Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

Not that I'm aware of but I doubt they'd entertain that on the grounds of support issues.

I don't need their support. Docsis is a standard so it's weird you can't bring your own device. Support for a the device lies with the manufacturer not the ISP. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I don't need their support.

Never suggested you do. the majority of users here wouldn't need their support either but I just can't see them doing that for any customer. Support was just a guess on my part as to what excuse they'd give you for not allowing it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

osullsean wrote: »
    I had very unreliable WiFi between April and December 2014. I got UPC to issue a new TC7200 first, but the problems were still the same. So I called to tell them that each TC7200 provisions a wireless service with its country code locked to operate in the Netherlands rather than in Ireland, and that I basically wanted a router that's set up to work in Ireland. They conceded the point and sent out a Cisco EPC3925 by overnight delivery. Feels like I won the lottery.

Hi, can you outline your issue? I'm having issues, WiFi dropping, my 3G data kicking in. Router freezing etc. UPC tell me there is nothing wrong even though I show them a video of the WiFi dropping both on phone and modem.

They just sent me out this new Technicolor yesterday

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've got my own router plugged into the TC7200. I was wondering is there any point having the TC7200. Can I direct to my own router from the Horizon box? I find even with the TC7200 the I get drop outs. The TV still works, my Wifi Router is still up, bit the TC7200 is out. Usually comes back in 2~5 mins. I dunno how often it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 osullsean

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Hi, can you outline your issue? I'm having issues, WiFi dropping, my 3G data kicking in. Router freezing etc. UPC tell me there is nothing wrong even though I show them a video of the WiFi dropping both on phone and modem.

They just sent me out this new Technicolor yesterday

Thanks
    Sure—I've had the EPC3925 for a week now, and so far it's been really excellent. As I mentioned, I had about eight months of terrible WiFi service after getting the TC7200 for the first time. UPC originally sent it out when I upgraded to a 200mb connection.

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Applecare (originally thinking that my new Mac was the problem). After months of diagnostics, Apple's engineers told me that the network itself was faulty. So from there I ended up with the same problem as yourself: I contacted UPC to ask them about the quality of service with the TC7200, they sent out a technician who just installed a new TC7200. He told me that he receives constant complaints about the hardware, but that he had no option except to give me the same model again. I tried that for a few days with exactly the same problems as before.

I think the *actual* problem with the TC7200 is that it's extremely bad at resolving and maintaining connections over its own DHCP and NAT. It's basically just cheap, bad hardware underpinned with inflexible software—that's why UPC never gives these machines to business customers. But you'd have no luck trying to convince them that the actual connection provisioning is weak. However, you can catch them out on the Country Code thing: the modem isn't set up to provide a wireless service for Ireland, instead it's fixed to the Netherlands and it can't be changed by users or technicians. So if you call them up and explain that you live in Ireland and you'd like a router that's set up to work in Ireland, you might get somewhere. Whatever happens, don't mention the word bridging to them.

I have a suspicion that some devices check the Country Code itself rather than just the broadcasted channels within that code (e.g. checking NL or IE instead of 1–13 on 2.4GHz). But aside from any problems with resolving a host on the subnet that might be caused by conflicting Country Codes, the TC7200 is just a bad piece of hardware, so the unreliable DHCP/NAT are probably as much the cause of your connection dropping as any other issue.

The ideal situation is to have a simple modem bridging to a more expensive router, and then have the good router managing all DHCP and NAT traffic. UPC don't actually want you to do that, but that's the way to get stable broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

So has anyone been able to hook another router up and have that handle everything? Can it be done or have UPC blocked us from doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Recently received the TC myself and I have to say I am less than impressed.

Previously had the Scientific Atlanta Modem and my own buffalo router so a lot of functionality that I had on my previous system has been lost.

Port forwarding was not working initially (Synology NAS) but after a quick PM to the UPC reps they assigned me a IPv4 address (see thread regarding DS-lite).

I then noticed that my Synology could not see the WAN address on the router and as such my dyndns account would not update.

I eventually figured out that for the synology to see the WAN address, the static address that I have assigned my Synology has to be within the DHCP pool of addresses?? What the hell is that all about?!

Anyway after much frustration it is all singing and dancing now. Time will tell how stable the unit is but for now it is working fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

thorbarry wrote: »
    So has anyone been able to hook another router up and have that handle everything? Can it be done or have UPC blocked us from doing it?

You can bridge the EPC3925. Mines feeding a samknows box and my own router for the internal network.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

ED E wrote: »
    You can bridge the EPC3925. Mines feeding a samknows box and my own router for the internal network.

You can bridge the EPC alright but this thread is about the TC. The EPC is no longer available from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I am noticing on my PS4 I am getting nat type 2. I put the MAC address of the PS4 into the MAC Filter section of the router, thinking it would forward the ports, but instead it stopped the PS4 from getting any connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Good for you, you won't know yourself ;)

I had two Ciscos and both of them were shite. This Technicolor thing is the ****ing pits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

UPC seems to be changing using assigned passwords for access to the Technicolor cable modem box. When they delivered the Technicolor/Thomson box, I self-installed it and threw out the Cisco rubbish. I changed from the default user ID/password (admin/admin) to my own.

A few weeks later I couldn't get into the modem using my credentials. It had been changed back to the default - I am assuming by UPC, perhaps as a badly designed software update run behind one's back.

This is incredible security incompetence on the part of UPC. Especially in the light of http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/critical-flaw-hits-millions-of/#at_pco=smlrebh-1.0&at_si=54a59264c57437ab&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=0&at_tot=4 and similar stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're provisioned equipment that remain upcs property, there's nothing nefarious about them pushing new FWs, even if they're badly coded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ED E wrote: »
    They're provisioned equipment that remain upcs property, there's nothing nefarious about them pushing new FWs, even if they're badly coded.

There is an issue of the firmware changes one's password to a default password, making it easier for people to get into the modem. Or do you come from the school that UPC is an omnipotent above the law company who can print out the names and addresses, IBANs and payment card numbers of customers and spread it around like confetti?

If UPC is updating firmware in a manner that re-sets the password to default the company is unquestionably negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Hi,

Two questions.

1. This point about the country code. I might try this to get a different router. What exact problem would this call by being incorrect?
    2. In terms of getting an IPV4 address. What problem did you need to explain you had with port forwarding to get this? I'm hoping to have a real external IPV4 address.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Hi if i have IPv4 and will activate bridge mode it will stay when Upc will change it to IPv6 for me? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has anyone had any issues with changing from 2.4 to 5 Ghz ? I changed but while both devices could connect, the signal strength was poor and I was getting less than 1Mbps up and down on both laptops.

On 2.4Ghz I can get up to over 70Mps down. Have I missed something obvious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with changing from 2.4 to 5 Ghz ? I changed but while both devices could connect, the signal strength was poor and I was getting less than 1Mbps up and down on both laptops.

On 2.4Ghz I can get up to over 70Mps down. Have I missed something obvious ?
    How far are you from the router? 5Ghz is good for very short range but it has a steeper drop-off in bandwidth over distance than 2.4Ghz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty close, no more than 10/12 feet with both laptops. Different rooms but they had a line of sight to the modem with the doors open.

Ironically after switching back to 2.4 I played around with the channels it was on and I'm now getting probably the fastest wireless speeds I've had, 90Mbps down and pretty much the max upload, 25Mps.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Has any upc customer that has one of there modems in bridge mode ever got a 10.something ip?

I have the cisco one bridged but it's giving my netgear a 10. Ip and has no connectivity

• Advertisement

Seen his post in the UPC BA thread about the hidden bridging mode page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93743794&postcount=80

I just had a look and i can get to the page and change it into bridging mode, it removes the LAN, DHCP and time tabs in basic which is a good sign, just waiting on my Netgear R7000 to arive to properly test it.

Has anyone else tried, it would save the hassle of messing around with snmp or DMZs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

cisk wrote: »
    Seen his post in the UPC BA thread about the hidden bridging mode page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93743794&postcount=80

I just had a look and i can get to the page and change it into bridging mode, it removes the LAN, DHCP and time tabs in basic which is a good sign, just waiting on my Netgear R7000 to arive to properly test it.

Has anyone else tried, it would save the hassle of messing around with snmp or DMZs.

Reports of dropouts when switched that way m8,

Off topic haven't seen you around in a long time ;)

wiz569 wrote: »
    Reports of dropouts when switched that way m8,

Off topic haven't seen you around in a long time ;)

Ah i see, cheers Wiz, had a feeling i was missing something, I'll see how i fair with it once I'm up and running with the new kit.

Yeah good to see your still tinkering around with tech, we're really spoiled now, gone are the days of messing around with NTL modems to push them to their max :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm currently on the 30mb deal with UPC and want to upgrade to 120mb. This is the router that they are providing. Is it reliable for playing PS4 on? Is there any issues?

The reason for the upgrade is due to lag when someone else in the home is streaming on youtube/netflix.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pmon

I ran the command off mac and the bridge mode came available. Is it possible to revert back for a time while i wait on my new router. I can't airplay from apple tv as the ipaddress isnt within the dhcp..

anyone?

pmon wrote: »
    I ran the command off mac and the bridge mode came available. Is it possible to revert back for a time while i wait on my new router. I can't airplay from apple tv as the ipaddress isnt within the dhcp..

anyone?

Have you tried resetting it using the little pinhole at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

pmon wrote: »

anyone?

What command did you use and did the setting stick? I've had no luck getting the hidden bridge mode menu option to stick. It just resets as soon as I click submit/save.

What command did you use and did the setting stick? I've had no luck getting the hidden bridge mode menu option to stick. It just resets as soon as I click submit/save.

Did you remove the coax first?

sorry got it sorted .. ! posted in the wrong thread I have the 890 and the reset sorted it!

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

sorry i have a different router posted in the wrong thread.

Advertisement