Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commissioner Callinan resigns with immediate effect

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭underachieved

charlie14 wrote: »
    The fact that the penalty points system has been reformed isn`t really the point as far as the general public are concerned. It`s that it didn`t happen because of some computer glitc .It happened because there were nods and winks and the favoured got preferential treatment, and the culture of nods winks and preferential treatment they are sick and tired off.

They are looking at the penalty points, Boylan, and now Bailey and then looking at the treatment that McCabe and Wilson got from their own colleagues for trying to highlight mistakes internally. Can you blame them for thinking there is something rotten at the core?

Personally I have no problem recognising that Boylan and the Bailey cases are the doings of rogue individuals, (the penalty points is a different matter as I think I`ve made clear above), but in reality, the only people who can oust these rogue individuals are gardai themselves before they blow up into another mess like these cases have become.
    Unfortunately the treatment of McCabe and Wilson have recieved from all ranks doesn`t auger well for that to happen

Think we're just going over the same ground here my friend.

1. The penalty points issue was a disaster and is a prime example of a idiots guide to reform. Who in their right mind brought in legislation allowing individual members of a police force of a certain rank to cancel tickets?? Those people are idiots. Short sighted and know nothing of policing.

1b. What absolute clowns decided that the cancelling officer did not have to make exacting and immaculate records to state the reasons for the cancellation BEFORE it could be cancelled so these could be reviewed.

Because of 1b even the most legitimate cancellations are now open to suspicion.

Theses people you will find are not AGS. They somehow forgot that gardai are human and can be just as stupid and foolish as anyone.

2. The bailey and boylan cases are both ongoing and the guilt and or innocence of anyone involved in any way with those cases is undecided. Except bailey of course.

3. Mary lynch i am sorry to say is wrong. It is terrible that she was a victim of crime but that is not ags fault. Bad people are a product of society not the police

The fact the offender went guilty in this case unexpectidly is not the ags fault. If its the case that every witness/injured party goes to court every day, the system collapses and the ip has absolutely no bearing on bail in a case like that. None good bad or indifferent. No say, no input, none. Thats the system

I will disagree with you. The entire point of all this is reform. If it isn't then none of this matters and the same problems from 89 smithick and the 90s morris and bailey reoccur. Reform and modernisation is good for AGS. And based on AGS track record both will be accepted with open arms. All members of AGS want is practical solutions that make sense so we can provide a better service.

Headlines and empty promises are politicians playground not policemen. Hopefully you and other people will start to listen to us instead of the journos. I'd point you to the gra and agsi congress reports as a good place to start learning about the actual things needed to reform the police.

1977 is a long time waiting for proper reform and an independent policing board.

Just a quick edit I have only heard one side of the story with regards how McCabe and Wilson were treated by their immediate colleagues and its theres. In the interests of fairness to everyone I won't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From the sounds of it you won't learn of them for another 25 years anyway. Try not to make too many judgements before then.

I wouldn`t be to sure about that. I`ve a feeling we`re all due to learn a lot more much sooner than that. I hope whats coming down the road gives you the validation for all your beliefs, because being on a public forum and stating you didn`t give a toss what the public thinks, it would appear that validation is what you are looking for from here and not honest debate.
    Bye Bye now and take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

charlie14 wrote: »
    I wouldn`t be to sure about that. I`ve a feeling we`re all due to learn a lot more much sooner than that. I hope whats coming down the road gives you the validation for all your beliefs, because being on a public forum and stating you didn`t give a toss what the public thinks, it would appear that validation is what you are looking for from here and not honest debate.
    Bye Bye now and take care.

I have debated every point you have raised and explained myself thoroughly with reference to specific examples. If you want to go on believing media spin over fact then you are a prime example of why I shouldn't care what the general public thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Think we're just going over the same ground here my friend.

1. The penalty points issue was a disaster and is a prime example of a idiots guide to reform. Who in their right mind brought in legislation allowing individual members of a police force of a certain rank to cancel tickets?? Those people are idiots. Short sighted and know nothing of policing.

1b. What absolute clowns decided that the cancelling officer did not have to make exacting and immaculate records to state the reasons for the cancellation BEFORE it could be cancelled so these could be reviewed.

Because of 1b even the most legitimate cancellations are now open to suspicion.

Theses people you will find are not AGS. They somehow forgot that gardai are human and can be just as stupid and foolish as anyone.

2. The bailey and boylan cases are both ongoing and the guilt and or innocence of anyone involved in any way with those cases is undecided. Except bailey of course.

3. Mary lynch i am sorry to say is wrong. It is terrible that she was a victim of crime but that is not ags fault. Bad people are a product of society not the police

The fact the offender went guilty in this case unexpectidly is not the ags fault. If its the case that every witness/injured party goes to court every day, the system collapses and the ip has absolutely no bearing on bail in a case like that. None good bad or indifferent. No say, no input, none. Thats the system

I will disagree with you. The entire point of all this is reform. If it isn't then none of this matters and the same problems from 89 smithick and the 90s morris and bailey reoccur. Reform and modernisation is good for AGS. And based on AGS track record both will be accepted with open arms. All members of AGS want is practical solutions that make sense so we can provide a better service.

Headlines and empty promises are politicians playground not policemen. Hopefully you and other people will start to listen to us instead of the journos. I'd point you to the gra and agsi congress reports as a good place to start learning about the actual things needed to reform the police.

1977 is a long time waiting for proper reform and an independent policing board.

Just a quick edit I have only heard one side of the story with regards how McCabe and Wilson were treated by their immediate colleagues and its theres. In the interests of fairness to everyone I won't comment on it.

I agree that we are going around in circles here. You have your opinion which you have clearly stated as to what needs to change, as I have hopefully stated mine. We could debate this until the cows come home, but i cannot see it making a lot of difference, so I`ll wish you well and hope for everyones sake that once the present debacles are sorted real lessons will be learned.

Good luck and mind yourself out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Interesting article in today's Irish Indo regarding results of a Public poll on whether the new AGS Commissioner should be recruited from outside AGS.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/twothirds-want-next-garda-chief-from-outside-force-30340964.html

I hope the powers that be go with an external candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

kravmaga wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Irish Indo regarding results of a Public poll on whether the new AGS Commissioner should be recruited from outside AGS.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/twothirds-want-next-garda-chief-from-outside-force-30340964.html

I hope the powers that be go with an external candidate.

I believe that there is a lot interest in the post from officers in the Zimbabwean police.

Advertisement