Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting weather diary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Maybe everybody has their own weather system? :)

EeyoreItsSnowingStill.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Ok this morning...no frost on road. On way home the hail stones nearly cut the snout off me.. had to look down when it got heavy.....it'll be the car tomorrow...diesel burner commute tomorrow

Trip: usual school run.
    Mode: bike, SI did not cycle.
    Weather: very wet and windy. 8.4 mm of rain since midnight.
    Comment: got a royal soaking on outward leg, but no rain on way back (via long detour).

Usual school run. No rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hail and rain just around lunchtime journey.
    Opted for bus as have a cold.

Usual school run. SI started off on own bike, but I had misjudged level of rainfall and had to switch to Plan B mid-journey. Only had raincoat on so legs a bit wet on return home. Very cold, sodden and miserable day overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: dry and mild
    Comment: Nice day for commute after the wind last week.

Not a commute, but I had a good long cycle around the city today. Beautiful weather, even warm. Some roads utterly choked with traffic.

Weather: dry and mild
    Comment: Once again nice day for commute
    Going to add a section to make the diary more relevant
    Wet: 0/4= 0% (this is getting caught in a shower not a light drizzle)
    Nice: 4/4= 100% (Dry and mild)
    Deadly: 0/4= 0% (Too windy, Icy, Stormy to cycle safely)

• Advertisement

Weather: dry in morning, wet commute home
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/6= 18%
    Nice: 5/6= 82%
    Deadly: 0/6= 0%

Had to do a 25 km cross-town trip this morning. No rain on way out, raining on way back. Returned about 08:20, which is supposed to be rush hour. Where's all the traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Where's all the traffic?

Mid-Term Break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

J o e wrote: »
    Mid-Term Break

Yeah, the office here is empty because of all the parents staying home.

On a weather related note, last week the only times I wasn't rained on going to/from work were monday morning and friday evening.

this week Monday is the only totally dry day so far.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Yeah, the office here is empty because of all the parents staying home.

Whatever about your office (and the car park outside?) the roads I was on this morning were comparatively empty. Because the schools are off.

Trip: IWH-OH usual 4 km work commute.
    Weather: not sure, but I don't think there was any notable rain at the time.

Trip: work commute 28km round trip Thurs & Fri
    Weather: both days were wet but didn't rain during my commute. Strong wind yesterday blowing off bay, was wrecked tired after it last night.
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/10= 10%
    Nice: 9/10= 90%
    Deadly: 0/10= 0%

• Advertisement

Usual school run. Nice and sunny. No rain.

Left home 10-15 minutes late. Approx 1.4 km tailback of slow-moving traffic, in contrast to the clear roads last week.

56 school days since thread started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

There was a crash on the quincentennial bridge and further on there was a break down as well. beautiful weather for cycling.Really enjoyed my cycle into work.

Trip: Usual school run.
    Weather: generally breezy and showery, but no rainfall for most of journey. 4.2-4.8 mm of rain since midnight, depending on which weather website consulted.
    Comment: Appeared to be raining prior to departure, so Senior Infant declined to cycle own bike. Put on all the raingear, but there was no rain on outward leg and only a brief light shower during last 300 metres of return leg. Seemed to be c. 1.4 km tailback of stationary traffic, apparently due to some sort of holdup further down an adjacent route. Serious weaving needed to get through jam (cars blocking yellow boxes etc). Chorus of car horns behind sounded almost musical.

OH 3+4 km morning school-work run with SI on own bike. No rain.

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning, no rain. Senior Infant got serious puncture on the way, requiring switch to Plan B. Two motorists stopped and very kindly offered to carry disabled bike! Amazing generosity, I thought.

• Advertisement

Found my tyre flat before the commute home yesterday evening too, two motorists offered me a lift, sound. Was a quick enough fix though and found the offending bit of wire - cycled home in some nice gusty winds.

J o e wrote: »
    found the offending bit of wire

A common enough cause of punctures. I've pulled out bits of wire bent exactly in the shape needed to pierce a bike tyre, almost like a caltrop.

Was just a straight piece and quite short, so found it tricky to get out of the tyre. Will be adding one of these to the saddle bag;

$_1.JPG

Trip: work commute 28km round trip today. Drove on Mon, Tues, Wed
    Mode: cycle. Car
    Weather: lovely day today
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/12= 8%
    Nice: 11/12= 92%
    Deadly: 0/12= 0%

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning. SI's bike still in for repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning. SI's bike still in for repair.

It was great going to work but a serious non-stop headwind going home.

newkie wrote: »
    It was great going to work but a serious non-stop headwind going home.

More wind = better cardio workout. :)

No school today: off sick. Beautiful day though. Sun shining out of clear blue sky. How was the morning traffic?

Still off sick. No rain yesterday or today, afaik, at school run time.

Trip in some showers but mostly dry - nice cycle
    This evening was lashing out of the heavens. Soaked and had no rain gear :(

• Advertisement

I think you live in a dryer parallel universe! Lol! See above.
    Although there was a dry hour in there somewhere! :)

inisboffin wrote: »

And record rainfall for the winter. But apparently not when certain people is on the roads.

Trip in some showers but mostly dry - nice cycle
    This evening was lashing out of the heavens. Soaked and had no rain gear :(
    Iwannahurl wrote:

I should have specified morning school run time in the above post. As we all know very well, and has been pointed out in this thread and elsewhere more than once, the morning school run is THE time for high traffic volumes. Therefore the weather during the morning commute is of particular interest.

And record rainfall for the winter. But apparently not when certain people is on the roads.

Precisely. Even during a period of record rainfall, it is still possible to cycle or walk to work or school without getting rained on.

To repeat the OP, yet again:
    While rain is clearly a feature of Galway life throughout the year, it is still possible to walk or cycle a reasonable distance to work or school without being soaked on a regular or frequent basis.

This is feasible with appropriate waterproof gear and where commuting distance is short, eg 4 km or less for cycling, or up to 2 km for walking.

Rain is hammering on the windows as I type. But so what? We're still off sick, but at the time we would have been doing the school run this morning it was not raining at all. The IRUSE chart is below. The data don't lie, and I don't either.

64 school days since the beginning of this thread. No school commute due to sickness, but OH cycled 4km to work as usual. No rain during work commute. Again. Is that a record? No, it's normal.

297297.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

There was a heavy mist in town this morning as I walked from college to work at 8am. Rotten so it was.

Precisely. Even during a period of record rainfall, it is still possible to cycle or walk to work or school without getting rained on.

It's amazing the amount of days you report no rain/fail to report rain that other people get rained on.

Such as yesterday evening.

Enjoy that alternative reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It's amazing the amount of days you report no rain/fail to report rain that other people get rained on.

On the other hand- you seem to have reported dry weather only once in this thread unless I missed posts in a quick search, and even that was on the context of most of the week being wet.

Your wouldn't happen to be related to Rob McKenna by any chance? :P

Mr_A wrote: »
    On the other hand- you seem to have reported dry weather only once in this thread unless I missed posts in a quick search, and even that was on the context of most of the week being wet.

If it's already been reported as dry is there a need to reaffirm that report?

I will submit experiences that differ from other posters in order to give a more accurate reporting of the actual weather conditions on the roads.

But then when the recent storms aren't enough to keep some people off their bikes, should we be expecting rational discussion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

As it happens i do night shifts and usually make my way home between 08.00 and 09.00, i feel quite lucky to rarely ever get rained upon.. However at approx 05.00 it seems to be raining frequently.. I have no idea why that is though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

But then when the recent storms aren't enough to keep some people off their bikes, should we be expecting rational discussion?

I judged that the conditions at the time were OK for cycling, based on being outside standing in them and exercised more than normal caution and was fine. Even during the storms the conditions are not constant.

• Advertisement

Yeah my commutes are not 'regular' times as in morning school run generally.
    I do notice posts of 'dry' when I have experienced rain. I generally don't bother posting but yesterday there was such a notable difference I posted. It was a light hearted post about a parallel universe as yeah I'm well aware how changeable the weather is in Galway! :)
    However many of us have odd commutes, and just like odd sleeping hours, sometimes feel hard done by when not 'counted', and if someone was looking back at a thread, might think it never rains!
    Length of commute is totally a factor too. I might have a week of lots of small trips depending on what I'm up to.

Yeah my commutes are not 'regular' times as in morning school run generally.
    I do notice posts of 'dry' when I have experienced rain. I generally don't bother posting but yesterday there was such a notable difference I posted. It was a light hearted post about a parallel universe as yeah I'm well aware how changeable the weather is in Galway! :)
    However many of us have odd commutes, and just like odd sleeping hours, sometimes feel hard done by when not 'counted', and if someone was looking back at a thread, might think it never rains!
    Length of commute is totally a factor too. I might have a week of lots of small trips depending on what I'm up to.

The whole point is that during a short commute of, say, 4 km or less there is often no rain.

What I have posted so far is a factual account of what the weather conditions were like during my particular commute (and occasionally the OH's).

Of course Galway's weather is changeable. Sometimes it rains, but often it doesn't. That goes for everyone doing a similar commute, eg the 47% of Galway City residents living 4 km or less from their place of work or education, and holds true over time regardless of the hour of day.

When this diary has been completed (and I have an end date in mind, for my own contributions) I anticipate that the number of occasions on which rain fell during the school run primarily will be a small percentage of the total. I already know, from long experience, that the risk of a soaking on any one short trip is far less than people believe. My objective with this weather diary is to work out a few percentages.

If it's already been reported as dry is there a need to reaffirm that report?

I will submit experiences that differ from other posters in order to give a more accurate reporting of the actual weather conditions on the roads.

Ah right, so some of us are cycling in an "alternative reality" whereas antoobrien regularly drives in a state of consciousness characterised by "accuracy" and "rationality"?

Many if not most of your posts in this thread have been attempts to deny the validity of this exercise. Furthermore, you post when rain has fallen on your car (or you saw/heard about rain falling on someone else) but not when it has been dry. Accurate reporting and rational discussion? I think not.

I think it's clear to any reasonable person what your denial is really about.

. That goes for everyone doing a similar commute, eg the 47% of Galway City residents living 4 km or less from their place of work or education, and holds true over time regardless of the hour of day.

See I too fall into this category of distance but at a different (or multiple different) times of the day.
    It may be simple random difference, but I do seem to find it wetter than you when I do my commute! I'd have to agree to differ on your " Sometimes it rains, but often it doesn't." line! That being said people go often go on assumption rather than experience. I think this is a great exercise though, and wish I could get it together to post enough to balance my own experience! I like to cycle as much as I can, and adding the time of day to stuff, seeing it dry too, actually does make me want to give it a lash (excuse the pun!) more than I did. :)

I have consistently and accurately reported, on an almost daily basis, the weather conditions I experienced during the morning school run.

Sporadic reports, whether of rain or otherwise, do not serve to improve accuracy, and without an 'audit trail' clarification and verification are not really possible later on.

My report for today, the 65th school day since starting this diary: Senior Infant returned to school, cycling own bike, after a few days' sickness absence due to a bad cold or flu. The IRUSE weather station, which anybody can check right now for verification purposes, shows that there has been no rainfall since 03:00. Additionally, when SI was setting out to school there was a large yellowish orb, shining in the eastern sky. Of course it may just have been a cyclist's "alternative reality" or even some Fatima-like apparition. :)

EDIT: a thought occurs. If anyone doubts the accuracy of any one of my weather reports, perhaps the simplest thing to do is post a (dated) screenshot of the IRUSE 12-hour Trend graph. While that won't confirm whether there might have been a local shower in any one area in, say, a 15-minute window, it might at least go some way towards explaining why, on occasion, some experience rain and others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

To be fair i find inisbofffins evidence more trustworthy and credible. It's clear he is an advocate of cyclists and public transport and communicates his findings in a more neutral manner so has nothing to gain by being selective with his weather reporting which I think we have seen from both sides of this argument.

