Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Earlier today.

2015-07-21%2018.01.17.jpg?raw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

which makes me think that the GAA never had an intention of keeping the stand.

I also get the impression that 70m budget included this. People at the time couldn't reconcile 70m with the original plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

I also get the impression that 70m budget included this. People at the time couldn't reconcile 70m with the original plans.

Let's just say the tenders for the main contract come back under €70m, even though this is a figure being thrown around for over 3 years. But how much has been spent on getting to this point with planning & design fees, legal fee, site work, demolition and piling all this before the main contract starts.
    People in MWP are saying the main contract that is now out to tender is at least a €100m excluding the All Weather 1 pitch centre of excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    But they are not rebuilding the stand as it was, they are rebuilding it as per the aproved plans (i.e. with wider steps, fewer seats and with a roof). They have permission to carry out demolition works and reconstruction works to create a certain stand with a certain capacity, they are still doing that but with more demolition and more reconstruction. The difference with your Clarion hotel example is that Cork GAA have planning permission for this carrying out major works to achieve this end product, they are not just demolishing and rebuilding without getting approval for that end product.

The approved plans have new layouts for tunnel, toilets, koisks, etc. under the north stand. The roof structure from the old south stand will be used to create the new roof for the north stand.

I suspect that is precisely what the Cork County Board will argue, and it is a very strong argument. However, they have permission for something very specific (partial demolition and reconstruction) and they are apparently altering the development in a way that is materially significant; that in law constitutes 'development' for which they do not have permission. It means that they do not have planning permission to do what they are doing - regardless of the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

More on this in today's Examiner.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/complaint-after-part-of-paacuteirc-uiacute-chaoimh-stadium-stand-knocked-343803.html
    City Hall said that, while planning permission did not list the demolition, the local authority did not consider the works to be a breach.

Seamus Kelly, of Malachy Walsh and Partners, the engineering consultants working on the stadium, notified the council on June 4 of the proposals. In his correspondence, Mr Kelly said that while the original plans provided for the formation of new steps in the northern stand — which were to sit on top of the existing structure — the developers were seeking to remove all concrete steps from the stand, citing “a high extent of corrosion of steel reinforcement”.

He said the new plans involved removing 960 sq m of concrete “over and above that already removed”.

“We would be obliged for confirmation that the planning authority has no objection to the proposal outlined,” said Mr Kelly. “We will welcome an immediate decision, because demolition works are currently in progress.”

The council replied on June 16 saying it did not consider the works breached the planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

mire wrote: »
    I suspect that is precisely what the Cork County Board will argue, and it is a very strong argument. However, they have permission for something very specific (partial demolition and reconstruction) and they are apparently altering the development in a way that is materially significant; that in law constitutes 'development' for which they do not have permission. It means that they do not have planning permission to do what they are doing - regardless of the end product.

According to the PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACT, 2000;
    Exempted development
    4.—(1) The following shall be exempted developments for the purposes of this Act—

(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

The external appearance or end product is more important than the internal structure. They already have planning permission for the final stand so I guess replacing the internal structure wouldnt be a problem once the final stand has the same external appearance, heights, dimensions, capacity, etc. as that which was approved, regardless of the internal structure. They also have permission for major demolition works which probably has conditions relating to noise, traffic routes, etc. which would remain relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

With all of the delays i can foresee, will Pairc Ui Chaoimh be opened for years to come? It isn't looking too hopeful. Looks like Cork GAA teams will be playing all of their big games outside of Cork for the foreseeable future.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Johnnyjump wrote:
    With all of the delays i can foresee, will Pairc Ui Chaoimh be opened for years to come? It isn't looking too hopeful. Looks like Cork GAA teams will be playing all of their big games outside of Cork for the foreseeable future.

What delays? Construction of the new stand wasn't going to start until September anyway so they're using this time to demolish the north stand, council have said they're allowing the demolition of this. Cork gaa have said it should still be finished for may 2017 for the Munster final. Funding may still be a problem though with this extra construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

case885 wrote: »
    What delays? Construction of the new stand wasn't going to start until September anyway so they're using this time to demolish the north stand, council have said they're allowing the demolition of this. Cork gaa have said it should still be finished for may 2017 for the Munster final. Funding may still be a problem though with this extra construction.

I don't think there is going to be delays with the added work well at least from a construction point of view. Its obvious the main stand is the critical path for completing the project, there is extra work involved with the north stand but nothing the can't be done in parrallel with the south stand. What they were trying to with the north stand was really niggely work, between reinforcing underneath, recast over the old steps , widening the entraces etc. There was a lot of very careful structural work involved.

While its probably more expensive its a way simpler job now, everything will be brought in precast and can be plonked in place, and there should be some economy of scale considering they are doing more or less the same on the opposite side. Plus they now get a structure with a proper known life span and won't have to revisit in another 20 years.

If there is a delay , it will be from funding side of things or the inevitable objection that comes with this.

There is the potential, if they proceed as is, for either an high court injunction or for the need for an application for retention to City Council where the decision is appealed to an bord pleanala.

Why build a new old stand and why build one stand (southern side) so high now that both stands have come down. There's still time for a redesign, scrap the current plans. Build both stands the same height. It'll set them back time wise but at least they'd finally get it right. The could even consider moving the stadium away from the embankment and into the centre of the showgrounds improving circulation on all sides.

As this is publicly funded and will require double what was previously anticipated the County Board should be removed from the design team as they have proven themselves to be inept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

As this is publicly funded and will require double what was previously anticipated the County Board should be removed from the design team as they have proven themselves to be inept.

Do we know for sure at this early stage that this will require double the funding?

There is the potential, if they proceed as is, for either an high court injunction or for the need for an application for retention to City Council where the decision is appealed to an bord pleanala.

Why build a new old stand and why build one stand (southern side) so high now that both stands have come down. There's still time for a redesign, scrap the current plans. Build both stands the same height. It'll set them back time wise but at least they'd finally get it right. The could even consider moving the stadium away from the embankment and into the centre of the showgrounds improving circulation on all sides.

I would say the chance of someone taking a high court injunction is pretty low. The case would be weak considering the awarding authority does not see any breach of the planning, it would be very costly for the individual/group to take the case and the project is generally favoured and having a demolished stadium in the city with no games benefits nobody.

The new southern stand will house County Board offices, conference facilities, shop, cafe and museum, splitting these between two stands will only add to the day to day running costs. Better to have one stand which is used on a daily basis, the other only opened on match days.

It is possible that the €70m budget is based on demolishing and rebuilding the north stand as the worst case scenario. It may be the case that they will simply use the full budget now instead of having the project come in under budget had they been able to reuse the existing south stand structure. We don’t have the full facts so probably best not to jump to conclusions. And CCB are not part of the design team, they employ a design team (architects, engineers, etc.) to design the project.

I would say the chance of someone taking a high court injunction is pretty low. The case would be weak considering the awarding authority does not see any breach of the planning, it would be very costly for the individual/group to take the case and the project is generally favoured and having a demolished stadium in the city with no games benefits nobody.

The new southern stand will house County Board offices, conference facilities, shop, cafe and museum, splitting these between two stands will only add to the day to day running costs. Better to have one stand which is used on a daily basis, the other only opened on match days.

It is possible that the €70m budget is based on demolishing and rebuilding the north stand as the worst case scenario. It may be the case that they will simply use the full budget now instead of having the project come in under budget had they been able to reuse the existing south stand structure. We don’t have the full facts so probably best not to jump to conclusions. And CCB are not part of the design team, they employ a design team (architects, engineers, etc.) to design the project.

Reports from city hall are that someone who has experience with environmental and planning law is already sniffing around the file so watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

l'm absolutely delighted the 2nd stand was knocked. It was a kip.

By rights the whole thing should be leveled but having the two stands knocked is a massive improvement over one !!!!

l couldn't care less what is going on because God knows it has happened but the stadium might have some chance of looking decent now. Although how you can build a state of the art stand and have two 1970's soviet style terraces beside it is beyond me.

But as for the 2nd stand, l'm delighted.

clerk wrote: »
    l'm absolutely delighted the 2nd stand was knocked. It was a kip.

By rights the whole thing should be leveled but having the two stands knocked is a massive improvement over one !!!!

l couldn't care less what is going on because God knows it has happened but the stadium might have some chance of looking decent now. Although how you can build a state of the art stand and have two 1970's soviet style terraces beside it is beyond me.

But as for the 2nd stand, l'm delighted.

Best terraces in the country by a mile to watch a game from. The underneath of them will be redone to improve circulation and facilities for spectators in the redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭lukin

Espanyol built a brand new 40,000 capacity all-seater stadium for €60 million in 2009;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadi_Cornell%C3%A0-El_Prat
    I know that was six years ago but still it shows how overpriced PUC is.

