Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The County Between Donegal and Antrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

if you're feeling especially dipomatic (or unsure of the company you're in) you can call it Stroke City.

shouldn't this be included in the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

An doire is an anim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The county as we know it is Derry. The English don't have 6 counties in NI, they have 26 districts.

The city on the other hand is Londonderry to them, and Derry to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where's the poll option for LDerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

On a holiday in spain 10 or so years ago, i got speaking to a group who said they were from co. derry. I asked the almost instintive question of anyone in the republic, 'derry or londonderry?'. They answered (without being smart arses) have you ever been up? 'no' i said. 'well then, what difference does it make?' turns out they were gaa lads. I thought it was a fair point, and home is home no matter what its called. Never asked it again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who the fúck gives a shít?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

bluefinger wrote: »
    if you're feeling especially dipomatic (or unsure of the company you're in) you can call it Stroke City.

shouldn't this be included in the poll?
    There shall be no fence-sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dublinderry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

luckylucky wrote: »
    Afaik the official name of the city is Derry - changed it a while back, and the official name of the county is Londonderry - haven't heard that it changed.

Not quite. There was a court case which came down in favour of Londonderry.

Officially called Londonderry:
    Londonderry (the city)
    Co. Londonderry
    Londonderry Port
    Foyle and Londonderry College

Officially called Derry:
    City of Derry Airport (but the code is LDY)
    Derry City FC
    Derry GAA
    Derry City Council
    Lots of other things

Indidentally athough Londonderry the city was once officially Derry, there was never a Co. Derry officially. It was Co. Coleraine.

And what is official doesn't affect what names people actually use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Who the fúck gives a shít?
    Translation: "I don't give a sh*t, therefore nobody else should."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

just to clarify its county derry, and the city is technicalle called londonderry, but is most commonly referred to as derry aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Let the Brits call it LondonDerry if they want, sure dont they own it:pac:

Man Id hate to be ruled by the Brits, you guys should really do something about that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PK2008 wrote: »
    Man Id hate to be ruled by the Brits, you guys should really do something about that.......
    ****stirrer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

According to yesterday's papers people from Derry applying for an Irish passport will now be able to have Londonderry on their passport. More surprising it said Unionists are applying for Irish passports.:eek:

I'll try and dig up a link if i can find one.

EDIT: Heres one.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/londonderry-loyalists-signing-up-for-irish-passports-1703836.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

According to yesterday's papers people from Derry applying for an Irish passport will now be able to have Londonderry on their passport. More surprising it said Unionists are applying for Irish passports.:eek:

I'll try and dig up a link if i can find one.

EDIT: Heres one.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/londonderry-loyalists-signing-up-for-irish-passports-1703836.html
    TBH I think it's pretty stupid...if you want an Irish Passport then you should accept the Irish Placename

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I call it Derry because up until a while ago I never realised that there was an alternative name. Plus 2 syllables is too much effort.

Iolar wrote: »
    The Free State of Derry?
    Queen-Mise wrote: »
    The Peoples Republic of Derry

Splitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I think the official name is Londonderry but peopele name it as they please. If t is any consolation the district council is called Derry City Council. Doesn't matter really tbh.

In the UK its 'official' name is L'derry(despite the majority in the city wanting it to be called Derry, so much for democracy:rolleyes:), but in Ireland it's official name is Derry. I'm Irish, I was born in Ireland, I live in Ireland, therefore its Derry to me.

Wasn't the British queen meant to change the city charter anyway this year from L'derry to Derry? Doesn't really matter I suppose, the Brits can call it what they like, it'll always be Derry in Ireland, thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Jim236 wrote: »
    In the UK its 'official' name is L'derry(despite the majority in the city wanting it to be called Derry, so much for democracy:rolleyes:), but in Ireland it's official name is Derry. I'm Irish, I was born in Ireland, I live in Ireland, therefore its Derry to me.

Wasn't the British queen meant to change the city charter anyway this year from L'derry to Derry? Doesn't really matter I suppose, the Brits can call it what they like, it'll always be Derry in Ireland, thats all that matters.
    the original name for derry[londonderry ] is doire[place of oaks ] but if a native of this city said i am from doir he would sound like homer simson, so let cut out the london and its easer to spell, but i still have to find a member of this city who calls the tune londonderry air the derry air ,just dosent sound quite the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

getz wrote: »
    i still have to find a member of this city who calls the tune londonderry air the derry air ,just dosent sound quite the same

Phil Coulter
    There was music there in the Derry air
    like a language that we all could understand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yesterday's war tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I was educated at a tough, inner-city school where textbooks referred only to two Irish counties. Co. Dublin, and Co. Miscellaneous. What's more, the book stated that the people from Co. Miscellaneous were twelve-toed amphibious freaks, equally at home breathing through their mouths or the gills in their buttocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Richard wrote: »
    Not quite. There was a court case which came down in favour of Londonderry.

It was never in 'favour'. It came down on a technicality saying just because the council name was changed does not mean it applies to the city.

Thats because its needs legislation through the House Of Lords to change it by British law(afaik, could be wrong here, needs legislation anyway) and you can bet they will not agree to it.

If a poll on its name was held tomorrow in the city and county, you can bet the majority would vote for Derry as Derry is a majority Nationalist county.
    The news readers on BBC and UTV are a bit confused as well
    One minute its Derry then next its Londonderry

Thats the media's way of catering to both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I call the county 'Londonderry' because that is its name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

javaboy wrote: »
    Phil Coulter
    There was music there in the Derry air
    Caused much subsequent confusion when hip-hop artists and the like instructed their listeners to "shake that derriere".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mr.Lizard wrote: »

Nice one, you just do not accept the majority that live there prefer Derry instead.

county londonderry is not its name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

gurramok wrote: »
    Nice one, you just do not accept the majority that live there prefer Derry instead.

No I don't. You might find the majority of people in Dublin might wake up tomorrow wanting to call their county 'U2ville' or even 'Liverchester Utd' but that doesn't mean the county is suddenly no longer called 'Dublin' anymore.

Likewise get the name of county 'Londonderry' officially changed and I'll call it whatever you all want to call it. Until then it's Londonderry.

• Advertisement

No I don't. You might find the majority of people in Dublin might wake up tomorrow wanting to call their county 'U2ville' or even 'Liverchester Utd' but that doesn't mean the county is suddenly no longer called 'Dublin' anymore.

Likewise get the name of county 'Londonderry' officially changed and I'll call it whatever you all want to call it. Until then it's Londonderry.

your speaking absolute bull****, there was a recent row (brought up by sinn fein) bout changing the name of the city londonderry to derry, but the county has always benn known as derry.

FACT

Advertisement