Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Week three has been completed..but I'd be so much happier if I didnt have to keep stopping for these damn stitches..I think I'd have no bother with the slightly longer intervals if it wasnt for them.
    All week I have stretched stretched stretched,gone out with nothing digesting and its still happening a few mins into my run... I really hope I can figure it out or else I dont see myself finish this and thats very disappointing :(

Is it to do with how you are breathing I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah i was thinking about that walking back, i was just greatful at the start that m asthma didnt play up but now I think im gonna have to maybe repeat this week and focus on breathing properly..i want to finish this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Week three has been completed..but I'd be so much happier if I didnt have to keep stopping for these damn stitches..I think I'd have no bother with the slightly longer intervals if it wasnt for them.
    All week I have stretched stretched stretched,gone out with nothing digesting and its still happening a few mins into my run... I really hope I can figure it out or else I dont see myself finish this and thats very disappointing :(

If I were you I'd stick repeating week 3 until you are stitchless.

Sometimes I can run through a stitch, it starts but then it passes. Gulping water can be a culprit, as can not warming up. Breathing can be a factor too, try to exhale as hard as you can, really whoosh the air out. Another trick I use is to concentrate on exhaling in time with your footfall, so say every second left foot strike is a full deep exhale. Or start panting, the important thing is to get a rhythm going. And slow down, although that doesn't really help me if it comes on me when I'm already going slow!! And be sure to check your form, run like there's a balloon pulling your head up, nice and straight.

Thanks! Ill try to remember that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Thanks! Ill try to remember that!

And not being too full going for your run. I'd a big stitch running yesterday and I think I'd eaten too much.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    And not being too full going for your run. I'd a big stitch running yesterday and I think I'd eaten too much.

Oh I definitely second this, I cant actually have anything in my stomach running, not only do I get a stitch but I get awful heartburn from the contents of my stomach bouncing up and down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If I get a stitch, I raise my arm right up over my head. I look like an eejit, but feck it, I can continue running without having to stop

Lucyfur wrote: »
    If I get a stitch, I raise my arm right up over my head. I look like an eejit, but feck it, I can continue running without having to stop

Haha well luckily for me i run in the back arse of nowhere so i might try that!

And the having no food in me doesnt work..been doing that all week so we'll keep with that and try the whole breathing thing from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

fits wrote: »
    Those of you cycling, are you on road bikes? How long did it take to get used to it? I find it quite hard on my neck and shoulders.

I'm not an a road bike, but I do want to get one when I have some money. I'm on a hybrid at the moment. I find the first 20 minutes or so the most uncomfortable. For the first ten minutes my butt can be sore, for another ten minutes my legs will feel weird but after that the issues tend to disappear and I'm fine for the next hour until I finish.

I realised a big part of the lack of comfort was I was ramping up really quickly. I do a few minutes of stretches before hand but that's not enough to warm up properly. If I took it slowly, just enough to raise my heart rate it was much easier to continue in comfort than if I rode hard from the start and had to wait for the soreness to fall away.

Although saying all this a hybrid could be an easier position to ride in, I don't know for sure but I imagine a road bike will definitely take some getting used to.

I am reasonably cycling fit for a hybrid as thats what I commute to work on (and go shopping, to the pub, to visit friends). But thats in a flat place in Finland.

The road bike, I just got a week ago in Ireland. And I'll be using it on hills a lot more so I guess its going to be different. But yeah it is very different. The hybrid is a good, light one, but the road bike is sooo different, lighter. 100 times easier going up a hill.

Except my local cycling club who are crying out for more women apparently, but I need to get fitter before I join them for a spin.

Should we have a loungers on bikes thread maybe? I find cycling forum slightly intimidating...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

fits wrote: »
    I am reasonably cycling fit for a hybrid as thats what I commute to work on (and go shopping, to the pub, to visit friends). But thats in a flat place in Finland.

The road bike, I just got a week ago in Ireland. And I'll be using it on hills a lot more so I guess its going to be different. But yeah it is very different. The hybrid is a good, light one, but the road bike is sooo different, lighter. 100 times easier going up a hill.

Except my local cycling club who are crying out for more women apparently, but I need to get fitter before I join them for a spin.

Should we have a loungers on bikes thread maybe? I find cycling forum slightly intimidating...

Can we call it "Loungers who ride"?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm on a road bike, I still find it quite hard on my neck and shoulders even though mine has a relatively relaxed geometry. Stretching helps - downward dog and childs pose from yoga in particular, and regular shoulder rubs too. I tend to do around 25km on a midweek spin and up to 40km at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stitches have been the bain of my running life. I have limited them over the years though through the following steps:

I have to wait at least two and a half hours after eating before going for a run.

I have to keep an eye on my posture when running and straighten up to stretch my stomach a bit.

I have to do lots of core work in the gym. planks, sit ups, etc all really important. My stitches are very rare since I started strengthening my core muscles.

Breathing-This is the key! I have to concentrate very hard on keeping my breathing deep, slow and steady. Sometimes if I'm running in a big race I get all excited with the crowd, noises etc, get all excited, and my breathing goes out of control leaving me with a stitch.

Was gonna start wk 3 again this morning but i woke up absolutely starving and could face running with the hunger! So i shall go a lot later and try out the suggestions by you lovely people

Was gonna start wk 3 again this morning but i woke up absolutely starving and could face running with the hunger! So i shall go a lot later and try out the suggestions by you lovely people

Nice and upright, that balloon is pulling you up straight......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just found this thread now. I've been doing the C25K on and off with a few weeks.

Motivation is not my strong point.

I finished week 3 a few days ago but I think I need to do it again just to get me more prepared for week 4!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't overthink it. Just go out and do it, it doesn't take a long time and you'll feel a lot better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just found this thread now. I've been doing the C25K on and off with a few weeks.

I finished week 3 a few days ago but I think I need to do it again just to get me more prepared for week 4!

Motivation is a big thing for me, the hardest part I find is getting out the door, once I do that the rest just follows.

I find it helps to have music or the radio to listen to and it really helps to get into my running gear, its a lot harder to make excuses not to go out when you are dressed for it. On really bad days I will promise myself a treat if I go out. And as you get through the program enter an event, when you have something to work towards you are more likely to go out. I also try not to miss more than one run, once you start missing more than that its harder to get back to it.

As time has gone on and I've gotten fitter the motivation hasn't been so much of an issue and actually I find myself looking forward to going out so hopefully in time you will feel the same. Good luck!!

4.3 km this evening on the road. Went alright but I need to step up the distances if I have any hope of doing this 10km on may 17th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 5 day 2 finished yesterday evening. First 8 minutes I was flying! :) Then I had the 5 minute walk and I think it cut my rhythm, I found the second 8 minutes much slower.

• Advertisement

Week 5 day 2 finished yesterday evening. First 8 minutes I was flying! :) Then I had the 5 minute walk and I think it cut my rhythm, I found the second 8 minutes much slower.

That's what I was finding too so I ended up stopping the intervals and just running.

sullivlo wrote: »
    That's what I was finding too so I ended up stopping the intervals and just running.
    The intervals will be over soon anyway so I'll stick with it for the moment!

The intervals will be over soon anyway so I'll stick with it for the moment!

Ah yeah, I know. It's better to stick with the program. I'm gonna restart week 6 whenever I clear my chest. Have had a cold the past few weeks so running hasn't been so productive.

Need to get over my hatred of going out in the rain,twice now i have decided to eat cause it was raining and both times as soon as I have it stops!

Also bought a holster thing today to hold my inhaler and stuff due to lack of gear with pockets :)

Also bought a holster thing today to hold my inhaler and stuff due to lack of gear with pockets :)

I use a bumbag. Im having a rest week but Im kinda sorry I missed a rain run this morning because I find my sinuses prefer the rain!

I set out looking for a bum bag but couldnt find one so settled for that!
    Im just adverse to leaving the house when its raining..it can bucket down when im out i dont care, its just that initial getting out in it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Went out this morning and did just shy of three miles, felt every minute of it in the wind but was worth it. I'll enjoy my curry tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Doing week 7 day 3 tomorrow. Took yesterday off but walked 10km earlier. I like my long Sunday morning walk. :)

Did Week 5 day 3 this morning, think I'm better sticking to evening running, the run itself was grand but I've been starving all day! It's better to go just before dinner, like that I just eat normally.

• Advertisement

Awesome stuff ladies!

I finished repeating wk3 today, just wanna say thanks to all of you that advised me on the whole stitch thing! Three workouts and no stitch, all thanks to you guys! :)

Advertisement