Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow The Stormers have only scored 28 tries. That's the lowest in the whole comp! It works out about at about 39 tries per 22 games i.e. if they were in the Rabo, which would rank them at 8th in the Rabo overall tries scored table last season.

Lol The Hurricanes have scored 58 tries! Which is 3.6 tries per game or 80 per 22 games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'll be rooting for the Sharks. Great rugby and the coolest kits in the comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

endabob1 wrote: »
    Defense wins world cups, no reason it shouldn't win Super 15 as well. The Stormers game is based on a sound defense, nothing wrong with that.

Might win the trophies. Does not win the hearts of the neutrals though. Or do you have a soft spot for the '99 Wallabies or the '07 Boks...

Defense doesn't win trophies anymore. You need a strong defense coupled with a strong attack to go anywhere. Tbh I think the Stormers could turn it on if they really had to.

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Sir John Kirwan will be the Auckland Blues Head coach next season - good man to get for them plus It means Joe Scmidt will still be in Ireland next year.

Utterly unproven as a coach...but at least he has "mana" starting out. Schmidt would have been foolish to take the Blues job - do poorly and his AB career is blown...do well, have to hope that Hansen doesn't, and then join the queue with Rennie, Blackadder, Joseph etc. Better to take over from Declan after another middling 6N, coach Ireland to a RWC semi or better...and then be primed to take over the ABs if Hansen is unsuccessful in 2015.

• Advertisement

When there are a low number of tries being scored in the northern hemisphere its because our rugby lacks skill and is a slogfest. When the same happens in the Southern Hemisphere its because defense wins championships.

The Stormers are the only side not have scored 4 tries in any S15 game this season. I repeat the only side. And they even got to play the Lions twice. I would hardly say a lack of tries is at epidemic proportions in the SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Swiwi wrote: »
    The Stormers are the only side not have scored 4 tries in any S15 game this season. I repeat the only side. And they even got to play the Lions twice. I would hardly say a lack of tries is at epidemic proportions in the SH.

It's tough to like the stormers as a neutral but even during the last few weeks were the players looked jaded they still managed to win games, compare that to how the chiefs have faded of late. Yes they're not the easiest SA side on the eye in terms of attacking prowess; that would go to the lions or sharks, they're probably even with the cheetahs and ahead of the bulls who have a far more boring style of rugby based on kicking, but their defence has been awesome.

Like them or loathe them, they've only lost 2 games; away to the crusaders and the sharks. Considering all the injuries they've had to contend with it's impressive, just last weekend they had their 2nd choice hooker playing 8 due to injuries to their backrow.

Sharks team announced for the Reds:
    Sharks:
    15 Louis Ludik, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Paul Jordaan, 12 Tim Whitehead, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Frederic Michalak, 9 Charl McLeod,
    8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Keegan Daniel (capt), 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Willem Alberts, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Steven Sykes, 19 Jacques Botes, 20 Cobus Reinach, 21 Meyer Bosman, 22 Odwa Ndungane.

Since their backrow has been on fire, there is no room for the returning Alberts who goes in to 2nd row, making them one very mobile strong pack. I think the Sharks will win here, their forwards and scrum will be too strong for the Reds who will be without Quade. Bismarck has been playing class the last few weeks, the Sharks looked dodgey without him starting last week but his introduction sparked the team. I think he's leading in turnover stats in the competition and doing a fine impression of SOB in the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Might win the trophies. Does not win the hearts of the neutrals though. Or do you have a soft spot for the '99 Wallabies or the '07 Boks...

Neither, but they both were great defensive sides. I like the Stormers because I live in Cape Town, so I'm not neutral
    matthew8 wrote: »
    I'll be rooting for the Sharks. Great rugby and the coolest kits in the comp.

TBH I thought the Sharks were the most likely of the SA sides before it began, I thought the Stormers pack wouldn't hold up. I think they've got a great chance of winning in Brisbane and then again in Cape Town, Sharks & Crusaders are the only 2 sides to beat the Stormers this season.

