Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

EPM wrote: »
    Found my stash of Meguairs products

After 2 days crawling around your boot :pac:. Seriously clean car there man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Found my stash of Meguairs products that I assumed were gone. Was too lazy to do a proper clay bar on it but it still came up well enough:D

Not looking too bad for a blue one :D

Nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Needs a set of German plates EPM, otherwise it's just rubbish :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Today I made the ultimate sacrifice with my car.... Drove it on track yesterday and it was a stonker, so much so that it held off pretty much everything including stripped out race cars. It was doing 68's(70's would have won Club class of the Time Attack) round the track with **** brakes and badly worn trackday tyres so some lines weren't fantastic to say the least.

I wanted to do the trackday on Monday but my discs are totally shot, my car is a 98spec UK car so the discs are different to the Jappo that I won't be able to get until at least Tuesday. I have any amount of ENDLESS pads too :(

So I talked the bossman into something else, the engine for the race car isn't ready yet.... but mine fits :pac:

IMG_0313.jpg?t=1312052805
    IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg?t=1312052943

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You've got the best boss ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Needs a set of German plates EPM, otherwise it's just rubbish :pac:

I wouldn't want to turn into an idiot though because of a preference for certain aesthetic features:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just thought I would some more pics of beading - havent washed my car in a week or two but its still good

2011-07-30+18.48.41.jpg

2011-07-30+18.48.51.jpg

We only got out at 9pm, will be in again tomorrow and Monday morning too. We're giving a race driver a chance in the car on Monday too and it'll most likely be entered into the final round of the ITCC with that same driver behind the wheel. He's one of the best drivers in the country too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Gary ITR wrote: »

We only got out at 9pm, will be in again tomorrow and Monday morning too. We're giving a race driver a chance in the car on Monday too and it'll most likely be entered into the final round of the ITCC with that same driver behind the wheel. He's one of the best drivers in the country too ;)
    Glad to hear ye went for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Washed the car today and gave it another quick go of wax - pic as promised

dscf3968k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Coming along

282465_10150736595470176_805400175_20141654_5812581_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Owen wrote: »
    A can of Novastop works amazing well for that. I've never seen the like of it, it could stop a hole in the rad the size of your fist. Used it on an old Mini a couple of months back, and was stunned with the result.

I'm afraid your a little bit late but I'll keep that in mind :) I have celit in the boot if I ever need it :D

Image1136.jpg
    Image1156.jpg
    Image1142.jpg
    Image1152.jpg
    Image1153.jpg
    Greyfoot wrote: »
    b****d! Sounds awesome without the cat I reckon :D

Has no cat anyway as its an 89 :D It shakes the windows of the house :pac: I'll get a video up on youbook someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dgt wrote: »
    I'm afraid your a little bit late but I'll keep that in mind :) I have celit in the boot if I ever need it :D

Image1136.jpg
    Image1156.jpg
    Image1142.jpg
    Image1152.jpg
    Image1153.jpg

Has no cat anyway as its an 89 :D It shakes the windows of the house :pac: I'll get a video up on youbook someday :)
    That's a lot of effort and time man. My respect to you

That's a lot of effort and time man. My respect to you

I have a build thread for that van, virtually everything was stripped or replaced since I got it in November... :eek:

Your not in cork are ya? Cos I'd like to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Today I stripped everything out of the EK4 except the two front seats, dash and carpet ready for the track tomorrow! Also put two new T1R's on the front for the corners :D
    Today I drove the tits out of my car around a track! :D

Annnddddd I finally have a pic, hopefully more to come soon!

She outperformed me on the track on Friday, with a better driver I'd say it could have went even quicker!

Stripping her was a massive plus, the extra/lack of weight was unbelievable and I only ever had 5 litres of petrol in the car at any time to save on weight :P It was easily the best day I've had in the EK so far :D

5995588211_7dbb0462c6_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

dgt wrote: »
    I have a build thread for that van, virtually everything was stripped or replaced since I got it in November... :eek:

Jesus... you still on that ???? I was reading it from fiat forum....

Your not in cork are ya? Cos I'd like to watch :D

Afraid I'm up the other end of the country! But heres all the work from day 1 :)
    Mar4ix wrote: »
    Jesus... you still on that ???? I was reading it from fiat forum....

Still am! A few bits to iron out still though... Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I sell you 2 Punto boxes? How are they going for you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Tried out the much talked about Farécla G3 Scratch Remover today, to try and remove the abundance of swirl marks on the car. I have to say i'm impressed. You need to buy the "waffle pad" seperately, so the whole lot is a touch over €20.00.

You get the waffle pad, dampen the surface of it and then apply a good helping of G3 (assuming you're doing a decent area like below) on top. Then start rubbing in forward and backwards motions over the paint. If there isn't enough water on the pad, the compound starts to "chalk up" as it were; if there is too much water then you get a sloppy white paste going everywhere so its important to have just the right amount of water.

htds003-2.jpg

I used pretty heavy pressure as I soon realised you get better results and there's no risk of damaging the clear coat as the compound is very soft, even when it becomes solid. After going forwards and backwards, I'd then move at a right angle over the same area as directed. Once complete, i'd buff it all off with a microfibre towel and then do another application on the same area.

I wish I took some better pictures (and more) but the camera died and it got cloudy. Here's a rough before and after:

Before:

htds001-3.jpg

After:

htds002-2.jpg

Now, there are still swirls left, but i'd say its a 70%% improvement with just two applications. Twice more and I really can't see there being many swirls left at all. Took me about an hour to do the bonnet, but the first 30mins was getting to grips with how it works, I could probably do the whole car in less than 2 hours. Much more work than a machine polisher? Absolutely no question. Backbreaking? By no means, its very easy to work with and doesn't require huge amounts of effort.

€20.00 is certainly cheaper than a machine polisher which i do still plan on investing in at some stage, but this stuff genuinely does a good to very good job, especially considering the cost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I only use G3, it's great stuff. If you use it in conjunction with a machine polisher in the future, you will run the risk of having holograms in the final paint, they can be removed with a soft mop on the polisher, and a very soft polish.

• Advertisement

I only use G3, it's great stuff. If you use it in conjunction with a machine polisher in the future, you will run the risk of having holograms in the final paint, they can be removed with a soft mop on the polisher, and a very soft polish.

Even with a DA ?

I don't use a DA polisher myself, so I can't comment - Separate would be better to advise on that.

I don't use a DA polisher myself, so I can't comment - Separate would be better to advise on that.

Ah
    So you are talking about rotary ?

I am considering a DA myself so was wondering,
    I need to bring up the red in the civic a bit.. It is getting a bit hazy again..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Owen, whats actually going on with the G3 when you apply it? Their videos on their website are a load of BS and just show the scratches/swirls "fading" away. Is it actually breaking down the clearcoat or does it simply fill in the scratches? As in, are the results permanent?

It cuts down a layer of lacquer (Or if your car's old enough - a single stage paint/2k paint), it's an abrasive compound. It doesn't fill in anything. If you ever want to test it, get a machine polisher and hold it on the one spot with no water. About 3 seconds later, you'll be down to primer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

While we're on the subject, is T-Cut really as sh1te as everybody says? I have nearly a full bottle to waste and used a bit of it over the weekend and found it fine for gettting rid of quite visible scratches.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, is T-Cut really as sh1te as everybody says? I have nearly a full bottle to waste and used a bit of it over the weekend and found it fine for gettting rid of quite visible scratches.

It does the job but doesn't last long and the damage can be done with the original stuff, the colour magic or whatever it's called is fairly harmless but equally sh1t for longterm results. Grand stuff to lash on to a pink car you are selling on though, less than an hour and all done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I performed an Italian tuneup,well kind of.Let the engine sit at 4200-4500 rpms for a few mins on the motorway as it rarely ever sees more than 3000 rpms normally.

I picked bit's of a conrod out of the headlight :o

• Advertisement

I've always found t cut to be pretty good for medium scratches but know nothing of the damage it can cause? Can someone explain? Can it damage the clear coat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement