Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Try changing to advanced and runner b equal to A

glic83 wrote: »
    Try changing to advanced and runner b equal to A

Nearly sure I've B = A but I'll try the advanced settings later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Don't want to jinx it but I think hdfreaks image is a keeper.Not perfect but working a lot better than openAtv.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Does anyone know how to add a NAS for playing back movies etc on the box? Also is the default media player up to the job or do I need to download something better? Cheers.

This is getting really weird.

On the good dish the channels that were missing work and the channels that worked are gone ???

This is driving me insane, I've never come across anything like this before and I've literally installed hundreds of dishes in my day !!!

The channels that work give a signal of 89% and 60% on the ones that don't work.

On the dish that doesn't work I was getting 0% on the channels that were missing ?? going mental !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

This is getting really weird.

On the good dish the channels that were missing work and the channels that worked are gone ???

This is driving me insane, I've never come across anything like this before and I've literally installed hundreds of dishes in my day !!!

The channels that work give a signal of 89% and 60% on the ones that don't work.

On the dish that doesn't work I was getting 0% on the channels that were missing ?? going mental !!!

Did a rescan last night as a few channels had changed frequency. I have tuner A equal to tuner B and tuner B set to simple single 28.2e. Did an automatic scan with network scan no, clear before yes, tuner A yes and tuner C no. Scanned and picked up 950+ channels.

Irreverent wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to add a NAS for playing back movies etc on the box? Also is the default media player up to the job or do I need to download something better? Cheers.

If you go into setup, system, network, mounts setup, network browser and hit rescan - does you nas appear in a list then? I know when I added the wd tv live this was all that was required and I can play the various files in the media player.

Cheers will try a full scan later.

Don't want to jinx it but I think hdfreaks image is a keeper.Not perfect but working a lot better than openAtv.

Have openatv running well for now, may give hd freaks a go again if it starts acting up. It would appear that the various images are becoming more stable for the os3+

THE ALM wrote: »
    If you go into setup, system, network, mounts setup, network browser and hit rescan - does you nas appear in a list then? I know when I added the wd tv live this was all that was required and I can play the various files in the media player.

Still the same.

Let me explain this again.

The channels that work on one dish don't work on the quad LNB ( I've tried a few LNB's)

The channels that don't work on the quad show 0 signal and the channels that don't work on the other dish show 66% signal but no pic.

Only thing I can think about is that the cables are damaged somewhere but I can't figure out how it could be 3 cables or why different channels work with different dishes , this would mean the cables are fine.

MY god this is frustrating to say the least !

This all happened when I adjusted the other dish with the single LNB to 28.2 which I had actually intended to align to 19 E for my partners German channels.

It couldn't be possible that there is interference between the two ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Channels showing a good signal but no pic could be the wrong satellite. Basic meters, and signal indicators in boxes cant tell which satellite they are seeing. 19 and 28 have common frequencies. You could be trying to watch 28 but the box is seeing 19 and reporting a good signal or vice versa.

Channels showing a good signal but no pic could be the wrong satellite. Basic meters, and signal indicators in boxes cant tell which satellite they are seeing. 19 and 28 have common frequencies. You could be trying to watch 28 but the box is seeing 19 and reporting a good signal or vice versa.

Both dishes were aligned by a loan of a meter from a friend who bought it off of tv trade. Cost I think about 400 quid.

While I was sure I aligned the single lnb dish to 19 E I obviously didn't because both dishes pick up channels the other won't from 28 E. And my other sat box scans 28 E for channels and 0 on 19 so it has to be on 28 E

Cheers, that worked for the Nas mount. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Will the Edision OS3 box behave much like a Sky+ box as in Pause/Rewind, recording programs and series link.

Will the Edision OS3 box behave much like a Sky+ box as in Pause/Rewind, recording programs and series link.

Pause and rewind act the same. Series link is a little different. You just need to find the programme you want to series link in the EPG and set up an autotimer. Its basically the same thing, just slightly less user friendly but by no means hard to do once you've set up one.

Anyone else having problems with recordings stopping half way through episodes? Using hdfreaks image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

with a hard drive installed, and 2 feeds from a dish then yes it will be similar to a sky box, just a word of caution you need to be somewhat savvy with linux boxes to get the best out of this receiver, also have a good read of this thread, this box still has a few flaws, you make sure you know what you are getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Palmyra

with a hard drive installed, and 2 feeds from a dish then yes it will be similar to a sky box, just a word of caution you need to be somewhat savvy with linux boxes to get the best out of this receiver, also have a good read of this thread, this box still has a few flaws, you make sure you know what you are getting into.

When you record a program it records from the point at which you press record, not from the point at which you started watching.
    When you are watching live TV you can pause it but you cannot go back unless you are in catch up mode already so the best way to watch is to record what you want to watch and then watch the recording that way you can fast forward or reverse as you wish.
    Personally I prefer the Sky design but it does not warrant the monthly bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of getting this box as it appeared to have all I needed and I like the idea of it being customisable even if there is a learning curve. I was also hoping to get a box that had an RF outlet from the box to another TV and there is one on the Optimuss OS 3. I was also considering the VU+ Solo2(no RF out) but really I have only picked these boxes as they seemed to have what I wanted, are easily purchased and are very popular and feature full. I would be appericative of any other suggestions but as this is the Optimuss OS 3 thread, maybe not the appropriate thread for one versus the other discussion.

Anyone else having problems with recordings stopping half way through episodes? Using hdfreaks image.

Never had a problem with any recordings although using the openatv image. Do you mean it stops recording through a single program or have you set it up to record a number of episodes and it stop recording them all?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of getting this box as it appeared to have all I needed and I like the idea of it being customisable even if there is a learning curve. I was also hoping to get a box that had an RF outlet from the box to another TV and there is one on the Optimuss OS 3. I was also considering the VU+ Solo2(no RF out) but really I have only picked these boxes as they seemed to have what I wanted, are easily purchased and are very popular and feature full. I would be appericative of any other suggestions but as this is the Optimuss OS 3 thread, maybe not the appropriate thread for one versus the other discussion.

It is a good box and well supported. I am sure reading through this that you have seen that it is not without problems, none of them are by the looks of things.

It does appear however that the images are becoming more stable and problems are not as common with each update seeming to sort out the niggles. I think once they are set up and left alone then they are fairly reliable. (touches wood)

There are loads of plugins, skins, settings that can be downloaded and I think this is were the issues start to appear as at some point one of these will cause a problem. I tend to leave updates now for a couple of weeks and then I will do a factory reset and then flash the latest image onto the box. At the start I was nearly applying updates nightly and was having more problems as a result.

There are loads of boxes out there and a lot will have similar specs so which ever you decide to go with make sure that it is well supported and the images for it are regularly update.

Never had a problem with any recordings although using the openatv image. Do you mean it stops recording through a single program or have you set it up to record a number of episodes and it stop recording them all?

Yeah I had lots of problems with openAtv so I moved to hd freaks which seems to be a lot smoother apart from this one issue. I have a few autotimers set up. Out of 10 or so recordings 3 recordings gave up before the end of the shows. One said duration of recording was nearly half an hour but on pressing play it would only play for a couple of seconds and then kick me back out to the recordings screen. Another recording lasted about 18 mins of 40 before stopping. Very odd. Happens with dvb-t and dvb-s so not a tuner specific issue.

Yeah I had lots of problems with openAtv so I moved to hd freaks which seems to be a lot smoother apart from this one issue. I have a few autotimers set up. Out of 10 or so recordings 3 recordings gave up before the end of the shows. One said duration of recording was nearly half an hour but on pressing play it would only play for a couple of seconds and then kick me back out to the recordings screen. Another recording lasted about 18 mins of 40 before stopping. Very odd. Happens with dvb-t and dvb-s so not a tuner specific issue.

Had this once with one show not recording and the reason for it was that I did an epg search for the program and set the record from here and it turned out that it was a channel version that I could not pick up e.g. there are several channel 4's and not all of them can be viewed. I take it the recordings are not overlapping causing one to stop?

Are you using hdfreaks v5? might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Had a problem last night so had to reflash my box. All set up now but the hard drive is giving issues. It shows up in the list in the storage device menu and I can access it via FTP but when I try to choose it as a download location for crossepg it's not showing up in the list. I tried to initialise it and got this error

2015-05-18%2018.33.47.jpg

Anyone know what that means?

Yeah using hdf v5, not overlapping no, I can't see any reason for it other than the hard drive failing maybe. All the fails were on free channels that I do have so don't think that's it either. If you do try hdf v5 let me know how you get on. I haven't seen anyone else with this problem so it could just be my hard drive or something.

This problem aside it seems like a very good image. Similar to openAtv but not as sluggish and haven't had any random green screens yet either. Was having them all the time on openatv

superg wrote: »
    Had a problem last night so had to reflash my box. All set up now but the hard drive is giving issues. It shows up in the list in the storage device menu and I can access it via FTP but when I try to choose it as a download location for crossepg it's not showing up in the list. I tried to initialise it and got this error

2015-05-18%2018.33.47.jpg

Anyone know what that means?

Got this error as well after reflashing although it was for the usb. Tried a couple of different ones without success. Ended up putting in the orginal, turning the box off and on again and it appeared back in the list working as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I was still getting it so I formatted the drive to ext4 on my pc, put it back in and all ok now. Must be a problem with that image I flashed, the latest OpenATV 5. I'd have left it as NTFS but it won't let me set up time shift unless its in ext format.

superg wrote: »
    I was still getting it so I formatted the drive to ext4 on my pc, put it back in and all ok now. Must be a problem with that image I flashed, the latest OpenATV 5. I'd have left it as NTFS but it won't let me set up time shift unless its in ext format.

I got this message too when installing the latest Openatv from their website. I re-flashed with the latest download from Freetv.ie and that solved the problem. Definitely a problem with that latest 5.0 image. Otherwise box is running great from that stable freetv image.

Anyone tried hdf 5.1 image yet? Might try it tonight and see how I get on.

Also does anyone know is there a way to label the harddive RECORD as some images require without taking the hard drive out and formatting with the likes of paragon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anyone tried hdf 5.1 image yet? Might try it tonight and see how I get on.

Also does anyone know is there a way to label the harddive RECORD as some images require without taking the hard drive out and formatting with the likes of paragon?

I used this command on the Alien 2 with HDMU so it should work on the Edision

tune2fs -L RECORD /dev/sdxy

where sdxy is the partition you wish to rename (usually sda1).
    Use the command

fdisk -l to find that out.

It wont ovewrite your data on the drive

Advertisement