Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not sure any of us need to worry about that for a while.

Meanwhile ESPN has been apparently rebranded this morning and BT Sport Europe is on the UK EPG (still in preview mode though). Any changes here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

what time in the bt sport announcement today re subs etc for next year

announcemet at 10.30 and this is what they tweeted

BT Sport‏@btsport·;4m4 minutes ago
    We are delighted to announce that the Champions League will be FREE with @BTTV #BTSportEurope. http://po.st/Tuf1pw

Now.

What's emerged so far:
    New channels: BT Sport Europe and BT Sport Ultra HD (for the 5 people capable of recieving it...)
    Up to 8 Champions League and 24 Europa League games per night.
    Gary Lineker to anchor.
    RedZone style "Goals" show.
    UK pricing £5 per month.
    Premier League, Scottish League and Premiership Rugby to remain on BT1&2.
    Charity Shield live on BT Sport.

Oh, and I forgot the third new channel, BT Sport Showcase.

Press release:
    http://btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-to-be-free-with-bt-tv-1175981

the xtra £5 is for bt broadband customers to get bt sport europe on the sky platform. the existing bt sport 1 2 and bt sport espn will remain free.

The full bT sport package is free to those who use the Bt Tv platform.

now from an irish perspective what price will be the full BT setanta pack here
    setanta irl
    setanta sports 1 HD (from july)
    Bt sport 1 and 2
    Espn on BT sport
    Bt sport Europe

BT will make some matches available for everyone to watch, whether a subscriber or not, via a new, free-to-air channel on digital TV. Called BT Sport Showcase, this channel will show a minimum of 12 UEFA Champions League matches and 14 UEFA Europa League matches and these will be available to anyone to watch for free. Each participating British team will be shown at least once.

This showcase channel from reading previous posts will be DTT? not on satellite. I may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭landofthetree

icdg wrote: »
    Oh, and I forgot the third new channel, BT Sport Showcase.

Press release:
    [/url]

No mention of what platform this will be on.

Hopefully its on freesat as well as freeview.

Setanta Sports has confirmed that the new home for European football, BT Sport Europe, will be available to viewers in the Republic of Ireland as part of the Setanta Sports pack.

BT Sport Europe will become the sixth channel on the Setanta Sports pack when it begins broadcasting in August and, with the rights to all 350 games per season and there will be some games on Setanta Ireland and 1 but the bulk will be on BT Sport Europe for both Champions League and Europa League

Free-to-air matches

BT will make some matches available for everyone to watch, whether a subscriber or not, via a new, free-to-air channel on digital TV.

Called BT Sport Showcase, this channel will show a minimum of 12 UEFA Champions League matches and 14 UEFA Europa League matches and these will be available to anyone to watch for free. Each participating British team will be shown at least once.

Almost certainly on Freeview at any rate, but I dunno about Freesat/Sky (though obviously UEFA had no problem with ITV broadcasting free to air so that augurs well on that front).

It seems, on a strict reading of the press release that BT are taking a leaf from Setanta's books and that it will only be BT Sport 1 that will be bundled with BT Broadband now (aka "BT Sport Lite").

From the London Evening Standard BT Showcase is a terrestial only channel

Although European football will disappear from mainstream terrestrial TV for the next three seasons BT pledged to make at least 12 Champions League matches, including the final, and 14 UEFA Europa League matches available to anyone to watch for free on a new Freeview channel called BT Sport Showcase. Each participating British team will be shown at least once.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/all-of-next-seasons-champions-league-and-europa-league-games-available-for-free-on-bt-10306963.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gary Lineker, Jake Humphrey and Rio Ferdinand will front the live UEFA Champions League coverage. They will join the BT Sport team which includes Paul Scholes, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman and Owen Hargreaves, as well as new signings Steven Gerrard, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Hoddle and Howard Webb.The channel will also broadcast a new ‘Goals’ show, presented by James Richardson

What a horrible line up of people they have working on this. James Richardson is wasted on a goals show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lertsnim wrote: »
    What a horrible line up of people they have working on this. James Richardson is wasted on a goals show.

The dregs really.
    They have clearly targeted their coverage at the lowest common denominator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

The dregs really.

Rio was decent on the BBC at last years world cup

Tugboats wrote: »
    Rio was decent on the BBC at last years world cup

It's an opinion I don't share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

B17G wrote: »
    Just to confirm there is a channel slot for this now on UHF ch 29 from Belfast. From Limavady (Derry) it's on ch 49. From Brougher Mountain (Fermanagh), ch 27.

Forgot Preseli in Wales for those in the SE. It's on ch 39. Well worth tuning it in now if you are in range of any Freeview transmitter considering 26 matches (12 CL, 14 EL) are confirmed on the channel.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/06/bt-at-26-free-to-air-european-matches.html

Bt sport Europe at ch 414 not on irish sky epg

• Advertisement

Not yet. It will be, or Setanta have got something horribly wrong....

http://www.setanta.com/ie/bt-sport-europe-to-join-the-setanta-sports-pack/

Channel doesn't launch for two months anyway.

Not yet. It will be, or Setanta have got something horribly wrong....

http://www.setanta.com/ie/bt-sport-europe-to-join-the-setanta-sports-pack/

Channel doesn't launch for two months anyway.

it is up on uk epg

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

kooga wrote: »
    Bt sport Europe at ch 414 not on irish sky epg

It can be tuned in manually if you're a subscriber, but they won't put it on our epg yet as it is advertising BT Phone and Broadband services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

I'm opening the channel no problem via the card on a DM - I imagine this will be added on the Sky EPG by the end of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

They are probably keeping Jimbo on the European show, which is his forte. Lineker is a good anchor tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

The dregs really.

LOL. Is there some upper echelon of football punditry that I'm not aware of? It's not usually some wellspring of great minds.

surely bt sport Europe is not going to remain on other channels on the sky box........................Q will Bt request Sky to carry it on the epg for ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

kooga wrote: »
    surely bt sport Europe is not going to remain on other channels on the sky box........................Q will Bt request Sky to carry it on the epg for ireland

Setanta have said it'll be added to their pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

BT Sport have tried to be different from Sky people from but from day one have bashed them and still continue to now. Thing is people dont like change. For the Champions League they have added some great pundits and presenters. While I do enjoy Sky's football coverage I find BT nice change as well.

I like change.

In other channels on sky box there is bt sport preview and bt sport Europe
    Still no sign on channel 414 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it true Sky have the Saturday afternoon premiership match now? If so when is the BT premiership game Saturday evening or Sunday?? Will Setanta still have the Saturday 3pm game?

Yes but not until the season after next. From the 2016/17 season Sky have the lunchtime game while BT will have the Saturday evening game. Setanta continues to have 3pm games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

robwen wrote: »
    Is it true Sky have the Saturday afternoon premiership match now? If so when is the BT premiership game Saturday evening or Sunday?? Will Setanta still have the Saturday 3pm game?

You mean the Saturday lunchtime kick off?

You mean the Saturday lunchtime kick off?

Yes lunchtime

• Advertisement

Yes but not until the season after next. From the 2016/17 season Sky have the lunchtime game while BT will have the Saturday evening game. Setanta continues to have 3pm games.

Oh ok so all is the same next season & then new tv deal kicks in from 16/17 season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

robwen wrote:
    Oh ok so all is the same next season & then new tv deal kicks in from 16/17 season?
    Correct.

We don't know who will have the Saturday 3pms from 16-17 onwards (though I will eat my hat if Setanta don't keep the rights),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

icdg wrote:
    We don't know who will have the Saturday 3pms from 16-17 onwards (though I will eat my hat if Setanta don't keep the rights),

Yeah, I don't see anyone else being interested. TV 3 could theoretically do something, but they won't. Setanta will keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't rule UTV or TV3 out of the equation - the rights will again have restrictions applied meaning Setanta getting a bollocking on social media and many games being almost worthless.

Rights would be worth a hell of a lot more to RTÉ, TV3, UTVI then Setanta - it would be almost like obtaining a big package in the UK worth hundreds of millions - 1 out of United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal almost every single week at 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

irishfeen wrote: »
    Don't rule UTV or TV3 out of the equation - the rights will again have restrictions applied meaning Setanta getting a bollocking on social media and many games being almost worthless.

Rights would be worth a hell of a lot more to RTÉ, TV3, UTVI then Setanta - it would be almost like obtaining a big package in the UK worth hundreds of millions - 1 out of United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal almost every single week at 3pm.

But we all know Rte wont bid for the 3pm kick offs because No.1 It would clash with the 6 Nations games and No.2 They dont have the money (they dropped the highlights show a few years ago).

Tv3 might put in a bid, I was very surprised they showed the Fa Cup final last month.

As for Utv, nobody seems to know what they are up to.

mikeym wrote: »
    But we all know Rte wont bid for the 3pm kick offs because No.1 It would clash with the 6 Nations games and No.2 They dont have the money (they dropped the highlights show a few years ago).

Tv3 might put in a bid, I was very surprised they showed the Fa Cup final last month.

As for Utv, nobody seems to know what they are up to.
    That's what I mean they can't be ruled out because we don't know yet what they can/will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Assuming the relationship between Setanta & BT Sport us renewed. No other broadcaster would be able to compete with Setanta for the rights to the Saturday 3pm matches in Ireland for seasons 2016/17 to 2019/20.

Interesting piece in the Guardian with BT Sports Managing Director, Delia Bushell.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/14/delia-bushell-bt-tv-sport-gary-lineker-champions-league
    In the fullness of time, Sky might not be the only target at which BT takes aim. BT has announced that it will soon launch a Freeview channel, BT Sport Showcase, able to bid for even listed events such as Wimbledon or the FA Cup Final – which, with the BBC’s sports budget under pressure, could be tempting targets. “I wouldn’t comment or speculate on future rights, because clearly keeping your cards close to your chest is key to success,” says Bushell. “I don’t think there are any sports rights that we would say are not for us.”

If BT were to gain UK terrestrial rights for it's Freeview channel and keep those rights exclusively on that channel it would have major implications for all UK domestic broadcasters as they would have fresh competition for UK protected events as well as Irish people who cannot receive Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Does anyone know how much Setanta are currently paying for the 3PM rights?

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much Setanta are currently paying for the 3PM rights?

Foreign rights pricing are never revealed by the F.A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Foreign rights pricing are never revealed by the F.A.

setanta paid €750,000 per year for the live rights

ftakeith wrote: »
    Where is that figure coming from? obviously not the FA.

What is your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What is your source?

I had heard RTÉ paid 3m for 3 years but that could have included highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Yes, would be interested myself in the source of your information. In some ways the next right's package is less valuable for the Irish 3pm picks as I would expect all the 'big' teams to be picked the maximum 29 times they can be picked by Sky/BT Sport for television coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

Hi all.

Is there anyone here with bt sport multiroom on their sky subscription? I was thinking of getting bt sport on a 2nd tv for the champions league next season. Its an extra 5 i think per month.

Was just wondering what the story is with connecting to the phone line. Private number here so i dont see a way around it. My sky boxes arent connected anyways. But i was also thinking how bt would do a callback when its a sky box im using and not a bt one.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Source?

ianburke wrote: »
    Hi all.

Is there anyone here with bt sport multiroom on their sky subscription? I was thinking of getting bt sport on a 2nd tv for the champions league next season. Its an extra 5 i think per month.

Was just wondering what the story is with connecting to the phone line. Private number here so i dont see a way around it. My sky boxes arent connected anyways. But i was also thinking how bt would do a callback when its a sky box im using and not a bt one.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi I have 2 cards on my pack and you do not need to be connected to a phoneline. I pay 1.99 for the second card.

You need to call Setanta direct, not Sky BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

Hi I have 2 cards on my pack and you do not need to be connected to a phoneline. I pay 1.99 for the second card.

You need to call Setanta direct, not Sky BTW.

Thanks very much, Chris!

Will get onto them in the morning:)

ianburke wrote: »
    Thanks very much, Chris!

Will get onto them in the morning:)

No probs buddy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement