Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Eagle (Clothing)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shcoff

€68 charge on an order that size is roughly what I always pay (I tend to order around the €150-€200 mark each time. Customs have a habit of
    basing the charges on the prices before any discounts from AE.

how decent of them. have you ever queried these charges? any joy?

i havent seen the charges but my brother says there is vat, customs and a handling fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

shcoff wrote: »
    how decent of them. have you ever queried these charges? any joy?

i havent seen the charges but my brother says there is vat, customs and a handling fee.

I believe they base the charge on the value of the goods - what they would cost in Ireland, hence how they also include the shipping in the valuation. I still find the prices competitive after customs charges.
    Earlier this week the polo tops were approx USD 15.90 each - buy two
    and get them for USD19 then there was another 20% with the coupon.
    After shipping and customs it's still better than what I'd get for the same
    price in Ireland.

The handling fee is €6-8 I think, cheaper than what FEDEX or UPS charge and yes they charge VAT and Duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anyone bought off AE recently?

Seems shipping is now a flat rate of $50 international, or have I picked things up wrong somewhere?
    Shipping + Handling

All prices shown are in U.S. dollars:
    Order Subtotal USPS Global Express Mail
    $0 or More $50

Orders are delivered by air to international addresses via United States Postal Service (USPS) Global Express Mail within 5 to 14 business days.

Express shipping to international addresses is not available at this time.

Delivery cannot be made to post office boxes. To track your order, enter your tracking number at usps.com. If the tracking results show that your package was delivered, follow up with your local post office for more information.

http://www.ae.com/web/help/international.jsp?topic=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Anyone bought off AE recently?

Seems shipping is now a flat rate of $50 international, or have I picked things up wrong somewhere?

http://www.ae.com/web/help/international.jsp?topic=2

Yup, very cheeky. It used to be $30 for orders under $100, $40 for over and I think $50 for very large orders. Now, it's a blanket %50 regardless of what your ordering. Therefore, you're more tempted to buy a lot of things to cover the postage, but then you're also more likely to get stung by customs so it's a lose-lose situation:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Cant believe I missed this code, been waiting ages for one to come up.

Anyone else got one?

Has anyone managed to get AE to put a discounted prices invoice on the front of the box.

Got my hands on a once use 40% off code, but dont want to get absolutely murder on customs on the full value of the items.

Can anyone help me with the above?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Hey there, just wondering if there's any codes floating about at the moment?
    :)

Looks like they've stopped giving out discount codes. All the discounts on the regular sites have long since expired and haven't been updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AlanMc123

15% off today only - 56298023

I'm thinking of putting an order in for $270 worth with shipping ($220 with discounts)

Anyone have any idea how much tax would be on that order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

What an absolute rip off for shipping ~ $50 p&p for an order of just under $100. They can keep it as far as I'm concerned!
    I'm tired of paying over the odds for everything & these clowns just bump up the prices and think we will just pay without noticing....
    What a joke:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

I don't think i'll be buying off them again the €50 shipping is a total rip off. To justify the shipping would require a larger purchase which is more likely to get caught by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AlanMc123

I placed my order anyway, and now it says I have to ring them in order for them to process my order?? I'm beginning to think this isnt worth the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bobbyrae

I ordered $161 worth of clothes (including shipping) and I realised that I entered an incorrect email address.Now some random person is going to get my american eagle emails!Will this make a difference to my order?(Must you click an email to confirm the order?etc)

Also how long did it take for your goods to arrive??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bobbyrae wrote: »
    I ordered $161 worth of clothes (including shipping) and I realised that I entered an incorrect email address.Now some random person is going to get my american eagle emails!Will this make a difference to my order?(Must you click an email to confirm the order?etc)

Also how long did it take for your goods to arrive??

You would need to confirm an order through email if the payment wasn't successful. It often happens on first orders. Was your credit charged yet?

If you entered the email wrong, im presuming you cannot log in to the account now?

You should probably ring them and explain the situation. Anytime i have rang them i found them helpful.

Delivery normally takes about 10 days.

Thanks for the reply Davy!
    I can log in as i know the email adress i entered .However it is not mine but very similar to mine which is why i made the mistake!So I am able to check the status of my order and it says "please allow 24 hours before order tracking".So as long as the credit card is accepted I should be Ok?I can always call them in a day or 2 if the card is not accpeted and try and clear up this mess!?
    And i forgot to mention that I rang them last night and the woman i spoke to said that it shouldn't make a difference to the order but i was just worried when i read about all the people whose first orders have been cancelled because of a problem with the credit card!

also i'm just wondering for anyone that got caught by cutoms how much were you charged?(my order was 161$ including shipping)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

20% off code today only 63489125

anyone get stung by customs lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

15% off

How small an order usually passes through customs??
    What do customs charge anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

15% off coupon till 10/10

Also BOGOF on all hoodies :)

Just wondering if anyone has bought anything recently and got charged (or not!) by customs???

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Also BOGOF on all hoodies :)

Cheers

Thanks but its buy one hoodie get one HALF price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thanks but its buy one hoodie get one HALF price!!

Oooops thanks for that. Sorry for any confusion / disappointment :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

25% off today only : 56498352

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Is anybody selling American Eagle hoodies at decent prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Jimbo wrote: »
    25% off today only : 56498352

Jayzus... i just cleared the CC and now you go putting all this temptation in my way. USD is good at moment too!! Doh...

Just watch out though cause AE put full value price on the shipping docket so if you use the 25% off and get the buy one and 50% off another... it may seem cheap but will be mighty pricey on the shipping docket so customs might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

carly_86 wrote: »
    Is anybody selling American Eagle hoodies at decent prices?

ae.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Right so i just ordered 2 hoodie with shipping etc costing me $83 which is about €57 just wondering how long will it take 2 arrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Usually takes about 10 days or so

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Big inner

What a rip off, went through the whole process, picked out some clothes, applied the discount (which was class) only for there to be a $50 delivery charge to Ireland!

Maybe I missed a step because that seems very steep. I work with a company that ships online goods and delivery costs never exceed €30 so i was astonished to see that cost. Also I only ordered a shirt and tee.

Big inner wrote: »
    What a rip off, went through the whole process, picked out some clothes, applied the discount (which was class) only for there to be a $50 delivery charge to Ireland!

Maybe I missed a step because that seems very steep. I work with a company that ships online goods and delivery costs never exceed €30 so i was astonished to see that cost. Also I only ordered a shirt and tee.

Yup, they changed that a while back (think it's discussed earlier in the thread). Used to be $30 for orders up to $100, $40 for orders between $100 and $200 and $50 for orders of $200+.

It's still great value if you are buying several items, but if you are only getting one or two things, then forget it (I usually wait and buy in bulk - ie 2 shirts, 2 jeans, 2 t shirts, a top, and some underwear etc to make it worth my while)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

dotsman wrote: »
    Yup, they changed that a while back (think it's discussed earlier in the thread). Used to be $30 for orders up to $100, $40 for orders between $100 and $200 and $50 for orders of $200+.

It's still great value if you are buying several items, but if you are only getting one or two things, then forget it (I usually wait and buy in bulk - ie 2 shirts, 2 jeans, 2 t shirts, a top, and some underwear etc to make it worth my while)

Ya but if you buy in bulk you will get hit hard by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

cronos wrote: »
    Ya but if you buy in bulk you will get hit hard by customs.

Around 33% of the original merchandise price isn't it?
    I placed an order there earlier and it came out at just under 200 bucks.
    I remain hopeful that the customs officer will be having a 'good' day... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Around 33% of the original merchandise price isn't it?
    I placed an order there earlier and it came out at just under 200 bucks.
    I remain hopeful that the customs officer will be having a 'good' day... :pac:

I have a friend in the US who I was thinking of sending the stuff to. Then he could send it to me. Would that get through customs. Also does anyone know how much delivery to ireland would be about. Lets say on about 5 or 6 items total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

I have a friend in the US who I was thinking of sending the stuff to. Then he could send it to me. Would that get through customs. Also does anyone know how much delivery to ireland would be about. Lets say on about 5 or 6 items total.

Yeah that might work.
    Though I'd tell your friend to keep the package small and slim...

Also, with the delivery charge within the US and the delivery charge your friend would have to pay to Ireland you may just as well chance you arm as customs would nearly be the same price at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

get your friend to send it as "gift" it wont be caught for custom's then .shippin be around 20-25$ id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Big inner wrote: »

€30 = about $45 so not much difference; unless you meant to say $30?

AFAIK ae.com now ship using Fedex, as opposed to previous USPS, so you can be fairly certain of customs charges - the goods will arrive OK and then the Fedex invoice will follow in the post. I could be wrong on this but I do recall this being mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think only way to really save is to buy in bulk, get your 25% discount and your buy one get one half price, get your good dollar rate - then bend over and get it from customs too. Overall you will save a good deal and get some nice clobber:D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

25% off complete range (includes clearance items)

Code: 76845734

Valid today only

WWW.AE.COM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

$50 shipping no matter what your order? They can feck off tbh. Plus you're definitely getting hit for VAT/duty since they only use UPS now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Good God where do I start with this promo and AE.

Im just gonna copy the email I sent to them today as the last part of a back and forth as I can't be arsed re-typin the facts.

They've basically cancelled half my order (all the most discounted items surprise surprise and want me to re-order them at full price now they're miraculously in stock again when there's no sale on) DESPITE having taken money for the full order and not refunded me the difference (I know Ill get em at that price but they're idiots):
    To whom it may concern,

Thank you for your email outlining the current status of my order. I however have a number of issues with your handling of it, and am furthermore not willing to incur additional signifigant expense by calling an international number without guarantee that these issues can even be resolved via phone. They are as follows:

1) I initially made an order on 30 November 2009, amounting to $****, which was paid in full approximately 24 hours later, creating a contract between your company and I. This payment was subsequent to a declined transaction approval on another of my credit cards, so the latest (successful) attempt to pay was made via phone call to an agent (K***** I think) on 12/01 on the number you have provided. I was verbally told that this attempt was successful, but received no confirmation, leaving me unsure of the order status.

2) It transpired days later that several of my ordered items were not in stock despite beingfalsely advertised to the contrary on the AE.com website during the ordering process. Had stock levels been truthfully represented, I wouldn't have ordered said items.

3) The email to which I am replying states: "Please note that you were not charged for any cancelled or backordered items". In truth I was, and to date no attempt has been made to refund the part of my order that was not in stock.

4) Alternatively (according to my online statement, a screenshot of which is attached) multiple attempts have been made by AE to charge me an additional $35.43, as well as an apparently arbritrary $7.31, without any evidence of any refund attempts. Is this double-charging a standard policy of American Eagle? In addition, you've invited me to incur further expense by calling your service line to re-place an order for a single item that I have already paid for. No reference is made as to exactly which item, or how many of my items are now in stock, leaving open the possible requirement for me to re-order each item individually, as they become available. This level of customer service represents very little attention to detail.

I understand that oversights can occur in business, but the numerous issues created by your handling of a reasonably simple order is unforgiveable for a retailer of AE's standing. I expect prompt resolution of these issues or I will be forced out of principle to avail of my right to return my full order as it is delivered. I will additionally seek compensation for any shipping costs incurred should this need transpire.

Thanks in advance for your expected professional handling of my grievances, and I look forward to making many more orders with AE.

Regards,

+353******

To: *********@hotmail.com
    Subject: Order Number: *****

.ExternalClass p{margin-bottom:0;}
    [font=Tahoma, Verdana]Dear AE Shopper,[/font]

Unfortunately, due to the popularity of your backordered item it was unavailable and was cancelled from your order, however, we would like to inform you that the item is now available again. Please note that you were not charged for any cancelled or backordered items. If you would like to replace your order for the item please call 1-888-232-4535 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) and a representative will be happy to assist you.
    [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Thanks for being a part [/font]

I know I know consumer issues -> n all that but I reckon the people wo will be using them should know too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Update on this:

Absolute joke to deal with. AE have basically cancelled the half of my order that was discounted the most, dispatching the most expensive items that are "in stock". They now want me to re-order the 4 cancelled items at full-price, and pay another $50 for shipping too. All this despite having taken the full total for my original order. They claim this is only a "pre-authorization", and that I will be refunded the difference "once the order ships". The order shipped 3 days ago, and I've heard nothing.

Rang my mate earlier whom I told about this offer too, and they're doing something very similar to him.

Avoid at all costs, their "sales" are tantamount to a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 markfitz72

I BOUGHT 2 ITEMS OFF THEM TODAY, I HAVE A 20 PER CENT DISCOUNT CODE IF ANY ONE WANTS TO USE IT, ITS 56871295, AE HAVE SOME GREAT CLOTHES AT GREAT PRICES, HOPE THE 2 ITEMS COME ALRIGHT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 markfitz72

just replying to last thread, clothes arrived today, no customs and no problems, delighted with clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

awhir wrote: »
    get your friend to send it as "gift" it wont be caught for custom's then .shippin be around 20-25$ id say

I don't think gift works either. I was sent a real gift from the US a few years back, it was 2 pair of pants that my mother bought on sale in the US for about $20 each and sent them over. She wanted it to arrive in time for my birthday, so she brought it to the USPS (US Postal Service) and paid extra to send it express. When things are sent via the regular USPS, it sent by the USPS to An Post and typically never checked for customs. But when sent via the USPS express, the USPS subcontracts all European deliveries with the Royal Mail in the UK. At the time these thieves (I can't remember their name, but I think they have changed their name since) not only collected customs, but also added on a very large handling fee of about €20. When the package arrived the delivery man demanded about €70 for the parcel, with no regard for the price actually paid for the items, my wife didn't have any cash on her and he left a slip with a number on it. We tried calling for weeks with no answer, so I had to write them a few letters. About 3-4 months later a delivery man appeared at our door again (good thing it was sent express) with the package requesting the €70 and at that point the wife was so frustrated since my mother had been asking if we got the pants, she paid him. There was such an outcry over this handling fee scam at the time, I believe the handling fee now has a max of a few euros.

The moral of my story is, "gift" doesn't always work, even if it is really a gift and the best option of shipping from the US is regular post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

consultech wrote: »
    Update on this:

Avoid at all costs, their "sales" are tantamount to a scam.

Got to stick up with American Eagle here. I have ordered from them about 10-15 times & never had any major problems. Got a 40% off code which used in combination with the BOGOHO offer I was getting t-shirts from $2.75 each.

As far as I can gather American Eagle pre-authorised the total amount & charged you the amount of the order shipped. It can take a week for the pre authorisation to run out/cancel and be available to spend again. -correct me if I am wrong. (I probably am!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The problem I have with American Eagle "sales" is the cost they indicate on the shipping invoice is exclusive of any reductions for sales and can incur in a massive fee from customs.

basquille -damn! I got a parcel stuck in customs now from American eagle. I paid about 60% of the normal price.

I presume if I ring up customs & send them the correct invoice they will refund me? Or is that wishful thinking!

basquille wrote: »
    The problem I have with American Eagle "sales" is the cost they indicate on the shipping invoice is exclusive of any reductions for sales and can incur in a massive fee from customs.

Is that not customs though? Don't get me wrong, AE could be a bit more helpful and try to reduce your tax bill by stating the value of the clothes is what you paid for them as opposed to what they normally cost. But ultimately, I'd imagine AE would be afraid that this would be seen as tax evasion.

Ultimately, when buying from AE, I take into account the high shipping/customs cost. If it still works out cheaper than buying here (which it always does - by a mile) I go with AE.

Surely it can't be classed as tax evasion. It's just like buying somethig in a shop. If it reduced you pay tax on the reduced price not the full price. But I do see where you coming from. If they declare t-shirts & $3 each customs would probably go ape.

Surely it can't be classed as tax evasion. It's just like buying somethig in a shop. If it reduced you pay tax on the reduced price not the full price. But I do see where you coming from. If they declare t-shirts & $3 each customs would probably go ape.

Don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't classify it as tax evasion, I'm just saying that it is a grey area that depends on the interpretation.

Look at an extreme example: If I was buying something worth a million euro from the states, could I not get around the obvious large customs bill, by asking them to state the value is only €10? Customs have no way of verifying how much I actually paid for it. Therefore the customs declaration is for the actual "value" of the item, and not how much it was sold for. Typically, these are both the same figures, as the amount most people pay pay for an item is the value.

However, in AE's case, they may only charge you €20 for a shirt as part of some special offer, but they are declaring that the "value" of the shirt is actually €40, which is technically the correct figure by the letter of the law.

• Advertisement

Thats crazy, I always thought went importing you pay tax on the price YOU paid not the value of the good. Learn something new every day!

Advertisement