Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

BandMember wrote: »
    Hey everybody, just found this thread and it makes great reading while offering some great advice and tips!

I'm just wondering, can anyone recommend a good electric toothbrush? I'm brushing a couple of times a day (pretty much after every meal) but I know myself that I'm getting everything properly and I don't want to cause any further problems down the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

I use this one. I think I might have saw it mentioned in this thread from back in 2013
    I can't post URL links, but if you search for this product code on Amazon uk you'll find it:
    Code: B007WSAAQ2

And with these head brushes that were mentioned somewhere in this thread too
    Code: B003U9V7R8

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

Digiby wrote: »
    Two molars and two pre-molars had to go, all healthy.

After I got two of my teeth pulled I was beginning to question why the hell I agreed to this.
    What was worse, was the next two teeth that were pulled was even more unpleasant.

My guy tolday me I needed the 2 pre-molars (behind canines) out on top and bottom, I'm assuming to match up. Was there any reason you only needed 2 pre-molars?

I kind of regret not insisting on getting the 2 behind those out .. 2nd premolar I guess. The gap is really obvious and now I am also questioning what the hell have I done!

I had a number 4 and 5 out on my bottom teeth. The first pre-molar on the left and the second on the right.
    Then two 6's on top. I think I had a small filling in one of them so they chose to take that one instead of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Finallly getting them off tomorrow .... cant wait, last month with elastics was incredibly sore, so worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hey guys!
    Get my braces on tomorrow! I know I'll hate them at first, but only 2years or so and I'll be able to smile wide!eek!

So nervous for tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Best of luck :)

They take getting used to , but seriously end results will be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

My braces are finally off! It's been close to 20 months. I should have only had them on for 10-12 months, but it turns out a lot of my roots were turned.

Hey guys!
    Get my braces on tomorrow!

Best of luck
    Got 2 more teeth out yesterday .. horrible, but thats me done with the extractions.
    Back in a week to get the wire from canines to the molars, top and bottom. Currently it is only on the front 6

Have noticed movement already though in the 1st month!!

You'll be surprised how quick they start moving.

It was about 8 months after I had the wire on my top teeth before they extended the brackets and wire to my molars.
    The bottoms ones had them on from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

The bottom braces came off today! I'm braces free! :D

I have the permanent retainer on the bottom, which I can not stop poking with my tongue, and the removable one on top that I'm wearing all the time except when eating. In the new year, I can start wearing it only at night.

My mouth feels so empty without all that hardware! My teeth look so BIG! Well, they do to me at least, but I'm assured by everyone that they're still a normal size :)

Getting braces was hands down the best money I've ever spent. I'm smiling so much more already because I'm not self-conscious about how I might look. I have an old makeup bag in the bathroom full of lipsticks and liners that I can dig out and start using again, and not just on special occasions either!

• Advertisement

Well that's me! Got top and bottom on today, metal brackets plus wire and two bite stops. It's honestly not even sore (yet- my sister assures me the pain will come)
    Just feel like I want to bite down?

I actually like the look of them! So relieved! I was convinced I'd hate them!

Back on Feb 5th for spacers and two weeks later for the metal rings on my two bottom molars.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

jokettle wrote: »
    The bottom braces came off today! I'm braces free! :D

I have the permanent retainer on the bottom, which I can not stop poking with my tongue, and the removable one on top that I'm wearing all the time except when eating. In the new year, I can start wearing it only at night.

My mouth feels so empty without all that hardware! My teeth look so BIG! Well, they do to me at least, but I'm assured by everyone that they're still a normal size :)

Getting braces was hands down the best money I've ever spent. I'm smiling so much more already because I'm not self-conscious about how I might look. I have an old makeup bag in the bathroom full of lipsticks and liners that I can dig out and start using again, and not just on special occasions either!

How long do you have to wear the upper one full time?

pillphil wrote: »
    How long do you have to wear the upper one full time?

6 weeks. So New Years Eve will be my last day of wearing them full time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

eugh, got the archwire extended to my last back teeth, and power chains on top, sore sore sore. its funny how you forget how sore it is for the week after a tighten. painkillers all the way. 6months to go. the count down is on.

Day two.

Dear God they hurt! How long does the pain last? Brushing them is awful!
    Also I can't bite down on anything harder than soggy bread!

Ouch.

Also just wondering,getting the braces on is just that right? I won't see any movement begin until after the first tightening? (early February)

Day two.

Ouch.

Also just wondering,getting the braces on is just that right? I won't see any movement begin until after the first tightening? (early February)

The pain/discomfort for me lasted a day or two. I ate a lot of risotto every time they changed the wires! Painkillers can help if you need them.

The braces will start to work from now, but sometimes the movement will be slow so you might not notice anything straight away. Take some pictures now, and take pictures the day of your next appointment, and you'll see if there's been any changes. I thought nothing much had happened in the first 8 weeks between appointments, but my pictures told a much different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

fairytalegirl, i dont envy you, that sore tender feeling i got after every single appointment and usually lasted a week or so after the app (though everyone is different, my ortho recons im super sensitive) you will notice movement all the time, the teeth shift around, you can even feel them loosening before moving (well i did) mine had to jig around a good bit before they began to bring in the overbite. this didnt really happen untill i got the power chains on. do as jokettle says and take pics, its great to see the difference, its great to see, and makes up a bit for the pain.

today i am still in bits, this i think is the worst its been so far, i have ulcers everywhere from the wires, i am so unbelievably sore. not even mentioning the tender biting down, it hurts to even move my mouth to speak, so im saying nothing. nearly a week and its not after relieving any bit.

Day two.

Ouch.

My teeth were sore for about a week when I first got them on.
    If your teeth are sore it means they are already moving.

With each visit, the pain isn't as bad as when you first get them on.
    Mine are usually sore for two days after an adjustment, whether its the archwires being changed or powerchains put on. By the third day it beings to subside.

I usually stick to soup and soft filling sandwiches for the first few days.

Day 4!

Pain has subsided thank god. Still can't bite down on anything other than soft food but brushing is a tad more bearable!

Straycat I'm glad you mentioned the teeth loosening because I swear one on my top left is loose. It has a funny pressurey feeling and I can feel it moving when I poke it with my tongue!

Starting to cut the inside of my mouth now, the wax is my friend lol

I defs will take a picture to see the difference! Be nice to compare!

Had a bit of trouble with the last 2 extractions.. lots of pain so got them dressed yesterday. Im sick of the whole thing now... will be getting wires extended and tightened on Thursday and these last 2 extractions are still not healing very well. ... at that stage thinking 'what have I done'

Im so paranoid about the gaps, expecially up close talking to people... horrible feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

I'm getting braces fitted on Jan 9th, at the age of 44 and a half. I will be reading this thread from beginning to end beforehand. I need to have a tooth removed before this - I've booked the dentist's appointment for Jan 8. I'm wondering has anybody done this the day before getting braces, would it be less traumatic if I got it removed earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I'm getting mine on in late January! Ceramic top and metal bottom. I want to be extra cautious around keeping them clean,how often should I get a clean at my hygienist during braces treatment does anyone know? Also I've been told 2 to 2.5 years, I'm really hoping that's an over estimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Got my clear ceramics (self ligature) fitted this morning, top only. Bottoms arent too bad so wont need them fitted for while, need to move the top teeth out of way first.

Duration is 9-12 months so happy out.

Fitting is very easy, moulds first, grand, brackets then glued on and then the wire put on. Can notice the tension straight away.

Not much pain, just slight dull headache atm. No change to speech.

Great thread.

PippaChic wrote: »
    I need to have a tooth removed before this - I've booked the dentist's appointment for Jan 8. I'm wondering has anybody done this the day before getting braces, would it be less traumatic if I got it removed earlier?

I'd say if your ortho is happy with that, then go with it. I got braces on, extractions 2 weeks later, more 2 weeks later and then brace adjustment a week later. Its traumatic either way, so the sooner the hard part is behind you the better

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

Brendygg wrote: »
    Got my clear ceramics (self ligature) fitted this morning, top only. Bottoms arent too bad so wont need them fitted for while, need to move the top teeth out of way first.

Duration is 9-12 months so happy out.

Fitting is very easy, moulds first, grand, brackets then glued on and then the wire put on. Can notice the tension straight away.

Not much pain, just slight dull headache atm. No change to speech.

Great thread.

Is your wire teeth coloured or steel??

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Hi all,
    I have recently became aware of these Invisalign braces and considering getting them. They appear much less visible than the original types, at least from what I have seen in photos.
    Are most orthodontists using this type of brace now or must I go to a particular practice to get the invisalign type?

Forgive me. I'm sure this has been answered in this thread but its 42 pages long ...

Lon.C wrote: »
    Is your wire teeth coloured or steel??

Its white, although the ortho said it could be steel coloured in future.

Hi all,
    I have recently became aware of these Invisalign braces and considering getting them. They appear much less visible than the original types, at least from what I have seen in photos.
    Are most orthodontists using this type of brace now or must I go to a particular practice to get the invisalign type?

Forgive me. I'm sure this has been answered in this thread but its 42 pages long ...

I was thinking of getting them, was told 24 months duration.

In the end I went with ceramic braces, 400e cheaper and 9-12 month duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Had Braces twice :( went to one of the top orthos in my area and he had to take mine off because they were left on too long and one of my front teeth came loose. now its sticking out (what it never did before) and so disheartened about going back to have it fixed.

Wish you the best of luck though!! Wish I had asked more questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Brendygg wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting them, was told 24 months duration.

In the end I went with ceramic braces, 400e cheaper and 9-12 month duration.

Are the ceramic braces similar to the invisalign in that they can only do so much of a correction?

Advertisement