Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

biebiebie wrote: »
    That's a great deal if it stands. I'd be interested in one myself.

However I have a suspicion that the Dabs.ie purchase might not qualify for the cashback offer. And if not then it will end up costing the full €307.

Have you confirmed this with dabs.ie yet?

I'm pretty certain it will be fine, they use the same stock as dabs.com which are a partner, but I have emailed the cashback crowd to confirm. Will post back

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

That's a great deal if it stands. I'd be interested in one myself.

However I have a suspicion that the Dabs.ie purchase might not qualify for the cashback offer. And if not then it will end up costing the full €307.

Have you confirmed this with dabs.ie yet?

I got one from Dabs about a year ago and got the cashback no problems.

Seems they took the form down or the link is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

PCDub wrote: »

That link works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

That link works for me.

If you copy/paste the link it works, but if you click through it fails (at least on chrome)

• Advertisement

PCDub wrote: »

Was working for me yesterday, works on my phone, but its nor working on my PC. Boards does funny things with links these days..

Attached the file there anyways.

Also casbhack crowd confirmed that Dabs.ie is all good

Keep getting 'page not found' no matter how i try getting to it, clicking, copying etc....

Cheers for the file Witnessmenow.

can I ask a question on the proliant server. can you set it up (install an os like ubutnu) without the need for a monitor? I have wifi but the router that I have does not have ethernet on it (it's a mobile wifi device - mifi). I could get access to one but would it be possible with a connection to a laptop? thanks. considering this for plex media server use.

Use without a monitor, yes

install without a monitor, don't think so.

You seem to be describing two problems, a screen and a network

Screen:
    Once set up you can ssh or VNC from your laptop to the box, mine is up in my attic and has no monitor, but there are times you will need a monitor when installing the OS and to troubleshoot if its not booting or whatever. Any VGA screen should work, I'd say you'd nearly get one for free on adverts or whatever. You can not display the output of the microserver on your laptop during bootup or install.

Network:
    If you are hoping to use it as a server you are going to need to either get a wifi card/usb for the microserver, or get a router than has ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Is the n54L noisy?

I would be setting it up behind my tv that i use daily and would not really want something whirring away like goodo.,,

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Is the n54L noisy?

I would be setting it up behind my tv that i use daily and would not really want something whirring away like goodo.,,

I would not like to have my N40L beside my TV, it wasnt that noisey, but not silent either. I used to have it under my desk though and it didnt bother me.

Maybe im being picky though, people use these as XBMC machines etc. Im not sure if it was louder than my PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I replaced the main fan for a variable speed one, but the PSU fan is noisy. Not mad noisy, but I wouldn't be happy with it as a HTPC. You can get a fanless PicoPSU and it should be pretty much silent then.

For Plexers, if you can locate the server somewhere else, Ebuyer has a deal on a Roku 2 (1080p) today only - for £50:

http://www.ebuyer.com/393824-roku-2-xs-media-streamer-roku-2-xs

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Anyone have any good links to guides on setting one up for NAS? I plan on installing a few other services such as SabNZB etc. I'm wondering should I stick to windows which I'd know well or try my hand at a linux distro which I wouldn't know that well.

I have sab set up on linux its not that hard, there is decent guides on how to do it.

I'll be setting up my new one I can take notes of guides I use etc if youd like? Worst case scenario blow it away with a windows install if it doesnt work out.

Plex works a bit better under ubuntu than windows as it installs itself as service, so its runs even when no one is logged in

stimpson wrote: »
    I replaced the main fan for a variable speed one, but the PSU fan is noisy. Not mad noisy, but I wouldn't be happy with it as a HTPC. You can get a fanless PicoPSU and it should be pretty much silent then.

For Plexers, if you can locate the server somewhere else, Ebuyer has a deal on a Roku 2 (1080p) today only - for £50:

http://www.ebuyer.com/393824-roku-2-xs-media-streamer-roku-2-xs

would love it, but the extra £10 delivery is a bit off putting, also they are a bit of a pain to buy off (in terms of not knoeing if payment is going to through etc)

I can do what you are talking about on my N40L, but you wont be able to buy a N40L or N36L for as cheap as a new N54L so you may as well get the most powerful one!

