Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It could be down to the local aggregation nodes at my exchange (Wellington Rd). Maybe it just has better access to the core network or there are faster switches and routers installed?

Could just be fewer hops or something.

I doubt it's the local copper wiring.

I think I'm about 700 ish meters from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Different BRAS probably. Some lines run half way across the country to hit theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Although I use a mere fraction of my currant bandwidth, I WANT VECTORING NOW!

they could give you vectoring now... but then you would be bitching about how intermittent it was cos they did not test the software first.. :rolleyes: let them get the cabs upgraded tested and working first before they update the f1000's to use it

also let them try fix the unrelenting storm damage too while they are at it.. you whine about speeds.. if you have service be glad of that alone... alot of people have no service... its not any isp's fault its the poxy weather tearing the sh!te out of lines causing problems... they can only do so much each day

The people dealing with vectoring (a software issue) and the storm damage aren't really connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

they could give you vectoring now... but then you would be bitching about how intermittent it was cos they did not test the software first.. :rolleyes: let them get the cabs upgraded tested and working first before they update the f1000's to use it

also let them try fix the unrelenting storm damage too while they are at it.. you whine about speeds.. if you have service be glad of that alone... alot of people have no service... its not any isp's fault its the poxy weather tearing the sh!te out of lines causing problems... they can only do so much each day

What the hell was that?

I was messing, I have more speed now than I need. As for the storm damage, I never said a word about it. In fact, I never whined about anything at all. Relax man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What the hell was that?

I was messing, I have more speed now than I need. As for the storm damage, I never said a word about it. In fact, I never whined about anything at all. Relax man.

Freddy smelly doesn't get sarcasm....

Interesting my DSL connection dropped a while ago for a few mins.
    Wonder if that was an update going on?

I was just up a bit late with netflix on in background.

Never noticed it drop a connection before.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Cork981

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Interesting my DSL connection dropped a while ago for a few mins.<br />
    Wonder if that was an update going on?<br />
    <br />
    I was just up a bit late with netflix on in background.<br />
    <br />
    Never noticed it drop a connection before.

I also noticed my connection drop for a few minutes this time last week at roughly 12.30am.

I'm in the e church field exchange area.

Could easily be cabinets being upgraded.

Also IP remained the same afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Also had a drop in my download speed last night, upload was grand tho.. On the Dundalk exchange.

No change in my speed and ping's still <9ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Modem updated over night some new vector values displaying in the DSL statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Last fritzbox update enabled vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Short loop bonded and vectored VDSL has a lot to offer in the near to mid future.

As uncool as copper is, it's still pretty amazing the amount of data that can be sent down 2 tiny little copper wires...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Praetorian wrote: »
    I got a call from my provider today to say that our broadband would be down for 10 minutes next tuesday at 00.10 for vector upgrades.

I was also told it would be 1 or 2 months before the upgrade is turned on.

100m/bit has been talked about a lot. Is that all the CPE can actually manage? I had thought it was silly to have only 100m/bit lan on all the CPE that I have used so far on fiber. Of course I will be happy with 100 x 30 but 120 or 130 x 30 would be a really nice headline speed :)

I wonder if we would be required to sign a new contract if we decide to upgrade :/

No change in my speed and ping's still <9ms

Are you still getting 9ms ping?

I'll check later.

I'll check later.
    Yeah, no bother. I was just wondering cause I was also getting under 10ms ping until couple of days ago, Now I am back to 20-30ms ping times. I think the update for enabling vectoring might have something to do with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Short loop bonded and vectored VDSL has a lot to offer in the near to mid future.

As uncool as copper is, it's still pretty amazing the amount of data that can be sent down 2 tiny little copper wires...

Agreed, though it should be pointed out that it is really fibre that is the power behind this (and also UPC's network). In the long term the key is to get Fibre closer and closer to peoples homes.

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Yeah, no bother. I was just wondering cause I was also getting under 10ms ping until couple of days ago, Now I am back to 20-30ms ping times. I think the update for enabling vectoring might have something to do with it.

Slightly higher alright but still not up at 20. Getting more like 12-15ms to most servers in Ireland.

It could equally be time of day too. Network's load may be determining routing.

From what I've read about it, I don't think Vectoring should have any impact on ping, although it'll be interesting to see how it impacts it.

Some of the old ADSL interleaving profiles definitely did increase ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I wonder if we would be required to sign a new contract if we decide to upgrade :/

I would assume that we will all be upgraded automatically and there won't be any new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hopefully Vectoring will be enabled soon. It won't effect me anyway but when I finally do get VDSL then it will be nice to be able to get faster speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Hopefully Vectoring will be enabled soon. It won't effect me anyway but when I finally do get VDSL then it will be nice to be able to get faster speeds.

been rolled on in parts of dublin this week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

lets hope someone from dublin will report back when it happens.

swoofer wrote: »
    lets hope someone from dublin will report back when it happens.

+1 To this. I would love to see their statistics.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Have noticed that my Vodafone router is reporting a higher Downstream SNR since yesterday , up from 6.2 to 19.9
    Attenuation hasn't moved ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I believe that while vectoring may be enabled on the cabinet, it is up to the retail operator to then apply a higher rate profile on the line if one is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Have noticed that my Vodafone router is reporting a higher Downstream SNR since yesterday , up from 6.2 to 19.9
    Attenuation hasn't moved ...

I have this same it went up to 20.5

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Should be interesting to see this vectoring in action. We will have 100Mb during the day and 1Mb - 4Mb in the evenings.

_John C wrote: »
    Should be interesting to see this vectoring in action. We will have 100Mb during the day and 1Mb - 4Mb in the evenings.

Why would we have that?

Are you getting slow speeds in the evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Yeah. I'm still on ADSL2+ , 15 Mb daytime and around 3 Mb in the evenings. I've read posts from people with Vdsl who are also suffering slow speeds in the evenings.

Advertisement