Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

vectra wrote: »
    Is the n54L noisy?

I would be setting it up behind my tv that i use daily and would not really want something whirring away like goodo.,,

I get a very slight hum. But when the tv is on, or my surrond sound speakers, it gets masked. Doesnt interfer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Unfortunately this is in the T&Cs - "This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK and does not apply where product will be resold or leased." Any way to bypass it or would using a parcel motel address throughout be enough to fulfill the condition? Is there any proof required for these cashback offers?

I bought my last one off ebuyer via parcel motel and I got the Cashback. For the server I'd say it's OK, not sure about the care package

You need to send a copy of your receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Think ill give it a go so and go for the version that excludes the care, its only €10 cheaper and the care package isnt much use to me over here anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

I emailed the rebate crowd with the question on whether the support rebate applies to Irish customers.
    Think ill give it a go so and go for the version that excludes the care, its only €10 cheaper and the care package isnt much use to me over here anyways

My server from Dabs arrived yesterday. Might try get it and make a start on setting it up will post up If I write any of it up

• Advertisement

Collected the server from my home house. Just in the middle of installing Ubuntu at the moment. My internet is terrible in the evenings so its currently downloading a language pack and taking 50 minutes......

I wrote up a couple of simple blog posts for what I have done so far (some just link to other blogs with good steps already wrote up)

Installing custom BIOS

Moving a HDD into CD drive bay - I took some photos of this, but my internet is so terrible at the moment not much point trying to upload.

Installing Ubuntu via USB

Thank you Witnessmenow.

How is your fan speed?

I noted this issue out there where the microserver runs acceptably loudly when you use your OS defined RAID.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/td-p/6171563/page/6#.UtZ80xa0E7U

(i.e. as opposed to the HP controller dependent fakeraid)

Collected the server from my home house. Just in the middle of installing Ubuntu at the moment. My internet is terrible in the evenings so its currently downloading a language pack and taking 50 minutes......

I wrote up a couple of simple blog posts for what I have done so far (some just link to other blogs with good steps already wrote up)

Installing custom BIOS

Moving a HDD into CD drive bay - I took some photos of this, but my internet is so terrible at the moment not much point trying to upload.

Installing Ubuntu via USB

They responded saying the following applies in Ireland:

http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/jan14/PA0060%20-%20HP%20Microserver%20€60%20Cashback%20Jan%202014%20v1_0.pdf

So it clearly says that the server and the support need to come from the same supplier. Unfortunately any Irish supplier does not sell both the server & support at a good price.

I am thinking I will contact dabs and see if they will relist the support offer.
    CurlyEng wrote: »
    I emailed the rebate crowd with the question on whether the support rebate applies to Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭nitros7

Thank you Witnessmenow.

How is your fan speed?

I noted this issue out there where the microserver runs acceptably loudly when you use your OS defined RAID.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/td-p/6171563/page/6#.UtZ80xa0E7U

I think its quieter than my N40L, it was on my desk last night while I was doing the work and it was still pretty quiet, you could definitely live with it under/behind a TV. I'm nearly tempted to get another one for under the TV..... prob wont though!

One cool little thing I didnt notice with the N40L is that there is hard drive screws on the inside of the door, with a allen(sp?) key type thing to suit, good guy HP!

• Advertisement

Spotted this after in sending the email:

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: VAT rate for Ireland & delivery (#8744-401310653-1132)
    Date: 15 January 2014 12:35:58 GMT
    To: dabs.com Customer Services Team <assistance@dabs.com>

Thank you indeed for your answer.

You had this HP support product on your website a couple of weeks ago, HP support part #UR482E

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-3y-nbd-microserver-hw-support-proliant-microserver-75H8.html

It was 86.50 then, it was unlisted and price has now shot up to 167.32

Are you likely to change this price back?

nitros7 wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Thank you Witnessmenow.

How is your fan speed?

That's about Gen8 servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Everytime I order from ebuyer my order gets cancelled - using Parcel Motel.
    I've tried 2 cards and paypal.

You need to pay via Google wallet.

The last I looked they were £190 + £10 delivery, which is a good bit more expensive than dabs.ie with no hassle with payment and parcel motel

Well spotted thank you
    rovoagho wrote: »
    That's about Gen8 servers.

From dabs customer service:

Ah well....

Hello xyz,

Thank you for your email.

I can advise that these products are often on offer with the manufacturer, but for a limited time only.

Unfortunately we are not aware of them going back onto a lower offer price.

I am sorry if this causes you any disappointment. If I can help further please let me know.

They responded saying the following applies in Ireland:

http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/jan14/PA0060%20-%20HP%20Microserver%20€60%20Cashback%20Jan%202014%20v1_0.pdf

So it clearly says that the server and the support need to come from the same supplier. Unfortunately any Irish supplier does not sell both the server & support at a good price.

I am thinking I will contact dabs and see if they will relist the support offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

So its 220 + 7.50 delivery - 60 cash back = 167.50

For those in the know, is still a good price for this server?

Although it has been cheaper in the past, there is nothing that will come close to it for this price in my opinion at the moment. If you were to assemble a low powered machine with a case that can hold 4 hard drives, unless you bought an absolute dirt cheap case (you can live with) and power supply (Wouldnt recommend for something that is running all the time), you wont come close to building one for the same price.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Although it has been cheaper in the past, there is nothing that will come close to it for this price in my opinion at the moment. If you were to assemble a low powered machine with a case that can hold 4 hard drives, unless you bought an absolute dirt cheap case (you can live with) and power supply (Wouldnt recommend for something that is running all the time), you wont come close to building one for the same price.

Not to mention hotplug if you install the third-party firmware.

• Advertisement

gerryk wrote: »
    Not to mention hotplug if you install the third-party firmware.

Is that more a limiation of the original BIOS rather than a feature of the new bios? I know any sata Pc I tried it with (admittedly not that many) worked fine

Either way it works wiht the updated BIOS, which is all I care about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Is there cash back available on the Gen8?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Is there cash back available on the Gen8?

Have not seen any but I am thinking of holding off to see if a better deal comes up for the n54L or if a deal for the Gen8 comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Looks I might go for the N54L instead. Dabs.ie stating "ordered upon request", anybody know how long of a wait to expect?

Also, if I want to buy 2 should I get them purchased seperately to get double cash back?

I actually asked this yesterday, here's the response from Dabs:

"I've checked the stock levels, and our Suppliers have more than enough stock showing, therefore the order should be invoiced before the end of Jan."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I have a N36L with a N40L chassis and HDD (250GB) spare if anyone is interested. I had bought both but I decided I only need the one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Just about to buy this on Dabs, pretty much for use with Plex and to store personal files and photos. Had previously bought a normal NAS thinking it would work with plex or xbmc but no such luck.

I am going to put two 2TB drives with raid. Could anyone tell me if just a normal hd will do -
    WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green by Western Digital
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YAHW6I
    or
    Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive by Seagate
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H32Q3S

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

kungfual wrote: »
    Just about to buy this on Dabs, pretty much for use with Plex and to store personal files and photos. Had previously bought a normal NAS thinking it would work with plex or xbmc but no such luck.

I am going to put two 2TB drives with raid. Could anyone tell me if just a normal hd will do -
    WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green by Western Digital
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YAHW6I
    or
    Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive by Seagate
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H32Q3S

Thanks

Any 3.5 inch will work fine. I like the WD red discs - a bit more expensive, but they're designed for NAS work but cheaper than a server drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Great thanks - exactly what I was looking for. Would have gone mad if I just bought the normal drives..

Approx. €5 more on Dabs than amazon so I'll stick with Dabs for the lot
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/wd-2tb-red-sata-6gb-s-64mb-3-5--hard-drive-8601.html?q=2tb%20red%20hard%20drive&src=16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

stimpson wrote: »
    Any 3.5 inch will work fine. I like the WD red discs - a bit more expensive, but they're designed for NAS work but cheaper than a server drive.

The Reds are preferable, but the Green is a good second option, and is a good bit cheaper. The main difference is an improved MTBF, but the quoted figure for the Green is 300,000 hours, so if you plan on keeping the drive spinning for >35 years, you might want to reconsider.

If you use the Green, there are some firmware tweaks to reduce spin-down, which ensures that there is less latency in general usage, and at a small cost of ~ .5 - 1W extra.

I have 2 configured as RAID1, and have around 200 days uptime right now with no issues.

Advertisement