Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

An File wrote: »
    I have a Hoptimum. This pleases me greatly.

Decent stuff alright but I thought it was a bit overrated. Awaits stoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Would rate it below Foam+Fury, Hardcore myself.

White Hag's wit is quite good. Am not a huge fan of the style, but is one of the better wit's I've tried. Anybody know if their other bottled beers are going to show up here(imperial oatmeal stout and white ipa) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

jsa112 wrote: »
    Would rate it below Foam+Fury, Hardcore myself.

White Hag's wit is quite good. Am not a huge fan of the style, but is one of the better wit's I've tried. Anybody know if their other bottled beers are going to show up here(imperial oatmeal stout and white ipa) ?

Hopefully, they'd be mad not too trial some supply in the home country. There's a lot of mediocre craft brewers out there some crap and a few great.
    From what I've tasted so far Theyre in the great category and I want to buy their oatmeal stout. Is there anything wrong with them trialling a small amount of it for demand and go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had a bottle of the Solas stout and thought it was pretty decent for the price (€1.89 in Tesco).

There seems to be a consensus here that the McGargles stuff is poor and therefore everything Rye River produces is going to be bad. I wonder if that has any influence on people's views when they're trying the newer beers? I'm hoping to organise a blind tasting of a few Irish stouts soon and look forward to including the Solas one to see how it fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Blue Point Rastafa rye ale brought home from New York.
    7.5% ABV, a big hop flavour beer balanced nicely with the rye & barley.
    Pity it's not available here, I do love my rye beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Blue Point Rastafa rye ale brought home from New York.
    7.5% ABV, a big hop flavour beer balanced nicely with the rye & barley.
    Pity it's not available here, I do love my rye beers.

Sounds great. Jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's me birthday, and just got handed a selection from my sister.

It includes O'Hara's Barrel Aged LF, Thornbridge Black Raven, Black Ball, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and a couple others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It includes O'Hara's Barrel Aged LF, Thornbridge Black Raven, Black Ball, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and a couple others.

Nice

Happy Birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wasn't mad about Sierra Nevada's Red IPA, "Flipside". Found it a bit dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Grayditch wrote: »
    Wasn't mad about Sierra Nevada's Red IPA, "Flipside". Found it a bit dull.

I really enjoyed it. A very hoppy take on the red style.

• Advertisement

American Reds are certainly better than Irish anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. A very hoppy take on the red style.

I might try it again, I can't remember what I had before it but maybe it's better as a starting beer, but I didn't get a big hoppy taste from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Nice way to celebrate!

Anyone know what off licences are stocking O'Hara's Barrel Aged LF (and/or Franciscan Well stout aged in Jameson barrels) this year? De nortsiode preferably...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

American Reds are certainly better than Irish anyway. :p

Only when it comes to beer ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

drkpower wrote: »
    Anyone know what off licences are stocking O'Hara's Barrel Aged LF (and/or Franciscan Well stout aged in Jameson barrels) this year? De nortsiode preferably...
    Both are in Martin's of Fairview. I'd imagine DrinkStore and McHugh's will have them too.

drkpower wrote: »
    Nice way to celebrate!

I don't know for sure, but I'd be confident my sis got the BALF in McHugh's Artane or Kilbarrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Franciscan Well pale ale. €4.50 a pint in the Gingerman on Fenian Street. I like the beer and I like the price.

Franciscan Well pale ale. €4.50 a pint in the Gingerman on Fenian Street. I like the beer and I like the price.

I remember it when it was 3.75 two years ago.

they've been selling FW beers for years in there, are they actually properly labelled now?

B&C used to sell them as house beers too at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayditch wrote: »
    I might try it again, I can't remember what I had before it but maybe it's better as a starting beer, but I didn't get a big hoppy taste from it.

Ifs a 2013 bottle its likely 18 months old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I wouldn't take them for a euro a bottle personally. Muck.

Different tastes for all so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tesco selling McGargle's Knock Knock Ned's IPA, . 6.5pc

4 bottles (330ml) for 6.50. Usually around 9 euro

Had some McGargles Red out at the parents house tonight, very average, tasted more like a generic lager than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Finally got to try Guinness Dublin Porter tonight; a big waste of €3.09 and lacking pretty much everything a porter should have; body and flavour and taste and and general oomph. The West indies porter is considerably better FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is this what is sold as Chieftain IPA elsewhere?

So I've a 200 fathoms looking at me in my beer stash.
    One to finally open at the weekend, or put by for another while?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Giving that new Crafty Brewing Company Stout from Lidl a taste. Pretty bland, not much carbonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

New one from st.mels brewery, a raisin and oatmeal stout. Its a seasonal, and is nice!

Does Howl at The Moon have crafts?

Xmas party there next weekend, this will be a contributory factor as to whether or not I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Paid a visit to Cork's newest nanobrewery/restaurant last night, Elbow Lane. It's a small place but has a lovely atmosphere and the food looked amazing. The lads inside there were very keen to show us how their wood fired grill worked and talk us through their brewery set up. Even invited us to a brew day.

As for the beer, I tried the lager (Blbow Lager) and pale ale (Jawbone). All there stuff is unfiltered and the lager was pretty tasty, nice malty backbone to it. Jawbone was very refreshing with some nice citrus notes.

Definitely be back for big slab of meat and more of their beers before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Does Howl at The Moon have crafts?

Xmas party there next weekend, this will be a contributory factor as to whether or not I go

Not that I could find last time I was there which was about 3 weeks ago, they did have a "Wolf Lager" which I strongly recommend avoiding was absolutely dire stuff and I am pretty sure it was the cause of my stomach cramps the next day.

Currently enjoying a Founders Dark Penance, lovely tropical bitter sweet taste will definitely be picking up another tomorrow night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement