Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2015 Stage 4 Seriang - Cambrai (cobbles) *contains unmasked spoilers*

Options
  • 06-07-2015 10:35pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

tdf_stage4.png

After a very messy mini-Ardennes classic, we are now faced with the Tour's mini-Paris Roubaix. Dry weather is forecasted, unlike last year, however I would fully expect plenty of changes in the GC after all is said and done. Ignoring the high risk of falls and crashes, there are enough pavee sections here for a superior and more robust team to create an edge over their rivals. It is also likely that the riders will be faced with a stiff headwind all day, so a big engine is surely needed.

For the stage win, Paris Roubaix winner John Degenkolb enters as favourite, and he will no doubt be giving it his all in order to propel himself up the green jersey standings. However, the stage doesn't favour a cobbled rider nearly as much as Paris-Roubaix, with the 12km run in to Cambrai being quite simple. Sprinters like Kristoff, Paolini and Greipel will be aiming to simply hang-on. Strong men like Van Marcke, Stybar and Boom (if he goes for it) will have to make their impact earlier.

In the GC, I believe Nibali will be quite optimistic going into tomorrow. His highly successful race on the cobbles in last year's Tour plus his immensely strong team will give him plenty of reason to be so. Boom and Fuglsang, along with time trialists Westra and Grivko offer him a very capable step up to already being the robust rider of the GC "big four". That is not to say Froome's lieutenants are anything to be sniffed at, and I expect lessons have been learned from the nightmare of last year.

I expect Quintana will have serious issues tomorrow. His team is by far the least capable on cobbles, plus his billed weight of 50kg will not stand him in good stand when the road gets nasty. Movistar also fared quite poorly today to keep Valverde and Quintana in a safe and protected environment, and I expect tomorrow will reveal this even moreso. Quintana is currently sitting 1'56 down on Froome, and really cannot afford to give away any more time for free.

Oddschecker Degenkolb 7/2, Kristoff 7/1, Sagan 7/1, Vanmarcke 10/1, Stybar 10/1, Greipel 12/1, Boom 33/1

Stage Winner 57 votes

John Degenkolb
    0%
    Alexander Kristoff
    10%
    Morrisseeeegypsy79topcat77letapeTalib Fiascoboydkev 6 votes
    Peter Sagan
    14%
    ZiabRsilver campaignDecuc500eagle eyepajorhappytrampvictor201isitraining 8 votes
    Sep Vanmarcke
    14%
    Borderfoxshels4evermanwithaplangpdrcdDarkglassesdaramikejohny33tommy_tucker 8 votes
    Zdenek Stybar
    14%
    odyssey06omrijohnk123Meglamoniaadcakesallan450MPFGkal7 8 votes
    Greg van Avermaet
    10%
    FatheadEsrohn-dawgBugsy2000Andy Magicspock. 6 votes
    Andre Greipel
    12%
    Brian?InquitusTaxuser1dermabrasionDaithiMCirishrover99mhiggy09 7 votes
    Tony Martin
    3%
    OrmusFigsy32 2 votes
    Sam Bennett
    17%
    Sundyel telj@utisROK ONBoscoirlSubpopuluslukegjpotterShedite27REBELSAFCrocky911 10 votes
    Jonathan Harris-Bass's chocolate truffle recipe
    3%
    StokolanArrow in the Knee 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dan Martin

well someone has to say it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Andre Greipel
    I'm going with Van Avermaet for the stage and Tony Martin to be in yellow after today at 4/1

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Andre Greipel
    i've seen showers forecast in the afternoon from accuweather all over northern france.
    kristoff for the win and van Avermaet to be in yellow at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Peter Sagan
    Too much expectation on Nibali this stage. He's had pretty poor luck so far and it could go either way today. Push too hard and he risks hitting the deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Greg van Avermaet
    Won't be able to watch today's stage. :(
    Going to try to avoid all internet until the highlights tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Peter Sagan
    This should be a classic stage. If it does rain on those cobbles I would expect crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Zdenek Stybar
    No Lars Boom in poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Sep Vanmarcke
    Sagan if he's allowed go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Andre Greipel
    Sagan if he's allowed go for it

He'll be all about protecting Nibali, but its not impossible he's in a very reduced bunch sprint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sep Vanmarcke
    Inquitus wrote: »
    He'll be all about protecting Nibali, but its not impossible he's in a very reduced bunch sprint.

Treason among the tinkoff saxo team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Griepel was pretty impressive on the cobbles during PR after working hard for his team. I'm gonna put him second to JHB's truffle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Andre Greipel
    Treason among the tinkoff saxo team?

lol I haven't had my coffee yet, if he's in a reduced bunch with Contador at the end hes defo a likely winner :)

Andre Greipel
    it would actually be nice to see roche for a change today. haven't caught a glimpse of him yet and he's meant to be road captain for sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Zdenek Stybar
    it would actually be nice to see roche for a change today. haven't caught a glimpse of him yet and he's meant to be road captain for sky.

He is working like yesterday on flat early part of stages

Also sparing himself

Will probably come more to the fore as race proceeds as some of the other SKY rider get tired especially those who have ridden hard this week and maybe have not so much stamina over 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,659 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Peter Sagan
    I like VanMarcke's chances but Florain Senechal turns 22 on Friday and hails from Cambrai. He finished 17th in the Paris Roubaix this year and is only getting stronger. I'd expect a big ride from him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Griepel looking strong so he'll be up there but anything could happen on the cobbles.I suspect Contador and Quintana could be in bother. The brown stuff will really hit the fan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well hes kept Froome upright and on the right side of echelon on stage 2 so id say hes doing a pretty good job as road captain so far even if hes not been seen much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Andre Greipel
    GVA today. He's going so well, scorched up the Mur yesterday in some illustrious climbing company. Cannot see Kristoff being involved, the heat seemed to affect him and his form seem a little short - how did he get blown out of the front echelon on Sunday ?

Cannot see any chance of Degs being brought to the finish, or Sagan for that matter. Vanmarcke and Stybar look likeliest to mix it up on the cobbles but Vamarcke is tactically a dunce and Stybar is slightly undercooked. GVA does his best work when others relax and always a man to sniff his chance. Best classics rider outside Degs and Kristoff this year. Deserves yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Andre Greipel
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I like VanMarcke's chances but Florain Senechal turns 22 on Friday and hails from Cambrai. He finished 17th in the Paris Roubaix this year and is only getting stronger. I'd expect a big ride from him today.

crashed yesterday though which is the only worry for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Alexander Kristoff
    Degenkolbalpecin ftw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Alexander Kristoff
    Degenkolb for the win. A big GC contender to abandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭daramike

Sep Vanmarcke
    I think the cobbles are being over-estimated. They are not as hard as last year, we won't have anywhere near the bad weather and they are further from the finish. I expect a reduced sprint of 50 riders myself. I think Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan and Greipel are the big stand out favourites. T Martin is interesting at a big price 66/1. He finished top 20 last year in the cobbles and has 13K after the last section to go for the win and yellow jersey. Trentin is my other outside pick at 66/1. Finished 9th in last years stage would have been higher only for a Kwiatkowski puncture. He is very strong in these longer stages and won a reduced sprint stage last year in the Tour. Of the favourites Sagan at 7/1 for the win. He finished 4th in the similar stage last year. He nearly caught Griepel on the line in stage 2 so is very strong.

Never saw betting thread sorry.

Andre Greipel
    D3PO wrote: »
    well hes kept Froome upright and on the right side of echelon on stage 2 so id say hes doing a pretty good job as road captain so far even if hes not been seen much.

really? only seen thomas and stannard with him crossing the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

he doesn't need to sheppard him to the line. Hes been conserving energy, like yesterday got him into a good position towards the end, then drifted back to conserver energy, makes a lot more sense to have the classics guys do the legwork this week so all in all that's a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

h

He said in his diary that the plan was to have those 2 with Froome

Alexander Kristoff
    Froome looks dangerously skinny here...he must have like 3% body fat, if even

U6roQop.jpg

Andre Greipel
    D3PO wrote: »
    he doesn't need to sheppard him to the line. Hes been conserving energy, like yesterday got him into a good position towards the end, then drifted back to conserver energy, makes a lot more sense to have the classics guys do the legwork this week so all in all that's a good plan.

Froome hasn't missed a split or been caught up behind a crash. That means Roche's work is done.

they/them/theirs

Andre Greipel
    Froome looks dangerously skinny here...he must have like 3% body fat, if even

U6roQop.jpg

No way is he 3% bodyfat. That's about what a body builder steps on stage at. I'd guess it's about 7 or 8%, any less and he'd be in constant danger of bonking.

they/them/theirs

Andre Greipel
    Brian? wrote: »
    Froome hasn't missed a split or been caught up behind a crash. That means Roche's work is done.

In fact it was Roche who led the charge to close down a split Saxo-Tinkoff caused.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Alexander Kristoff
    Brian? wrote: »
    No way is he 3% bodyfat. That's about what a body builder steps on stage at. I'd guess it's about 7 or 8%, any less and he'd be in constant danger of bonking.

He's definitely not 8%. Nibali remarked a few years back he was at 7% at the Dauphine and he couldn't follow Contador and Froome as their BF% was lower and his fat level couldn't follow that. I also read somewhere saying he attributes that weight loss as to being vital for his Tour win. I'd say Contador and Nibali are at 5/6% and Froome is below that. I read on another forum that some guy watched all the cyclists at the start line in person the other day and they all looked skinny, but Froome looked like a zombie.

Advertisement