Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"We can rebuild her!"

• 03-04-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

New log time. (Previous log and original log). Decided it was time for a new one given that my focus has had to radically change in the last few weeks - left ITB decided somewhere in Barcelona that it just didn't like me at all. After three and a half weeks completely off the road I've just started back with some very short runs and I'm doing lots of stretching and strengthening work. The purpose of this log is to document my recovery from injury and hopefully becoming stronger and less breakable at high mileage, and I hope to be able to destroy some of my shorter distance PBs later this year once I'm properly over this injury.

The basics: 26/female/bit too fond of chocolate

PBs:
    5k 24:04 (Jingle Bells 5k, December 2009)
    5 mile 40:13 (Raheny 5, January 2010)
    10k 52:22 (Women's Mini-Marathon, June 2010)
    10 mile 1:27:36 (first 10 miles of Dublin Half-Marathon, September 2010) (standalone 10M PB is not worth mentioning)
    HM: 1:55:55 (Waterford Half-Marathon, January 2011)
    Marathon: 3:59:00 (Marató Barcelona, March 2011)

Goals:
    - Recover from this injury (duh)
    - Sub-24 5k
    - Sub-40 5 mile
    - Sub-50 10k

For the record, I am almost 100% certain that I am NOT doing Dublin this year. Get strong first, then think about more marathons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great long term vision.

New log, new greatness achieved by RK? Most surely.

New log, less smut? Doubtful.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the new goals, the recovery and the new log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Excellent! You've made recovery sound exciting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

For the record, I am almost 100% certain that I am NOT doing Dublin this year. Get strong first, then think about more marathons.

Yeah right, i'll bet you whatever you got that you'll be doing it. You'll be back to normal in a month or 2 and aiming towards it from July i reckon. The brain has a funny way of forgetting pain i have found.

Best of luck with the recovery and the log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good job that you got the big Marathon goal out of the way first so!!

Best of luck with the fast stuff goals. CF will be happy (he is the opposite of Jerry Kiernan, he think everyone should 'move down' :P.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yeah right, i'll bet you whatever you got that you'll be doing it. You'll be back to normal in a month or 2 and aiming towards it from July i reckon.
    We'll see :pac:

I'm actually tempted to target Waterford as a goal race and see just what I can do if I trained specifically for a half...
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the fast stuff goals. CF will be happy (he is the opposite of Jerry Kiernan, he think everyone should 'move down' :P.)

He wants me doing speedwork as soon as I can run for 20 minutes pain free... bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the recovery and the new goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Good luck with the new log and keeping in on the subject ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new log and new goals. Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hey, you've already achieved your big marathon goal for the year, you don't need to do another one! You should be able to smash those PBs if you embrace the pain of speedwork - and take a good 15 minutes off that half time if you do Waterford.

RayCun wrote: »
    and take a good 15 minutes off that half time if you do Waterford.

Me run 1:40? Bahahahahahahahahaha, not gonna happen any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I didn't say soon, I said in Waterford. That's more than six months away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with everything. I've no doubt but that you will smash those PBs and be back to full fitness soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck with the new log. Unfortunately, MrSlow has already found it and I'm sure Digger wont be too far behind, then the whole thing goes downhill with double entendres and innuendo....:rolleyes:

Hope you get back to 100% soon.

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log. Unfortunately, MrSlow has already found it and I'm sure Digger wont be too far behind, then the whole thing goes downhill with double entendres and innuendo....:rolleyes:

Hope you get back to 100% soon.

I resent the implication that I'm as bad as him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

mrslow wrote: »
    I resent the implication that I'm as bad as him :rolleyes:

And so you should :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

This'll be the log we can send people to, who have to climb back out of the injury pit. There's enough self-congratulatory whingefests on here already (we know who we are:rolleyes:) - this'll be the uplift log.

Best of luck with the ITB and the log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Go RK......Sub 20 5K

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Go RK......Sub 20 5K

Not gonna happen. I'll never have that sort of speed. Sub-22 maybe... eventually... but not sub-20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Not gonna happen. I'll never have that sort of speed. Sub-22 maybe... eventually... but not sub-20.

Well, Sub 22 would indicate really good speed in the legs!

What a load of rubbish :rolleyes:, you've never trained for speed, when you're back in action you'll be amazed at the difference a few months of threshold and interval work will make.

We'll have no more of this 'can't' talk - OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Best of luck with the recovery and the new log!

Ive never met you but you have inspired me constantly over the last 12 months, and I have no doubt you will continue to do so.

Wishing you a fast recovery....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Good luck, if you really have to ease off the marathon distance, it is a great idea to have good targets for the shorter distances.

You can knock lumps off those PBs this year.

And finally, some running. 10 minute walk, 12 minute run, 13 minute walk - 5.03km in a little over 35 minutes. No pain from the injury site (WOOHOO!), run segment was at 8.52/mile pace. Annoying as it is for my runs to be that short, I have to keep telling myself that it's therapy rather than training. Have to teach that ITB to work properly again, and if I do too much too soon I'll break myself again.

Miss my Wave Inspires though (even though they were part of the problem), the Kayanos feel like I'm running with pillows under my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Excellent move setting up a new log like you did. You should earn a living out of motivation and finding silver linings. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Good luck with the recovery effort, hopefully you'll be on the mend sooner that expected.

Can only imagine how frustrating all the niggles must be but don't forget what you've achieved so far, I've a few friends who'd bite your hand off if you offered them that sub-4 marathon time!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Good luck with the new log and your recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Me run 1:40? Bahahahahahahahahaha, not gonna happen any time soon.

That was the old you remember your log title "we can rebuild her" before long you gonna be strong and faster. Couple of months consistent work and these targets will be an after thought

outforarun wrote: »
    Excellent move setting up a new log like you did. You should earn a living out of motivation and finding silver linings. Best of luck with your recovery.

Our very own Pollyanna.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 JinkyJ

Best of luck with your new goals RK....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Very best of luck with new log and recovery. Look forward to seeing how your progress goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

RK Best of luck.

Sub 50 10K is well within reach if you have a sub 4 marathon done. I know plenty of lads/ladies with 45-46 min 10ks and have failed on several attempts to break 4 hours.

As regards recovery, find a track and start running some laps backwards. Add it to your training schedule thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good luck with the new log
    Have to agree that sub 20 5k is in there
    I'm inclined to believe that real effective training could get most of us to 16 min or so (if we were at it 7days a week, 52 weeks a year for a long period of time) after that it's probably talent, plenty of room for us mere mortals before we reach our physical limits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I'm inclined to believe that real effective training could get most of us to 16 min or so !

Are people just going crazy now????

eliwallach wrote: »
    Are people just going crazy now????

The point I'm trying to make is that there is some time at which all of us talented or not can run- maybe its 17 minutes for 5km.... but ultimately most of us never get there because we have neither the time, the inclination nor the dedication to get there. After this point you need the genes and talent to add to the dedication.

In the little programme for the Dunboyne 4mile a few weeks back there was a short piece on the Chairman of Dunboyne AC who only started running a few years ago in middle age, starting with the fit for life group. He's now running 25-26min for 5 miles.
    There's massive potential in us that we don't realise!

The point I'm trying to make is that there is some time at which all of us talented or not can run- maybe its 17 minutes for 5km.... but ultimately most of us never get there because we have neither the time, the inclination nor the dedication to get there. After this point you need the genes and talent to add to the dedication.

In the little programme for the Dunboyne 4mile a few weeks back there was a short piece on the Chairman of Dunboyne AC who only started running a few years ago in middle age, starting with the fit for life group. He's now running 25-26min for 5 miles.
    There's massive potential in us that we don't realise!

Have to agree with you here. If you approach training sensibly and are consistent there no reasons why the average runner is not capable of these by any means

ecoli wrote: »
    Have to agree with you here. If you approach training sensibly and are consistent there no reasons why the average runner is not capable of these by any means

That requires talent, which I lack. I was always the one who was last in the class at everything on sports day except the 800m, I'm naturally really slow. If I work hard I'll improve, but I can't ever see myself getting really fast.

After rejoicing at tonight's football scores (wins for Man U and Barca, **** yeah) I headed out for another short run. 9 minute walk, 14.5 minute run, just under 7 minute walk, run segment was at 8.47/mile pace but involved some sort of crazy hummingbird-like heart rate (I actually remembered the heart rate monitor strap tonight, I keep forgetting about it). Total of just under 3 miles covered. No pain from the ITB, felt something draggy over my knee but I'm not sure if that was my capris sitting awkwardly...

That requires talent, which I lack. I was always the one who was last in the class at everything on sports day except the 800m, I'm naturally really slow. If I work hard I'll improve, but I can't ever see myself getting really fast.

:eek::eek:
    Unbelievable negative self talk
    Really fast is largely subjective
    At the times most mortals are running talent has very little to do with it, I'd be staggered if you don't knock minutes and minutes off your 5k PB if you put your mind to it. Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

• Advertisement

It's straightforward logic J, you've never worked on raising your lactate threshold, once you do, you will be able to run faster, for longer.

Edit: (For those about to challenge) The above as a combination of other workouts VO2 etc, I'm giving the example of the effects of one aspect of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just saw your new log RK, good luck with it. Hope the ITB doesn't cause too many more problems and recovery is speedy - much like yourself!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:eek::eek:
    Unbelievable negative self talk
    Really fast is largely subjective
    At the times most mortals are running talent has very little to do with it, I'd be staggered if you don't knock minutes and minutes off your 5k PB if you put your mind to it. Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

+1, when i was in school I considered a 200m a long distance race. I was only good at 100m and Long Jump. I never thought i could perfrom at a longer distance and now I'm doing Ultras. Talent is only an excuse, hard work is the key to success.

Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

It was funny in the George Payne after the race listening to about 6 different people say "Oh we didn't *actually* think you could go sub-4" :pac:

(ye know who you are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

It was funny in the George Payne after the race listening to about 6 different people say "Oh we didn't *actually* think you could go sub-4" :pac:

(ye know who you are)

I was going 50/1 that you would the night before actually. I was thinking 50/50 over or under 4:15 tbh.

That sounds like a challenge:D The human body is capable of extraordinary things

Swimming tonight, did 50 lengths after work. Pretty relaxed, enjoyed that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just reading your new low RK. Sounds like a good approach and look forward to reading about the PBs falling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

(ye know who you are)

I was one of those but I meant it from a with all your injury setbacks point of view, I don't think you aim high enough at times :D

Gym today - upper body weights and lots of stretching, strengthening and core work, and my terrible attempts at some yoga poses. I've got a long way to go with this flexibility lark...

Got a nasty shock too when I realised I've put on 3kg since Barcelona. Diet starts Monday :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement