Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The County Between Donegal and Antrim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

dlofnep wrote: »
    Oh btw, don't even mention the word "Derry" on wikipedia. There's a hothead unionist mod on there who will attack you, and tell you that there is "no such county as Derry", change it back to Londonderry and then ban you from editing articles.

Will he be changing the name of this link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Saibh wrote: »
    Will he be changing this link?

This is the mod: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ben_W_Bell

Anything with "County Derry", he changes to "County Londonderry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

luckylucky wrote: »
    Here Jim236 I think you misunderstood my post. So to clarify I'll go back over.

I tried to stay impartial on them, so hence the terrorist/freedom fighter tag. Some people think of them as terrorists and some as freedom fighters.

You're taking what I said here totally out of context. I for one minute didn't say or even imply that the 800,000 Catholics in the north should not be regarded as Irish, in fact if anything I think down South we don't give half enough respect to what our Northern Brethren have gone through. To me they are our brothers. I was merely having a dig at the British Media for its double standards, if something is perceived as good in NI it's labeled as British and if bad it's labeled as Irish.

Fair enough, I misunderstood ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    No I don't. You might find the majority of people in Dublin might wake up tomorrow wanting to call their county 'U2ville' or even 'Liverchester Utd' but that doesn't mean the county is suddenly no longer called 'Dublin' anymore.

Likewise get the name of county 'Londonderry' officially changed and I'll call it whatever you all want to call it. Until then it's Londonderry.

You must be from Kingstown Dun Laoghaire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's called Derry.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its Derry, plain and simple. Deriving from the Irish 'Doire' meaning 'oak wood', founded by Colm Cille in 6th century. Over 75% of the city's population is Nationalist. Therefore putting London in front of it makes little or no sense and is insulting to the majority of the local population. 'London' has no historical connection with the founding of the city. If putting London in front of it is correct, then why not put 'Ireland' in front of Liverpool - upwards of 200,000 Irish people have emigrated to that city since 1820.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dudess wrote: »
    Derry. The "London" being tacked on is clearly something that has its origins in colonialism - surely anyone can see that. It's a good symbol of one culture imposing itself on another actually.

I can't understand why people down here who aren't unionists would refer to it as "Londonderry" - other than to go to great lengths to demonstrate how anti republican they are. Yet being anti provo does not require this. Many nationalists and republicans are actually anti provo too.
    What she said.
    Far more eloquently that I would have said it.

Where's the poll option for LDerry?
    Neither exist.

Who the fúck gives a shít?
    I do.

According to yesterday's papers people from Derry applying for an Irish passport will now be able to have Londonderry on their passport. More surprising it said Unionists are applying for Irish passports.:eek:

I'll try and dig up a link if i can find one.

EDIT: Heres one.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/londonderry-loyalists-signing-up-for-irish-passports-1703836.html
    International terrorists are kinder to Irish people than they are to British people.

dublinario wrote: »
    I was educated at a tough, inner-city school where textbooks referred only to two Irish counties. Co. Dublin, and Co. Miscellaneous. What's more, the book stated that the people from Co. Miscellaneous were twelve-toed amphibious freaks, equally at home breathing through their mouths or the gills in their buttocks.
    Those English schools really need to start teaching history in a better way.

Oh btw, don't even mention the word "Derry" on wikipedia. There's a hothead unionist mod on there who will attack you, and tell you that there is "no such county as Derry", change it back to Londonderry and then ban you from editing articles.
    Give me a year and I'll sort him out.
    Slow and steady progress on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i think the poll result is pretty conclusive here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

Terry wrote: »
    What she said.
    Far more eloquently that I would have said it.

Neither exist.

I do.

International terrorists are kinder to Irish people than they are to British people.

Those English schools really need to start teaching history in a better way.

^^^^^^ Whatever you do.... Don't. Call. This. Guy. LondonTerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Get him Terry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gurramok wrote: »
    Thats because its needs legislation through the House Of Lords to change it by British law(afaik, could be wrong here, needs legislation anyway) and you can bet they will not agree to it.
    Wrong House based on what it says on the Avon wiki page, the Lords don't actually get to decide on anything anyway really, just delay things a bit if they happen to be feeling a bit awkward at the time.

