Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Election Candidates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

mansize wrote: »
    In fairness Wex, Howlin is keeping Wex hospital as main hospital in SE over Waterford.

He's worth a lot to Wex in gov

He is in his knob. I always gave him my 1 or 2. I won't give him a scratch this time around, no chance, labour?? What would he know about labour? I'd sooner give my vote to Johnny Mythen and he's a complete tool, the fcuker can't even spell, have a look at his FB posts if you're in need of a midweek laugh..

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Even worse STB, was the attitude of Labour's top dogs to the plight of their constituency, the contempt shown by the likes of Burton, Kelly, Rabbitte, White, et al to the situation of the less well off, was an eye opener for me. We expect contempt for the "lower" classes from the likes of Fine Gael and Renua, well known for their connections with big business and the monied class but Labour was the refuge of the worker. Where does the worker go now? FF? not while the likes of Martin and O'Dea are still there. SF?, still a bit wary of some of the candidates. Social Democrats?, apart from the leadership, very disappointed with the calibre of candidates, I said at the outset that it would be a mistake to recruit cast offs and malcontents from the other parties but that seems to be exactly what is happening, little new blood. That leaves Independents and the fringe parties like PBP, so not exactly spoilt for choice.
    One thing I am certain of, returning FG to government will be an unmitigated disaster for the working man, we have already seen the rape of our public services and the destruction of the social fabric. Returning FG will mean the total dismantlement of our public health service, privatisation of our water and transportation services and the establishment of a virtual serfdom in our country, the seeds are already being sown. My advice would be, once you have cast your vote for your preferred candidates, leave the rest of your paper blank. Even casting a lower preference for FG/Lab gives them an edge as they will have enough support from party diehards to stay in the race until your lower preference counts. If you don't want them in power then don't vote for them at any level, simples.

Spot on. There's no way I'm going down the sheet like I used to. I'm going to be in the, non transferable votes category this time around and Howlin ain't going to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 imlostatsea

Have to say, I am looking forward to voting in this election as it will be my 2nd time being able to vote in a GE and also the first time I'm more aware of the impact upon this country as last time I was in college and still under mammy n daddy roof. I have to say my family would be supporters of Labour over the generations but I cannot say I am swayed by them and have also seen a distaste grow for them within members of my family who would have voted for them because they were true labour supporters. I have spent all my adult life in recession times and while some say there is a recovery the same is not felt by me or my group of close knit friends who are now scattered across the world. I have no prospect of getting a mortgage unless i go 50/50 with another person. The cost of rent I pay is nearly twice what I would pay on mortage repayments for the same house I live in. No to mention the increase in student fees, being cut in sicial welfare because I was under 25 (after I finished college) but I still had all the bills that a 26 year old had. Utilities dont give discounts to under 25... Not to mention the issue with our healthcare system, our education infrastructure, etc but also the fact I had no say in a debt to be paid for the rest of my life, that was not caused by me or my generation but will be paying for it long after the people who caused it will be gone.
    I am excited at voting but disappointed at the quality of the candidates that I have to choose from. I have only ever met 1 in person and that was Kehoe when he brought our school on a tour around the daíl. I thought he would have held alot more potential but he was the biggest sell out. Aoife Byrne I felt only got the nod from FF because of quotas. Howlin was great and had the moral in the right place but could have done so much more for the country with the power he had instead he decided he valued FG more then his voters. I did vote Howlin last time. He let me down.
    Wallace will most likely keep his seat although I dont feel independants get the opportunity to make the impact the people who vote for them would like. I will most likely go Kelly Wallace Carthy. Only reason for actually going for independants this time round is 1 independant has more power then a whole party if they become part of a coalition and with the way people are feeling across the country it could be a real possibilty this time round with the bigger parties trying to make up lost seats and when their old reliables no longer exists in sufficient numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

FG vote imploded in 2007, FF in 2011 hopefully now it's Labour's turn. If it doesn't I can see Howlin being returned along with Keogh, Wallace, Browne ( because of the auld lad ). 5th seat up for grabs between D'arcy and Malcolm Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

jca wrote: »
    He is in his knob. I always gave him my 1 or 2. I won't give him a scratch this time around, no chance, labour?? What would he know about labour? I'd sooner give my vote to Johnny Mythen and he's a complete tool, the fcuker can't even spell, have a look at his FB posts if you're in need of a midweek laugh..

Nothing to Howlin for me this time, Wexford is left in the dark ages despite have a "Minister" from the town. Nationally Labour has told nothing but lies since getting into government last time. There has been little or no Job creation in Wexford despite having one of the most prominent ministers in the country from Wexford town. Wexford hospital is not a major hospital, you need any procedure you go to Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Sure put Howlin in there as well...small wonder the county is the way it is. With voters like you these clowns are laughing all the way to their pensions.

I went to one of these men last year and got a positive result so that is why I will vote for them. Never voted labour in my life.

Whether you like it or not FG are going to be in power in the next Dail along with more than likely FF. Also location comes into play and some of these live near me. These guys all pay their taxes as well.

Wouldn't be left leaning so sue me.

I went to one of these men last year and got a positive result so that is why I will vote for them. Never voted labour in my life.

Whether you like it or not FG are going to be in power in the next Dail along with more than likely FF. Also location comes into play and some of these live near me. These guys all pay their taxes as well.

Wouldn't be left leaning so sue me.

Dairy farmer by any chance? Party political broadcast on behalf of FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Heard the magic words "in the national interest" uttered for the first time in the campaign today. They were said by Seán Haughey (FF) on S.E. Radio news, while supposedly reinforcing Micheál Martin's insistence that FF would not join a coalition with either FG or SF. it's just another example of the weasel words used by politicians. How exactly returning FG to office would be in the national interest I fail to see, so I can only surmise what he meant was "in FF's interest".
    This will not affect my voting plans in any way as I have no intention of giving any preference to either FF or FG but it just reinforced what I already believed, a vote for FF is a vote for FG and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Have people had many callers to their door yet? I'm in Wexford town and yet to receive any, although Leonard Kelly did call before the election but i missed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Gaiuso wrote: »
    I know Mick Wallace highlighted some big issues and wasn't afraid to go against the grain.... But as a representative of Wexford I think he done very little for the constituency that elected him.

I am surprised that people seem so willing to vote for him knowing that he will operate on a 'national level'.

But its a national assembly . We don't need a Michael lowry type for wex

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Big Vern wrote: »
    Have people had many callers to their door yet? I'm in Wexford town and yet to receive any, although Leonard Kelly did call before the election but i missed him.

Had Mick Wallace at my door yesterday, he was on his own, no minders, no big entourage, he was sound.
    Had a good chat about the state of the country and why he was doing what he's doing.

Seems genuine and no bs out of him- plain speaking yes, but I'd prefer that to waffle.
    I understand that wex people have concerns he is limited in his influence here in wex but I see the bigger picture.
    he's getting my vote again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have had Aoife Byrne, Johhny Mythen, Leonard Kelly and Mick Wallace knocking on my door

I wonder if there will be a large youth presence at this election like that marriage referendum I think a large youth presence voting would produce very interesting results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Had some young fella knock on the door representing Michael D'arcy, asking for a vote. I politely told him it wouldn't be happening. I have yet to see a candidate for any party or an independent who won't be getting the same message.

I might give Caroline Foxe something for her 'homage' to Mrs Brown on her election posters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Our Dear Leader Enda was in Wexford and Enniscorthy today,he had more security than there were people on the street in Enniscorthy.

While interviewed on SE Radio he constantly dodged the question about unemployment and lack of investment in the county.

zerks wrote: »
    Our Dear Leader Enda was in Wexford and Enniscorthy today,he had more security than there were people on the street in Enniscorthy.

While interviewed on SE Radio he constantly dodged the question about unemployment and lack of investment in the county.

I heard him, he was his usual evasive self.

• Advertisement

Missed the interview with Kenny on SE this morning but I suspect I didn't miss much despite Corcoran's insistence yesterday that he wouldn't give him an easy ride. SE seems to foster a motley of FG cheerleaders, foremost among them being Neil Hughes, who plugs "the recovery" every time he is on and Corcoran never seems to ask just where this recovery is. It's certainly not among the little people.
    Had Malcolm Byrne here in Riverchapel at the weekend but I doubt D'Arcy will venture much beyond Mount Alexander, no votes for him out here. He didn't appear at the last GE or the one before that so don't expect any different this time. Robbie Ireton is usually the Labour canvasser in these parts but I gather Robbie is not too well at the moment and I personally think he is as well out of it, not many votes for Labour either.
    TBH I don't expect to see the candidates from the south of the county, I haven't even seen a poster for Mick Wallace but I expect he'll poll well despite that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I heard him, he was his usual evasive self.

According to him,the new roads will solve all unemployment-we can all get to work in Dublin quicker,we can get out of bed at 6am rather than 5.30 when the motorway is finished.:rolleyes:

Wexford has had some of the fewest visits in the country in relation to prospective sites for factories/business.Seeing as we have 2 of the most senior ministers in government that's scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Anyone else been tuning into Newstalk Breakfast? They are running a series of constituency predictions. I enjoy the banter between Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue. Ivan is never shy about saying what he feels about each candidate. His predictions for Wexford are here https://www.newstalk.com/election2016/Yates-Prediction:-Fianna-Fil-will-win-a-second-seat-in-Wexford but if you click into the link or the Wexford Consistuency page at the end of that article Caroline Foxe is missing from the candidate list? And Deirdre Wadding's info says she "has been actively campaigning against water charges and austerity and in January 2015 removed and returned her water to Irish Water". Doesn't say how many buckets she returned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I've had "The Kehoe Bus" up at my house on Monday. Firstly Paul himself called with a few back up dancers. Then about 5 minutes later another group of his entourage called.

Last night James Browne called, alone, it was pissing rain and freezing, the lad was shaking. I felt a bit sorry for him but that's the business they're in I suppose.

I've had "The Kehoe Bus" up at my house on Monday. Firstly Paul himself called with a few back up dancers. Then about 5 minutes later another group of his entourage called.

Last night James Browne called, alone, it was pissing rain and freezing, the lad was shaking. I felt a bit sorry for him but that's the business they're in I suppose.

• Advertisement

jordata wrote: »
    Anyone else been tuning into Newstalk Breakfast? They are running a series of constituency predictions. I enjoy the banter between Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue. Ivan is never shy about saying what he feels about each candidate. His predictions for Wexford are here https://www.newstalk.com/election2016/Yates-Prediction:-Fianna-Fil-will-win-a-second-seat-in-Wexford but if you click into the link or the Wexford Consistuency page at the end of that article Caroline Foxe is missing from the candidate list? And Deirdre Wadding's info says she "has been actively campaigning against water charges and austerity and in January 2015 removed and returned her water to Irish Water". Doesn't say how many buckets she returned!!

I wouldn't consider Newstalk a source of unbiased political news but I agree that FG are unlikely to hold Twomey's seat, Twomey was never comfortable in holding it himself, particularly after joining FG. I just find it depressing that voters in Wexford would consider the alternative has to be FF. I'm not convinced Howlin will hold his seat either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just to let people know. I have today thrown my hat into this election. I do so for a variety of reasons. I pose what i believe to be an important question for new ross and the surrounding area....are we content to be represented by TDs from Enniscorthy, Gorey or Wexford? In a county that has one of the highest unemployment rates in Ireland, are we seriously being asked to vote for the very same people who caused such misery for so many?

Above from his facebook page , I see John Dwyer is going ahead now , which can only be a good thing to grab the anti-government votes from Mick in the local area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

ezra_ wrote: »
    Latest Paddy Power odds:

376682.png

Updated odds from PP:

dWhofOi.png

Wallace less certain, current Gov either unchanged or slightly better on. S/F on the up.

Ger Carthy has taken a huge drift.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Ger Carthy has taken a huge drift.

Lack of a strong FF or FG candidate in south wexford means Ger is eating into their vote and the Liam Twomey market aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Ger is drifting, not shortening. I wonder will the Indo have a constituency poll. Malcolm Byrne will do well with the liberal voters who do not want to vote "looney" left, shinner or for Howlin.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Lack of a strong FF or FG candidate in south wexford means Ger is eating into their vote and the Liam Twomey market aswell.

Yeah as jd said, he's drifting as in his odds are getting bigger which means the bookies think he has less of a chance of getting a seat...if ya get me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Yeah surprised Fine Gael didn't run Jim Moore or Staples around the Kilmore area but then the gender quota played a big part in the selection of Hogan. Ivan Yates saying last seat between Malcolm Byrne and D'Arcy, could be a long count.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah surprised Fine Gael didn't run Jim Moore or Staples around the Kilmore area but then the gender quota played a big part in the selection of Hogan. Ivan Yates saying last seat between Malcolm Byrne and D'Arcy, could be a long count.

I'd say Malcolm will get a bigger personal vote in the Gorey area than D'Arcy. He has been a good, hard working councillor, unlke D'Arcy who was a TD for four years and barely opened his mouth. His "rest period" in the Seanad hasn't endeared him to many either, Daddy's coat tails only stretch so far.

I understand the odds I was trying to explain why some people think Ger is going to be elected, Personally I think he will do well but to get a seat nah can't see him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Daft question, but how can there be 6 candidates odds-on in a 5 seater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Daft question, but how can there be 6 candidates odds-on in a 5 seater?

Because bookies have their margin

Had Brendan Howlin around to the door last Friday. I talked about promises made, he said what promises, Labour didnt make any promises before the last election.
    Yet at the launch of Labours general election manifesto, Mr Howlin said Labour delivered on 95% of it promises!!

Had Brendan Howlin around to the door last Friday. I talked about promises made, he said what promises, Labour didnt make any promises before the last election.
    Yet at the launch of Labours general election manifesto, Mr Howlin said Labour delivered on 95% of it promises!!

You need to be prepared for these guys Vern, he wouldn't have got away from my door that easily. Labour have zero canvassers around Riverchapel that I can see, leaving SF to hoover up the Labour vote despite the fact that the quality of SF representation in the area has been historically poor.

You need to be prepared for these guys Vern, he wouldn't have got away from my door that easily. Labour have zero canvassers around Riverchapel that I can see, leaving SF to hoover up the Labour vote despite the fact that the quality of SF representation in the area has been historically poor.

Was a bit surprised he came to door himself! But i gave as good as i got on most issues, all he mainly talked about was how the country was broke when they came to power and what he has done for Wex, i.e. Wex General Hospital and building a new school.
    But its hard to argue your point when you're not used to doing it and up against someone who is well used to it and has his figure etc off by heart. Everything he said he said to my Father earlier in the evening.

Ill be very interested to see how SF do, i dont think their candidate is very strong.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Updated odds from PP:

dWhofOi.png

Wallace less certain, current Gov either unchanged or slightly better on. S/F on the up.

5EfY1di.png?1

Latest odds - no change.

Seems that the tone of this thread isn't reflected among the punters. Stronger support for the gov / incumbents.

I suppose bookies will build past form into the odds, just like they do with everything else. Quite a large proportion of the runners have no past form. Judging by the mood on the ground, I doubt it will be that clear cut, you'd hope people are able to see beyond their noses at this stage.

Past form might be present in the initial odds, but now there is money behind where they are at.

Its been stable now for two weeks, so it would seem that the above is where people are putting their money (and we'll know in a few days if that is a good proxy for a vote!)

This is where pP is calling it:

Iansh4S.png

Stronger support for LAB than the polls would say (quiet LAB voter?) and very small odds of the shinners being in power.
    Seems to be heading towards a propped up FG vote, which is bad outcome there will be much parish pumpery and a lack of certainty

I seem to remember PP got it wrong with the UK GE last year. My worst nightmare, and IMO the country's, would be a FF/FG coalition, indeed any coalition that included FG and I really can't see it working. Too many egos would have to be sacrificed and whatever about FG, I don't think the grass roots FF supporter would be at all happy. I think it's an arrangement that could see the complete demise of FF in 2021. I think SF would be happy enough to be the biggest opposition party and I think the punters have got it wrong about Labour's prospects, I think they'll even struggle to outperform the Social Democrats despite being a traditional party and having twice the number of candidates. As a former Labour supporter myself, I don't say this lightly as I know there are a lot of good decent folk in the Labour Party but in conversations with them, even they feel betrayed by the direction Labour have taken since the "stickie" takeover.

• Advertisement

I seem to remember PP got it wrong with the UK GE last year. My worst nightmare, and IMO the country's, would be a FF/FG coalition, indeed any coalition that included FG and I really can't see it working. Too many egos would have to be sacrificed and whatever about FG, I don't think the grass roots FF supporter would be at all happy. I think it's an arrangement that could see the complete demise of FF in 2021. I think SF would be happy enough to be the biggest opposition party and I think the punters have got it wrong about Labour's prospects, I think they'll even struggle to outperform the Social Democrats despite being a traditional party and having twice the number of candidates. As a former Labour supporter myself, I don't say this lightly as I know there are a lot of good decent folk in the Labour Party but in conversations with them, even they feel betrayed by the direction Labour have taken since the "stickie" takeover.

As a former Labour supporter myself i always follow their fortunes closely. Its an interesting point you make regarding the 'stickies'. Do you the people you talked to feel the 'stickies' are the ones that have pushed the party in a different direction, the likes of Gilmore/Rabbite etc? What direction do they want the party to move in?

As a former Labour supporter myself i always follow their fortunes closely. Its an interesting point you make regarding the 'stickies'. Do you the people you talked to feel the 'stickies' are the ones that have pushed the party in a different direction, the likes of Gilmore/Rabbite etc? What direction do they want the party to move in?

Yes, after Brendan Corish and Frank Cluskey the party took a swing to the right with O'Leary and then Spring and the irony is that the merger with DL was seen by many as a step towards bringing the party further back toward the left. In fact, it had the opposite effect with the Mullingar accord seen as just rubber stamping FG policies. As party leader, Rabbitte was seen as talking the talk but not walking the walk and was supported in his strategies by Mc Manus and Gilmore, people felt that while increasing Labour Party support in Dáil Eireann was a good thing, it should be on Labour's founding principles, not as FG light. Rabbitte, many feel, was a disaster as Labour leader and his tenure resulted in SF being able to present themselves as the true representatives of the working man, Ruari Quinn made an honest attempt to recover ground but he was on a hiding to nothing.
    This past Dáil has seen more evidence of Labour's lurch from the left with both Burton and Kelly seen as being "more Tory than the Tories", the Irish Water debacle, a slick move by Kenny to take the heat off FG after Hogan, but then Kelly makes a complete hames of it.
    All these things are watched by the working man, the life blood of the Labour Party, with dismay and more and more votes are trickling away to SF, PBP even Social Democrats. I can see Labour ending up back where they were in the 1980s, and this after being given a huge mandate in 2011. All for singing to the FG hymnsheet.

Yes, after Brendan Corish and Frank Cluskey the party took a swing to the right with O'Leary and then Spring and the irony is that the merger with DL was seen by many as a step towards bringing the party further back toward the left. In fact, it had the opposite effect with the Mullingar accord seen as just rubber stamping FG policies. As party leader, Rabbitte was seen as talking the talk but not walking the walk and was supported in his strategies by Mc Manus and Gilmore, people felt that while increasing Labour Party support in Dáil Eireann was a good thing, it should be on Labour's founding principles, not as FG light. Rabbitte, many feel, was a disaster as Labour leader and his tenure resulted in SF being able to present themselves as the true representatives of the working man, Ruari Quinn made an honest attempt to recover ground but he was on a hiding to nothing.
    This past Dáil has seen more evidence of Labour's lurch from the left with both Burton and Kelly seen as being "more Tory than the Tories", the Irish Water debacle, a slick move by Kenny to take the heat off FG after Hogan, but then Kelly makes a complete hames of it.
    All these things are watched by the working man, the life blood of the Labour Party, with dismay and more and more votes are trickling away to SF, PBP even Social Democrats. I can see Labour ending up back where they were in the 1980s, and this after being given a huge mandate in 2011. All for singing to the FG hymnsheet.

I was involved for a while in WP/DL so when the merger with Labour happened i had hopes of a strong left-wing party, how wrong that turned out!! They will get a real hammering in this election and it will take a while to recover from it, if at all, as you say other parties will take their support. SD could take a lot of their support.

Anyway back to Wexford and with a week to go ive still only had 2 callers, Labour and PBP, missed the SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Odds for Aoife Byrne to be elected have gone from 25/1 to 2/1. I personally feel like all she's doing is digging into Malcolm Byrne and Get Carthy's votes, maybe with the lack of a strong or likeable FG candidate in the area adding a bit into it. Another thing to note is that she seems to be doing quite well in New Ross. I personally don't see her getting elected, but she might serve as someone to split the FF vote, working go D'arcy's advantage. Just my two cents, it's an interesting development.

This is an interesting development alright. I would never put her into the mix for a seat. Then again as you say a lot of support in New Ross area would help. Also i feel there is a lot of votes up for grabs in the Wex town area, haven't seen Ger Carthy do much nor FG's Julie Hogan.

I think its going to be an interesting count!

This is an interesting development alright. I would never put her into the mix for a seat. Then again as you say a lot of support in New Ross area would help. Also i feel there is a lot of votes up for grabs in the Wex town area, haven't seen Ger Carthy do much nor FG's Julie Hogan.

I think its going to be an interesting count!

It comes to show that while money may not buy happiness it could well buy a seat in Leinster House... Get Carthy will take a slip quite soon I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

man98 wrote: »
    It comes to show that while money may not buy happiness it could well buy a seat in Leinster House... Get Carthy will take a slip quite soon I'd imagine.

Money and family connections!!

I think Carthy will get a good number of first preference votes in his area, he got over 1900 in the local election, but it wont be enough to put him in the mix. Be interesting to see where his transfers will go. James Browne got around the same in the locals, but he'll pick up the county wide FF vote as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Brendan Howlin is sorry he missed me - well don't call when most people are out at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭patsy sally

where were howlin,kehoe and even john browne when st senans hospital closed down? with two ministers in this county, they couldnt even get us an acute psychiatric unit returned to this county, so ministers kehoe and howlin werent much good to us then. How many jobs did two ministers bring to this county? The south east is always left behind, whether it is, roads, hospitals, schools, IDA visits you name it, wexford is always left behind. and what did ministers kehoe and howlin do about that?????
    I distinctly remember a debate on local radio whereby minister howlin said that to some people work is a dirty word- and he tried denying it....
    IMHO howlin and kehoe wont be ministers this time next week.
    as regards, howlins statement of saving Wexford hospital , no he did not. the taxpayers money pay our hospitals, it doesnt come out of the politicians pockets and certianly not howlins!!
    Wexford hospital isn't even in the same hospital group as Waterord so the two hsopitals can't even be compared as Wexford will university status this spring like Waterord.
    Don't beleive a word howlin says because due to our geographical location a report states that wexford and letterkenny hsopitals cannot be downgraded. Especially as wicklow has no hospital and Wexford has the only maternity unit between wex,wicklow and even naas, believe it or not. So arrogant howlin talks scutter.

he will prob get in alright but id say he will find it very hard. crown him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Brendan Howlin is sorry he missed me - well don't call when most people are out at work!

Brendan howlin is not one bit sorry he missed you, in fact he didn't miss you at all. Himself and Paul Kehoe have their canvassing team using two types of leaflets - one which has a the old reliable list of polices and all that, which they give to the people who are at home. While the other has a smiling face of each of them and a title which says 'sorry I've missed you' with their photocopied signature on the back which they push in the letterbox when no ones at home. - thus suggesting that they were actually there in person using their time to visit your house being 'sorry' that they didn't see you.

where were howlin,kehoe and even john browne when st senans hospital closed down? with two ministers in this county, they couldnt even get us an acute psychiatric unit returned to this county, so ministers kehoe and howlin werent much good to us then. How many jobs did two ministers bring to this county? The south east is always left behind, whether it is, roads, hospitals, schools, IDA visits you name it, wexford is always left behind. and what did ministers kehoe and howlin do about that?????
    I distinctly remember a debate on local radio whereby minister howlin said that to some people work is a dirty word- and he tried denying it....
    IMHO howlin and kehoe wont be ministers this time next week.
    as regards, howlins statement of saving Wexford hospital , no he did not. the taxpayers money pay our hospitals, it doesnt come out of the politicians pockets and certianly not howlins!!
    Wexford hospital isn't even in the same hospital group as Waterord so the two hsopitals can't even be compared as Wexford will university status this spring like Waterord.
    Don't beleive a word howlin says because due to our geographical location a report states that wexford and letterkenny hsopitals cannot be downgraded. Especially as wicklow has no hospital and Wexford has the only maternity unit between wex,wicklow and even naas, believe it or not. So arrogant howlin talks scutter.

So it's Howlin and Kehoe's fault when hospitals close, but when others are expanded it's nothing to do with them? You're right though, Wexford needs proper mental health services in the general hospital. The people advocating for St. Senans to be reopened, however, had thry ever been inside the place? It's a Victorian hellhole, completely outdated. Wicklow has no maternity hospital because there's Loughlinstown in Dublin, just inside the M50. No more than 40 minutes from Arklow. Naas is 20 minutes from Tallaght hospital. Regardless of population base, there was a need to consolidate health services and Wexford is well placed as a catchment and necessary in case of emergencies, as you've said. Waterford was only moved out of Wexford's grouping in 2013, which is of note. School building is going on all around us, this can't come quick enough IMO. There is certainly an employment issue, though we can't forget Clearstream in Enniscorthy and Wexford Creamery, among other smaller announcements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement