Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Those requests seem very reasonable & hard to argue with.

Great to see the community & politicians pushing for the site to be cleaned up to some extent - I did hear someone mention recently that it could potentially be up to 5-10 years before Sispar get building again. Thats a long time to be looking at fencing & dereliction

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

The delay in building is difficult to call.

It would seem most unlikely that there will be any real recovery in 5 years and there is a distinct possibility that it could be 15 years. It doesn't really matter though. Because there is a real probability that nothing will happen in the short term the dereliction must be rectified. There is nothing in the contract that says that the people and businesses of Greystones have to look at this mess indefinitely just because the developer doesn't feel its economic to build right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It doesn't really matter whether it's 5 or 10 or 20 years - most, imo, would settle for it being tidied up, leveled, seeded and the fencing removed. Nothing that would prevent building in the future*.

*Not trawling back over the thread on a Friday, but what is the story with planning permission? If it was a normal development, it'd be expiring soon (before any time that it'd be viable anyway), and hard to see how they could argue, or the council could accept it, as substantially complete? To extend a normal houses planning permission, you'd have to be up to roof level to get an automatic extension, whereas they haven't even broken ground for the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

and did i miss some thing or wheres the medical center that was supposed to be started by now ..several times over i.i.r.c

Macy0161 wrote: »

*Not trawling back over the thread on a Friday, but what is the story with planning permission? If it was a normal development, it'd be expiring soon (before any time that it'd be viable anyway), and hard to see how they could argue, or the council could accept it, as substantially complete? To extend a normal houses planning permission, you'd have to be up to roof level to get an automatic extension, whereas they haven't even broken ground for the buildings.

They ought to have finished a year ago but a council official-without even consulting the elected councillors- gave the developers a time extension. They appear to have another couple of years. Why the elected representatives take this kind of behaviour by council officials lying down is a mystery but there you are

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    and did i miss some thing or wheres the medical center that was supposed to be started by now ..several times over i.i.r.c

Its been starting "next month" for two years now and guess what?....Last week the councillors were told it was starting in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Its been starting "next month" for two years now and guess what?....Last week the councillors were told it was starting in May!

May 2016 or May 2020?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement

May 2016 or May 2020?

whoever is responsible should resign or stepdown ..the buck stops with somebody ..they aught to be ashamed of themselves for the whole eyesore of an area its become..medical center my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zohan

Well this was the attidude from the Co. Manager in WicklowCoCo in 2011 so I think anyone stepping down isn't really on their radar. They appear not to see anything wrong with the project. (Taken from

COMHAIRLE CHONTAE CHILL MHANTAIN MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING OF WICKLOW COUNTYCOUNCIL HELD ONMONDAY 18TH
    JULY, 2011 IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, COUNTY BUILDINGS,WICKLOW AT 2.00 P.M.)

"The Harbour project is one of the best projects entered into by this Council the objective of which was to provide a harbour marina and other water based facilities to the people of Greystones at no cost to Wicklow County Council or the general taxpayer and there is a very fine harbour in place currently and alot has been achieved"

Zohan wrote: »
    "The Harbour project is one of the best projects entered into by this Council the objective of which was to provide a harbour marina and other water based facilities to the people of Greystones at no cost to Wicklow County Council or the general taxpayer and there is a very fine harbour in place currently and alot has been achieved"

No Cost to the taxpayer! Conveniently ignoring the €millions that NAMA would have written off the loan to Sisk!
    But you are right he has absolutely no sense of the mess they have left the place in. But why would he. The same person squandered millions on land in a floodplain that wasn't needed and gets away with it. He is not even censured by the elected representatives or by Governement. So why should he worry about this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

here's a different view on the harbour :) - taken from a microlight last week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkRTC1RVO88

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

tc20 wrote: »
    here's a different view on the harbour :) - taken from a microlight last week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkRTC1RVO88

Looks fantastic, a great amenity to the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Looks fantastic, a great amenity to the area.

Looks like a WW2 bomb site....really awfull :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zohan

I don't own a boat, nor am I in a sea-based club. I used to use the harbour for the pure enjoyment of the beautiful landscape. Maybe if I had a boat I could use it to get past the prison walls and enjoy the view of the horizon and Bray Head again. I don't think this is such a fantastic amenity for ordinary harbour users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Looks like a WW2 bomb site....really awfull :mad:

yeah,if i had the cash i would stick a nice little 9 hole pitch and putt course on that bomb sight...looks dredfull

Zohan wrote: »
    I don't own a boat, nor am I in a sea-based club. I used to use the harbour for the pure enjoyment of the beautiful landscape. Maybe if I had a boat I could use it to get past the prison walls and enjoy the view of the horizon and Bray Head again. I don't think this is such a fantastic amenity for ordinary harbour users.

Guess you don't own a microlight either! But that's the answer. If the 15,000-odd people in Greystones who don't sail all bought boats (or microlights) then they would all enjoy the "fantastic amenity".

No offence Commander but the argument that the rest of the population should "put up with" what's there because there is a great amenity for the handful of us that use the harbour is really (albeit unintentionally) infuriating to the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Ahh but Fiachra, its only righting the wrong there has been for years when the ordinary citizens were flaunting their enjoyment of the harbour at the expense of the poor sailors (tongue in cheek..)

532275_10151821351068066_18984719_n.jpg

Couldnt post side by side, but this is my 'after' picture,please look.. :(

That sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    That sums it up.
    Greystones harbour as it was is on the side of the Dublin Bus tour buses.

I was fond of pointing it out to people, to show how beautiful my home town was. I don't point it out any more.

aynneone wrote: »
    Couldnt post side by side, but this is my 'after' picture,please look.. :(

give yourself a round of applause whoevers responsible..you must be really proud of yourself for this blight on the landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The submissions to the Local Area draft development plan have all been considered now by the council , and the proposed amendments by WCC are available online. (Scroll down to; "Stage 3" then "the managers report")

On P.102 a submission by "Greystones Harbour and North Beach Action Plan" reports that
    The lack of coastal protection has led to division of the beach at The Gap Bridge. Request Council to review and provide secondary access to North Beach, at the site of where the Historic Gap Bridge was removed. This access is missed by local residents at north of the town.
    The county manager responds by recommending "no change" to the draft plan because;
    Due to coastal erosion issues, there is no feasible option available at this stage, to provide secondary access to North Beach.
    However, in the other document; Stage 3 "proposed material alterations" it is proposed to make a subtle change to the wording of the part dealing with the harbour environs;
    PROPOSED MATERIAL ALTERATION NO. 24
    10.4 AP3: GREYSTONES HARBOUR AND NORTH BEACH ACTION PLAN; Zone 2 Public Park
    Creation of an attractive linear coastal public park to include:
    Provision of new landscaped public park for passive recreation and some appropriate sporting uses, incorporating Wicklow Coastal Walk and access to any future Heritage Park at the site of medieval Rathdown
    Appropriate planting, walkways, signage and seating to form a pleasant and successful outdoor public open space
    Capping and landscaping of the old dump, with planting to form an integral part of the park
    Creation of a sandy cove at the north end of the proposed development with good beach access from adjacent public car parking
    Provision of road access and public car parking with suitably located toilet and washroom facilities.
    Provision of coastal protection from the harbour/marina to at least 250m past the Gap Bridge. Cliffs to be re-graded and high level and low level walks with occasional access to the beach provided with appropriate planting on the slopes and sides of the walkways.
    The park is to be of contemporary design which will attract wide public use. It is intended to be an integral part of the development design concept to form a natural transition between the harbour development, the possible future heritage park, and the outstanding beauty of the natural coastal landscape up to Bray Head.
    So the proposal is to remove the strikethrough text which is currently in the draft plan (without the strikethrough). This removes the obligation/aspiration to restore public access points at the former Gap Bridge and any further access points, such as the old steps that once led down to the far end of the North Beach.

The public have a chance to comment on the proposed alterations from 7th May until 4th June. Then the proposals will be voted on by councillors.

I was down there recently and there is a fair sized cliff, about 3 metres, where the Gap Bridge ramp used to be. I also noticed a plastic drainage pipe has appeared hanging in mid-air, along the cliff between (former) Gap Bridge and the harbour. This was installed by machinery in a trench between the outer silver coloured fence and the inner green fence, only two or three years ago.There is no trace of the outer fence any more. Its obvious the erosion has got way out of control, but using this as an official excuse not to provide the public access points, instead of actually trying to tackle the problem is disappointing.

• Advertisement

Too tired to make proper sense now, but one hundred per cent concur Redecite. Im part of the Reach for the Beach campaign which was originally started by several residents from the cottages closest to the access/non access from the Gap Bridge..Im in the closest cottage to the beach but no longer have access.. we started this in the autumn of last year and within several weeks had 800 or so signatures from local residents who desperatly wanted to be able to get onto the beach the same way that people have for hundreds of years, rather than be diverted down to a man made cove and have to walk all the way down there and back.. however, since then, and apparent in pictures Ive already posted an even more serious issue has arisen...off the record, speaking to a member of the emergency services, they have nightmares about the potential catastrophe that is waiting on the North Beach now.. the beach is effectively divided at the Gap Bridge site, but worse than that...if people and you can be sure they will, scramble over and walk to the Red Rocks and the tide comes in..or there is an accident.. there is no escape, nor any access for the emergency services except for a stretcher down that fenced off pathway... I just cannot believe that WCC are that stupid... as ever, its just going to take one tragedy for them to open their eyes......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement