice but still a good number of hours away. To go to Ushuaia you'd be better flying. Especially from March onwards due to snow. Mendoza is a nice city. As is Bariloche. But they are the other side of the andes and over 15 hours away minimum. Depending on time of year you'll be going the bus trip over the andes can be delayed or cancelled due to snow. Roads become impassable. So you'll have to account for that. Especially if trying to make it back for a flight. I was stuck waiting 4 days in early April to get back to Buenos Aires from Mendoza. But I had lots of time to kill.

If there's one thing I'd recommend. It's not to try seeing too much over large geographical areas. Unless you'll be flying internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

From March onwards the weather can be unpredictable in the Andean region. Probably more chance of heavy snowstorms in April and May however. I've crossed a few times by bus. Twice to get to Mendoza and once to get to Santiago. I went in April once and May twice. Each time I was impacted by snow. The longest was 4 days. And the shortest was about 24 hours. The border crossing was closed. So I'd definitely account for delays. But it's luck of the draw when it comes to weather. Forecasts in advance aren't much use as the weather can change very quickly there.

Thanks a mill for the advice, El Horseboxo! I think I'll give Uruguay a miss so - not particularly interested in going just to tick it off, especially as that return ferry trip appears to be mega expensive. I'm travelling on a serious budget so trying to keep costs as low as I can. That also rules out internal flights in most cases.

I'm going mid-April and it appears from my first stages of research that there's a chance of snow in the Andes at the time even though it's the start of autumn. Anyone been and can chime in on how likely this is? Crossing the Andes is definitely well up there on my wishlist but the idea of being stuck in Chile and missing my flight home isn't.

I keep hearing that the Iguazu falls are unmissable - would I really need two days? I'd love to go but 4 days is a lot out of a short trip. I'd most likely take an overnight bus there/back if possible.

Hearing very mixed reviews of BA itself. I'm a woman travelling alone and a lot of stuff there is to do there isn't that much fun alone - I'd be counting on meeting people over there. What I do keep reading is how dangerous it is, especially regarding street muggings and so on. This is putting me off quite a bit. I've never been to Latin America before, or any country with a high crime rate. Not too fussed about museums to be honest - I always go because I feel like I should, but they're never a highlight and I never remember them afterwards.

If anyone has a month or more then I would recommend what I did.

I arrived in June, spent a week in BA and flew to Usuaia which I think was less than $100 at the time (June 2006) it was during the football World Cup so there was a good atmosphere around until Argentina went out.

I bussed it all the way up to Peru via Santiago. You cross over between Argentina and Chile numerous time on the way up but the scenery is absolutely incredible. If I remember correctly it took me about 4 weeks to get to Santiago. The distances are LONG but it's so worth it.

I would highly recommend it. It was bloody cold there but it's well well worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement