Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I go in the morning on a completely empty stomach to avoid stitches
    I did eat a pear before my last long one and it cut out the long warm up time I usually have, but I did get a mild stitch later on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Right. Noob here: I worked my way up to 3 miles, and my plan is to do 3 miles 3 times a week. But I find that my right hip gets sore during the run, and my lower back gets really stiff later on in the day, something that will last for a couple of days.
    My trainers are old, and this is the week I've decided to shell out for a new pair, but are there any specific stretches that will help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Right. Noob here: I worked my way up to 3 miles, and my plan is to do 3 miles 3 times a week. But I find that my right hip gets sore during the run, and my lower back gets really stiff later on in the day, something that will last for a couple of days.
    My trainers are old, and this is the week I've decoded to shell out for a new pair, but are there any specific stretches that will help?

I do mid, lower back and hamstring stretches after any run. Look up youtube for ones suitable for wherever you are (I have different ones I use depending on if Im outdoors or at the gym or on my pilates mat at home etc...).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If it's something that's really painful or worrying to you - see a physio.

I've had similar issues in the past and it turned out to be issues with my glutes not activating properly while running. Lunges, single-leg squats, clamshells and straight leg raises, making sure to get the glutes involved, can all help.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

In recent months I've only had a stitch once and that was the only time I went running after breakfast (and hour or so) - I'd normally go for a run first thing. I found deep breathing and slowing down a bit helped it pass and thankfully I didn't have to stop entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've never had a stitch or injury in my 15 months running. I was very overweight when I started in Jan 2013 (I am not now though!). I finished C25K March 2013.
    I run 3 times a week, and I've only missed 2 runs in that time (once my foot felt weird but it turned out to be nothing, and the other time I was quite sick).

I am not exaggerating when I say that taking up running is the best thing I've ever done and it's totally changed my life.
    I've done two races 5K but I wasn't really into them - I just like to run by myself and not put big pressure on myself.

This is my routine:
    - A few minutes before I go, I eat a piece of fruit - usually a small banana, a few grapes, a little orange.
    - I walk for 0.5KM very briskly before I start running (I've set my app to announce every 0.5K to me).
    - I walk for 0.5KM very briskly when I stop running.

I used to run 5KM 3 times a week, but in the last 2 weeks I've upped that to 5.5KM. I plan to do this for several months.
    I do a simple progressive bodyweight exercises in my living room on my off days (takes 20 mins), and take Sunday off. I walk a lot as a matter of course.

I didn't get a gait analysis done, or buy special runners - I wear New Balance 577's made in England, and have done for 15 years, so I thought "if they're good enough for me to walk in every day, they're good enough to run in". That may not have been the right thing to do, but I did it and I see no reason to change now! I have a pair reserved for running in only.

I'm not sure of the point of this post! I thought it might be of interest to somebody!
    I am very interested in what other people do after C25K!

quaalude wrote: »
    I just like to run by myself and not put big pressure on myself.

I feel exactly the same. I have had knee problems since age 12 (Im 40 now) and in 28 years I have had hundreds of knee dislocations, 2 knee surgeries, spent about 2 years on crutches (if you add it up), and spent about 3 years actually not able to use my leg except as a pole.

So when I started couch to 5k, I had not run in 25/26 years and I was not even able to run for 30 seconds. Also, I had that thing happen that happens children who start walking whereby I couldnt control the speed of my legs and would fall just because I was going too fast for myself.

So I spent 4 months getting to a point where I could run for a minute. Then I quit smoking. The I spent the next 4 months doing couch to 5k - I had to stretch it out as I simply didnt have the leg strength to do it in the weekly increments given.

Eventually the day came where I ran for 20 minutes and when i stopped my legs gave out from under me and I hit the ground. That was a good day :)

Now I run twice a week. Ive been using a treadmill recently and working on increasing my speed but for me its really just the pleasure of doing an hours run (regardless of how far Ive gone) that I like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had walking runners that were tearing my feet to shreds so unlike you I did get a proper pair of running ones and a gait analysis. Big difference.
    I was very slowly upping the time after finishing c25k in september until one day on the cross trainer I zoned out a bit, listened to music, and had an hour done before I knew it. After that I decided any hindrance to my running progress was purely psychological and got up an hour within a couple months of finishing c25k.
    I had to stop again for completely unrelated injury and illness until about 6 weeks ago and now I'm up to 1 hour 52 as of last saturday, 13.3k. Still very, very slow, but I am doing a bit of sprinting and speed attempts as well as long slow jogs.
    Done a couple of 5ks and said I would do a 10k race in a couple weeks because I am mental :confused:
    I'm also doing it on a treadmill. I'll have to start doing park runs

Well done everyone progressing, there's loads of you and it's really nice to see

I started Couch to 5k in July 2008, finished it in September. Did the Rathfarnham 5k about a month after that. My first 10km in December 2008 and second one around 4 months later. Half marathon in June 2009, second half in September 2009 and my first marathon in October 2009. Possibly a little too much too soon. Overall, I've done 3 marathons, 9 halfs and loads of shorter races.

I fell very heavily during the Limerick half in May 2012 and did my back and pelvis some damage. I've been dealing with the after-effects of that since then - there have been times where everything is fine, there have been times where anything more than 30 minutes of swimming would have me in a lot of pain.

This has been a bit of a kick in the arse for me to switch my training more towards triathlon rather than just running, these days I swim twice a week, cycle or spin twice a week and run three times a week. Seems to be working, not much pain since the start of 2014, and generally getting 6 solid workouts a week in. I'm back up to being able to complete a 10km race (very slowly, I was 8 minutes outside my PB) or long run, and no real effects from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

I bought a bike last September and have to say, my legs feel much better for running since I took up cycling. Now I have bought a second hand road bike with a view to getting out on longer spins and I hope it will help my glutes get stronger too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I started C25K a complete couch potato and junk food lover, now I am running three times a week, yoga or walking on alternate days and doing strength training 6 days a week. I had planned on doing a 10k running plan but have just moved on at my own pace which seems to suit me better, have done a good few events now and did my first half marathon last year, doing another this year and maybe the big one in 2015. My diet has totally changed, I'm now looking at food as fuel for my run and avoiding the rubbish I used to take for granted. I have been really amazed to find that I love exercise!! I actually struggle to have a rest day each week, I just want to be up and doing something. A really nice bonus is that running really helps me keep on top of my depression, its been a huge help in that regard. I'm a lot more active, have so much more energy, have a lot more hands on time with my kids. I'm 37 and in the best shape I've ever been and I only wish I had started it years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 5 day 1 done yesterday evening, it was fine. I even seemed to get a second wind for the last 5 minute run! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've been lurking on this thread for ages, think I posted when I was going to do this before, but then ankle injuries started piling up. I downloaded the Zombies Run c25k app this morning, so I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has anyone done / is doing the follow-on from C25K to bring you up to 10K and how did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Has anyone done / is doing the follow-on from C25K to bring you up to 10K and how did you find it?

I hated it as there's a lot of run 1 minute, walk 1 minute...I find if I stop, I'm fecked and I can't start again. But I naturally progressed to 10k by upping my run by 1km per week. I'm back to that progression again now after taking a break from running. At 8km so next 2 two weeks should see the 10k mark.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Is there podcasts or a program for the follow on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is there podcasts or a program for the follow on?

Coolrunnings has a Bridge to 10k plan, the Irish Times get running also has a 10k plan.

I'm with Lucyfur though, after building myself up to running with no intervals the thought of going back to them isn't appealing at all. Instead I just keep upping my distance on every run.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Getting there girls - now on week 7, day 2 (which I did yesterday) and I'm jogging for 25 minutes - really proud of myself and the fact that I can do it is giving me great motivation to keep it all up. I finally got an armband for my phone which is great and although I don't enjoy it, i'm looking forward to joining my sister's running club and running with a group (albeit slowly!) and doing the Marlay Park fun run 5k on a Saturday. My sister said that she never enjoyed the running alone C25k part herself but loves the running club so I'm looking forward to being more social with my new hobby! She also says that the time absolutely flies when you're in a group so I hope that's true!!

I'd agree with that. I've always found it fun to have some company while running. Went to the local club for the first time there on Tuesday night, and a 9-10km hilly run felt like nothing because I got chatting to some of the other women on the way around. :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    Coolrunnings has a Bridge to 10k plan, the Irish Times get running also has a 10k plan.

I'm with Lucyfur though, after building myself up to running with no intervals the thought of going back to them isn't appealing at all. Instead I just keep upping my distance on every run.

Thanks!

I nearly always have a couple of rest intervals in a run anyway so I might try it. I read an article by Scott Bakula one time and he said he likes to go for a run for an hour or so, he walks for 2/3 mins as a warm up, then runs for 15/20, walks for 1 or 2, runs 15/20 etc... Something about the rest intervals actually being helpful, I can't remember the details but I'm happy to follow the Captain Archer school of running tips ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Well, I'm up to week 6 day 2 now. Day 3 is a 22 minute run so it's all non-stop runs from here on. Hopefully I'll be okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

TOwpEtB.jpg

Or there is a slight, tiny chance the app misfunctioned.

Thought I was getting reasonably fit. Can run three miles easily enough, commuting to work by bike, hiked a lot over reasonable distances in February while on hols, with no issues.

Went up carrauntoohil yesterday and I am absolutely banjaxed today. Can barely walk. :(.

It was really beautiful though. Delighted we did it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Ran 3 km today and then walked 4 km. I'm happy with it but I need to work harder. I currently have a cold type thing though so now is not the week to push myself too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Does anyone mind if I put my cycling progress in here too?

Fine by me! I'll join you. Only got out for a spin on my new bike once so far :(. Muscles still fecked after mountain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

fits wrote: »
    Fine by me! I'll join you. Only got out for a spin on my new bike once so far :(. Muscles still fecked after mountain.

And me.

I'll inflate my tyres tomorrow and drive to the sea for a cycle.

fits wrote: »
    Thought I was getting reasonably fit. Can run three miles easily enough, commuting to work by bike, hiked a lot over reasonable distances in February while on hols, with no issues.

Went up carrauntoohil yesterday and I am absolutely banjaxed today. Can barely walk. :(.

It was really beautiful though. Delighted we did it.

I'll never forget the day after I climbed the Galtees. We were at the fit end of the rugby season - two nights training (push-up sit up core etc; sprints; drills; running) and an 80 minute match each week. I was in agony for days.

But worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Week three has been completed..but I'd be so much happier if I didnt have to keep stopping for these damn stitches..I think I'd have no bother with the slightly longer intervals if it wasnt for them.
    All week I have stretched stretched stretched,gone out with nothing digesting and its still happening a few mins into my run... I really hope I can figure it out or else I dont see myself finish this and thats very disappointing :(

• Advertisement

Those of you cycling, are you on road bikes? How long did it take to get used to it? I find it quite hard on my neck and shoulders.

Just been out for a 12 km spin, including one 3 km hill ( amongst others - I am in Kerry). bike is great, so light and easy to go up hills but think it will take me a while to get used to it.

And yeah still suffering from the mountain the other day! Just able to walk normally again... freaking hell, that reaction took me by surprise I have to say.

Advertisement