Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Fully agree with concerned people. I have often walked this area and I must say the erosion is quite unbelievable. It can only be a matter of time until the railway line becomes a matter for concern. At that point it will be too late to do very much and the cost will run into millions. Wicklow County Council have been warned but don't seem to realise the seriousness of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

and further - it should be noted that the only part of the beach with rock armor is the area where Sisk intend to build. It appears therefore that they have no interest in protecting the area (Darcy's field) which is (was!) designated as a public park.

One can understand a private company looking to omit any public responsibility (not withstanding the original point of providing a public park as part of the whole development) but Wicklow Co Co is now complicit. Who the f* is calling the shots here?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

legrand wrote: »
    and further - it should be noted that the only part of the beach with rock armor is the area where Sisk intend to build. It appears therefore that they have no interest in protecting the area (Darcy's field) which is (was!) designated as a public park.

One can understand a private company looking to omit any public responsibility (not withstanding the original point of providing a public park as part of the whole development) but Wicklow Co Co is now complicit. Who the f* is calling the shots here?

That's an easy one to answer! Sisk.

The management of WCC have no interest whatsoever in the community's wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    That's an easy one to answer! Sisk.

The management of WCC have no interest whatsoever in the community's wellbeing.

we are depending on the same dummies who "bought"(ahem) a underwater field for three million euros...to do anythin
    g sbout the erosion of the cliff..i concur eith everyone else and im down that
    way a good bit..you csn actually see the cliffs crumbling in front of you.and with eet weather the soil gets heavier hence more erosion..when kids get summer holidays and are out and about is when i would be really worried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Look at the first photo, the South Beach and the North Beach are roughly in line with each other.
    In the second photo, you can see a new bay forming inland at the North Beach. The reason is because the rock armour protects that reclaimed triangle of land behind the marina, but it also diverts the underwater currents out to sea, carrying away material from the North Beach.
    Hopefully the process will slow down naturally in a few years as some sort of new equilibrium is reached (and the land designated for the park has disappeared). In the meantime, escape/access points should be provided further up the North Beach for safety; there is no doubt that sooner or later, somebody will get cut off by the incoming tide at the north end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Why are the citizens of Greystones not pushing the powers that be on the long outstanding issues of the problems of the Harbour and North Beach areas?
    Reading through the threads on Boards.ie there are a small minority of residents unhappy and continue to post about the lack of progress etc. but it appears that the majority of residents do not wish to become involved with the civic authorities on these issues. In other parts of the country I have read about mass meetings and protests etc. when locals are unhappy about something like this but in my opinion Greystones appears to be very complacent in this regard. The constant complaining on Boards.ie over the past number of years by a few has not changed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

It is surprising in some ways but there is a lot of apathy out there when it comes to the harbour. maybe people remember signing petitions at the start of the project outlining concerns over the scale of the project, their voices were not heard or if they were heard it was with a deaf ear. Funnily enough two friends of mine who havent been in greystones for years recently spoke to me about the harbour.
    The first guy said "hey idid the cliff walk from bray to greystones last weekend,amazing walk but what the hell is going on with that huge building site / waste land / pond before you get to greystones, its disgraceful and would turn anyone off visiting " .
    The second person was a photographer who returned after many years to photograph the quaint little harbourvin greystones and he was dismayed by what he saw, his quote was "how the hell did they get away with it and what are people doing about it"
    In my opinion its time for a big public protest, the very least we should expect now is that the area would be properly landscaped and the fencing removed, make it a green area and a local amenity as there wont be any development on it for the foreceeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Why are the citizens of Greystones not pushing the powers that be on the long outstanding issues of the problems of the Harbour and North Beach areas?
    Reading through the threads on Boards.ie there are a small minority of residents unhappy and continue to post about the lack of progress etc. but it appears that the majority of residents do not wish to become involved with the civic authorities on these issues. In other parts of the country I have read about mass meetings and protests etc. when locals are unhappy about something like this but in my opinion Greystones appears to be very complacent in this regard. The constant complaining on Boards.ie over the past number of years by a few has not changed anything.

The citizens will have enough to think about when this happens.;)

The Codling Wind Park would be a 220 turbine offshore wind farm at Codling Bank 13 km off the east coast of Ireland between Greystones and Wicklow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Maybe Im losing the plot completely but an off shore wind farm wouldnt trouble me in the slighest.. Something useful..something that harnesses our natural resources...it would be visible right from my sitting room window, but thats fine, it signifies something other to me than greed.. at least there will hopefully be some benefit for all of us ultimatly, not just for the people who seek to buy public land solely for their pleasure.. Looking out my window at that would signify a chance for us to have an alternative to electricity.. Im not against change and development, blatant violation of something Ive used as an amenity for 30 plus years is very different..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bido wrote: »
    The citizens will have enough to think about when this happens.;)

The Codling Wind Park would be a 220 turbine offshore wind farm at Codling Bank 13 km off the east coast of Ireland between Greystones and Wicklow ...

And that's probably where it will remain. The Arklow bank is already established, but the plans to increase it by another 197 turbines were scrapped in 2007. Is the current Arklow Bank windfarm a blight on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    And that's probably where it will remain. The Arklow bank is already established, but the plans to increase it by another 197 turbines were scrapped in 2007. Is the current Arklow Bank windfarm a blight on the horizon?

and do weget the benifit of the wind power or will it go to britain¿do the turbines off arklow power the south east¿

There is an interconnector cable between Ireland and GB. If the power is flowing to them, they pay for it. If it flows to us, we pay.
    13 km is a long way out to sea BTW, I'd be quite pleased to see energy being produced out there, harnessing the wind like a sailing boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

recedite wrote: »
    Look at the first photo, the South Beach and the North Beach are roughly in line with each other.
    In the second photo, you can see a new bay forming inland at the North Beach. The reason is because the rock armour protects that reclaimed triangle of land behind the marina, but it also diverts the underwater currents out to sea, carrying away material from the North Beach.
    Hopefully the process will slow down naturally in a few years as some sort of new equilibrium is reached (and the land designated for the park has disappeared). In the meantime, escape/access points should be provided further up the North Beach for safety; there is no doubt that sooner or later, somebody will get cut off by the incoming tide at the north end.

The EIS for the harbour development stated that erosion on the Greystones North Beach would increase as a result of the 2 new breakwaters. Sispar were supposed to place beach nourishment on the beach to mitigate this. However they only placed a tiny fraction of this material. The result is that huge amounts of the beach have eroded along with the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

That is staggering...I thought perhaps it was the tide when I looked and this originally, but the south beach remains unchanged....

The EIS for the harbour development stated that erosion on the Greystones North Beach would increase as a result of the 2 new breakwaters. Sispar were supposed to place beach nourishment on the beach to mitigate this.
    It would have been a futile exercise anyway IMO. Like trying to keep the tide out of your sandcastle. It was just something stupid Sisk agreed to, for the sake of the planning permission.
    Either you accept the changing geography, or you install some more breakwaters and/or rock armour further up the north beach. Those are the only real options in regard to the erosion.

Either way, we need a concrete access ramp built down to the beach at The Grove, as per the Reach for the Beach campaign. If the end of the ramp is built at or below sea level, it won't really be affected by the encroaching sea anyway. With further erosion of the beach, it would gradually find itself terminating below the high water line, like a slipway, instead of at the cliff. But it would still be just as usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Langerland wrote: »
    That is staggering...I thought perhaps it was the tide when I looked and this originally, but the south beach remains unchanged....

careful now, there is no link at all (:eek:) between the harbour development and the increased erosion. That's why we have the separate erosion thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056629299

Some really great photos here of Greystones from times past

(project for PixbyJohn - before/after :))

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=greystones&type=AllFields&submit=FIND&filter%5B%5D=format%3A%22Photo%22

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

aynneone wrote: »

didn't work, coming up as invalid attachment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

didn't work, coming up as invalid attachment.

I can see them - maybe it is the permissions?
    Open to Mods as opposed to open to all?
    Sometimes I use flickr or other free tools to link in photos - only issue is when my account expires or I forget about it...

Might also help if you reduce the quality / size, they take a while to open, but I particularly liked the contrast of the first photo.

Maybe this? (just puting the links into the [ i m g ] wrappers - but if others still can't see them then it is definitely rights related

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I get "Boards.ie Message: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

I get "Boards.ie Message: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Me too.

Thanks guys, will have a play with this again later, was trying to post the picture directly into the message as opposed to just putting a link, will take your advice and post them via flickr...I cant resist my photographic jibing ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Me too.

same here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry to be a total nuisance... going to post the 2 images again, from flickr this time just to see if they will open, if not I will just crawl away in defeat .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14074265@N00/8940346790/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14074265@N00/8939675385/

Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Press release from Tom Fortune below.

The announcement that the finance is not in place for the Primary Care Centre (PCC) at Greystones harbour while disappointing for the town as a whole may prove to be an important step in having the harbour area cleaned up and restored as an amenity for the community according to Greystones County Councillor Tom Fortune. “The most recent report on the PCC states that funding for the project was not in place and appears unlikely” said Fortune. “The loss of the PCC is obviously a major disappointment for the Town as a whole however now that there is clarity with regard to this matter we can focus our attention on rectifying the derelict site at the Harbour.

For the last two years we have been repeatedly told that funding was in place and the construction would start imminently. However each deadline for commencement was missed and many of us had suspected for some time that the PCC was in fact very unlikely- a suspicion that has now been confirmed. The prospect that construction work in the harbour area was likely to commence at any time served as an obstacle to putting a landscaping plan in place. It was difficult to make plans because of the uncertainty around the area’s future. However now that we know that work will not commence we can now focus on landscaping, the removal of unnecessary hoardings and fencing and the opening up of the harbour area as a public amenity.

We now have a thriving marina in Greystones and each weekend sees significant numbers of visiting yachts which have helped the local economy as well as creating a buzz in the harbour area. We need to capitalise on this. The public needs to be able to view the marina and to access all of the harbour walls. We need to remove the fencing and ugly debris, grass the whole area and provide public walkways around the inner harbour.” Fortune concluded

Well let's hopes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Press release from Tom Fortune below.

The announcement that the finance is not in place for the Primary Care Centre (PCC) at Greystones harbour while disappointing for the town as a whole may prove to be an important step in having the harbour area cleaned up and restored as an amenity for the community according to Greystones County Councillor Tom Fortune. “The most recent report on the PCC states that funding for the project was not in place and appears unlikely” said Fortune. “The loss of the PCC is obviously a major disappointment for the Town as a whole however now that there is clarity with regard to this matter we can focus our attention on rectifying the derelict site at the Harbour.

For the last two years we have been repeatedly told that funding was in place and the construction would start imminently. However each deadline for commencement was missed and many of us had suspected for some time that the PCC was in fact very unlikely- a suspicion that has now been confirmed. The prospect that construction work in the harbour area was likely to commence at any time served as an obstacle to putting a landscaping plan in place. It was difficult to make plans because of the uncertainty around the area’s future. However now that we know that work will not commence we can now focus on landscaping, the removal of unnecessary hoardings and fencing and the opening up of the harbour area as a public amenity.

We now have a thriving marina in Greystones and each weekend sees significant numbers of visiting yachts which have helped the local economy as well as creating a buzz in the harbour area. We need to capitalise on this. The public needs to be able to view the marina and to access all of the harbour walls. We need to remove the fencing and ugly debris, grass the whole area and provide public walkways around the inner harbour.” Fortune concluded

So i anyone going to be heald accountable for lying to the community for the last two years about the funding? Which has delayed anyone forcing the landscaping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Would be a great spot for a proper farmers and fisher's market, properly controlled and managed but all the same nice to see some progress even if it is not what we had been promised.

Advertisement