Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

We really do seem to love our steinharts :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Said I'd post this with the titanium bracelet as seen as there is only one on the web site. Torn between the stainless and the black as the better combination.

Hi

What model is that one

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Hi

What model is that one

Apollon Chronograph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Apollon Chronograph

Been lurking here a long while to get ideas on a watch for myself and actually had that same one in mind but not 100% sure. Anything to note if I do get it or something similar you'd recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Q&D iphone pic of my new arrival. I won't be able to resist getting the DSLR out later - its a little stunner :-

ic31x2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Q&D iphone pic of my new arrival. I won't be able to resist getting the DSLR out later - its a little stunner :-

ic31x2.jpg

Yup dying to see some good quality shots of it. The only time I get to use my DSLR these days is when I get a new timepiece :o well wear!

Can't find the bloody camera !

However, the light was very good on the roof of my building and the trusty iphone came good for some decent shots. When I look at this watch I 'get' what the japanese design aesthetic invovles. Much like my Marinemaster, you take the essential function that you want the 'thing' to perform, you excise every unnecessary component that doesn't produce towards achieving that function, and then you refine every remaining component to the highest degree possible so as to end up with something, well, wonderful really.

I'll let you guys judge :-

el43nr.jpg

6hjgig.jpg

bdsht5.jpg

edit : argh..then you spout a lot of flowery nonsense and take the pics upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

**SNIP** Please no quoting photos. Makes scrolling a pain in the bottom :)

I love Seiko in general...but man that is a nice watch.....maybe someday;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,201 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That GS is a beauty, really lovely :)

• Advertisement

Thanks men.

A couple of wrist shots and I'm done until I can find the proper camera :-

2ivmwk8.jpg

16ay9e1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Very elegant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That is a beautiful watch. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Yet to handle a Grand Seiko in the flesh however that looks stunning. Where did you get this one from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thanks men.

A couple of wrist shots and I'm done until I can find the proper camera :-

That's very smart and subtle.

Has that the Spring Drive movement? Recently handled one of them for the first time, the glide of the seconds hand is mesmerising. Fantastic piece of engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

pawrick wrote: »
    Been lurking here a long while to get ideas on a watch for myself and actually had that same one in mind but not 100% sure. Anything to note if I do get it or something similar you'd recommend?

Check the bracelet/strap screws to make sure they're tight, lost two after only two weeks wear, they are sending replacements foc (fair play) after a quick email.
    I also like this
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Aviation-Chronograph,440.html
    was interested in this before the chrono version came
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/APOLLON-automatic,453.html

I was lucky one of my collegues had this, so I got to see the case in the flesh, this put me onto the Apollon, but I was holding off as I had just bought a Sinn, when the Apollon Chrono came out had to have it.
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/PROTEUS-Limited-Editon,326.html

• Advertisement

Sunster wrote: »
    Yet to handle a Grand Seiko in the flesh however that looks stunning. Where did you get this one from?

Thanks - I got it from Arizona Fine Time. They don't export Grand Seiko but my fiancee was in the states and we were able to arrange shipping to her hotel. Excellent service from Joe in AZFT and he beat the price of all of the recognised suppliers of JDM watches. He was quite adamant however that he can't export, under the terms of whatever service contract he has with Seiko.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's very smart and subtle.

Has that the Spring Drive movement? Recently handled one of them for the first time, the glide of the seconds hand is mesmerising. Fantastic piece of engineering.

Cheers. This is in fact a quartz. Seiko 9F calibre - this is what its innards look like :-

i6z68p.jpg

Thermocompensated vacuum sealed quartz, rated to plus/minus 10 seconds per year and should not need servicing for 50 years.

So, in terms of the second hand sweep, well, its kind of the opposite of that :pac:

What I can say about the second hand is that the 'tick' is actually quite mesmerising. I've seen some heavily slowed down footage of the 9F calibre which shows that in fact the second hand makes two motions per second. You can't pick that up with the naked eye, but it makes it look like quite a heavy, deliberate and precise 'tick'.

It looks to be a pretty much perfect dress watch. I have a black leather GS strap and deployant on order and in the meantime I have a spare black croco that I can get it on but the whole package even on the bracelet is still very discrete - I'd be happy to wear it with formal dress as is.

I've been comparing it under a x10 Loupe to my other watches - and it is not a comfortable experience for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Am I the only one who can't see any pic of the GS? :(

They're working fine today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Check the bracelet/strap screws to make sure they're tight, lost two after only two weeks wear, they are sending replacements foc (fair play) after a quick email.

thanks for the very useful info - been looking at seikos mostly but this one caught my eye as something a little different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Today I'm wearing....

WP_000188%20%28Large%29.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

199434.jpgHeres a picture of my Omega seamaster Planet Ocean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Got this delivered this morning.
    Wasn't entirely sure on the colour when ordering but I'm really happy with it,looks great. :)

199886.png

Fullsize:
    http://i.pgu.me/M2VGKvkL_original.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry cambo2008, had to take the image tags from your huuuuge photo, but the link is there anyway. Nice watch :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sorry cambo2008, had to take the image tags from your huuuuge photo, but the link is there anyway. Nice watch :)
    Woah!! Sorry used an iPhone app to upload,no resize option :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As I said ... I was on holidays :D

199894.JPG
    199896.JPG
    199895.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

First time poster in this section, I normally hang out in the motors forum. Anyway, here are a few pictures of my Omega.

It is a 1962 "Pie-Pan" Constellation. Stainless steel 167.005 case with Cal 551 non-date movement.

DSCF3911.JPG

DSCF3907.JPG

DSCF3909.JPG

DSCF3913.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH You had me at 1962... :)Damn that's a lovely dial GD.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Thanks Wibbs, in my (probably biased) opinion they are the nicest dial Omega ever produced.

I have recently been thinking of doubling my collection, I would love an old bumper automatic Omega but finding the right one is proving difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you ever wish to part with the Pie Pan let me know. :D Gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

What strasp/bracelet is that please and do you have any pictures that include the clasp/buckle?

199895.JPG[/QUOTE]

What strasp/bracelet is that please and do you have any pictures that include the clasp/buckle?

Thats a generic diver type bracelet, rubber/silicone with a cheap but functional stainless steel safety clasp. Available in black, blue or white on the bay for 12.50 ish from different sellers.

I had it on a blue 18 mm one first, but that looked a bit weedy. So now it's on the black 20 mm, slightly notched so that it fits between the 18 mm lugs

• Advertisement

Latest addition ...Vostok Komandirskie (brass, no watertightness rating) ...kitsch as kitsch can :D

Sunrise - sunset ...you decide which side is which

200230.jpg
    200231.jpg
    200232.jpg

@CarltonBrowne
    That's the blue 18mm bracelet recycled

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

A 70's mechanical Pobeda

IMAG0325.jpgIMAG0326.jpgIMAG0327.jpgIMAG0328.jpg

The face is slightly off kilter but for the thirty odd sheets laid out for it it's not a bad addition to my meagre watch collection.

I fully expect (and deserve) to get flamed for this - but I bought an Alpha homage to the Omega Seamaster.

In fact, it's pretty much a rip-off, not even a homage.

90763511.jpg

I've only had it for a few days so far, and for all I know it might fall to pieces very shortly. But so far, I like it and now I know that I'd like a real Seamaster, though it'd have to be the 44mm one, not a 40mm one.

The second hand seems to glide quite nicely - really the only thing I can fault it on is the bezel feels very cheap when it's moved. The strap feels quite nicely made etc.

Like I said, I know it's a rip off, but after getting a Tag Heuer that I thought I'd like and shifting it very quickly when I found out I didn;t, I think this is a good way of trying a style out to see if it's worth saving up for. Worst case, I'm out 70.

Think the only 44m sea masters are chronos Eoin or the 45 mm planet ocean

Cyrus wrote: »
    Think the only 44m sea masters are chronos Eoin or the 45 mm planet ocean

I'll have to do some more research clearly! Or maybe just try and get used to 40mm watches

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

My first post in the watch forum. Received one of these about a week ago. Very happy with it.

Seiko-5-Military-Automatic-Watch-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

T0mmyM wrote: »
    My first post in the watch forum. Received one of these about a week ago. Very happy with it.
    Welcome to the forum, great choice

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Thanks for the welcome MiCr0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

What I'm wearing today

SpjX8.jpg

The back

dZCAG.jpg

and a wristshot

0ORYl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

these two arrived on friday morning as i was about to go to hospital for a blood test, well something went ascrew which meant that i was detained until today, i have just un packed them so here they are, a rather nice pocket watch, the case is oval shape unlike most pocket watch cases, flawless dial and crystal, it is a private label longines circa 1902, the other a rather blingy tag, all 18ct plated, actually the deployment is heavy.

I was thinking of getting a pocket watch myself. Either Zenith or Longines, but defo more on the Longines side. That's a beaut F. :)

I'd say the movement is nice. You were lucky with the dial. The enamel/porcelain dials tend to crack. They're described as delicate, but I don't think that's the issue. Just my humble they don't so much crack from dropping them or rough handling, but from watchmakers in their history over tightening the screws against the dial feet that hold the dials in. Of all the cracked ones I've personally handled, in every single case a hairline crack or actual damage came from this. IE the cracks ran from the dial feet. Handy trick though if you do have a dial with hairlines is to dunk the dial in false teeth cleaner. I kid thee not. :) It lifts the dirt right out and makes the cracks near invisible.

Thats a lovely watch

I am trying to understand the need for these....give your purchase and indeed Wibbs comments, just wondering why the drive to get one, you may just convince me

For me DT? Pocket watches are undervalued, both culturally and financially. The same movement in a wristwatch goes for at least double if not more. Practicality yea, but given that many people now use their phones as proxy pocket watches I'm thinking... Hmmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there any watch maker in Dublin who can work on a pocket watch? I know there is one in Galway but I'd rather meet the WM in person.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is there any watch maker in Dublin who can work on a pocket watch? I know there is one in Galway but I'd rather meet the WM in person.
    Depending on the watch obviously, but a watchmaker in blanchardstown shopping centre was looking at my Stowa and asked me if it was a 6497 inside, I said it was and he remarked that one was one of the movements he trained on and he even worked putting them together for a while. I know the 6497 was originally a pocket watch movement hence why I'm posting this, might at least be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Tudor Big Block
    DSC_0199.jpg

Wearing this today

NbZ1x.jpg

sSd2U.jpg

Just arrived one q&d better pics tmrw or Sunday

e4914644.jpg

Sunster wrote: »
    Tudor Big Block

Beautiful...

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just arrived one q&d better pics tmrw or Sunday

Cracker....What Model

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement