Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking guests not to post wedding photos on social media - thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Gatica wrote: »
    I think that's more the issue of the so-called friends though. I'd be happy to do anything my friends would ask me (maybe not jump of a cliff, but anything realistically normal), if it would make their day better.
    Weddings are not "all about the bride and groom" as some people seem to think. Everyone that turns up to your wedding has made some sort of sacrifice to be there, and most are bored out of their minds. Your vol au vents and chicken a la masterchef are not major draws, and most people are probably attending out of a sense of duty with the hope that at some stage they'll be able to relax and enjoy the day.

As far as I'm concerned it's the duty of everyone to make the day as happy for everyone else - guests to the b & g, and the b & g to make the guests feel comfortable and welcome. If you're going to set out a big list of nitpicking rules because it's "your day" then don't be surprised to hear bitchy comments following you around well into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Gatica

I agree that both sides need to make an effort. Guests make an effort for the B&G, and the B&G try to make it an enjoyable day for their guests.
    I don't see though how requesting not to post photos of the B&G (who may be strangers to many on someone else's FB page) is stifling the guests'
    enjoyment. Is people's enjoyment of a wedding really that tied to posting?

If the request is phrased in a bitchy way, I can imagine the backlash would be bitchy too. However, most people here seem to me to have been reasonable in how they've asked their guests, and it seems that many of the guests (posters here on boards) on those occasions were ok with how they were asked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Not sure if it has been said but I was at the wedding fair over the weekend. THe lad beside us had this App. You and your guests download the app and all the pics they take via the App are loaded onto a server for the B&G to look at. Kind of a cool alternative for the tech savvy guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

hmmm wrote: »
    Too many couples think they are Bradd Pitt and Angelina, and want a wedding which is absolutely "perfect" (whatever that means). I've hated each and every one of those weddings. Asking people not to post photos to Facebook because they may be of "unflattering angles" is typical of that in my book.

Your friends are excited to be at your wedding and some of them might want to be posting things on social media, you communicating a list of nitpicking rules to your guests is going to give you a reputation you're going to carry for a long time.

Wow. Do the friends and family who invite you to their special event know that you :
    a) consider them insufferably vain
    b) always, but always insist that you get what you want
    c) consider even one polite request to be 'nitpicking' and
    d) will threaten to blacken their name all over town if they do make a polite request?

hmmm wrote: »
    Weddings are not "all about the bride and groom" as some people seem to think. Everyone that turns up to your wedding has made some sort of sacrifice to be there, and most are bored out of their minds. Your vol au vents and chicken a la masterchef are not major draws, and most people are probably attending out of a sense of duty with the hope that at some stage they'll be able to relax and enjoy the day.

As far as I'm concerned it's the duty of everyone to make the day as happy for everyone else - guests to the b & g, and the b & g to make the guests feel comfortable and welcome. If you're going to set out a big list of nitpicking rules because it's "your day" then don't be surprised to hear bitchy comments following you around well into the future.
    No. Weddings are all about the bride and groom. When its your turn it will be all about you and your fiance. If your already done then you've had your lot,matey.
    Also, you seem to think your doing the hosts a favour by attending their special event. You must think your pretty important. It was an invitation, dear, not a summons. Go or don't go but don't consider the hosts lucky that you turned up. Its rare to come across such an awful attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Also, you seem to think your doing the hosts a favour by attending their special event.

In fairness if no one turned up it wouldn't be much of a special event would it?

I don't think weddings are about the b&g only, if that's the case then let them elope off alone and suit themselves. Once you start inviting people it becomes about everyone there. It's just good manners to be considerate of your guests.

In fairness if no one turned up it wouldn't be much of a special event would it?

I don't think weddings are about the b&g only, if that's the case then let them elope off alone and suit themselves. Once you start inviting people it becomes about everyone there. It's just good manners to be considerate of your guests.

I think that ,particularly in Ireland, the guests have already been considered, and very well by providing food and drink and entertainment for them.
    Incidentally, a wedding can be a very special event with just the bride and groom and two witnesses picked at random. My grandparents did that, went on to have 9 kids and were no less married then any of the multi hundred guests multi thousands costing modern day affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I spent less than €100 on my wedding 10 years ago, and we are still happily married.

Fred I'm actually starting to think that the chances of your marriage being a real success is inversely related to how much it cost. Mine didn't cost much either 18 years ago and we've muddled along so far despite my being much much too good for Mr Byrne.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Weddings are all about the bride and groom. When its your turn it will be all about you and your fiance. If your already done then you've had your lot,matey.
    A wedding ceremony is all about the bride and groom.
    A wedding reception is just a party, with the bride and groom as hosts. A good host always prioritises their guests.

• Advertisement

I think that ,particularly in Ireland, the guests have already been considered, and very well by providing food and drink and entertainment for them.
    Incidentally, a wedding can be a very special event with just the bride and groom and two witnesses picked at random. My grandparents did that, went on to have 9 kids and were no less married then any of the multi hundred guests multi thousands costing modern day affairs.

I think traditional irish weddings are disgusting vulgar displays of binge drinking, there's no way I would have wanted that for my wedding day.

I eloped and got married in a private ceremony outdoors in a very special place with just two hotel staff as witnesses and a minister. It cost a bit though because of the location!

Big lavish parties are not private events, there's no privacy at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I think it's awful when people post pics of the Bride & Groom on Facebook but not because of unflattering angles or anything like that. I just think it should be up to them to post the first pics, once they've done it then it's fine for everyone to do so. I've been to weddings where the afters people have arrived and others have said "wait 'til you see her" and the reply is "ah, we've already seen her on Facebook".

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I think traditional irish weddings are disgusting vulgar displays of binge drinking

Stereotyping and judgmental much?! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

kkcatlou wrote: »

I'm afraid I find the modern "traditional" Irish wedding very prone to ostentatious overt consumerism obsessed with outdoing the last wedding in your family/social set. The ridiculous current trend for the happy couple to spend hours away from their guests getting photos taken is proof. Why abandon your guests hungry and bored, for hours, in order to get a photographic record of the event, when you could actually be enjoying the day with them?Hiring magicians jugglers and face painters to entertain these guests while you've abandoned them is just showing off. Incidentally a few plates of sambos and snacks would be better appreciated but then thatwould be far too "old fashioned" and guests wouldnt be oohing and aahing at how much you must have spent and how 'different" your wedding is. No, not all modern weddings are like this but a lot are. And it is vulgar.

I'm delighted for you if you've been to one that wasn't. Same format, same music, same food, same binge drinking, same boredom. I've been to one Irish wedding that wasn't the same, it was just a civil ceremony and a restaurant. Every traditional Irish wedding has been the same as every other one I've been at in 20+ years. I knew long ago I'd hate that for my own. People locked out of their heads lurching around to "Is this the way to Amarillo" on a sweaty packed dancefloor, it's not my idea of a special day, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I'm delighted for you if you've been to one that wasn't. Same format, same music, same food, same binge drinking, same boredom. I've been to one Irish wedding that wasn't the same, it was just a civil ceremony and a restaurant. Every traditional Irish wedding has been the same as every other one I've been at in 20+ years. I knew long ago I'd hate that for my own. People locked out of their heads lurching around to "Is this the way to Amarillo" on a sweaty packed dancefloor, it's not my idea of a special day, not at all.

I pity all the poor couples who've forked out a couple of hundred quid a pop to invite you to their weddings to ridicule and belittle them like that!!

Much as I might think a wedding abroad with only 2 witnesses is not for me, I don't think I'd have the balls to ridicule and belittle it the way you have done here to probably 99% of Irish couples who get married!

I pity all the poor couples who've forked out a couple of hundred quid a pop to invite you to their weddings to ridicule and belittle them like that!!

Much as I might think a wedding abroad with only 2 witnesses is not for me, I don't think I'd have the balls to ridicule and belittle it the way you have done here to probably 99% of Irish couples who get married!

Are you disputing what I am saying or just admiring my honesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My wedding must have been awful. We had a free bar and did a Congo around the venue to The Way to Amarillo. Tacktastic. Maybe some of our guests had a good moan about how generic it was afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I think it is overly controlling of the B&G to ask their guests to not post pics of themselves on Facebook. If they don't want their own pic on FB it is fair to ask guests not to post pics of B or G. But guests have to be free to put pics up of themselves if they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think it is overly controlling of the B&G to ask their guests to not post pics of themselves on Facebook. If they don't want their own pic on FB it is fair to ask guests not to post pics of B or G. But guests have to be free to put pics up of themselves if they wish.

i don't think that ever really was the problem. I think it's just the bride and groom photo's really.

lazygal wrote: »
    My wedding must have been awful. We had a free bar and did a Congo around the venue to The Way to Amarillo. Tacktastic. Maybe some of our guests had a good moan about how generic it was afterwards.

Probably great drunken craic, but great drunken craic isn't how I would want to remember a special event in my life.

I'm not moaning about other people's weddings, if people want a vulgar tacky drunken mess for their wedding day they're entitled to it, good luck to them. It just wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Don't worry, most of those poor couples carefully calculated the return in cash gifts on what they paid per guest.

Probably great drunken craic, but great drunken craic isn't how I would want to remember a special event in my life.

I'm not moaning about other people's weddings, if people want a vulgar tacky drunken mess for their wedding day they're entitled to it, good luck to them. It just wouldn't be for me.

What kind of friends do you have that host vulgar, tacky, drunken messy weddings?

lazygal wrote: »
    What kind of friends do you have that host vulgar, tacky, drunken messy weddings?

Irish ones.

Do your friends know what you think of their weddings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really wonder why so many people who seem to really hate weddings spend so much time in the weddings forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Faith wrote: »
    I really wonder why so many people who seem to really hate weddings spend so much time in the weddings forum...

So they can be horrible, judgmental and feel superior to anyone who makes a different choice to them of course!

Nobody is personally ridiculing or belittling anything or anybody. Some posters including myself find certain aspects of modern Irish weddings tacky showy vulgar whatever. Others think its all good fun and even think its romantic. Newsflash! Someone disagrees with you! Relax! Its nothing personal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's a way to disagree without being downright nasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement