Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Bobsammy wrote: »
    It'll give you a pretty good idea, my sister started science six years after I did and our first year timetables were practically identical.
    so would you have a day off or is that for labs?

lisar816 wrote: »

Most likely won't have a day off, I know plenty of people that did but it's pretty rare in most subject combos (especially if you pick a lot of lab subjects).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

If you pick your labs a certain way you could have a day off but not everyone can and it depends on your subject combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

First years usually just have a Biology lab on Friday, so it'll be a short day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

For a day off you need one of the Physics(can't remember which one, maybe MP?) as a subject, that way the other two labs can be slotted on a thursday. Monday-Wednesday was 9-5, Monday have 1 hour gaps after every lecture. Tuesday with just one hour break and Wednesday was like a half day(not for me, stupid Chemistry tutorial >_> ). Some courses may also help in having a day off, Bio-Med for example. Several of my friends had Thursday off, but for GScience, don't get your hopes up.

On a different note, repeating is not fun. I felt awful sleeping past 9 this morning. I've so much to do, but I am making progress.

• Advertisement

i'm going to be doing biology chemistry maths and maths physics. Not going to do experimental physics because of more labs and its really the chemistry and biology I definitely want to do.
    But it seem like the hours are not that much which is good, not looking forward to lab write ups its something I hate doing but will hopefully get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I did Biology, Chemistry, Experimental Physics and Maths in first year and had Friday off. I had Physics labs on a Tuesday afternoon, Chemistry labs on Thursday morning and Biology labs on Thursday afternoon. As you can imagine, Thursdays weren't the nicest of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

There's 4 slots for 1st year biology labs, Thursday and Friday 10-1 & 2-5. What day you have depends on your last name and whether your doing Biology through science or arts.

From what I can remember, there's no write ups in 1st year but some of the labs are VERY tedious. (If I never have to draw another dead chordate it'll be too soon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I had triple constitutional and admin law on Fridays in first year! I had felt sorry for you but not anymore!

*grumble* Kids these days don't know how well they have it. Back in my day... *grumble*

EDIT: I must correct myself. It was a double but time went by so slowly it could feel like a quadruple sometimes! The BBLs however did have a triple business before having to suffer the double. ALL on a Fri morning!
    Okay thats way worse than admin at 10 law tutorial at 11 and eu at 1 on friday..

ODEs is making me cry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I never had days off in 1st year, but instead had ****ty days of maybe 2-3 hours. So I took a lot of unscheduled days off for days I hated my modules in

(# because i'm worth it)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Seeing all the freshers getting excited to come here is making me happy but a little sad. I wish I was a fresher again :( Dat feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^I agree.
    I think I said it before somewhere, but I really love the start of the year, seeing everyone filled with optimism and all the first years so excited about this new adventure. Everyone's catching up with old friends and making new ones. Brilliant.

As opposed to halfway through second semester when it's a lot of pressure and there's exams and assignments AAAARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Man I wish I could go back and start First year all over again. I'd approach it so differently.

biggest tips for a first year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

marko93 wrote: »
    Man I wish I could go back and start First year all over again. I'd approach it so differently.

approach it differently how?

biggest tips for a first year then?

Try to avoid skipping lectures, especially in science. Some lecturers only put incomplete notes on moodle, and some don't put any up at all (All the maths lecturers except Ciaran).

Do ALL your assignments/tutorials/labs. You could have 25-30% going into an exam, before you've put pen to paper. These marks are invaluable for higher grades.

Don't leave assignments to deadline day, as tempting as it is. Get them wrapped up 2-3 days in advance, so you have a chance to look over them before submission.

Most importantly, enjoy first year. It's the only year where you'll have proper downtime, and you'll make friends that will be around for a good while.

We used to have a thread around here with tips for first years etc. but a bunch of that info is probably out of date. Could do with a new one maybe?

The two things that made most difference to me were:
    1 - You can get free refill pads and highlighters from the Academic Advisory office, as well as talking to the amazing Rose.
    2 - When reading academic journal articles, it's often enough to just read the intro, the conclusion, and the first sentence of every paragraph... don't be trawling through 30 pages of boring jargon for no good reason. If it's a well written article you'll know exactly what's going on. If it's badly written you'll be saving yourself a great big headache.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mickstupp wrote: »
    2 - When reading academic journal articles, it's often enough to just read the intro, the conclusion, and the first sentence of every paragraph... don't be trawling through 30 pages of boring jargon for no good reason. If it's a well written article you'll know exactly what's going on. If it's badly written you'll be saving yourself a great big headache.

I so wish someone had told me this in first year. Wasted so much time on pointless articles!

^Me too! I only figured it out in third year, helped enormously because the workload in third year is crazy. Well... It's crazy if you want to do well and not just get a piece of paper.
    Don't leave assignments to deadline day, as tempting as it is. Get them wrapped up 2-3 days in advance, so you have a chance to look over them before submission.
    This is really good advice. A single coat of polish on an essay can easily mean a whole grade. Handing something in with zero mistakes in spelling and grammar, perfect formatting, referencing... it goes a surprisingly long way towards getting much higher marks. I've written essays that weren't as good as those of my friends, but I got far higher marks simply because mine had no mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just on the essay thing....no matter what the question is, the first 1/3 or 1/2 of your essay should be used to explain the main concept of the essay.

For example last year we got an essay question asking 'Can modern Ireland be considered a Tax Haven?'....cue people writing 2500 words directly arguing for or against this without outlining what a tax haven is and wondering why they dropped marks.

It seems pointless to have to do it when words couuld be used elsewhere but they want to see if you understand the concept.

Do your bibliography before starting an essay.

It is a great idea to start early but some people are just last minute and this isn't always a bad thing....there is little more productive than a man with a looming deadline.

Maybe we could have a thread just on essay/assignment writing advice, for both Arts and Science. What works for one person doesn't work for another, after all... but if you have a load of different approaches in one place, someone reading can just pick and choose the tips that suit them. I know it took me trying out five or six different approaches before I found what works best for me.

My sociology tutor gave me a great advice in first year. It works well for me since then but I know people that would find it very difficult to do it this way so I guess it depends on the individual. I do my introduction at the very end. At the very start some of my paragraphs are just mixed around. When I have the main part done I try to move them around so that they will fit together. It gives me more control over the entire essay. Then I do my conclusion and at the very end I do my introduction as I know what concepts I talked about, in which order are they etc. Dunno if it will be any help to yous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Standard essay rule: when done, take your last paragraph, and move it to the beginning. Works 90% of the time.

I'll do a little bit on 1st year English, although I hated it and dropped it, it was the one I found hardest to know how to prepare for, so I hope this will help a little.

You do 4 modules in 1st year if you're doing it through MH101 or a separate degree, (such as myself and MH106 Psychology where I took English as a second subject).

In Semester 1, you take 2 modules:

1. EN150 (Criticism, Research & Writing)
    This module is delivered in the form of 2 small seminar classes a week where you complete a number of small assignments in class and get assignments to have completed for the following week. This module is 100% continuous assessment, so you have no big examination to do after the Christmas holidays, which is excellent. For assessment you do a 2,000 word essay worth 50% due around the end of November and a number of smaller assignments (6) worth an additional 50%. My advice for this module, is to make sure you do all the assignments. It can be easy to decide not to bother doing one seeing as they're only worth less than 10 marks each, but those marks add up quickly. Oh and finally, go to each seminar, you lose a large amount of marks for every seminar you miss, which can result in you doing poorly in this class, even if you do each assignment excellently!

2. EN152 (Poetry)
    In this module, you will attend 2 lectures a week and discuss a wide range of poetic techniques and poems in order to build upon your knowledge from school. This is a 100% exam based module, but is very easy to pass. Once you attend your lectures and take your notes well in class, you should have no problem in passing at all!

Semester 2:

3. EN153 (Fiction)
    In this module, you have 2 lectures a week and you will have 5 novels to study in class. This module is grand, because in reality, you only need to read and study 1 book to be able to sit the exam, as they only ask you to discuss one novel. The exam is worth 50% and you will have an essay to do which is worth 50%. In reality, you will find at least 1-2 novels which will interest you and once you read the novel thoroughly you should have no problem doing very well in his class.

4. EN154 (Drama)
    This is a 2 lecture a week module and is a 100% exam based 2 hour examination module. You will study 5 plays, 4 in textual form and you will get to see the final one performed live some time in April. You will study 2 premodern plays, usually by Shakespeare and another "older" playwright and the final 3 will be modern plays. In the exam you must discuss one older play and a new play (or 2 new plays in a comparative form). Also this exam is fine and not that difficult if you keep up with your work.

That's English for 1st year anyway, I'd be more than happy to do a post on Psychology or Sociology if anyone is interested! Hope it helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I have no idea how the grant system works, but I just submitted my application - does anyone know how long it'll be before I find out if I'm eligible?

I have no idea how the grant system works, but I just submitted my application - does anyone know how long it'll be before I find out if I'm eligible?

It'll probably be a while, SUSI were notoriously slow last year. However if your income was under the levels on the website, you're pretty safe to be eligible to be getting the grant!

It'll probably be a while, SUSI were notoriously slow last year.

Understatement. There's 500 students yet to receive a grant.

Understatement. There's 500 students yet to receive a grant.

Feel sick with the thoughts of having to wait for the grant again this year :(

• Advertisement

Feel sick with the thoughts of having to wait for the grant again this year :(
    Im soooo glad that I'm still getting my grant via the old system. Last year I waited less than 3 weeks to get my grant application reviewed for the second year :)

Advertisement