OP I really hope you are not going to take the results of your "survey" and publish it all over boards and represent it as some kind of scientific survey.

• Advertisement

I do think these 'local showers' which Iwannahurl mentions do play in to this discussion. And are possibly way more at the heart of discrepancies.
    If I set out on a 15 min commute and a heavy shower descends for 5 or 10 mins and soaks me, I am still soaked.
    If I leave my house in nice weather with no raincoat but a shower hits me for the final 5 mins I am also still soaked.
    Someone only travelling 10 mins of those same journey routed could miss the showers and see sunshine. Surely that plays in too?
    Galway is much wetter than Dublin. That's my experience as a cyclist. I cycled more in Dublin than I do in Galway. That's due to weather, safety and distance. That's not a grumble per se, just a fact for me. I love cycling *some* routes in Galway.

Patrickheg wrote: »
    To be fair i find inisbofffins evidence more trustworthy and credible. It's clear he is an advocate of cyclists and public transport and communicates his findings in a more neutral manner so has nothing to gain by being selective with his weather reporting which I think we have seen from both sides of this argument.

OP I really hope you are not going to take the results of your "survey" and publish it all over boards and represent it as some kind of scientific survey.

And the denial goes on.

You've already made your opinions clear, and not in a "neutral" manner by any means.

To repeat, yet again: the purpose of this thread is to serve as a commuting weather diary (as indicated by the title) and in the main it consists of brief factual reports of the weather conditions encountered during the daily commute. Some people, such as myself, post consistently on an almost daily basis. Others post occasionally, in the appropriate spirit. Others just post to snipe, make vague and unsubstantiated allegations, and attempt to undermine the exercise.

What's with all the denial and fabricated accusations of "selective reporting"? Could it possibly be that some people just do not want this exercise to reach a conclusion they don't want to hear?

I do think these 'local showers' which Iwannahurl mentions do play in to this discussion. And are possibly way more at the heart of discrepancies.
    If I set out on a 15 min commute and a heavy shower descends for 5 or 10 mins and soaks me, I am still soaked.
    If I leave my house in nice weather with no raincoat but a shower hits me for the final 5 mins I am also still soaked.
    Someone only travelling 10 mins of those same journey routed could miss the showers and see sunshine. Surely that plays in too?
    Galway is much wetter than Dublin. That's my experience as a cyclist. I cycled more in Dublin than I do in Galway. That's due to weather, safety and distance. That's not a grumble per se, just a fact for me. I love cycling *some* routes in Galway.

I wouldn't use the word discrepancies. Different experiences, maybe, but they are spatial and temporal in nature. It rains at some times but not others. It may be raining in one place but not in another, at the same time. I don't think there is anything remarkable about that, and I said as much in the OP. In fact, it's the whole point of the thread. Yes, we all know it rains a lot in Galway, but that does not mean we inevitably get rained on during short commutes of 4 km or less. In fact, my (educated) guess is that the number of rained-on short commutes is actually a minority of the total.

I wouldn't use the word discrepancies. Different experiences, maybe, but they are spatial and temporal in nature. It rains at some times but not others. It may be raining in one place but not in another, at the same time. I don't think there is anything remarkable about that, and I said as much in the OP. In fact, it's the whole point of the thread. Yes, we all know it rains a lot in Galway, but that does not mean we inevitably get rained on during short commutes of 4 km or less. In fact, my (educated) guess is that the number of rained-on short commutes is actually a minority of the total.

I was replying to the fact that both dry journeys and wet journeys were being 'doubted' - whether directly or by inference - by other posters! Therefore the phrase 'any perceived discrepancies' may be clearer.
    And yes, I would highlight you yourself do stress the point of the thread wchich is about personal experience (which is great) rather than assumptions OR educated opinions.
    I'll keep posting when I can.

I don't know how the numbers will stack up until I do the final tally (of my contributions) but I do know what my experiences have been so far.

I think I may have to augment my trip reports from now on in order to counter the naysayers.

By the way, the focus is not on wet or dry days but on wet or dry commutes. There is a significant difference between the two which is critical to any discussion on this topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement