Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi,

Trying to find the name of a martial arts movie. Don't have much to go on possibly Jean Claude Van Dam but not sure and its not bloodsport.

Main thing I remember is that there is a fight versus a guy with a very long braided pony tail on the end of which there is a blade.

Thanks!

Woden

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

Trying to find the name of a martial arts movie. Don't have much to go on possibly Jean Claude Van Dam but not sure and its not bloodsport.

Main thing I remember is that there is a fight versus a guy with a very long braided pony tail on the end of which there is a blade.

Thanks!

Woden

Best of the Best 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

brian_t wrote: »
    "Girl from Rio" comes to mind starring Hugh Laurie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chica_de_R%C3%ADo

That's the one! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227980/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I recall seeing this a few years ago. I think this French film was from the 1990s/2000s (more likely the latter). There was a lady (she may have been a lawyer or something like that). She was an alcoholic. There was a scene where she went into a bar and tried to drink non alcoholic drinks but fell off the wagon - she started drinking with a man and got blind drunk.
    Can someone tell me the title? Ta.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

can anyone identify this film.
    it was on tv3 about 5 years ago nd i never seen it since.

a guy with glasses is reading up on old religous books. he beleives they are cursed, and drives around telling people (he's all paranoid)

one scene which stands out is when he drives up to some old monastry and theres a suicidal guy there with petrol and a gun. he douses himself and ignites himself and the main character shoots him to take him out of his agony.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr.Success wrote: »
    can anyone identify this film.
    it was on tv3 about 5 years ago nd i never seen it since.

a guy with glasses is reading up on old religous books. he beleives they are cursed, and drives around telling people (he's all paranoid)

one scene which stands out is when he drives up to some old monastry and theres a suicidal guy there with petrol and a gun. he douses himself and ignites himself and the main character shoots him to take him out of his agony.

The Ninth Gate??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

Worztron wrote: »
    I recall seeing this a few years ago. I think this French film was from the 1990s/2000s (more likely the latter). There was a lady (she may have been a lawyer or something like that). She was an alcoholic. There was a scene where she went into a bar and tried to drink non alcoholic drinks but fell off the wagon - she started drinking with a man and got blind drunk.
    Can someone tell me the title? Ta.

The only French film about a female alcoholic that I've can recall seeing is called "Betty" directed by Claude Chabrol. It's from 1992.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19931001/REVIEWS/310010301/1023

The only French film about a female alcoholic that I've can recall seeing is called "Betty" directed by Claude Chabrol. It's from 1992.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19931001/REVIEWS/310010301/1023

No, that ain't it. Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

Mickeroo wrote: »

YESSS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Sounds like the scene in Traffic where Douglas takes over from Brolin and Brolin's character tells him the story of the two envelopes. How the out going head wrote two letters to be opened when there was trouble. The first has a piece of paper with blame the last guy, the second reads write two letters.

Thanks, I think that might be it, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks!

Woden

Best of the Best 2?

Its Kickboxer - part 2 (sort of) to Bloodsport (or Part 1) - cant remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3stFYLVa4

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

So delighted to see this thread here! I'm trying to track down the name of an old western.

I think either John Wayne or Robert Mitchum was the lead character who had an uneasy friendship with a band of outlaws. There was a little bot of competition between him adn the ringleader of the gang over a woman. The woman in question was dark haired, owned a saloon and played the piano.

The youngest member of the gang was called Turkey (what a name, only reason I remember it!) and he went to this woman for help one night when he had been injured and seperated from the gang. Then the crooked sheriff came a-calling and she hid Turkey under the bar counter. But he was weak and he slipped out from under it so the sheriff and his men took them both to hang them in the middle of the night (you know that kind of hanging where the prisoner sits on horse back with a nose around their neck and the rope over a tree branch and someone hits the horse to make them go). Anyway, main character sees all this, knows he can only save one and chooses to save the woman. He takes her to the gangs hideout to hide her and the gang leader is furious that he let Turkey die but calms down some bit when the lead character reminds him that it was either Turkey or the woman.

Anyway, that's all I remember. I've given as much detail as I can because I'm aware that its pretty obscure. Really hope some one can help and thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

fionav3 wrote: »
    So delighted to see this thread here! I'm trying to track down the name of an old western.

I think either John Wayne or Robert Mitchum was the lead character who had an uneasy friendship with a band of outlaws. There was a little bot of competition between him adn the ringleader of the gang over a woman. The woman in question was dark haired, owned a saloon and played the piano.

Johnny Guitar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047136/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Guitar

Cast

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Johnny Guitar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047136/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Guitar

Cast

That's it!!!!!! Okay so I was totally wrong about the main guy but that's it. Thanks Brian, that was doing my nut in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Just remember one glimpse of a scene. It's a scene where a guy gets hanged accidentally i think. Think he falls off some high scaffolding and gets tangled up in rope. Looks like the scaffolding is in a desert type place. I think he fell as a result of some mystical intervention a la exorcist or omen or something like that (think it was made in the 70's too). I also remember when his neck cracks, there's a real harsh sound. Saw it when I was a kid, scared the pants off me, obviously want to see it again :D

edit: thought it was called the mummy for some reason?

edit2: FOUND IT!! The Awakening (1980)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGggZllk4kI#t=27m15s
    caution, contains hanging ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGggZllk4kI#t=27m15s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

After the name of a recent film

You earn life minutes for working etc but then have to pay life minutes for stuff like coffee etc (like a cup of coffee will cost 4 minutes of yer life)

Any idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

scudzilla wrote: »
    After the name of a recent film

You earn life minutes for working etc but then have to pay life minutes for stuff like coffee etc (like a cup of coffee will cost 4 minutes of yer life)

Any idea's?

In Time with Justin Timberlake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

In Time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The wife is looking for a movie to play for her class on the last day before Christmas. She is thinking of one she watched years ago as a child, but cannot remember mucha bout it....

She reckons that the movie is older than Santa Clause the Movie with Dudley Moore. Seemingly Santa, or maybe Kris, is depicted carving toys out of wood for the kids. He lived in the woods. Can't extract more info than that, an ideas?

Guill wrote: »
    The wife is looking for a movie to play for her class on the last day before Christmas. She is thinking of one she watched years ago as a child, but cannot remember mucha bout it....

She reckons that the movie is older than Santa Clause the Movie with Dudley Moore. Seemingly Santa, or maybe Kris, is depicted carving toys out of wood for the kids. He lived in the woods. Can't extract more info than that, an ideas?

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town?

• Advertisement

IU had asked her that already, she said it was a movie. Just up from a sleep before night shift, had a revelation.

At the start of santa claus the Movie isn't Santa sitting down carving wooden toys before he meets the elves?

IU had asked her that already, she said it was a movie. Just up from a sleep before night shift, had a revelation.

At the start of santa claus the Movie isn't Santa sitting down carving wooden toys before he meets the elves?

Yea you're right actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSvo_rOOPk

Yea, gonna have to have a word with her in the mornining re: wild goose chases.

Yea, gonna have to have a word with her in the mornining re: wild goose chases.

:D

Sometimes its best just not to question these things, for a quiet life. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mcathlete

I recently heard Black Label Society's "In This River" in a film or on TV but can't remember what. Can anyone help me and end my misery ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

V for vendetta the only one I know of that they had a song in :s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

This is going to be a very vague description, I seen this film or just some of it, cause I think it scared the crap out of me as a kid.

An 80s US horror flick, this scene is probably from the middle of the film somewhere, 2 or 3 teenagers/young adults driving at night hit somebody on the road, they pull over, the usual, body aint moving until they go over to it, and it pops ups as its a vampire or something, there might be a bit of conversation then an attack and other vampires or whatever that guy is near by and come up to the car. Could be a road going through a corn field, definitely mid western US setting anyways.

That's all I remember, I must have been 5 or 6 when I watched this, and that scene always stayed with me, no idea what the film is though. It was over 25 years ago when I watched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    This is going to be a very vague description, I seen this film or just some of it, cause I think it scared the crap out of me as a kid.

An 80s US horror flick, this scene is probably from the middle of the film somewhere, 2 or 3 teenagers/young adults driving at night hit somebody on the road, they pull over, the usual, body aint moving until they go over to it, and it pops ups as its a vampire or something, there might be a bit of conversation then an attack and other vampires or whatever that guy is near by and come up to the car. Could be a road going through a corn field, definitely mid western US setting anyways.

That's all I remember, I must have been 5 or 6 when I watched this, and that scene always stayed with me, no idea what the film is though. It was over 25 years ago when I watched it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead_%281985_film%29
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ANSI wrote: »

No, its not a zombie film, I think its Vampires or evil kids or something.
    Told ya it was a vague one.

Its a mid 80s film anyways, just going by when I watched it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    No, its not a zombie film, I think its Vampires or evil kids or something.
    Told ya it was a vague one.

Its a mid 80s film anyways, just going by when I watched it.

might be at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_film

Advertisement