Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

I have nothing against the cork accent.

It's the people I hate. Hate them. Their heads are a different shape than other peoples as well, and they walk funny. And they get all the jobs. All the jobs. I could have been a brain surgeon if it wasn't for some cork fecker annoying me so much I never thought of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I've an incredibly neautral accent, mam from limerick, dad from cavan and i lived most of the past 15 years in either dublin or different spots in europe and latin america.

I do love a good Belfast accent on a girl though...

People from Meath should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,076 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thick country Irish accent - because for some reason, all it ever seems to be talking about is getting "d'oul dhrink ahn" and "pollin' gurrls".

An inner city Dublin one attempting rap. It just sounds... wrong.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I love women with a Donegal accent, tis a lovely accent. Though some American girls with that 'Valley Girl' accent as one poster put it, grates me to no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

FactCheck wrote: »
    But it's an incredibly useful word, that increases understanding and clarity! Most languages have a second person plural.

Someone who uses it is making themselves more clear. That's the whole purpose of language.

Do you look down on West Indians who say "allyuh", or black Americans saying "y'all", or is your contempt reserved solely for Irish people who are slightly different to you?

I think you're taking me a bit too seriously, I didn't say anything about having contempt for people who are slightly different to me?
    I also didn't say I look down on them - I just despise the word, in my opinion it makes the user sound stupid. If someone said it to me in an English accent I would hold the same opinion.

I don't 'look down' on West Indians who say "allyuh", or black Americans saying "y'all" because they are not saying Ye. If they did say Ye, I would think they sounded stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I really dislike the cork/Kerry/Limerick/Waterford/Clare accent.
    It's like a cheese grater on my ear drums. That said, I feel a little bit sad when people's toom theyre ashamed of their parents
    HEY! The Clare accent tis lovely g'way! In fact, like Galway I honestly didn't think Clare had an accent, except for West Clare. I love that accent though I find it really relaxing. Love the Connemara accent too :D I suppose it would be the Limerick and Cork accents I would find most irritating. I'm not a fan of that high pitched tone at the end of very sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I don't have an accent, this is just how things are pronounced correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

I think you're taking me a bit too seriously, I didn't say anything about having contempt for people who are slightly different to me?
    I also didn't say I look down on them - I just despise the word, in my opinion it makes the user sound stupid. If someone said it to me in an English accent I would hold the same opinion.

I don't 'look down' on West Indians who say "allyuh", or black Americans saying "y'all" because they are not saying Ye. If they did say Ye, I would think they sounded stupid.

Oh I am definitely taking it all too seriously :pac: :D

But why do they sound "stupid" when they are conveying information to you more clearly and succinctly than they otherwise would? Where did you pick up the notion that a dialect with a plural you is stupid? When it is plainly the opposite? It's just a cultural prejudice, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I've an incredibly neautral accent, mam from limerick, dad from cavan and i lived most of the past 15 years in either dublin or different spots in europe and latin america.

I do love a good Belfast accent on a girl though...

People from Meath should be put down.

Accent is only one of several reasons why Meath children should be drowned at birth

• Advertisement

FactCheck wrote: »
    Oh I am definitely taking it all too seriously :pac: :D

But why do they sound "stupid" when they are conveying information to you more clearly and succinctly than they otherwise would? Where did you pick up the notion that a dialect with a plural you is stupid? When it is plainly the opposite? It's just a cultural prejudice, right?

Oh dear Lord you are looking into this way too much.
    I can't really put into detail why it sounds stupid to me, it just does!
    I am not saying the people using the word are stupid - just that to my ear, it sounds like they are.

Cultural prejudice...kind of the whole point of the thread really, lots of people have named particular accents that drive them insane yet I am being jumped on for naming one particular word? Which I have stated would annoy me even in my own accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I cannot abide the Northern Ireland accent.
    So much so that I refuse to watch UTV. I always watch ITV and if someone has switched UTV on, I instantly switch it over.
    Cannot stand it.

If there was ever an accent that represented doom and gloom, it's the Nordie one.
    Even the ads they show on UTV; it's all PowerPoint-style 10 second rushed ads advertising The Spinning Wheel or some God-forsaken market on in Newry.
    Ugh.
    Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the slogan of boards was for years(and I think still is?) "Boards.ie, now ye're talkin'"

Bazzo wrote: »
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the slogan of boards was for years(and I think still is?) "Boards.ie, now ye're talkin'"

Hahaha you're right!
    And it bugs me! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Accent is only one of several reasons why Meath children should be drowned at birth

Nearly choked on my tea reading this. Jesus!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Pedro K wrote: »
    The D4 accent.

No such thing as a "D4 accent". Only silly people who think that the middle class Dublin accent is located primarily in Dublin 4.

Which is nonsense!!!!

Some of the worst purveyors of that "Dane Tane on the Dort" accent are northsiders.

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

No such thing as a "D4 accent". Only silly people who think that the middle class Dublin accent is located primarily in Dublin 4.

Which is nonsense!!!!

Some of the worst purveyors of that "Dane Tane on the Dort" accent are northsiders.

Fact.

Given the tendency of a lot of Dubliners to see the rest of the population of the country as one homogenous culchie mass, I don't shed too many tears over the little fit of identity politics they suddenly get whenever the words "D4 accent" are uttered.

I don't shed too many tears over the little fit of identity politics they suddenly get whenever the words "D4 accent" are uttered.

So you don't mind being WRONG then?

So you don't mind being WRONG then?

M'eh, if literally means figuratively and gay means homosexual I'm pretty comfortable using the widely understood word for "upper middle class Dublin accent" when that's what I'm talking about :P What a time to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

South African accent makes my skin crawl, can't explain it. The accent midway between howya and D4 is very sexy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

fussyonion wrote: »
    I cannot abide the Northern Ireland accent.
    So much so that I refuse to watch UTV. I always watch ITV and if someone has switched UTV on, I instantly switch it over.
    Cannot stand it.

If there was ever an accent that represented doom and gloom, it's the Nordie one.
    Even the ads they show on UTV; it's all PowerPoint-style 10 second rushed ads advertising The Spinning Wheel or some God-forsaken market on in Newry.
    Ugh.
    Hate it.

M'eh, if literally means figuratively and gay means homosexual I'm pretty comfortable using the widely understood word for "upper middle class Dublin accent" when that's what I'm talking about :P What a time to be alive!

That's a YES then.

And I don't ever recall anybody saying "literally" as a synonym for "figuratively".

But then, as established: You like being wrong :)

That's a YES then.

And I don't ever recall anybody saying "literally" as a synonym for "figuratively".

But then, as established: You like being wrong :)

Yeah, you've never heard people saying things like "I'm literally starving" "I am going to literally kill him"? It's literally gone into the dictionary as meaning figuratively.

Also my first post in this thread says I know that the D4 accent is not an offence against the ears committed exclusively by people from D4. Did you just get as far the D4 post and then have to make the point (never in the history of the internet made before of course) that it's like, oh my gawd, so not even people from D4 who talk like that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

People who think you have to have a howya accent to be a dub confuse me :confused: I have the neutral Dublin accent, not the howya nor the D4 (which as several people have pointed out isn't heard much in D4 itself in my experience), and it's very very common. Yet often when I meet someone from outside Dublin I get asked where I'm from and then told that I can't be a dub because I don't sound like a skanger. Em, thanks?

I do fall into the trap sometimes of thinking that people with a howya or American valley girl accent are dim, but I've been proven wrong so often that I actively endeavour to check my preconceptions of people based on how they speak. Some of the most well-spoken guys I know are thick as bricks :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I don't get bothered by accents too much. My own is pretty intolerable to begin with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

People who think you have to have a howya accent to be a dub confuse me :confused: I have the neutral Dublin accent, not the howya nor the D4 (which as several people have pointed out isn't heard much in D4 itself in my experience), and it's very very common. Yet often when I meet someone from outside Dublin I get asked where I'm from and then told that I can't be a dub because I don't sound like a skanger. Em, thanks?

I also have that ridiculously neutral in-between Dublin accent that foreigners can't even identify as being Irish.

Had the Aussies fierce confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

There was prejudice to accents in the letters page of Metro Herald published in Dublin. I believe a slightly different edition of the Metro Herald may have been published in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Any accent that makes all statements seem like a question.
    They're all from Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.

You hired a dude for his accent over his qualifications? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I've a soft spot for a Belfast accent in a woman. Just the normal one, not the ones at either extreme of the social scale.

Advertisement