Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

My thoughts are that it's a good thing to be brought in.

I'm interested to hear why you think it disrupts KK?? :confused:

How can u say its a good thing?? One of the most exciting part of our great game has been taken away in my opinion because of sheedys influence. And just so happens Tipp missed 2 penalties last September. Wake up and smell the coffee!! But alls not lost, I'm sure mr cody will plan for it. Why this rule change is so extreme is beyond belief.

The game of hurling is there so long. Why take two players out and leave just the keeper? Th ere's a big difference in football and hurling. Their ruining the beautiful game...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

pat 22 wrote: »
    How can u say its a good thing?? One of the most exciting part of our great game has been taken away in my opinion because of sheedys influence. And just so happens Tipp missed 2 penalties last September. Wake up and smell the coffee!! But alls not lost, I'm sure mr cody will plan for it. Why this rule change is so extreme is beyond belief.

The game of hurling is there so long. Why take two players out and leave just the keeper? Th ere's a big difference in football and hurling. Their ruining the beautiful game...

your right there is a big difference between hurlin and football but you have to remember where this whole thing started , goal keepers taking 21's from the 5 yard line and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah I really don't see how this is an anti Kilkenny thing. That would take a wild stretch off the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Sheedy wasn't the only guy involved. That review committee contained individuals from a rake of counties including our own Pat Henderson. Something had to be done for penalties. It will benefit everyone not just Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That's a bit paranoid, I think. Tipp missed 2 penalties that day, but may have scored them on another day. Penalty-takers all over the country had come out saying that penalties were now almost impossible to score, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect takers to take them from a certain mark.

The game is constantly evolving, and I think this change is definitely one for the better. Seemed to be interesting during the Walsh & Waterford Crystal Cups, where a lot were saved. It makes it very interesting, a one-on-one duel between shooter and shot-stopper.

There is also a strong argument to be made that if players are being dragged down and fouled just as they are about to score a goal, then a goal should be the expected result of the penalty. If the 3 men are actually statistically more likely to make the save, then that's promoting fouling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

In my opinion it will bring DIVING into the game of hurling. Something that was never there . It will be thought/ bred/ thumped/ beaten into fowards. One on one is a dead cert goal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

In my opinion it will bring DIVING into the game of hurling. Something that was never there . It will be thought/ bred/ thumped/ beaten into fowards. One on one is a dead cert goal

Well that's the other side of it.

But I would say it's not a new thing, people having been buying easy frees and going down easily for a while now, as much as some would hate to admit it.

And the 30% conversion rate or whatever it was would suggest otherwise, but I imagine it should go higher as players get used to it.

More of an incentive for diving alright. Suppose it's up to our old friend, the man in black to be wise to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Who do Kieran's play in the semi? I've heard the two munster teams are good. What's the Galway team like this year?

Obviously depends on the 1/4 finals but Kieran's will more than likely be playing Rochestown in the semis. I read the opposite about the Harty cup competition on another forum, someone claiming that it wasn't a strong competition this year.
    I know for a fact that there is no tradition or great interest in sport from the teaching side in Rochestown so getting to both the hurling and football finals in Munster was some achievement by the lads involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

In my opinion it will bring DIVING into the game of hurling. Something that was never there .

Pa Cronin says hello...

• Advertisement

Cracking Fitzgibbon final last night given the conditions, some notable contributions from the Kilkenny contingent. Thought Ger Teehan and Jack Langton did well for WIT and Eoin McGrath improved as the game went on after a very ropey start. Johnny Hayes made a very good impression when he came in and must have a strong case for starting the replay. Brian Troy and Eoin Moriarty were solid without being spectacular for UL but Conor Martin was a big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think you should head over to the conspiracy theory forum pat.

Haha!! Well it wudnt b the first time I was suspicious... I can't help myself these past few yrs. It all started for me in 2013... First it was Matt Ruth's point against Waterford. Then Kelly in last yrs all ireland final. As brian said himself handing tipp a free shot to win the final.
    Its been really difficult for me!! I havnt been sleeping great with awhile now bcos of these things going on !! :-)

Haha!! Well it wudnt b the first time I was suspicious... I can't help myself these past few yrs. It all started for me in 2013... First it was Matt Ruth's point against Waterford. Then Kelly in last yrs all ireland final. As brian said himself handing tipp a free shot to win the final.
    Its been really difficult for me!! I havnt been sleeping great with awhile now bcos of these things going on !! :-)

In fairness to James Owens on the Matt Ruth point, Eddie Brennan hightlighted this on TSG, Mick Fennelly played the ball forward and it was going to a Waterford guy so the ref looked at his watch and the time was up by the time he looked back up the Waterford defender had misscontrolled and Ruth was lining up his shot but he had already committed to blowing.
    Kelly is a different case Davy Glennons' dive in '12 drawn final, Henry's sending off in '13 and then the free in this years drawn final, three major incorrect decisions from the same ref... just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

In fairness to James Owens on the Matt Ruth point, Eddie Brennan hightlighted this on TSG, Mick Fennelly played the ball forward and it was going to a Waterford guy so the ref looked at his watch and the time was up by the time he looked back up the Waterford defender had misscontrolled and Ruth was lining up his shot but he had already committed to blowing.
    Kelly is a different case Davy Glennons' dive in '12 drawn final, Henry's sending off in '13 and then the free in this years drawn final, three major incorrect decisions from the same ref... just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

That's a long list u got there!! No need to anymore about that. In my opinion all was needed was another line a few metres in. It was getting a bit crazy. I dont think there was need for such a change.

Interesting summer ahead though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

citykat wrote: »
    Yes to both of those questions.
    Thanks, hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

Interesting article in the independent yesterday about the prevalence of injuries in 16 to 21 year olds.

Kkboy wrote: »

Interesting article in the independent yesterday about the prevalence of injuries in 16 to 21 year olds.

Yea especially cruciate injuries. To get a cruciate injury at that age is mental IMO. A friend of mine whose son is a promising hurler got a cruciate injury at 14. He was told it could've been down to the blade type studs the lad was wearing.

Hopefully DM makes a full recovery. Super hurler and still only 17. A great prospect.

citykat wrote: »
    Yea especially cruciate injuries. To get a cruciate injury at that age is mental IMO. A friend of mine whose son is a promising hurler got a cruciate injury at 14. He was told it could've been down to the blade type studs the lad was wearing.

Hopefully DM makes a full recovery. Super hurler and still only 17. A great prospect.

This is actually DMs' second cruciate injury and he has just turned 17!

This is actually DMs' second cruciate injury and he has just turned 17!

That's tough. It's not uncommon for the knee to go again if it wasn't 100% after the first time. Can be a nasty injury though. In some cases, they have to take some of the hamstring and place this in the joint when there's not enough ligament left. That's leaves you with a hamstring to rehab as well as the cruciate!
    If it was the other knee, that was pure bad luck.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Miall108, pat22 and wallywhittle quit the off topic bickering - you come back and continue it, there will be bans handed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The very idea that the new penalty rule has anything to do with Kilkenny is totally off the wall, however I don't like the rule that has been brought in. I believe a small line 18yards from goal would have solved the issue, leave the 3 men there, place the ball on the 21 and hit by the 18. Given the speeds that the top players can hit the ball TJ Reid was measured @181.2km/h over a distance of 19.2024m it actually means the keeper has 0.3815seconds before the ball crosses the line. Given human reaction times are between 0.150 and 0.300seconds to instigate movement they won't see the ball but will be reacting to the takers body language. While this would also be true for a shot hit at 18 yards the fact you have 3 player's to stop it evens the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Can someone tell me the following;
    1) Who on last years minor all-Ireland winning team is still eligible to play again in 2015.
    2) Who on the current St. Kierans team are eligible to play minor this year.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Heard John Walsh did his cruciate and shattered his kneecap in a freak accident with DIT. His is year over already and possibly a career threatening injury.
    Hope he makes a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Bad news follows bad news. Bad enough to read about John Walsh but to read we have to put up with Barry Kelly next Sunday just adds to the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Bad news follows bad news. Bad enough to read about John Walsh but to read we have to put up with Barry Kelly next Sunday just adds to the bad news.

Well that's me not travelling so. I was willing to spend the 2+ hours up and back to Galway to see how the lads are progressing after the Dublin game but I won't stir an inch now that Kelly is reffing it. I would end up crashing on the way home after thinking of all the crazy decisions he awarded against us and probably Galway too and I don't want to see the kind of game Kelly refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Genuinely don't understand why people would boycott a game because of the ref.

When people like me who can't go to games reads something like that it really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

andyman wrote: »
    Genuinely don't understand why people would boycott a game because of the ref.

When people like me who can't go to games reads something like that it really annoys me.

I presume tbiggertycome was joking.......

Jesus I hope he was anyway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

I presume tbiggertycome was joking.......

Jesus I hope he was anyway :eek:

Dont know about that kelly is bad for my mental state any time i see a match he refs. I couldnt care how bad a ref is as long as he is consistent. I didnt go the final last yr and was proved right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

dzer2 wrote: »
    Dont know about that kelly is bad for my mental state any time i see a match he refs. I couldnt care how bad a ref is as long as he is consistent. I didnt go the final last yr and was proved right in the end.

Proved right???

You missed out on arguably the greatest game of hurling that has ever been played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Proved right???

You missed out on arguably the greatest game of hurling that has ever been played.

Yeah but would be in the joy now as I would have murdered him had I being there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement