Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What's your opinion of Larkin? When he came in they said he wasn't good enough, it took him years to prove his ability, in the meantime it was claimed his village connections were why he was kept. I'm from the Boro, I still hear people make that claim. It doesn't add up.

You could say the same for Jackie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭droppingball

It shows that Cody does give guys chance to develop and the likes of Kennedy will be given a chance, it comes down to whether they remain patient, work hard and take the chance when they are ready.

I would think Cody will give the team from the last day another chance for this reason and see can they step up again. Not using many subs has been a bit of a statement from Cody to the new guys on the bench that they will not get a handy run and that they will have to earn their chance and show in training what they can do. Last year was a bit of an exception on that score using so many players but most of them had been on the panel or on the training panel for a year or two, a lot of the subs are complete fresh blood this year.

Cody has a template whereby you earn your jersey by working hard, you fight for it and its never fully yours. The new guys come in and they all realise it and work hard. Everyone knows whats expected of them and none of the panel want to let each other down. I'm hoping for those reasons that the team will be very hungry and get going again against Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

citykat wrote: »
    By my count there must be approx. 15 spaces available on the panel right now. If there are any guys looking to put their hand up, there has never been a better time to do so in all of Cody's reign.
    Regarding Keogh last weekend, I thought he actually won some good ball early on but I counted at least of his three clearances to a Dublin player that resulted in scores. Couple that with Jackie's performance and the extra man for the Dubs, the backs were always going to be under pressure. The team was lauded for its performance against Cork and rightly so. I wouldn't throw them under a bus just yet.
    I saw most of the senior clubs in action last year and bar John Dalton I didn't see any other back that I thought could do a job at inter county level. From the U21s last year, the only back that caught my eye was the full back, Mansfield, from Mullinavat. I don't get to see any Intermediate/Junior matches so I can't say if there are any notables from those ranks. If there are, they'll surely get a run in the IC intermediate team at the very least. I'm sure anybody who impresses in that team is going to be considered for the senior set up.
    If Cody is so biased towards the Village, it's a wonder he hasn't brought a few more into the panel at this time. There's a lot people, even non-Village, wondering whether Scanlon should be given a try.

Good point, if Cody is so biased towards the Village would Philly Larkin have walked, Brian McEvoy same, what about Cody dropping his son from the Kilkenny panel, what about Eoin McCormack getting his marching orders. Biased is definitely not in Brian Cody's make up. Cheap shot calling him biased. Reality is the depth in Kilkenny is not what it once was. He will have a very, very strong and competitive first 15 with one or two good additions to spring from the bench and that will be it in my opinion. How many times has Cody won all irelands with "transitional" sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Has there been any update on the Farrell red card? Any appeal or such? A little out of the loop over here.

According to the KP they're waiting on the referees report before deciding what appeal to make. It seems definite that there will be some sort of appeal regardless of what is in the report. There will be no appeal on Lyngs card.

How long would the suspension for both likely be. A sending off has a massive bearing on the fringe players as a suspension in the league could see and end to their game time for the year.

• Advertisement

How long would the suspension for both likely be. A sending off has a massive bearing on the fringe players as a suspension in the league could see and end to their game time for the year.

Depends on how serious they judge the foul:

Category II To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with a hurley, with minimal force. - 4 weeks/ min 1 match ban

Category III To strike an opponent with a hurley, either with force or causing injury. - 8 weeks/ min 2 match ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Is it just me, or are there more crazy rules than usual proposed for congress this year....bigger sliotars, 3 step limit, minor county players can't play for their club until the season is over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Kennedy was brilliant underage but can't see him making the step up now. No chance for Ruth either but Kelly and Farrell need further chances to make it - both are good at getting possession but waste it mostly. I would try Keogh at full; Murphy needs to be in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

unrealtime wrote: »
    Kennedy was brilliant underage but can't see him making the step up now. No chance for Ruth either but Kelly and Farrell need further chances to make it - both are good at getting possession but waste it mostly. I would try Keogh at full; Murphy needs to be in the corner.

Murphy has done well at FB so far only real error was allowing Luke O'Farrell into the square for the square ball goal, wouldn't have happened on JJ or Noel Hickey's watch. I would leave him there for the time being and look for a replacement for him in the corner.

I was very skeptical about Murphy at full as I thought the way he attacks the ball would go against him but he has settled in fairly well. There will be moments like when he attacked the ball last Sunday where Rushe slipped in behind and Murphy was at full throttle and he just made sure the ball hit his body and he blocked it as Rushe was in on goal otherwise. The advantage of him at corner was that he was the springboard for a lot of attacks and he covered a lot of breaking ball that JJ used to flick away or that broke from the half back line.

Cody would probably like a presence at corner back who will be able to hold his own physically which may go against Kennedy but as someone else posted he hurled really well on Joe Canning in the league last year. I even remember Kennedy giving him plenty of it off the ball early on which was great to see.

Cody may try Joey Holden at full or corner when he comes back but I'm not sure he would make it at full back at inter county. Willie Phelan and Michael Walsh must be down the pecking order as well. I hope that Padraig Walsh is given plenty of time to bed in at half back as I think this is where he plays best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

I was very skeptical about Murphy at full as I thought the way he attacks the ball would go against him but he has settled in fairly well. There will be moments like when he attacked the ball last Sunday where Rushe slipped in behind and Murphy was at full throttle and he just made sure the ball hit his body and he blocked it as Rushe was in on goal otherwise. The advantage of him at corner was that he was the springboard for a lot of attacks and he covered a lot of breaking ball that JJ used to flick away or that broke from the half back line.

Cody would probably like a presence at corner back who will be able to hold his own physically which may go against Kennedy but as someone else posted he hurled really well on Joe Canning in the league last year. I even remember Kennedy giving him plenty of it off the ball early on which was great to see.

Cody may try Joey Holden at full or corner when he comes back but I'm not sure he would make it at full back at inter county. Willie Phelan and Michael Walsh must be down the pecking order as well. I hope that Padraig Walsh is given plenty of time to bed in at half back as I think this is where he plays best.

Two things from your post:
    1) I cant believe you are condoning players belting each other off the ball - yes i do realise probable both were at it - but you're the complementing him on it - it has no place in the game!!!!

2) That was Joe's first game back after the club all ireland and he had picked up an injury in the game - he wasnt fit for the kk match and shouldnt have been playing!!!

From an outsiders perspective I think Kennedy has great potential. hes two sided, good physique and good pace and touch - all thats required for a good hurler!! hes very young and it takes time to adjust to senior intercounty!! remember in 2001 galway played kilkenny in the semi final and a certain JJ Delaney got absolutely destroyed corner back..one bad match didnt do him any harm and he didnt turn out to be a bad hurler after ;)

donnem33 wrote: »
    Two things from your post:
    1) I cant believe you are condoning players belting each other off the ball - yes i do realise probable both were at it - but you're the complementing him on it - it has no place in the game!!!!

2) That was Joe's first game back after the club all ireland and he had picked up an injury in the game - he wasnt fit for the kk match and shouldnt have been playing!!!

From an outsiders perspective I think Kennedy has great potential. hes two sided, good physique and good pace and touch - all thats required for a good hurler!! hes very young and it takes time to adjust to senior intercounty!! remember in 2001 galway played kilkenny in the semi final and a certain JJ Delaney got absolutely destroyed corner back..one bad match didnt do him any harm and he didnt turn out to be a bad hurler after ;)

droppingball didn't explicitly state what the 'off the ball' stuff was. It could have been a bit of shouldering, rather than flaking each other with their hurleys :)

1. Sorry I should have specified, Joe hit Kennedy a shoulder off the ball after a nice interception and clearance from Kennedy. Joe thinking he could bully a young hurler only starting out but Kennedy didn't back down and give him a few shoulders back, no digging or poking just a few shoulders to let him know he wasn't going to be intimidated and that he was no shrinking violet.

I don't condone the off the ball stuff where guys are jabbing fellas in the ribs and back but it goes on. But I would do the exact same as Kennedy in his position, so I suppose I do condone what he did in that scenario.

2. Irrespective of whether Joe was fit or not I meant in the physicality stakes not just hurling wise, in terms of, if Kennedy is to make it at corner back, managers will target his height with bigger men at certain stages. I didn't mean because he hurled well on Joe one day that he will make it or that he would do well on Joe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Does anybody know if there are busses travelling to Croke Park on St. Patrick day from the city.
    Thanks.

Can't help with regards buses but on the topic of the Club Finals, are the tickets included in the season ticket? And do they come as a special purchase on your account or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Can't help with regards buses but on the topic of the Club Finals, are the tickets included in the season ticket? And do they come as a special purchase on your account or how does it work?

Last year all season ticket holders were given an option of printing off a free ticket from their account for the Club Finals, i am assuming/hoping it is the same this year.

Does anybody know if there are busses travelling to Croke Park on St. Patrick day from the city.
    Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballyhale-Shamrocks-GAA-Club/478109585582413?fref=nf

ALL-IRELAND CLUB FINAL - The club are organising a supporters bus for 17th March. Contact Noreen Malone (087-0539828) for full details + prices. Please note that U12's or younger children (wanting to go on the bus) must be accompanied by at least one of their parents / guardian or an adult. The bus organisers will not take unaccompanied children.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thanks city at,I will call Noreen tomorrow. Hope they're not just travelling from Ballyhale.
    Odyssey

Thanks city at,I will call Noreen tomorrow. Hope they're not just travelling from Ballyhale.
    Odyssey

You're welcome. Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

JJ like Henry was played out of position in 2001. I couldn't believe it at the time and it cost us dearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Well done to St Kieran's collage, looks to be some good prospects on this team, is Darren Mullen still injured? I presume he is still a pupil there

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

unrealtime wrote: »
    JJ like Henry was played out of position in 2001. I couldn't believe it at the time and it cost us dearly.

to be fair shefflin had played corner forward in both 1999 and 2000 while that was jj's first year on the senior panel (bear in mind he was only just out of minor) so im not really sure how you could have been so surprised at the time?

Kkboy wrote: »

is Darren Mullen still injured? I presume he is still a pupil there

Yes to both of those questions.

Kkboy wrote: »
    Well done to St Kieran's collage, looks to be some good prospects on this team, is Darren Mullen still injured? I presume he is still a pupil there

1-14 to 1-6. Kierans shot 16 wides. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Who do Kieran's play in the semi? I've heard the two munster teams are good. What's the Galway team like this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

I see congress brought in the one on one penalty rule!! Liam sheedy must have a lot of clout in the gaa. Anything to disrupt kk I think!!

What's ye're thoughts on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

pat 22 wrote: »
    I see congress brought in the one on one penalty rule!! Liam sheedy must have a lot of clout in the gaa. Anything to disrupt kk I think!!

How does that disrupt KK?

I think it's a good rule tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Fireball07 wrote: »
    How does that disrupt KK?

I think it's a good rule tbh.
    nothing disrupts KK ;)

Don't see how this'll disrupt us more than any other county. I'd say TJ is happy anyway.
    On the rule change, I think the pendulum has swung too far to the attack. I think two on goal would be fair enough on both sides.

• Advertisement

My thoughts are that it's a good thing to be brought in.

I'm interested to hear why you think it disrupts KK?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement