Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

lisar816 wrote: »
    Well at least it can be dropped in second year right? Its definitely the subject i will be dropping!

Yes but it depends. If you pick Computer Science in first year and want to do it in second year you have to do maths with it. If you hate computer science after first year and want to drop that you're still going to be left with maths in second year because you only drop one subject after first year (if that makes sense?), so pick your subjects wisely.
    Oh and don't write off maths straight away. There's so many people who weren't the best at maths at the beginning of first and are now keeping it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

No won't be doing computer science, just maths maths physics biology and chemistry

No won't be doing computer science, just maths maths physics biology and chemistry

Well in that case you're free to drop maths after first year if you wish. I'm interested as to why you're doing maths physics instead of experimental physics? If maths is not your strong point why are you choosing a subject heavily maths based? I did Experimental Physics not having done it for leaving cert and it was absolutely fine. I had no interest in physics but I have to admit some of it was actually really interesting especially the astronomy side of it. Anyway, your decision. I'm just curious.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Well in that case you're free to drop maths after first year if you wish. I'm interested as to why you're doing maths physics instead of experimental physics? If maths is not your strong point why are you choosing a subject heavily maths based? I did Experimental Physics not having done it for leaving cert and it was absolutely fine. I had no interest in physics but I have to admit some of it was actually really interesting especially the astronomy side of it. Anyway, your decision. I'm just curious.
    To many labs!!!!!!!!!

Same boat as me, I continued it into second year and did ok with it too.
    Great staff in that department.

• Advertisement

To many labs!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you that the labs are absolutely a breeze. The experimental physics department are easily one of the best departments. The labs are run so well and as soon as you're finished your experiment you're free to leave. Physics labs were the most enjoyable for me because they're so relaxed and actually fun :pac:

I have done a lot of them already but dont like the idea of having to do error analysis, but i will see how things go i know i have until october to chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Error analysis is simple, it's dividing the smallest possible measurement (e.g. millimetres for length, grammes for mass) by the smallest result. For example, if you're trying to measure the time it takes for a metal ball to fall 1 metre, and the stopwatch measures in increments of .01 seconds, if the smallest result is 0.49s, just do this:

(0.01/0.49)(100) = error%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

WOO ALL MOVED IN TO THE NEW PLACE. LIVING IN DUBLIN......YEAH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Can anyone recommend a daycent bank to join? Ideally one that provides a good overdraft...

I'd highly recommend AIB. I have a student account with them. Last week, my account showed transactions in the US and AIB called me really promptly to check if it was me. It wasn't as it turns out and within 6 days, all of the money had been refunded to me and they had issued a new card and PIN.

I don't currently have an overdraft facility but when I changed my account from current to student last year, they did offer me one so I guess it is something that you can have. There is also an AIB on-campus in the John Hume building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I just realised that most of my timetable will be empty due to a lack of labs and practicals. Damn. Anyone know when they usually schedule such fun-filled activities? I didn't have any last year so i'm completely clueless about the whole process!

Also, whilst on the topic, timetables, when are they usually made available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I just realised that most of my timetable will be empty due to a lack of labs and practicals. Damn. Anyone know when they usually schedule such fun-filled activities? I didn't have any last year so i'm completely clueless about the whole process!

I'd imagine they have most of the timetable sorted. But I don't think it would be certain until they see how many people sign up for each course.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I'd imagine they have most of the timetable sorted. But I don't think it would be certain until they see how many people sign up for each course.

Well it's 2nd Psychology, so I assume 45-60 people? Even though I know a lot of people who like me were in the pure psychology stream in 1st year and have dropped out because they didn't like it all. So with that in mind it could be even lower

In about 2/3 weeks. The website say they anticipate "mid-August" release.

In about 2/3 weeks. The website say they anticipate "mid-August" release.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

approach it differently how?

Jesus, PP. I've seemed to miss this question entirely. My apologies.

In case you're still curious.

One of the first things I'd so is get myself a 2013/2014 planner. I'd write down all important dates, time off. Then I'd write down every single piece of work I had to do for the week and when it was due. Use my free time to actually do something productive instead of sitting around doing feck all.
    Most importantly, I'd actually put in some effort/study. I breezed through all bar Maths and one Biology exam(bare in mind, I did sweet feck all for this.) with almost zero engagement and I just feel it took from the whole College learning experience. I'd also do my assignments over the week allotted and not the bloody night before. That was one of my biggest mistakes. So basically I'd just manage my time and be productive. Instead of ghosting lecture to lecture.

marko93 wrote: »
    Jesus, PP. I've seemed to miss this question entirely. My apologies.

In case you're still curious.

One of the first things I'd so is get myself a 2013/2014 planner. I'd write down all important dates, time off. Then I'd write down every single piece of work I had to do for the week and when it was due. Use my free time to actually do something productive instead of sitting around doing feck all.
    Most importantly, I'd actually put in some effort/study. I breezed through all bar Maths and one Biology exam(bare in mind, I did sweet feck all for this.) with almost zero engagement and I just feel it took from the whole College learning experience. I'd also do my assignments over the week allotted and not the bloody night before. That was one of my biggest mistakes. So basically I'd just manage my time and be productive. Instead of ghosting lecture to lecture.

Agree with all of this. Particulary the Day-planner. Really, as 1st years, the chances are you won't have a feckin' clue what you're doing and what you're supposed to be doing most of the time. I know I was dazed at the prospect of organising my own notes, lecture materials and readings. If you're doing a BA or any Social Science course, my advice would be to do your readings. I never did any, and often had to give presentations as a group where I just copied what everyone else had said because I didn't bother doing my readings.

Secondly what i'd suggest is (and this may seems particularly simplistic), is go to every prescribe class/tutorial/lecture. I'm studying Psychology and took it with English and Sociology this year so I hadn't a lot of mandatory classes (or any at all actually), so as a result I often found myself saying 'arah sure I can miss this lecture, I don't really need to go to it'. This is a terrible mistake and an unbelievably difficult habit to break. You feel that there is not much point going to the lecture that you missed another time until you catch up with what you missed, and it is an endless circle of laziness to be honest. I managed to do fairly well despite not going to many lectures due to the fact that i've a pretty good memory for cramming information last minute, but honestly, the exam sessions this year were absolutely atrocious for me. I felt so unprepared (Which I was, I just got very lucky in every exam) and when you realise that if you fail an exam you have to fork out 60e and study over the Summer, it's horrible to realise that you haven't put enough work into the semester to do well.

Thirdly, be organised. I'm awful, and had no sense of organisation at all this year and it really shows when you're panicking last minute about exams. I realised that my sparsely taken notes were all over the place the night before exams and had to return to moodle and make out new notes all night before an exam. This is stress you do not need to experience. Have specific notebooks for each module/subject, keep them organised and easy to read and understand when it comes around to exam time and you will fly through.

Does anyone know the set up regarding Froebel students coming to Maynooth in September? I hope they wont be located in Education House because that's primarily where I'm located and even with just Science Ed and Postgrads there it's pretty cramped. I genuinely don't think the building will be able to handle another 100+ students?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I believe Froebel will be located in Rye Hall for the time being.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

Ouch for them...

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Ouch for them...

Yeah, not the most ideal place for them but it's better than what Ed house would be like with 200+ people every day.

Does anyone know the set up regarding Froebel students coming to Maynooth in September? I hope they wont be located in Education House because that's primarily where I'm located and even with just Science Ed and Postgrads there it's pretty cramped. I genuinely don't think the building will be able to handle another 100+ students?

AFAIK Boeing, we're moving up there too (to education house) :L LOL you have to deal with Psychologists SUCKS TO BE YE :pac:

AFAIK Boeing, we're moving up there too (to education house) :L LOL you have to deal with Psychologists SUCKS TO BE YE :pac:

Eh why? :confused::pac: I hope your department realise that there's a grand total of 2 lecture halls in Ed house that are very frequently in use by Science Ed. The playback rooms are also very frequently in use along with the computer room. So, em, enjoy David! ;)

Eh why? :confused::pac: I hope your department realise that there's a grand total of 2 lecture halls in Ed house that are very frequently in use by Science Ed. The playback rooms are also very frequently in use along with the computer room. So, em, enjoy David! ;)

I have no idea! We're in the Education Lecture Theatre for PS202 (Child Learning and Language Development) so that's 3 times a week :cool: Unless they change the timetable venues, but I doubt they will. There was 70 I think in 2nd Psych last year and I know for a fact there's a lot less this year (about 45ish) so I don't know what they're doing to be fair

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There will always be one or two odd (i.e. non related to the building) lectures in ED house. I've been in there for a couple of modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I'm sure they know who is using the rooms already! They are renovating sections of Rye Hall at the moment before the term starts for the new Froebel students

Lads i'm tearing my hair out sitting at home doing nothing, I WANT TO LEARN DAMMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Lads i'm tearing my hair out sitting at home doing nothing, I WANT TO LEARN DAMMIT

Are there not any books in your house?:rolleyes:

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Are there not any books in your house?:rolleyes:

*Jamaican vibe*

Why da negativity and sarcastic hurtful emoticon mon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

*Jamaican vibe*

Why da negativity and sarcastic hurtful emoticon mon?

... and tearing ya dreads out isn't negative, mon?:)

Advertisement