Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night 53 - Nelson vs Story

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    How do you know it's natural talent and they haven't just put in the required work?

I'm not denying the role genetics plays in sport. Or the fact that some people just move better in certain ways. But I also think talk if natural ability really undermines the sheer volume of work out in to get to that level.

I think all of the above athletes have "it" plus they put in the work behind the scenes too obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

How do you know it's natural talent and they haven't just put in the required work?

I'm not denying the role genetics plays in sport. Or the fact that some people just move better in certain ways. But I also think talk if natural ability really undermines the sheer volume of work out in to get to that level.

Not everyone is born with sledgehammer fists and one punch KO power though. Those who are born with it have a huge advantage in mma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Genetics/natural talent,

At a count in 2012, out of 83 guys that have ran under 10 seconds only 1 has been white. Do you really think the black guys are working harder? Natural talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Not everyone is born with sledgehammer fists and one punch KO power though. Those who are born with it have a huge advantage in mma.

You can get a heck of a long way with practice, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Tobyglen wrote: »
    out of 83 guys that have ran under 10 seconds only 1 has been white.

Really? I'm white and I can run under 10 seconds.

• Advertisement

Really? I'm white and I can run under 10 seconds.

In 100metres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    In 100metres?

Ah well, you're changing the rules now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Genetics/natural talent,

At a count in 2012, out of 83 guys that have ran under 10 seconds only 1 has been white. Do you really think the black guys are working harder? Natural talent.
    I never said genetics don't play a part. We are talking about skills such as grappling and boxing.

The power and fast twitch muscle fibres required to run that fast is genetics, it's not a skill or a "talent". While I wouldn't be as ignorant to say there's no skill in running, it's a much more primal movement than boxing (what we are actually talking about).

To put it another way, hypothetically, transplant Usain Bolts brain into a random persons head. There would be nothing special about their 100m sprint.
    Do the same with Mayweathers brain, they won't be the best in the world, but I bet they be a pretty handy boxer.

And, before somebody misses the point again, there are genetic abilities that play a part in top level boxing too. The elite still have these natural advantages - speed, power, stamina, etc. Band that's what separates them from the rest. But fundamentally, the skills of boxing are learned abilities, ingrained over countless hours.
    Cathal has poor striking but he's an athletic guy, it's not his weakness because he lacks some genetic ability. At this point he is firmly in the range where technique is failing him. Technique can always be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

JK must be watching a different fight to me. He's just told gunni to do the same thing he's been doing because story is losing the decision.

Terrible corner work

I watched the fight again last night. I'm no expert but even I knew Nelson was losing. Surprised more was not said about this advice. The advice he should have been giving was: "You are losing, you have to knock him out/submit him". If I was Nelson I would be a bit pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I watched the fight again last night. I'm no expert but even I knew Nelson was losing. Surprised more was not said about this advice. The advice he should have been giving was: "You are losing, you have to knock him out/submit him". If I was Nelson I would be a bit pissed off.
    I'd like to think that John knew he was losing too. I assumed "keep doing what you are doing" meant "stay calm, takedown if the opening comes, submission". As that was clearly Gunnar's plan of attack throughout.

Regardless of Johns comments. Gunnar obviously knew he lost the 4th. He even if he thought he was 3-1 up, he surely would rather the sub. John's comments were to facilitate this rather than what he actually believed to be true, imo of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Going back to Pendred's striking: while it will never be up there with the best strikers/boxers in the division, I definitely saw improvements in Stockholm from his last fight and TUF. If he keeps working on it, it will improve. He really needs to stop wading in with a lead uppercut throwing himself completely off balance though. He's a fantastic athlete, has great stamina, and is a beast strength-wise at WW, all of which will serve him well. If he can bring his striking offense and defense up to scratch over the next year or so he will be a problem for a lot of guys in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ian Whelan wrote: »

Different fighters prefer different coaching methods and a good coach knows how to handle each of his fighters. Some like to get back to the corner and be reassured/calmed down and some need to go back and get a kick up the ass.

In my view Gunni is no fool and was matching Story quite well until that knockdown in the 2nd or 3rd (can't remember exactly). I think he spent the rest of the fight trying to shake it off.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hard work will get you a long way.

Natural talent will get you a long way too.

To get to the very top of any sport you generally need both because that's what you will be up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

I'd like to think that John knew he was losing too. I assumed "keep doing what you are doing" meant "stay calm, takedown if the opening comes, submission"

That's bs IMO.

Don't know why people feel the need to cover up his mistake. It doesn't make him a bad coach as it's much harder to judge the fight objectively ringside as opposed to on tv.

Gunni is the most relaxed and calm fighter probably in all of mma.
    John kavanagh knows that if he tells him he is losing that he is not going to freak out or let it affect him in any way so there would be no reason to say it if he didn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

But I also think talk if natural ability really undermines the sheer volume of work out in to get to that level.
    But it doesn't.
    You don't hear this argument during the Olympics, it's accepted that everyone there is very talented and worked their balls off to get there.

I think the fact that it's a dirty word in coaching circles is either due to coaches managing their athletes psychology so as not to give them an easy way out (fair enough IMO).
    Or the coaches think they won't get enough credit.

Henry9 wrote: »
    But it doesn't.
    You don't hear this argument during the Olympics, it's accepted that everyone there is very talented and worked their balls off to get there.

I think the fact that it's a dirty word in coaching circles is either due to coaches managing their athletes psychology so as not to give them an easy way out (fair enough IMO).
    Or the coaches think they won't get enough credit.

I'd say usain bolt is something special

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

DeVore wrote: »
    Something very odd happens around the 10,000 hours of practise mark where the routine (be it piano playing to wood turning) goes from conscious thought at some level, to sub conscious routine. (There's a very good book about this topic called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell).
    Nothing 'very odd' happens at the 10,000 hour mark.

10,000 hours is just 10 years full time training. Athletes in technical sports would be training 4 or 5 hours a day from their early teens, so all it means is someone of that standard at age 25 has been training away for ten years. The ones who didn't make it to that level jacked it in earlier, so don't have that many hours.

That's not even what Gladwell said anyway.

http://gladwell.com/complexity-and-the-ten-thousand-hour-rule/

He clarifies:

achievement is talent plus preparation

He has talent by the truckload,” I wrote of Joy. “But that’s not the only consideration. It never is.

The point of Simon and Chase’s paper years ago was that cognitively complex activities take many years to master because they require that a very long list of situations and possibilities and scenarios be experienced and processed

You could argue about how 'cognitively demanding' MMA is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This is an excellent article on the amount of practice required to becoming an expert http://sportsscientists.com/2011/08/talent-training-and-performance-the-secrets-of-success/ it also deals with not only some of the flaws in the original study, but the interpretations of the study which have been spouted by Gladwell.

For anyone who wishes to read the original study you can find it here:http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/freakonomics/pdf/DeliberatePractice%28PsychologicalReview%29.pdf

More recent research tends to show that quantity of practice seems to account for ~1/3 of the difference in an individuals performance level.
    I suppose the main problem with research is we cannot possibly quantify the quality of training or practice. Undoubtedly that is every bit a factor (and probably more so) imo than the actual amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Big Ears wrote: »
    This is an excellent article on the amount of practice required to becoming an expert http://sportsscientists.com/2011/08/talent-training-and-performance-the-secrets-of-success/ it also deals with not only some of the flaws in the original study, but the interpretations of the study which have been spouted by Gladwell.

This is a brilliant article. The methodology in Ericsson's 10k hours paper always seemed unsound to me, but it's nice to see the problems laid out so clearly, and especially to see some well sourced counter-examples. The "go play outside" hypothesis is fairly interesting, and seems plausible enough. I guess it's kind of similar to gene-environment correlation, but I'm no expert on this.

There was a paper in Science recently on the influence of genes on students' exam results, and a version aimed at the public is available here https://theconversation.com/how-genes-can-influence-childrens-exam-results-32535.

One of the interesting things though is that in their conclusions, instead of saying "some kids are smart and some are thick", they emphasised that different people learn differently and you shouldn't try to shoe-horn them into a one size fits all model. Taking this to an MMA context, if someone is a strong grappler and for whatever reason their striking isn't stellar, it might not always be the best course to have them working more on their striking. (If this theory holds.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Story looked like a fighting dog. Cruelty etched over his face, kept locked up and worked hard but it all paying off in the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

califano wrote: »
    Story looked like a fighting dog. Cruelty etched over his face

Well he had a broken ankle, that'll take the smile off anyone's face.

https://twitter.com/Rick_Story/status/519643022183514112

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Predator?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Well he had a broken ankle, that'll take the smile off anyone's face.

Good job he isnt a horse.

Advertisement