Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The County Between Donegal and Antrim

Options
  • 11-04-2009 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

What do you call it? (And why, if you're feeling verbose.)

Until recently I was of the belief that to most people in the south it was called "Derry", and then to certain people in the north it was called "Londonderry", but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this may not be entirely accurate. When I was in school we always, always called it Derry, and the word "Londonderry" only ever came up as a kind of relic in history, so I'm somewhat taken aback when people sincerely refer to it as such. It seems to me to be more of a politically charged term than just "Derry", but I've met a fair few people now who casually refer to it as Londonderry, and whom I would not consider particularly politically pushed.

Anyway, just interested in seeing what people have to say.

Name of the county between Donegal and Antrim? 222 votes

Derry
    0% 0 votes
    Londonderry
    100% 222 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Luxembourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jaysus you got that in before I'd even added the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

nobody actually calls it londonderry do they? never heard anyone say that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I think the official name is Londonderry but peopele name it as they please. If t is any consolation the district council is called Derry City Council. Doesn't matter really tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Derry, I always assume someone calling it Londonderry is either English or NI unionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Unionists call it Londonderry, Nationalists call it Derry.

It's Derry. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Derry, because two syllables are less effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

nobody actually calls it londonderry do they? never heard anyone say that

Apparently even northern Unionists usually say Derry in conversation, and only call it Londonderry when they're being formal about it. So I've read in some articles by Unionist writers anyways.

To me its Derry anyway. The city council call themselves Derry City Council these days and are trying to change the legal name of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Piste wrote: »
    Derry, I always assume someone calling it Londonderry is either English or NI unionist.
    That's what I thought too, but if that's the case, I may be accidentally associating myself with some of the above. Some... or all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The Peoples Republic of Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

who gives a crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I've never had to refer to that place in my life so I've never actually called it anything.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The official name is Londonderry. However i read before is policy to reply to letters marked as derry with derry, and Londonderry with Londonderry

And yes, its a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hurdy-hur-y

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Londaindoire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slightly OT.

Exactly how long does an appreticeship take? Some of those Apprentice Boys are nearly on a pension, are they a bit slow learning their trade or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How about Dana's Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The news readers on BBC and UTV are a bit confused as well
    One minute its Derry then next its Londonderry

All the road signs in the North refer to derry as well...cause people paint over the 'London'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hagar wrote: »
    Slightly OT.

Exactly how long does an appreticeship take? Some of those Apprentice Boys are nearly on a pension, are they a bit slow learning their trade or something?

:D I'm out of thanks.
    salonfire wrote: »
    The news readers on BBC and UTV are a bit confused as well
    One minute its Derry then next its Londonderry

That's policy so as not to offend people. Or to offend everybody equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bobbly

The official name is Londonderry. However i read before is policy to reply to letters marked as derry with derry, and Londonderry with Londonderry

And yes, its a kip

its officially Derry now by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Not Delhi" - so that all of the Chinese heading for Delhi don't keep getting on the wrong plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Derry. The "London" being tacked on is clearly something that has its origins in colonialism - surely anyone can see that. It's a good symbol of one culture imposing itself on another actually.

I can't understand why people down here who aren't unionists would refer to it as "Londonderry" - other than to go to great lengths to demonstrate how anti republican they are. Yet being anti provo does not require this. Many nationalists and republicans are actually anti provo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

I call it Londonderry.....but i pronounce the first six letters silently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

bobbly wrote: »
    its officially Derry now by the looks of it

Afaik the official name of the city is Derry - changed it a while back, and the official name of the county is Londonderry - haven't heard that it changed.

Just a thought - might it not be for the best for the city and county just to be renamed to something which the majority of both communities can live with. Wouldn't be the first time that a city got renamed after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Dudess wrote: »
    Derry. The "London" being tacked on is clearly something that has its origins in colonialism - surely anyone can see that. It's a good symbol of one culture imposing itself on another actually.

+1 from all of us here in Lagoslongford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Dudess wrote: »

Well in Derry's case it's only sort of that type of case. The London being tacked on was done as a gesture of thanks to the City of London Guilds which gave aid to the city during the Jacobite siege.
    destroyer wrote: »
    +1 from all of us here in Lagoslongford

Has a nice ring to it. :P. Makes ye sound all cosmopolitan.

Advertisement