What I'm not sure of is if the Sharks were to beat the Reds & then the Stormers would get the final at home?
    If so I wouldn't mind a few cheeky's on them to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

yimrsg wrote: »
    Sharks team announced for the Reds:
    Sharks:
    15 Louis Ludik, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Paul Jordaan, 12 Tim Whitehead, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Frederic Michalak, 9 Charl McLeod,
    8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Keegan Daniel (capt), 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Willem Alberts, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Steven Sykes, 19 Jacques Botes, 20 Cobus Reinach, 21 Meyer Bosman, 22 Odwa Ndungane.

Since their backrow has been on fire, there is no room for the returning Alberts who goes in to 2nd row, making them one very mobile strong pack. I think the Sharks will win here, their forwards and scrum will be too strong for the Reds who will be without Quade. Bismarck has been playing class the last few weeks, the Sharks looked dodgey without him starting last week but his introduction sparked the team. I think he's leading in turnover stats in the competition and doing a fine impression of SOB in the loose.

Bismark has been playing class the past five years its just that he wasn't 1. Coaching the Boks or 2. A quota player that kept him out of the starting Bok jersey during Captain Fishfingers time in charge.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Sir John Kirwan will be the Auckland Blues Head coach next season - good man to get for them plus It means Joe Scmidt will still be in Ireland next year.

Utterly unproven as a coach...but at least he has "mana" starting out. Schmidt would have been foolish to take the Blues job - do poorly and his AB career is blown...do well, have to hope that Hansen doesn't, and then join the queue with Rennie, Blackadder, Joseph etc. Better to take over from Declan after another middling 6N, coach Ireland to a RWC semi or better...and then be primed to take over the ABs if Hansen is unsuccessful in 2015.

How can a coach of two national teams be utterly unproven? I think he's well proven as a high profile but average coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Read out of match v bulls. Could tip it in bulls favour.

How can a coach of two national teams be utterly unproven? I think he's well proven as a high profile but average coach.

Semantics. You know what I mean. Unproven to be a winning coach. But was that because he only had Italy & Japan to work with? Or because he can't coach? Time will tell...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on all right. I personally wouldn't have been too keen on him for any of the Irish positions due to his lack of experience.

I don't think Buck Shelford is too keen on him either!
    ---
    "He started his coaching at international level basically, he never coached down the bottom and it's like he's been fast-tracked to a career of coaching," he told New Zealand's Radio Sport radio station.

"Internationally he's probably only done about 20-30 games in the last 10 years.

"I would have liked to have see someone in there with a lot more experience and I don't really believe that selection reflects three provinces,"
    ----
    But Shelford believes that coaching at international level is not too demanding.

"You only play about 10 games a year maximum and not a lot of coaching is it?" he explained.

"Compared to some of the other coaches who have spent two or three years in ITM Cup.

"Kieran Crowley especially with Taranaki then overseas, (and) club football. Compared to JK who has never really done that."
    ----
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7910634,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was listening to a discussion local Christchurch radio station tonight and while they covered the Buck Shelford/John Kirwan story, they were more interested in having a right go at the TMO's allowing Dagg's try against Western Force. He clearly lost control of the ball and a blind man on a galloping horse would have seen it but not the TMO - apparently. :D

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how he gets on all right. I personally wouldn't have been too keen on him for any of the Irish positions due to his lack of experience.

I don't think Buck Shelford is too keen on him either!
    ---
    "He started his coaching at international level basically, he never coached down the bottom and it's like he's been fast-tracked to a career of coaching," he told New Zealand's Radio Sport radio station.

"Internationally he's probably only done about 20-30 games in the last 10 years.

"I would have liked to have see someone in there with a lot more experience and I don't really believe that selection reflects three provinces,"
    ----
    But Shelford believes that coaching at international level is not too demanding.

"You only play about 10 games a year maximum and not a lot of coaching is it?" he explained.

"Compared to some of the other coaches who have spent two or three years in ITM Cup.

"Kieran Crowley especially with Taranaki then overseas, (and) club football. Compared to JK who has never really done that."
    ----
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7910634,00.html

My olds are friends with the parents of a guy who used to play for North Harbour. Buck Shelford (as coach) apparently would constantly lose the run of himself, with paroxysms of rage, cussing etc. Total respect for him as a player, but I can't take him seriously as a commentator.

Semantics. You know what I mean. Unproven to be a winning coach. But was that because he only had Italy & Japan to work with? Or because he can't coach? Time will tell...

A fair point, he ll have a serious squad to work with so this is a great chance for him to show if he's got the goods.He can't do any worse then Pat Lamp.

Buck Shelford had turned into Mr Sell A Quote, he often seems to be controversial just for the sake of it

A fair point, he ll have a serious squad to work with so this is a great chance for him to show if he's got the goods.He can't do any worse then Pat Lamp.

Buck Shelford had turned into Mr Sell A Quote, he often seems to be controversial just for the sake of it

Couldn't have put it better myself. Along with Andy Haden, Colin "back in my day" Meads, and a host of other ex All Blacks. Generally, these guys were playing legends, but as you say have become Mr Sell A Quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Probably applies to very few but if, like me, you're a Magnet subscriber, Sky Sports is gratis for the weekend so no dodgy internet feeds required to watch tomorrow morning's games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just a reminder of the details for the qualifying round starting tomorrow for this season's Super15.

Qualifier Round, SS2/HD, Saturday 21st July
    TEAMS | STADIUM | K.O TIME
    Crusaders vs Bulls | [AMI Stadium, Christchurch] | 8.35AM
    Reds vs Sharks | [Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane] | 10.40AM

Irish time.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Probably applies to very few but if, like me, you're a Magnet subscriber, Sky Sports is gratis for the weekend so no dodgy internet feeds required to watch tomorrow morning's games.

Did not know that. How do I get that? I'm a magnet customer... Is it on their magnetTV thing?

.ak wrote: »
    Did not know that. How do I get that? I'm a magnet customer... Is it on their magnetTV thing?

Ah, perhaps only for those who use Magnet as their digital tv provider. Channels 420-423 have appeared in channel list until midnight Sunday. Everyone will be glued to The Open this weekend which is on terrestrial television so they've no problem giving a free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

When I checked the UPC guide it only had one game being shown. Must check again and set the other to record.

One great touchfinder aside, Steyn is killing his team. Very poor thus far. Crusaders getting the rub so far with a few fortunate decisions. When the NZ commentators question a couple of them, you know it's not your day. Blues lucky only to be 6-0 down.

And Guildford over. All coming after Steyn's kick. Simple try, poor defence from the Blues to leave such a massive gap in their line.

Bulls dont seem to be at the races at all. Saders making yards for fun in the last 10 there.

I didn't get only 5 hours of sleep to watch the Bulls play like this.

Awful rugby from the Bulls. If the Bullboks play like this, it will be a tough 4N, both for SA and for the poor TV viewers. It would make Italy in the 6N look like a great attacking side. Pity the Hurricanes didn't make the knock-out stages, at least they would have given it a lash. Sorry, Bulls, but 10-man rugby and kick & hope rugby had it's zenith in 2007...5 years ago...

Awful rugby from the Bulls. If the Bullboks play like this, it will be a tough 4N, both for SA and for the poor TV viewers. It would make Italy in the 6N look like a great attacking side. Pity the Hurricanes didn't make the knock-out stages, at least they would have given it a lash. Sorry, Bulls, but 10-man rugby and kick & hope rugby had it's zenith in 2007...5 years ago...

Morale victory for the bulls, they outscored the crusaders in the try count!

yimrsg wrote: »
    Morale victory for the bulls, they outscored the crusaders in the try count!

Desperation is the mother of all self-deception...

• Advertisement

Awful game to watch for the neutral. Bulls were shocking. Crusaders showed some nice touches once or twice but had to do very little aside from pick the Bulls off with the boot. 23 points for Carter when he missed a few says it all. They gave the Bulls just enough rope to hang themselves.

Advertisement