Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Seems to be specific regions though from that thread mostly SE areas.
    Could be a fault that's reduced capacity across some route or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

I'm in the SE alright ( south Tipperary )

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

domeld wrote: »
    I have this same it went up to 20.5

Any chance of a screen shot of your stats page and firmware version ?

This looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Cork981 wrote: »
    Any chance of a screen shot of your stats page and firmware version ?

This looks interesting.

See below

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm in Carlow so hopefully Vectoring gets enabled for this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Hi.
    I've recently noticed on my eircom router page that my system uptime is different than my IPv4 uptime. Would this have anything to do with vectoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

been rolled on in parts of dublin this week

any idea of the areas where its rolling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

kingtiger wrote: »
    any idea of the areas where its rolling out?

I know it's been enabled in Balbriggan

Definitely no change here in Cork (Wellington Road Exchange) yet anyway.
    ============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 5 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.297 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       16.6 dB            9.4 dB
                Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.1 dBm          10.6 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.7 dBm          -9.1 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       20.8 dB           19.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     25.951 Mbps       59.620 Mbps

How does that compare to most?
    It's a fairly mediocre line as I'm about 750-800m from the cabinet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Here is mine.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 1 day: 21 hours: 43 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.1 dB 9.8 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.6 dBm 11.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.6 dBm -3.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.9 dB 14.5 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 32.816 Mbps 99.152 Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Vectoring went live this week in a few 10s of cabinets - this will continue to happen in phases over the coming weeks & months and ramp up quickly.

AFAIK all modems will get the required firmware before their cab goes live.

Not all lines will benefit from vectoring

Speeds uplifts wil be in the 20% - 40% on average where loops are short (300m or less)

I am sure ISPs will advise of what cabs go live to customers as they roll out

Should be 500 odd cabs done by mid march

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

This has probably been asked, but can't seem to find it. Will vectoring allow for a few extra mbps to lines between 1000 and 1500 meters, or even extend that reach up to 2km?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

domeld wrote: »
    See below

checked my software rev and am still on C172B211 - no sp08
    Will keep an open eye ...

This has probably been asked, but can't seem to find it. Will vectoring allow for a few extra mbps to lines between 1000 and 1500 meters, or even extend that reach up to 2km?

Vectoring doenst really extend reach.

Unlikely to work at 1000 metres

Sorry to bring no smiles!

Are you sure the modems need software upgrade? They're all specced for vectoring from the get go.

Also the Huawei vectoring technology (at least the version they keep promoting on their website ) can cope with legacy modems. So the cab could go live immediately.

I'm just wondering how it copes with ADSL2+ lines that are sharing the same bundles of cables. Not everyone is on the same DSLAM.

A large % of customers would still be on legacy exchange based products. For example all of Sky's customers!

I'm assuming it must only deal with the extra spectrum used by VDSL2 ?

It seems there are many flavours of vectoring technology though.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Are you sure the modems need software upgrade? They're all specced for vectoring from the get go.

Also the Huawei vectoring technology (at least the version they keep promoting on their website ) can cope with legacy modems. So the cab could go live immediately.

I'm just wondering how it copes with ADSL2+ lines that are sharing the same bundles of cables. Not everyone is on the same DSLAM.

A large % of customers would still be on legacy exchange based products. For example all of Sky's customers!

I assume it's since ADSL2 uses a max of 2.2mhz and the current vdsl2 profile uses 17mhz.

So there should be a minimal of crosstalk between the lines.

SpaceTime wrote: »

All modems deployed by ISPs must support vectoring. Some need the software applied though (the chipset supports it) hence the update

As above - all modems have the right chipset to support VDSL vector since NGa launched so no issue there

VDSL and ADSL use differnet frequencies therefore not an issue ADSL and VDSL can co-exist using good planning

Sky dont sell VDSL currently. But regardless the answer above applies

There are differnet types of vectoring, system vectoring (current) , node level vectoring, independnat vectoring engines etc...

Things are more complicated in networks where VDSL from the exchange was rolled out in recent years to older specs.

I know in Germany they migrated people off exchange-based VDSL products and onto cabinetized VDSL2.

No likey exchange launched VDSL. Bleugh. That said for those served from exchages it may help a little.

It's a mess though and because the loops are usually long is not real NGA...if VDSL is NGA at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No upgrade so far for me despite being told our cabinet was being updated. My stats haven't changed at all. Here is hoping it will happen :)

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71678
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 10.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 5.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 1.7
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.4
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -18.2
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 0
    Upstream FEC 0

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    No upgrade so far for me despite being told our cabinet was being updated. My stats haven't changed at all. Here is hoping it will happen :)

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71678
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 10.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 5.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 1.7
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.4
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -18.2
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 0
    Upstream FEC 0

That's a perfect line.

How close are you to your cabinet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Cork981 wrote: »
    That's a perfect line.

How close are you to your cabinet ?

I'm not actually sure, as the line goes underneath a green or other houses to get to me, so it's around 100-190 metres depending where the ducting is routed.

It's certainly good though I had feared my line was well over 1km long. Still no sign of any stat changes.

I am hoping the vectoring will lower the ping times. That's the only reason i am really looking for an upgrade. Upload/download is plenty as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Vectoring is employed to improve the signal to noise ratio (SNR) on the local connection between your house and the local cabinet, thus allowing higher bandwidth. Shouldn't affect ping times.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure, as the line goes underneath a green or other houses to get to me, so it's around 100-190 metres depending where the ducting is routed.

It's certainly good though I had feared my line was well over 1km long. Still no sign of any stat changes.

In a lot (most) cases the lines will basically follow the roads/streets. Unlike ESB, P&T and Telecom Eireann never really had the same legal ability to run ducts or lines over or through private property so they didn't always take the most direct routes.

Crossing greens and stuff like that would be common though as it's most likely common ground / council property.

Could someone tell me what this is? http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/34216-difsept13/
    A key dimension of Eircom’s investment plan involves boosting international connectivity from 400Gbps to 5Tbps.
    “That means a very low latency capability in the range of a 10 to 12 millisecond round trip.”

I saw this very long time ago and was always confusing it with vectoring haha noobie me, anyway
    will it really deliver such a low ping times to us or whats the deal here?

That's about more international connectivity and better core networks.

The two have to happen together as faster fibre access products and more multimedia streaming content means more bandwidth requirements.

Eircom also competes with BT, UPC, Vodafone, and various international fibre provoders and others who have their own international fibre routes.

It needs this to compete for wholesale business and 'big data' customers like data centres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My Vodafone modem had a software update today. SNR increased by 0.2 so maybe vectoring, or maybe I am too far from the cabinet (my attenuation is 12.2). I now have an option on the modem status page to download a log of activated NAT sessions, anyone know what that's about?

Strangely, my downstream FEC errors are gone mad, but there are no CRC errors. Before today I got around 200 CRC errors per day with no FEC errors. Strange.

I'm getting around 3 downstream FEC errors per second, never had this before. Even getting some upstream FEC errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

My Vodafone modem had a software update today. SNR increased by 0.2 so maybe vectoring, or maybe I am too far from the cabinet (my attenuation is 12.2). I now have an option on the modem status page to download a log of activated NAT sessions, anyone know what that's about?

Strangely, my downstream FEC errors are gone mad, but there are no CRC errors. Before today I got around 200 CRC errors per day with no FEC errors. Strange.

I'm getting around 3 downstream FEC errors per second, never had this before. Even getting some upstream FEC errors.

Same here ...
    Updated from Software version 211 to 214 and FEC errors are through the roof
    I also get the new NAT Session info .
    Speeds seem ok.
    Have posted on Talk to VF forum asking for change log of 214 firmware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Does this software update go through if you have the modem in bridged mode? I cant access the native modem interface (while bridged) to be able to see the stats and version numbers.

Advertisement