Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

Just recently diagnosed and learning ! Someone asked for a sweet chilli sauce which is gluten free but didn't get an answer, I'm wondering does anyone know if there is one? Also while checking online the blue dragon brand of sweet chilli and mango IS gluten free but the blue dragon sweet chilli ISN'T , I'm still learning but I couldn't see a difference between ingredients apart from obvious addition of mango to the one which is GF? Also I read Schwartz stuff is now not GF anyone know why? Alternatives? I love homemade Indian food - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Hi,

I don't know about the two brands you mentioned. We always use 'Thai Gold' Sweet chilli Sauce. All their sauces and spices are great, they have all the allergens clearly listed.
    We get it in most supermarkets apart from Tesco - our local supervalu (churchtown) has a lot of GF stuff and stocks all the thai gold products.
    http://thai.ie/html/sub_pages/products/sweet_chili_sauce.html

There are definitely a few other brands but as I don't regularly use them I don't know them.

If you're just diagnosed I recommend the coeiliac society of ireland membership. It's expensive but you get a book of Irish available products that don't contain gluten and some good information. It helps you just get used to being coeliac. http://www.coeliac.ie/join_in/member_benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Regarding Schwartz I got a bit concerned as we use that all the time so I'd be interested where you got that info?
    The shake blends are not gluten free for sure (scroll to allergen info) : http://www.schwartz.co.uk/Products/Seasonings-and-Blends/Perfect-Shake/Special-Blends-for-Meat-Fish-and-Poultry/Steakhouse-Pepper.aspx

But I always thought the herbs and spice ones were ok. I'll look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Hello,

Only joined a few days ago to find out more information on Coeliac disease and gluten-free living. It's been great got so much from this sticky thread alone . Anyway in my own searching I found this site which doesn't seem to be listed here so thought I add something to the info after getting so much from the threads.

It's www.glutenfreeworldwide.com seems to be mostly focused on gluten free while travelling but also has some recipes and videos.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Be Free Wraps are outstanding. Only seen them in Tesco so far but they are really good.

Great to be able to have fajitas and burritos again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Any recommendations for good GF beer and where to get it in Dublin - please don't suggest estrella I hate that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

NWheat13 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for good GF beer and where to get it in Dublin - please don't suggest estrella I hate that stuff.

I like Green's Premium Pils. Nicer than Estrlla imo. Molloy's stock it as do Milano's. Not sure which pubs have it.

If you like ale, then GFA is quite nice. same company make lager, GFL, but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cindy11

Hi there,

I met a lady who was working as a volunteer for Irish Coeliac Association. Maybe you can get some ideas or any kind of support for Free
    https://www.coeliac.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you like Mexican food, Cortina's Mexican Restaurant, Dundrum, Dublin have a GF menu. I don't know if they have it advertised but the waiter brought the menu when I enquired what was GF. Lovely lunch and very reasonable. Joel's Restaurant also has a GF menu. Restaurants have become a lot more savvy in recent years regarding GF food, but some do fall down as they are not aware of the cross contamination problem.

I was recently given a present of a pkt of Pure Bred Brown bread rolls, and really I couldn't believe how soft and fluffy they were, on the downside, the white rolls were not as nice.

I find it strange that a lot of GF products are also free of dairy, egg, etc., etc., but as I only have to avoid gluten I always feel I am losing out on dairy when I eat those products so I usually bake instead of buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Do any other coeliacs have the same problem as me? I react to the majority of brands in the stores, only safe ones are Juvela and Glutafin. When I eat out I almost interrogate the staff. I saw a dietician and she said I must be highly sensitive to gluten. I'm not looking for medical advice on this, just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

madmaggie wrote: »
    Do any other coeliacs have the same problem as me? I react to the majority of brands in the stores, only safe ones are Juvela and Glutafin. When I eat out I almost interrogate the staff. I saw a dietician and she said I must be highly sensitive to gluten. I'm not looking for medical advice on this, just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing.
    I find www.coeliacpages.ie brilliant, especially for ideas on where to eat out. She is also on facebook and twitter. You could also message her. HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Many thanks, ladycam, I was getting a bit paranoid about eating out. Bringing the biccies in the handbag is not really the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If you like Mexican food, Cortina's Mexican Restaurant, Dundrum, Dublin have a GF menu. I don't know if they have it advertised but the waiter brought the menu when I enquired what was GF. Lovely lunch and very reasonable. Joel's Restaurant also has a GF menu. Restaurants have become a lot more savvy in recent years regarding GF food, but some do fall down as they are not aware of the cross contamination problem.

I was recently given a present of a pkt of Pure Bred Brown bread rolls, and really I couldn't believe how soft and fluffy they were, on the downside, the white rolls were not as nice.

I find it strange that a lot of GF products are also free of dairy, egg, etc., etc., but as I only have to avoid gluten I always feel I am losing out on dairy when I eat those products so I usually bake instead of buying.