So any lack of change is going to be more due to them not giving a crap about it either I'd expect.

i dont think ya could handle him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

According to yesterday's papers people from Derry applying for an Irish passport will now be able to have Londonderry on their passport. More surprising it said Unionists are applying for Irish passports.

I'll try and dig up a link if i can find one.

EDIT: Heres one.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-1703836.html

Or maybe, just maybe its because when a Spaniard sees a British passport they think the person is British and then for some mad reason has a bad opinion of them. I wonder why....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

County Londonderry sounds bizarre to me. In my school atlases and geography books etc, it was always Co. Derry, so that's how I know it as .I think beside the little dot for Derry City on maps there was a tag saying '' (London) Derry" or something. But no, I always think of the county as Derry. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:p But there is no such thing as a County Derry.

Sorry for being a hothead Unionist attacker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is proof enough that it is indeed Derry ;)

muffler wrote: »
    This is proof enough that it is indeed Derry ;)

We are chatting about 6, not 9 counties! :o

I'm not arguing about should Londonderry be called Derry as we'll never agree.

I'm arguing is Derry or Londonderry officially the name of the city? That isn't debatable! or well less debatable!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

It's Derry to me, though you would hear it called Londonderry up here sometimes.
    We were taught in primary school the 6 counties with the mnemonic FAT LAD, viz., Fermanagh Antrim Tyrone, Londonderry Armagh Down. Though it must be noted I went to school in one of the most densely Unionist-populated areas.
    Quite frankly, "Londonderry" is a clumsy mouthful, and always seems like you're making more of a political point than if you just said Derry, which most unionists probably wouldn't care about.

Then there's the whole other discussion about "Northern Ireland" versus the "North of Ireland", which is also silly, since they both imply the same thing. Of course the latter has more nationalist connotations. There are plenty of other silly things like this too.

Btw, is Doire pronounced doir? Or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Doire

Danny-B wrote: »
    Btw, is Doire pronounced doir? Or..?

IT'LL be whatever us Donegal people tells yas after 5 O'Clock tomorrow.

Donegal 1-11, Derry 0-10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

K-9 wrote: »
    IT'LL be whatever us Donegal people tells yas after 5 O'Clock tomorrow.

Donegal 1-11, Derry 0-10.
    Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

Just not sure how to pronounce the word! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fermanagh.

Danny-B wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

Just not sure how to pronounce the word! :)

its doire

Fermanagh.

learn some geography

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What about the Londonderry East parliamentary constituency. That refers to the county and given that they have elected Gregory Campbell, I can't think the people of that area have much issue with Londonderry being used. To me, Londonderry sounds plain wrong. Like 2 places. But I've never had to live there so I can't comment. The only time I was ever there, I was threatened by a street gang for asking a Guard for directions after said Guard misdirected me down a lane with a closed gate. Upon coming back the cop car was gone and a bunch of teenage hoods were in it's place calling me an informer and threatening to do me. They can call it whatever they like and I'd be happy if the sort of people who I encountered didn't get their way with anything. Londonderry it is for me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

luckylucky wrote: »
    Afaik the official name of the city is Derry - changed it a while back, and the official name of the county is Londonderry - haven't heard that it changed.

Just a thought - might it not be for the best for the city and county just to be renamed to something which the majority of both communities can live with. Wouldn't be the first time that a city got renamed after all.
    Yeah how about London?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Doire Saor? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Cliste wrote: »
    Doire Saor? :P
    A nice sentiment for an Easter Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I remember being stopped by the squaddies as part of a general border check once when going shopping into Derry. They asked "where are you going sir?" I said in shopping to Derry, they replied "Dont you mean Londonderry?". I said "No, Derry", this Q and A went back and forth several times until they said enjoy your trip.

It is Derry in the republic, and Londonderry in most UK parlance (All GB and the jaffa cake eaters in the 6 counties).

Last time I was up, the sign "you are now entering free Derry" was still there - thats good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It is Derry in the republic, and Londonderry in most UK parlance (All GB and the jaffa cake eaters in the 6 counties).

Jaffa cake eaters? Cop on.

Advertisement