If I could pick up a S?H N40L or even an N36L would they suffice?
    or am I better off buying the N54L or the new Gen8 one if an offer came up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I have an N54L up next to my TV, 5 mechanical disks and an SDD, 16GB RAM, video card and TV card, and there isn't a peep out of it since I switched in a fanless video card. My N40L is noisier, so I guess it depends on build quality of the particular machine. Anyone want an N40L?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

rovoagho wrote: »
    I have an N54L up next to my TV, 5 mechanical disks, 16GB RAM, video card and TV card, there isn't a peep out of it since I switched in a fanless video card. My N40L is noisier, so I guess it depends on build quality of the particular machine. Anyone want an N40L?

Would love to see how that looks beside the TV. Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I have sab set up on linux its not that hard, there is decent guides on how to do it.

I'll be setting up my new one I can take notes of guides I use etc if youd like? Worst case scenario blow it away with a windows install if it doesnt work out.

Plex works a bit better under ubuntu than windows as it installs itself as service, so its runs even when no one is logged in

Thanks I'd appreciate that if you have time! Think I'll have a go at the linux install first and see how it goes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Would love to see how that looks beside the TV. Any pics?

I'll take one later.

• Advertisement

Anyone want an N40L?

Messaged you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

Looks like support product is gone off dabs site.

Does anyone have a view on whether the 120 cash back offer may arise again?

Pulled the trigger this morning with dabs.ie

Which is €221 + €7.50 delivery but I was looking at the claim form:

January 2014

I noticed that there was €83 cashback on a care package so I checked the price of that on dabs, €86.50! So it made it an extra €3.50 for the care package. But even better the car package brought my order over the €300 free delivery threshold with dabs so the total cost of adding the care pacakge after cashback is -€4!

Link to N54L
    Link to Micro server support

Hopefully it works out ok! Total price for server and care package should be €307 - €143 = €164 delivered

CurlyEng wrote: »
    Looks like support product is gone off dabs site.

Does anyone have a view on whether the 120 cash back offer may arise again?

Works for me, 14 left in stock (EDIT, sorry i cant read! that was the server I was talking about)

I have no idea how these things work or when it will be back!?

Thank you witnessmenow

I will check elsewhere for the support: I wanted to verify your offer (damn good one) was gonep
    Works for me, 14 left in stock (EDIT, sorry i cant read! that was the server I was talking about)

I have no idea how these things work or when it will be back!?

This seems to be best deal out there at the moment:

https://www.serversplus.com/microserver_cashback

125.94 GBP = 151.772 EUR
    British Pound ↔ Euro
    1 GBP = 1.20512 EUR 1 EUR = 0.829795 GBP

Parcel motel ~ 155. Total

Uk vat 3% less so this accounts for most of difference.

I have not yet found an irish supplier of the support in this cost range.

Thank you witnessmenow

I will check elsewhere for the support: I wanted to verify your offer (damn good one) was gonep

• Registered Users Posts: 20 szafa

I have an N54L up next to my TV, 5 mechanical disks and an SDD, 16GB RAM, video card and TV card, and there isn't a peep out of it since I switched in a fanless video card. My N40L is noisier, so I guess it depends on build quality of the particular machine. Anyone want an N40L?
    pm sent

125.94 GBP = 151.772 EUR
    British Pound ↔ Euro

Superb price if it all works out!

Tracking this back: while the cashback has sometimes been £100 rather that the current £50 the net end retail price was only £5 less.
    http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-proliant-microserver-220-04-2-49-delivery-crescent-electronics-888083?mforwarded=true

So it seems the cost to the channel is quite low: e.g. This Poland based supplier has a good bit cheaper gross cost but no cashback:
    http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90493594/hp-proliant-n54l.asp
    Superb price if it all works out!

Looks like this was cheaper last september...
    unkel wrote: »
    Here's the link to the server on your site, Kin :)

€116 shipped after cash back, not a bad price at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

125.94 GBP = 151.772 EUR
    British Pound ↔ Euro

Unfortunately this is in the T&Cs - "This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK and does not apply where product will be resold or leased." Any way to bypass it or would using a parcel motel address throughout be enough to fulfill the condition? Is there any proof required for these cashback offers?

Advertisement