A lot of newly diagnosed coeliacs are lactose intolerant/have other food allergies as a result of their wrecked guts! I'm dairy intolerant on top of CD, it kills me a little when I see milk in something thats gluten free.... crisps especially :(:(:(

We have a tough time sorting through menus, products etc. But producers probably are driven distracted trying to keep us all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I feel like a bit of a fraud posting in here cos I'm not coeliac... but I don't eat wheat so thought I'd share some good stuff I've had lately.

Hands down the best GF pizza was in The Twelve hotel in Barna, Galway. It was delicious! Shame I don't live over there.... The Porterhouse in Dublin do pretty good GF pizza base too, I was really surprised. They also offer GF buns for their burgers (but I haven't tried them yet). And a really tasty Dime bar cheesecake dessert.
    I tried the GF pizza from Firehouse in Ballymun and could barely stomach a slice of it - it was awful. Really.... soggy? Yuck.

Relish cafe in Drogheda (there are two I think) have a good size GF lunch menu - a separate page at the back of the menu. I had french toast - it was pretty OK, more than edible.

I had a lovely lemon drizzle cake from Sticky Fingers Bakery which only do GF foods - I picked it up a food market in Dublin. It was pricey at €8, but really lovely.

For shopping, ALDI has a decent enough GF range now - breads, rolls (surprisingly soft), bap things I've used for burgers, corn flakes, GF porridge oats, a few cakes, and muffins. Everything I've tried has been pretty good.

I tried Tesco's GF Yorkshire Puddings a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't expecting much, but they were tasty! As were the calorific chocolate puddings (they're beside each other in the freezer section).

And finally... I was pleasantly surprised by Odlums quick-bake GF scones
    http://odlums.ie/products/products/quick-range/odlums-quick-bread-mixes/
    They were lovely straight out of the oven, and not bad cold either.

I bake quite a bit as well too, but still trying to work out the best flour alternatives. These brownies were good though (but next time I'd add less flour, and add some raspberries.)
    http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-brownie

Anyway, hope y'all don't mind me hijacking your thread :eek:

I will try that brownie recipe. I recently bought Dove's Farm GF flour and baked their brownies, recipe on the packet. They looked fine when baked but on tasting they were as dry as sawdust and need a ganache or maybe a cream cheese frosting, anything to moisten it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've done a search of the thread but the curry suggestions are usually jars of sauce. Does anyone make gluten free curry from scratch? I've a big batch to make and its easier to clean the kitchen down and do the full batch gluten free rather than separate meals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I've done a search of the thread but the curry suggestions are usually jars of sauce. Does anyone make gluten free curry from scratch? I've a big batch to make and its easier to clean the kitchen down and do the full batch gluten free rather than separate meals!

I make a jar of this Rogan Josh spice mix from Clothes Make the Girl http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/24/homemade-rogan-josh-seasoning/

... and use a couple of spoons of it in this recipe from Paleo Nom Nom http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3214994304/rogan-josh-lamb-stew

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Most curry recipes that solely use spices (rather than pastes) can be used. Simply ensure that you use gluten-free stock cubes and thickeners when required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Thai Gold curry pastes are gluten free and are really good for something out of a jar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lidl have Kelkin GF foods on special this week
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/4863.htm

I really am not fond of Kelkin or Juvela GF foods, but I like the bread and biscuits, porridge and cornflakes that Aldi have at the moment. Its like a gift to eat something GF from the supermarket, and it tastes nice too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I really am not fond of Kelkin or Juvela GF foods, but I like the bread and biscuits, porridge and cornflakes that Aldi have at the moment. Its like a gift to eat something GF from the supermarket, and it tastes nice too!

I was in my local Aldi on Monday and they also had GF lasagne sheets :) Haven't tried them yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I was in my local Aldi on Monday and they also had GF lasagne sheets :) Haven't tried them yet though.

The Aldi GF range really is fantastic - they even had onion rings and bacon fries in recently - I thought I'd never get to taste them again! I buy the porridge, pasta,and multiseed bread as staples. The cornflakes are good too. I love the ginger biscuits but try not to buy them as I can't stop eating them!

I must get the lasagne sheets and make it for the first time in many years - thanks for the tip!

I must get the lasagne sheets and make it for the first time in many years - thanks for the tip!

The lasagne was gorgeous! It's a bit of a faff as you have to boil the sheets first (the last time I made lasagne it was with the normal quick cook stuff that you don't need to pre-cook). However the sheets held together well and didn't stick to each other and the end result was yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyone living in Athlone and Mullingar should check out Hanna's homemade Gluten free bread and cakes, gorgeous, available in Super Valu.

I made Sowan's GF bread from a mix packet the other day, and I'm so impressed. It's soft/dense, kind of like soda bread, and has stayed fresh after being sealed up in the fridge (I just had a sandwich today [Fri] after making it on Wed afternoon and still perfect - very filling too).

From memory it's mainly a combination of brown rice flour, soya flour, and potato flour (and raising agents, not sure if xantham gum in it). You just add 500ml of milk and an egg.

I got it for €1.99 in Aldi before Christmas but just got round to making it.

The lasagne was gorgeous! It's a bit of a faff as you have to boil the sheets first (the last time I made lasagne it was with the normal quick cook stuff that you don't need to pre-cook). However the sheets held together well and didn't stick to each other and the end result was yummy.

Any tips on boiling sheets of lasagne - they always stick together!!

Agreed though, really tasty! Made it this week and it is disappearing quickly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Any tips on boiling sheets of lasagne - they always stick together!!
    I think trick is do them individually, if you have the patience.

I think trick is do them individually, if you have the patience.

These ones didn't stick - that's what really impressed me!

Aldi have GF pizzas coming up in their specials.

• Advertisement

These ones didn't stick - that's what really impressed me!

There goes the diet, Marco's GF Pizza are available in some Super Valu's.

I was full of good intentions last night... then saw these Embrace pizzas on sale in ALDI frozen section - was about €2.90 for Margherita. It was grand - I generally prefer GF pizzas with a much thinner base (Milanos are delicious), but this wasn't bad at all and hit the spot! Pepperoni also available (for €3.50 I think).

candle_wax wrote: »
    I was full of good intentions last night... then saw these Embrace pizzas on sale in ALDI frozen section - was about €2.90 for Margherita. It was grand - I generally prefer GF pizzas with a much thinner base (Milanos are delicious), but this wasn't bad at all and hit the spot! Pepperoni also available (for €3.50 I think).

I haven't tried the pizzas yet but the apple tarts are amazing and are going to do serious damage to my waistline! They also have pancakes and soda bread as new items in the "Has No" range - both good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 angela8915

Anyone in lucan the gluten free goodie is now doing apple tarts.. they are nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

angela8915 wrote: »
    Anyone in lucan the gluten free goodie
    I haven't heard of if. Where is it located? Is a shop or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Can anyone recommend a wheat /gluten. Free cereal bar please?

Can anyone recommend a wheat /gluten. Free cereal bar please?

9 bars are GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goodtooth

Slaygal wrote: »
    Prego's in Ballyowen SC Lucan offer GF Free Pizzas and Pastas. I think I read somewhere that The Coeliac Society approves this restaurant. I'm open to correction.
    Mario's in Ranelagh ( now owned by the same people) are offering the same. :D Pizza is one of the foods I really missed.

The Market Bar in Fade St Dublin 2 offer GF food and it's clearly marked on the menu. The Fish Stew is gorgeous.

The Glutenfreefoodie makes GF Bread and Cakes available in a couple of places around Lucan and Clondalkin.

Genius range make bread that tastes gorgeous, Dunnes stock it.

EcoDirect in Parkwest carry a wide range of GF foods.

Just to clarify, Marios Ranelagh do not serve gluten free pizza. It does serve gluten free penne and all the sauces are guten free. I'm speaking as a staff member, so that's for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Spring Valley Meat shop in Coolock sell lovely GF steak burgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The Aldi GF range really is fantastic - they even had onion rings and bacon fries in recently - I thought I'd never get to taste them again! I buy the porridge, pasta,and multiseed bread as staples. The cornflakes are good too. I love the ginger biscuits but try not to buy them as I can't stop eating them!
    Q

What bolognese sauce do you use?

• Advertisement

What bolognese sauce do you use?

Just make one yourself- a simple sauce with tins of plum tomatoes, garlic, some herbs, salt and pepper won't let you down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cacdit2016

What is a good website for recipes for coeliacs?

Goodfellas are doing GF Pizzas now available in Tescos and nice they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

patmac wrote: »
    Goodfellas are doing GF Pizzas now available in Tescos and nice they are too.

found the base decent it was smothered with cheap cheese though :eek: didnt like :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Can anyone recommend a recipe or a bought brand of Chinese dumpling wrappers or something similar? I'm going to try the rice summer roll wrappers, but have been told they don't have the best texture once steamed.

Also, I tried the M&S gf coffee cake. The flavour was delicious, but the cake left a mealey texture in my mouth. The corn chips are very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abdobal

Thanks that's good information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Anyone know of a nice gluten free bread? all the ones you get in supermarkets taste the same and are not bad toasted but not nice at all for regular sandwiches!
    Be great to be able to get fresh gluten free bread but I've yet to see anywhere doing it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone know of a nice gluten free bread? all the ones you get in supermarkets taste the same and are not bad toasted but not nice at all for regular sandwiches!
    Be great to be able to get fresh gluten free bread but I've yet to see anywhere doing it!

I found the aldi bread the nicest of all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If you want a nice gluten free bread you should try the DS Wholesome bread. It is really nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement