Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭jones

Well I've put 40 hours into it so that's obviously doing all the collectables etc. I'm so close to getting platinum that I feel I must now ha. Excellent game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Only got this today and am enjoying it. I'm having problems with one captain who is basically immune to every sort of attack and his only weakness/or fear (can't remember which) is being set on fire. This little A-hole also likes to show up to parties at the worst times imaginable, has this something to do with his ambusher perk? Looking back through the last couple of pages here I see people are mentioning branding, I haven't unlocked that yet, would this make handling this guy much easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I reckon its fear of burning. So my suggestion would be to fight him near a firepit, and when he's standing nearby it, shoot it with an arrow to make it explode (I dont think exploding pits is a perk)

Being set on fire will make him flee in terror, so you can chase him down and grapple him. My understanding is too, if you exploit a weakness, his strengths get cancelled out, so should then be vulnerable to everything then - but not been able to confirm that with googling.. pretty sure I read that on a loading screen tooltip

branding probably would help (could insta-brand him once you caught him fleeing), but its unlocked from story progress, and this captain is probably standing in the way of that atm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I hadn't finished this, but after playing a bit of it at a friend's place last week, I've thrown myself back into it and am planning on getting it wrapped up this week. I've got 2 Warchief's to brand and then what I believe is the final mission.

Can't overstate how useful it is to have the special abilities for the sword, dagger and bow unlocked, the sword one in particular is great when you're surrounded and there are archers making a pin cushion out of you - infinite decapitations for all!

Again, I *REALLY* hope that we get orcs as playable characters for a DLC treat and make it all Half-Life Opposing Force style by occasionally having the Orc story crossover with the main one.

Sequel needs to have Spiders, Nazgul, The Eye (searching) and maybe even Sarumon's Uruk Hai. Run it in parallel to Frodo's quest and have it being a ranger of Gondor with a different wraith and different origins story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Had to instal like a 2gig+ patch this evening, anyone have any idea whats that about? Surely that's too big for fixing the odd bug here and there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Has it been a while since you played it? Didn't they add some free content to it over the last month or so? Could be that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fair annoying. Playing away tonight when it suddenly boots me out because it needs an update. 3 gb. Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Is that the first DLC out tomorrow?

Seems to be, yea. Warchief's that can ride beasts is a cool idea, another nice layer of challenge on top of the formula.

I was just about to go buy the season pass when Steam thankfully told me I already bought the Premium edition to avoid such things. Between downloading Elite and this, my UPC connection will be busy tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Sorry if its been posted already but would this be worth purchasing on Xbox360 or PS3? I think I heard its buggy on the 360.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Have almost cored this game now...really enjoying it.

For the captains who are hard, exploiting their weakness also reduces their strengths and you can defeat them then. Or you can send one of your branded minions after then to duel and eh.... "help" them win it :)

Right now I think I'm actually a lot more of a villain than the orcs, as I have everything unlocked and basically can skip lightly through the fields shooting, stabbing and ganking orcs for kicks. I thought I had basically broken the game because there is no real challenge left but actually its still fun to just run around the place, stabbing orcs in the head :)

And there in lies the true joy of this game - it's as much fun when you have no super powers as when you're the Mac Daddy of Mordor slicin up Orkses to beat the band - just a different sort of fun. You can impose challenges on yourself or just go hog-wild :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

brevity wrote: »
    Sorry if its been posted already but would this be worth purchasing on Xbox360 or PS3? I think I heard its buggy on the 360.

Great game, but given that the Nemesis mechanic is severely gimped (or removed) I wouldn't bother. Not meant to look that great either on last gen.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Shiminay wrote: »
    And there in lies the true joy of this game - it's as much fun when you have no super powers as when you're the Mac Daddy of Mordor slicin up Orkses to beat the band - just a different sort of fun. You can impose challenges on yourself or just go hog-wild :)
    I had loads of fun the other night really carefully stalking some captain named Ragnuk (or something) who had killed Shiminay a few times it seemed and I figured, well... theres a challenge! Little bastid was tough as nails....

I really like the idea of avenging mates and infiltrating the orc hierarchy though I must admit that I didn't do much of the latter as I mostly just went Hannibal Lecter on their asses.

Btw, humble brag, but if you plan on wiping out the all the hierarchy entirely, (just you know, for the giggles)... be aware that

1. If you die they will refill.
    2. if you advance time they will refill.
    3. The game seems to have a limit of time before it will just force a refill on you.
    4. The game also seems to have a lower limit of captains before it will force a refill on you (yeah, that one was quite annoying as its something like 4 :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DeVore wrote: »
    I had loads of fun the other night really carefully stalking some captain named Ragnuk (or something) who had killed Shiminay a few times it seemed and I figured, well... theres a challenge! Little bastid was tough as nails....

I really like the idea of avenging mates and infiltrating the orc hierarchy though I must admit that I didn't do much of the latter as I mostly just went Hannibal Lecter on their asses.

Btw, humble brag, but if you plan on wiping out the all the hierarchy entirely, (just you know, for the giggles)... be aware that

1. If you die they will refill.
    2. if you advance time they will refill.
    3. The game seems to have a limit of time before it will just force a refill on you.
    4. The game also seems to have a lower limit of captains before it will force a refill on you (yeah, that one was quite annoying as its something like 4 :( )

If you bind everybody to you, you can slaughter them all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If you bind everybody to you, you can slaughter them all at once.

evilest.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is anyone have issues with the DLC? I've bought it, and downloaded it, but it still appears as locked within the game. I've tried wiping out my local content and installing it again, as well as downloading the DLC through the game, rather than the external PSN store.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are you logged into the Warner Network software thingy? (can't for the life of me remember what it's called). I think in the main menu, where you can choose to start a new game, there's an option just below it to connect to the network (you do it on the web and just sign in, in-game). I dont' know if that's needed to use the DLC or not, though.

Inspired by this very thread, last night I branded all 5 War Chief's at Núrn so I'm all set to go take on the Black Hand, but as always, I got side tracked :D I noticed I still had a Bow and 2 dagger missions to complete, so knocked some of them out of the way (just one dagger one remains).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Does the DLC include a new area/map or just pop new harder Beastmaster warchiefs into the original maps?

Puts them into the second map only. There's some fair criticism that it's not a great implementation - it doesn't integrate into the main story (fair enough I suppose) and they seem to have replaced some animal types rather than added to the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Great game, but given that the Nemesis mechanic is severely gimped (or removed) I wouldn't bother. Not meant to look that great either on last gen.

Cheers. I did a bit more reading and seems the best thing would be to wait till I cab get my hands on a ps4 or xbox1...or build my own PC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Doing a bow mission and a captain appeared. Struggling with the achers anyway now a captain.........oh look another captain..

10 archers 2 captains.....me dead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got this today in gamestop for 54

I finished this today.... very well done and enjoyable. Its probably a touch easy towards the end but I enjoyed the agency of just swinging around the place lopping off Orc heads at will...

Not giving away any spoilers but the big ending isn't all that difficult a fight. I was gearing myself up for at least as tough a fight as the mid-boss but it actually easier really... Still... its a good ending all the same.

Really enjoyed this... pity the DLC is so shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

£28 on Amazon,I'm debating if I should order it-I ordered The Last Of Us the other day and got Far Cry 4 as a pressie.I'll end up with too many games and too little time to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

DeVore wrote: »
    I finished this today.... very well done and enjoyable. Its probably a touch easy towards the end but I enjoyed the agency of just swinging around the place lopping off Orc heads at will...

Not giving away any spoilers but the big ending isn't all that difficult a fight. I was gearing myself up for at least as tough a fight as the mid-boss but it actually easier really... Still... its a good ending all the same.

Really enjoyed this... pity the DLC is so shallow.

Yeah was really hoping the end fight to be better. Infact, I thought the fight with the first black captian the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bored halfway through, not played it since.
    There is no stealth element to it really, you can run straight up to someone and just do them in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Loving this game so far. Is it free roam once you finish it?

Advertisement