Are some of the terraces being demolished now too? Looks like it in recent photos.

Are some of the terraces being demolished now too? Looks like it in recent photos.

You mean the city and blackrock ends ?

lbj666 wrote:
    You mean the city and blackrock ends ?

Yes, it looks like the middle of the terrace has been demolished?

Yes, it looks like the middle of the terrace has been demolished?

it's getting better and better. :D

• Advertisement

Just went down to take a look. Seems to me that the lower tier of both terraces are knocked.

Just went down to take a look. Seems to me that the lower tier of both terraces are knocked.

That was always the plan.

Really the whole place should have been levelled from the start, unroofed terraces couldn't add that much more and would save them having to do it in 10 years time.

Really the whole place should have been levelled from the start, unroofed terraces couldn't add that much more and would save them having to do it in 10 years time.

It might happen yet.

Aiken requested they cut into the city end terrace so that you can swap out false seating with a stage for concerts.

It might happen yet.

Aiken requested they cut into the city end terrace so that you can swap out false seating with a stage for concerts.

Nah theres ways around that and theres no seating planned for the blackrock city ends anyway.

But ya , knocking the lower section of the terraces was always the plan, i am just wondering if they knock the whole uncovered stand for because of "poor structurual condition" ;) the condition of the terraces can't be much better.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Nah theres ways around that and theres no seating planned for the blackrock city ends anyway.

But ya , knocking the lower section of the terraces was always the plan, i am just wondering if they knock the whole uncovered stand for because of "poor structurual condition" ;) the condition of the terraces can't be much better.

False standing then. There's definitely a removable structure going into the middle section of the city end.

False standing then. There's definitely a removable structure going into the middle section of the city end.

Ah ok never knew that. Not a bad plan to be fair.

lbj666 wrote: »

I'll sign a affidavit to that effect no problem. :D;)

I cannot for the life me understand how the terraces can pass modern health and safety standards. There is no way those steps are even. there are cracks in the structure in several places in the actual structure and knocking the 2 stands which were up against it hardly did it any favours structurally. On top of all that it's built on a bog.

Looking at it yesterday the outside of the structure looks absolutely dire. What are they going to do to the outside, give it a lick of paint ?

Also, it was built in 1973/4, when asbestos was commonly used in buildings, which in itself could be a huge problem.

I cannot for the life me understand how the terraces can pass modern health and safety standards. There is no way those steps are even. there are cracks in the structure in several places in the actual structure and knocking the 2 stands which were up against it hardly did it any favours structurally. On top of all that it's built on a bog.

Looking at it yesterday the outside of the structure looks absolutely dire. What are they going to do to the outside, give it a lick of paint ?

Also, it was built in 1973/4, when asbestos was commonly used in buildings, which in itself could be a huge problem.

The facade of the terraces will have a wall at the bottom and slatted timber cladding above as can be seen in the renders;

Pairc-1.jpg

Pairc-1024x628.jpg

The actual planning application documents on the Cork City Council website have a full range of photo-montage images. I think it looks quite well with a mix of different materials.

If the structure of the terraces is good, the condition of the steps could be easily improved and levelled with a concrete screed.

• Advertisement

The facade of the terraces will have a wall at the bottom and slatted timber cladding above as can be seen in the renders;

If the structure of the terraces is good, the condition of the steps could be easily improved and levelled with a concrete screed.

Ok - thanks for that post.

The thing about timber is it looks fab when it goes up but then 10/15 Years later it looks ****e. If they put timber on the outside of the structure on the terraces in P Ui C it will all rot in time. It's right beside a river and a large pond as well. I'm not an expert in that area but I would imagine there is a lot of dampness down there.

You only have to look at the timber 'facade' on the various Celtic tiger apartments all around the City to see what sexy timber turns to. A modern steel structure in a similar design might look nice and might actually last for more than a few decades.

Again thanks for the post but I wouldn't say there will be anything easy at all about having the steps " levelled with a concrete screed", the steps are all over the gaff. I reckon they were designed a young engineer who in his later Years designed the original magic roundabout before reaching his piccacle when he got his hands on Douglas village. The steps are bizarrely uneven, way off equal heights, there are cracks all over the gaff, it would take a genius to sort them out.

We had a engineer/builder in work for 2/3 Days trying to fix a stairs with about 20 steps, so it would pass Health & Safety, and trust me those steps in their original state were a lot better then the steps in P Ui C.

Advertisement