Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2015 thread **Please use spoiler tags before midnight**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Thibaut Pinot
    Was it Fuglsang who was with Nibali at the end of the stage? Don't think Boom would have been allowed attack his team leader at the death there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nairo Quintana
    It was Fuglsang, Boom won the stage for Belkin. Anyway he is racing it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Thibaut Pinot
    Yeah just saw on CN Boom is riding. Outside of the issue of why his cortisol levels are low, I think Astana haven't much choice in the matter of Boom riding. They apparently asked the UCI to let them replace Boom with Zanotti, the UCI refused, & in such a brutal 3 weeks would any team voluntarily sacrifice a team member? I think their hand is forced to have Boom ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Alberto Contador
    pelevin wrote: »
    Yeah just saw on CN Boom is riding. Outside of the issue of why his cortisol levels are low, I think Astana haven't much choice in the matter of Boom riding. They apparently asked the UCI to let them replace Boom with Zanotti, the UCI refused, & in such a brutal 3 weeks would any team voluntarily sacrifice a team member? I think their hand is forced to have Boom ride.

True

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

any stream for the start of this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How do they decide the starting order for the itt. There doesn'ts eem to be any order to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Vincenzo Nibali
    pelevin wrote: »
    Was it Fuglsang who was with Nibali at the end of the stage? Don't think Boom would have been allowed attack his team leader at the death there!

My memory must be fading. A mixmatch of cobbles,Nibali,Boom and Astana must have confused me ;)

Nairo Quintana
    How do they decide the starting order for the itt. There doesn'ts eem to be any order to it.

They rank the team's, so MTN first all the way to Astana. So an MTN guy goes first, and Astana guy 15th and then it repeats. It's up to the teams what order they send out their men.

• Advertisement

Nairo Quintana

He's aiming for stage 3, 8 and a podium. Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

It appears James Startt and Frankie Andreu aren't doing 'Tour Talk' this year on Bicycling.com :( Loved their coverage in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not sure if it's been posted anywhere but this is one of the coolest cycling videos I've ever seen. OricaGreenEdge had a GoPro on his head attending the scene of yesterday's crash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Vincenzo Nibali
    degenkolb to win todays stage

This review of the TDF game is pretty funny:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Alberto Contador
    I think after week one of the Tour ...

Froome looks the strongest
    Quintana & outsider Van der Garderan next
    Then contador
    And Nibali...

Contador stayed outta trouble & will get stronger in the mountains...
    I think we are lucky as viewers that none of the big GC boys have been taken out by the crashes or cobbles so far...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Vincenzo Nibali
    froome id say. to be tested by quintana. nibali is gone. and contador has it tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just realised I won't be somewhere where I can watch the tour for the last 5 stages, bit of a pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Anyone tell me what's the point of the mavic neutral service car. I really can't remember anyone ever using one and I've been watching cycling a long time, and not even taking a spare wheel
    Same with the Vittorio car in the giro

And how is virenque still doing ads for festina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just realised I won't be somewhere where I can watch the tour for the last 5 stages, bit of a pisser.

Same. Plan to record it on Sky and exercise a sports news blackout when away. Don't think there's enough room to record that many stages. Might have to be selective about which stages to record.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Alberto Contador
    Anyone tell me what's the point of the mavic neutral service car. I really can't remember anyone ever using one and I've been watching cycling a long time, and not even taking a spare wheel

And how is virenque still doing ads for festina

They do get use if there's multiple breakaways, dropped riders, etc.

Can't remember who it was, possibly Lars Boom, but they were giving out on twitter that they got a neutral service wheel at Roubaix and it was too old fashioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Nairo Quintana
    Only satisfying part about Nibali having a poor Tour which will probably continue is that he might actually start racing again and forget this stupid notion of one super peak for the Tour. I think he'll do the Giro next year and if he wins that try and do the Vuelta double and replicate Contador. Aru is growing into a very very solid GC guy and Nibali is running out of prime years to stamp his mark on this era.

They don't like taking bikes from the neutral service cars because they don't have clip on pedals, only those old school toe clips.

Alberto Contador

Back in the TdF '10, Jens Voigt crashed in the mountains while his team cars were further up in the road. He got a bike from the Mavic neutral service car. That saved him from being over the time limit or being swept up by the broomwagon. The bike was way too small for him and it had toe-clips but it did the job!

286487d1378837324-pro-riders-non-pro-bikes-jens-voigt.jpg

Alberto Contador
    Prize money awarded so far in the race this year:

tumblr_nre46sgimv1ropreyo1_1280.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tigerboon wrote: »
    Same. Plan to record it on Sky and exercise a sports news blackout when away. Don't think there's enough room to record that many stages. Might have to be selective about which stages to record.

I was thinking of recording the highlights each night, and not in HD which should save a lot of space. I'm in a battle with my box at the moment to free up as much space as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Nairo Quintana
    Prize money awarded so far in the race this year:

tumblr_nre46sgimv1ropreyo1_1280.png

Lampre and FDJ would be better off on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alberto Contador
    Just curious... why are Team Sky forcing the peloton to high speeds? Sometimes at the front it's as if they are trying to chase down a breakaway... But there's no GC guys in the breakaways, and they have no sprinters. I don't remember other yellow jersey teams doing this.
    Are they trying to soften up other GC teams? Wear down other contenders so they've nothing left for climbing finishes?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just curious... why are Team Sky forcing the peloton to high speeds? Sometimes at the front it's as if they are trying to chase down a breakaway... But there's no GC guys in the breakaways, and they have no sprinters. I don't remember other yellow jersey teams doing this.
    Are they trying to soften up other GC teams? Wear down other contenders so they've nothing left for climbing finishes?

Well so far there really hasn't been any climbs but starting tomorrow they will be riding in front and softening up the opposition and setting Chris Froome up by riding at pace in the mountains

All along it has been about positioning and keeping their leader at the front and out of harm. But everyone else has the same idea and want to be at the front so invariably the pace goes up and up as they fight for position

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement