Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thwip! wrote: »
    Also reading that I should contact my local tax office to get a new tax credit certificate if I fail to receive my P45....I've moved out of county for my new job....so is it the local tax office from back home or the one for my new home?

*Quite possibly a very silly question*

Your tax office is tied to the address you use for the purpose of tax. Not where you work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone recommend a good affordable notebook to use in collage? Want to get one for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If it's just for college, almost any cheap laptop will do. Just needs to run Office.

Back your stuff up regularly though, especially essays and stuff. The NUMBER of people whose cheap laptop hard drives fail during the year and the border a nervous mental breakdown is staggering.

I'm a disgusting Mac snob, but someone here will know the pc brands well enough to recommend one. Though I've had a Dell since 2001 and it still works great! Super reliable machines in my experience.

banquo wrote: »
    If it's just for college, almost any cheap laptop will do. Just needs to run Office.

Back your stuff up regularly though, especially essays and stuff. The NUMBER of people whose cheap laptop hard drives fail during the year and the border a nervous mental breakdown is staggering.

I'm a disgusting Mac snob, but someone here will know the pc brands well enough to recommend one. Though I've had a Dell since 2001 and it still works great! Super reliable machines in my experience.
    ye just something that is easy to carry around I have two laptops at home and tried bringing one in last year but its just too heavy and bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Don't know what your price range is but something like this would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Yeah that'd do nicely!^^^ Fair play to you Planemo for having a dig about.

Planemo wrote: »
    Don't know what your price range is but something like this would be ideal.
    yes something like that great thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I am using Samsung NF110 (There are newer versions for sure) for doing my college work and other stuff. I am using it for two years now and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It is small, cheap enough (I bought it for about €250), reliable (I never had problems with it), it charges quickly and after 2 years of every day use the battery holds for over 5 hours with Mozzilla and Windows Media Player open (I just checked it now). I agree with banquo saying that anything that would run Office would be good enough but from my own experience I know that the battery is equally important. I had to use my old netbook for few weeks in first year and it was a disaster. The battery worked for just over two hours. I had to find a plug after each lecture and few times I was forced stand in JH beside a plug cause my laptop was charging. Also couple of times I had to do my lecture notes with my screen turned off to save energy during a double lecture. With my current netbook I only bring my charger with me if I am planning to stay in the library till late. I hope this will help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I have a Samsung N150 and it worked perfectly for me for the last 3 years, I even did my thesis on it. Have to agree about the battery, even though there is a few more plug sockets in the library now it would take the pressure off around exam time if you had a battery with a few hours life.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I have a Samsung N150 and it worked perfectly for me for the last 3 years, I even did my thesis on it. Have to agree about the battery, even though there is a few more plug sockets in the library now it would take the pressure off around exam time if you had a battery with a few hours life.
    I agree, it is easier now with more plugs in the library but it would be hard to run there between the lectures and as you said it might be really hard to find a plug even in the library around the exam time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

So I guess I'm the only one here who thought they meant an actual notebook......like with pages?

So I guess I'm the only one here who thought they meant an actual notebook......like with pages?
    If it was proper notebook the question wouldn't make any sense so yea you might be the only one :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I personally recommend the pukka pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Paczini wrote: »
    If it was proper notebook the question wouldn't make any sense so yea you might be the only one :D

Some people are really into their paper Paczini.....GAWD :pac:

Some people are really into their paper Paczini.....GAWD :pac:
    Well in this situation I would recommend notebooks from Student Advisory Centre (or something similar, I never used them myself) which are good and affordable (free) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Aye, the old Paper vs. Machine debate

well back in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I thought this was about paper before I saw the reponses. I need a new electrified gizmo whatsit typing machine too.

I remember things best if I take notes on paper. Physically writing them seems to get info into my brain a lot better. Then Saturday mornings I spend two hours or so typing up the week's notes. Serves to refresh the information but also when it comes to exam study I just have to press Print for my study notes, instead of wading through loads of pages of terrible handwriting.
    Well in this situation I would recommend notebooks from Student Advisory Centre (or something similar, I never used them myself) which are good and affordable (free) :D
    I've been here five years and have never once needed to pay for paper. Or highlighters. Between those minor things and the actual advice, Rose in the academic advisory office has really helped me a hell of a lot over the few years.

Lads, it's just too early.

Do yous know if there is another site to put up the ad apart from adverts.ie and gumtree.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Do yous know if there is another site to put up the ad apart from adverts.ie and gumtree.ie?

Donedeal.ie is fairly good, but iirc you've to pay a euro or something to stick an ad on there.

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    Donedeal.ie is fairly good, but iirc you've to pay a euro or something to stick an ad on there.
    It's €3 I cant afford that as my ad would be up there for a day :/ I just need to sell festival tickets for this weekend cause I can't go any more :(

Oxegen, yes?

Price?

banquo wrote: »
    Oxegen, yes?

Price?
    Unfortunately no, Castlepalooza, I'm selling them €20-25 cheaper than I got them for just to get some money back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

lisar816 wrote: »
    yes something like that great thank you.

Just make sure you take care of it

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Unfortunately no, Castlepalooza, I'm selling them €20-25 cheaper than I got them for just to get some money back

I was just thinking "I really need to go to more festivals" and then I saw the line up and after scratching my head for 5 minutes I gave up.

I would suggest selling counter-fit tickets to Oxegen or try sell them on toutless.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Can anyone recommend a daycent bank to join? Ideally one that provides a good overdraft...

ah just received my orientation pack in the post can't wait now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah i remember the heady days of first year in Maynooth. What a year. Enjoy every last second of it you lucky sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

lisar816 wrote: »
    ah just received my orientation pack in the post can't wait now :)

If you're doing Science, make sure you study maths. Currently studying all 4 modules for repeats.

Also really suggest joining clubs and going to their nights, best/easiest way of making friends with common interests. Then just enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    If you're doing Science, make sure you study maths. Currently studying all 4 modules for repeats.

Also really suggest joining clubs and going to their nights, best/easiest way of making friends with common interests. Then just enjoy yourself.
    Well at least it can be dropped in second year right? Its definitely the subject i will be dropping!

Advertisement