Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

KoolKid wrote: »
    From an installer you are spot on there. People aren't told there is any other options. Even if they wan't GSM as a second paid option they are not told there are cheaper options with massively superior poll times as you mentioned earlier.
    Not to mention HKCs service was severely disrupted for long periods again today.

And I think they know it, hence the good time to sell.

I agree here 100%. I don't get the argument that you cant sell competing products.Every retailer, wholesaler & trade in the country do it.
    Regardless of the industry in question,I would be very suspicious of any individual or company who are only interested in selling me what they want.
    If Harvey Normans sold only one brand their shops would be empty I'd imagine.

Again thats the professional way to go. Unfortunately there are also company's/individuals whose experience is limited to one or 2 systems & they are not willing to do anything else.
    I regularly come across jobs being refused because the customer won't buy HKC.

A very good example.
    However the thing is the security industry is not that brand orientated from the end users perspective . In 30 years I could count on my hands how many times a customer has said to me they want a particular system.
    Most are looking for more information and guidance.

Yes, I had several calls from customers whose systems had gone off line about 2am yesterday morning. Do you happen to know what actually happened ? I phoned the HKC help desk and got this story about a network failure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, I had several calls from customers whose systems had gone off line about 2am yesterday morning. Do you happen to know what actually happened ? I phoned the HKC help desk and got this story about a network failure.

The second outage in recent weeks I believe. HKC were blaming the networks.However I haven't had or heard of any issues with other sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

The second outage in recent weeks I believe. HKC were blaming the networks.However I haven't had or heard of any issues with other sims.

In other words you are accusing HKC of telling lies is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cdev

I have a HKC GSM-Q with a meteor sim and it went offline in the early hours of yesterday morning so a network failure looks plausible

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shouldn't it continue to work over wifi, even if the GSM network is down?

If both wifi (really your wired broadband) and GSM/3G go down, then it is more likely an issue on HKC's side. Maybe their network provider, but then they should be using dual, redundant providers.

BTW Not complaining, even the very biggest companies with massive resources like Amazon have the odd booboo. Amazons outage seemed like it took out half the internet! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

But HKCs Securecom use international Sims dont they?
    So unless every mobile network was down at the same time it should not be an issue.:confused:

But HKCs Securecom use international Sims dont they?
    So unless every mobile network was down at the same time it should not be an issue.:confused:

Tell you what, why don't you ring technical support tomorrow in HKC and discuss it with them?
    That is if they take your call :D:D:D

For someone who demonstrates such vile for a company you certainly keep mentioning them.

They always had that arrogance about them & the attitude to backward compatibility was to upgrade, upgrade upgrade.
    My last straw was the contempt they treated Astec customers with when they bought that brand.
    We might be seeing that come full circle after recent events.

Yep, fair point about Astec. HKC bought the company, closed it down and destroyed all the spare parts so they effectively created a market that they knew would most likely go to themselves. Some installers got into big strife over it tho, but you are right, it was contempt.

You would have to have a grudging admiration for the marketing idea tho

They also had a good system in the Fusion that they could have marketed as a bridge between the 2 systems but they chose not to.
    They also could have incorporated the Astec 2 wire technology into their panel zones in the way GSD did. This could also have given a lot of options for integration & phased upgrading and retro fitting.

But they were never big on backward compatibility unfortunately.

They also had a good system in the Fusion that they could have marketed as a bridge between the 2 systems but they chose not to.
    They also could have incorporated the Astec 2 wire technology into their panel zones in the way GSD did. This could also have given a lot of options for integration & phased upgrading and retro fitting.

But they were never big on backward compatibility unfortunately.

I forgot about the Fusion, that had real prospects but never had a chance to get going properly. Anyway at that stage I was using the Aritech CS250/350/450 and the Galaxy stuff. Then AD Gardiner disappeared and with it Galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

They always had that arrogance about them & the attitude to backward compatibility was to upgrade, upgrade upgrade.
    My last straw was the contempt they treated Astec customers with when they bought that brand.
    We might be seeing that come full circle after recent events.

Just wondering do you think Astec would still be around if HKC hadn't bought them ? From what i heard they only had weeks before the company went bust. I wonder if mr Anderson approached HKC. Astec had a good sensor head but thats it. Astec closed approach of 2 wire was interesting but failed . GSD have adjusted thier panel to panel to take over astec systems which again is interesting but it like flogging a dead horse.

Upgrading is a part of life and to find upgrading arrogant is backwards IMO.

No one can predict how markets will dictate how any company comes or goes.
    Aritech in years gone by had the market share.
    Itec before that.
    Homegurd /Scope were in houses everywhere.
    Times change, needs change and companies change and come and go.
    Aritech was bought out and moved on.
    Astec was bought out.
    GE was then bought by UTC
    Europlex to Siemens, Siemens to Vanderbilt
    ACT to Vanderbilt

Getting upset for your love of a brand that's going to come and go is just crazy.

No one can predict how markets will dictate how any company comes or goes.
    Aritech in years gone by had the market share.
    Itec before that.
    Homegurd /Scope were in houses everywhere.
    Times change, needs change and companies change and come and go.
    Aritech was bought out and moved on.
    Astec was bought out.
    GE was then bought by UTC
    Europlex to Siemens, Siemens to Vanderbilt
    ACT to Vanderbilt

Getting upset for your love of a brand that's going to come and go is just crazy.

Not going crazy at all. Simple stating you call HKC arrogant for buying out Astec. I can use the same logic and apply that Vanderbilt buying ACT. Product and support is gone to sh1t. I dont call them arrogant. Its business . I do my research and move to another Access control provider if im not getting the product or support anymore. Like you did with Astec.

There nothing arrogant about a purchase or acquisition of a company.
    It's was the refusal of any support for the company /product /brand that they had purchased.
    Support was dropped, parts were dropped without end of life notices and warranties were not honoured on existing equipment installed.
    You compare it to the purchases like Europlex to Siemens to Vanderbilt. The transfer there was the example of how it should be done.
    Support was there all the way. I can still get support support for Europlex from Vanderbilt.
    They even licence their equipment to use competitors wireless (Visonic) to offer continued support to older systems instead of the forced upgrade option.
    Couldn't imagine HKC offering that option.
    But sure love is blind so that's not important.

stuartkee wrote: »
    Just wondering do you think Astec would still be around if HKC hadn't bought them ? From what i heard they only had weeks before the company went bust. I wonder if mr Anderson approached HKC. Astec had a good sensor head but thats it. Astec closed approach of 2 wire was interesting but failed . GSD have adjusted thier panel to panel to take over astec systems which again is interesting but it like flogging a dead horse.

Upgrading is a part of life and to find upgrading arrogant is backwards IMO.

It was well flagged that Astec were about to go bang anyway before HKC took them over. HKC wanted the technology associated with their inertia shock sensor, had Astec actually gone then that technology may have not been available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Hi kub do you know if the slimline inertia sensor hkc brought out around that time was based on the astec sensors? if so then it is crap anyway as you have to give them a good old bang to get an activation, really terrible on pulse detection.

Hi kub do you know if the slimline inertia sensor hkc brought out around that time was based on the astec sensors? if so then it is crap anyway as you have to give them a good old bang to get an activation, really terrible on pulse detection.

AFAIK they are the models alright, around 20 odd years ago Astec had a universal inertia sensor and it was brilliant so much so i still have a few systems out there, that still have them in situ.

I agree with you, you would need a sledge hammer to set them off, it is recommended though that you adjust your pulse and gross settings to make them more sensitive.

Issues with HKC Securecom service again this morning. That's a few times since the sale of HKC. Some are wondering if there is any connection. (no pun intended ðŸ˜)

Issues with HKC Securecom service again this morning. That's a few times since the sale of HKC. Some are wondering if there is any connection. (no pun intended ðŸ˜)

Sorry Where did you hear this ? Im actually in HKC talking to Stephen and nothing is wrong or any outages . Proof Please or remove that statemenet.

On the FB page again. Your over there yourself aren't you?

• Advertisement

On the FB page again. Your over there yourself aren't you?

What one installer had a problem with his own alarm ?? Hardly an outage. :D

Where did I say outage?
    The installer didn't seem to it was his issue.
    Would you not agree there's been a few issues recently though

Issues with HKC Securecom service again this morning.

The Service was up and running.
    Where did I say outage?
    The installer didn't seem to it was his issue.
    Would you not agree there's been a few issues recently though

Agreed sure i posted it on the FB group.

Issues with HKC Securecom service again this morning. That's a few times since the sale of HKC. Some are wondering if there is any connection. (no pun intended

All jokes aside but, whatever little issues Securecomms provider had last week is not a touch on all those poor souls out there that follow your Free advice in the event of a power cut :D:D:D

Same old sales speel.
    All those free apps worked fine. They are also capable of notifying the customers in a few minutes in the event of a comms loss.
    Can you explain what the events would be on your paid service in the event of a GSM jammer being used and then the power being cut?

Same old sales speel.
    All those free apps worked fine. They are also capable of notifying the customers in a few minutes in the event of a comms loss.
    Can you explain what the events would be on your paid service in the event of a GSM jammer being used and then the power being cut?

Well now, for the Great HKC equipment I install, you are correct, they might require that extra bit of kit alright but they sure as hell won't need it for the stuff you recommend.
    Just a power cut and bang.........the system is no longer capable of transmitting actual alarm activations.
    Tell me as i am curious, do you even bother putting batteries in these systems or even SAB's.
    Because you might as well not bother considering how vulnerable your recommendation is.

Do you even fill out the battery charging voltage, the amps and the milli amps?

What is the point, sur the system is no longer capable of sending out the important and vital notifications when the power is down.

Now also prey tell, how often do you have to go out to people who have one of your options and who's systems cannot automatically reconnect to routers after power cuts?
    Or indeed what about the ones whose monitoring stations ring them in the middle of the night just because the mobile phone cell in their neighbourhood reset?

No doubt you will claim you have no idea what i am referring to :D:D:D

Again you seem purely interested in the personal attacks on people to avoid the questions.
    I won't attack your business practices I'll just stick to the facts and ask the questions again that you don't answer.
    An awful lot of those paid for services were without any service or notifications for a long period of time last week. This wasn't the first time either.
    The free services you refer to all works fine during this issue. Not the first either as you know.
    These free services will report network down in the event of a power cut. Network down is reported in a matter of minutes not 90 minutes or 5 hours like some paid services.
    If power is cut /network is lost after an alarm event or during entry timer alarm events are instantly reported.
    Our monitoring service also avails of this fast polling. Monitoring customers can be notified within 15 minutes of comms down (not 90 minutes or 5 hours). When power or network coverage returns so does the polling so the customer, the company and the monitoring station know comms is up.
    Likewise with self monitoring.
    Again sticking to the facts.
    On this paid service what would happen if a GSM jammer was used and then the power was cut?
    Would the customer be notified straighaway or after 5 hours when the slow polling fails.

Again you seem purely interested in the personal attacks on people to avoid the questions.
    I won't attack your business practices I'll just stick to the facts and ask the questions again that you don't answer.
    An awful lot of those paid for services were without any service or notifications for a long period of time last week. This wasn't the first time either.
    The free services you refer to all works fine during this issue. Not the first either as you know.
    These free services will report network down in the event of a power cut. Network down is reported in a matter of minutes not 90 minutes or 5 hours like some paid services.
    If power is cut /network is lost after an alarm event or during entry timer alarm events are instantly reported.
    Our monitoring service also avails of this fast polling. Monitoring customers can be notified within 15 minutes of comms down (not 90 minutes or 5 hours). When power or network coverage returns so does the polling so the customer, the company and the monitoring station know comms is up.
    Likewise with self monitoring.
    Again sticking to the facts.
    On this paid service what would happen if a GSM jammer was used and then the power was cut?
    Would the customer be notified straighaway or after 5 hours when the slow polling fails.

And off you go again.

Facts are indeed necessary to stick to.

You claim you give people options.

IT is very strange so that you have so much misinformation with regard to the Securecomm providers issue last week.

So your facts there are downright wrong.

Therefore if you did, as you claim give people all the options when specifying a system then you would know the actual facts here, which you don't as you are clearly demonstrating.

There is a big difference between someone receiving a Network down signal than a Mains fault.

Therefore that paid for service which you keep harping on about is a lot more important than your Free.

The bottom line is THE FREE OPTIONS WHICH YOU KEEP HARPING ON ABOUT ARE INCAPABLE OF TRANSMITTING ALARM SIGNALS AFTER THERE IS AN ELECTRICAL FAILURE.
    Or EVEN IF A CHILD UNPLUGS A ROUTER.
    Or IF GRANNY UNPLUGS THE ROUTER TO PLUG IN THE HOOVER.

The proper security equipment that I recommend CAN TRANSMIT ALARM SIGNALS DURING A POWER CUT and can ALSO SPECIFICALLY TELL THE CLIENT THAT THERE IS A MAINS FAILURE as opposed to your NETWORK DOWN, which could be anything.
    Or as another poster alluded too, people would have to ' get into a car and go home or ring a neighbour to check ' with your FREE.
    But with mine they can relax, knowing that I and guys like me have installed a proper security system that is capable of informing them of what is going on with their systems at all times.

Now I hope to God that you are not seriously telling us that you have clients out there connected through routers solely for professional monitoring.

Again you do need to update your information with regard to that subscription service you have so many issues with.

Your approach to this is all wrong. You just seem intent with having a row and are more intent on attacking me and my business practices. Yet you fill these jibes with and innuendo with comments like
    THE SYSTEM YOU INSTALL HAS XYZ PROBLEMS.
    We install and maintain all makes of systems so if you want to continue attacks at least post some factual information.
    All monitored alarms we install use other paths with IP as a backup with quicker polling
    Everyone here has been well informed about the differences between free and paid options with apps.
    Everyone I survey gets it all explained to them face to face and they choose what system they want and what services they want and what they want to pay for and what they don't.
    What people here aren't being told is the question you won't answer.
    With this paid for service with 5 hours polling (or 90 minutes if you pay more) what happens if a GSM jammer is used and the power is cut?
    As you are so eager for others to point out the vulnerabilities of the systems they recommend I'm sure you will be equally as eager to do the same.

• Advertisement

Your approach to this is all wrong. You just seem intent with having a row and are more intent on attacking me and my business practices. Yet you fill these jibes with and innuendo with comments like
    THE SYSTEM YOU INSTALL HAS XYZ PROBLEMS.

My approach to this is all wrong.........and it is you are claiming that it is me that is getting personal. You might reflect on that please.

No I am not at intent on having a row, to have a row one needs to be rattled and upset, I am neither and have been neither in writing all my responses to you.
    I would classify this as a discussion, this is what this forum is all about.

See KoolKid, I can only go by what you post here on this forum and I am only stating fact.

You must know and indeed you can always check your own responses, but your recommendations to posters looking for systems is your typical 2 manufacturers that have Free notifications and you warn them about subscriptions ' for the life time of the system ' ( I am still awaiting an answer on what that means exactly, by the way ).

So you tell the posters the manufacturers your company uses.

You tell the posters Free.

But you do not explain to posters the implications of Free.
    The limitations of Free.
    The weakness's of Free

We are both in the security business and I would not be happy with that.

We install and maintain all makes of systems so if you want to continue attacks at least post some factual information.

Well based on your posts here on boards those manufacturers are Vanderbilt and GSD but never HKC.

So it is safe to assume that as you stated those in your posts that it is indeed factual information

All monitored alarms we install use other paths with IP as a backup with quicker polling
    Everyone here has been well informed about the differences between free and paid options with apps.

Still though, are you using customers routers as the sole communication path to central stations ?
    See you seem to care about polling times an awful lot, it seems to be a huge concern to you.
    It is not to me see, we use IP communication to Central Stations also utilising 1 primary and 3 back up pathways.
    Surely at this stage all installers are utilising IP protocol, I am surprised you felt you needed to even mention that, second nature at this stage I would have assumed.

Apps, where did that come from?
    Best not to go there, I can recall your own prediction about having to pay for the HKC one.
    Anyway that prediction did not go too well.
    I wonder how many downloads they have now. There must be thousands.

Everyone I survey gets it all explained to them face to face and they choose what system they want and what services they want and what they want to pay for and what they don't.

Well every premises I survey, I explain what I am proposing to the potential client.
    I explain the implications of Free and well they always go with my professional opinion.
    See in a domestic installation and with the HKC system I would be recommending then we do not have to improvise like one may have to do with other manufacturers.

What people here aren't being told is the question you won't answer.
    With this paid for service with 5 hours polling (or 90 minutes if you pay more) what happens if a GSM jammer is used and the power is cut?
    As you are so eager for others to point out the vulnerabilities of the systems they recommend I'm sure you will be equally as eager to do the same.

People haven't being told ? What are we addressing, the masses ?

First off anyway I have yet to encounter a jammer being used on any system that we have installed.
    Neither have i received any reports of same.

However, my concern is on my customer, their property and possessions as it should be of course.

Therefore if the risk suggests that a jammer may be used i therefore do not rely soley on routers and GSM networks to notify central stations of activation's.

Hence polling times do not concern me, as I will have the best of equipment on that site that will transmit alarm activations in all conditions, so.

If the power is off and if someone uses a jammer.

My system will still get a signal out.

That is what the standards are all about see.

You know the risk assessment that you fill out, well that is what that is about.

Oh and by the way, best not to assume anything about me.

That is a bit too personal.

But anyway as I said previously the bare facts here are your Free is incapable of transmitting alarm activations in the event of a power cut.

Mine can.

Advertisement