Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

That was truly shocking by Andy, I know Federer played extremely well and Andy was clearly feeling the effects of the last few weeks but that was a very very poor performance. He barely looked like he was trying for a lot of it.

To be fair the final could be interesting... Djokovic and Federer are both playing so well.

But then again I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic won it 6-1 6-2. Nobody seems to be able to figure out a way to beat him on this surface, he's just too good at the moment. I bet he wishes one or more of the slams were indoors!

Roll on Australia if you ask me, I always find the bit after the US open rather boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What thread are we meant to be using for the WTFS?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

The one tanya30 set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

WaterLily. wrote: »
    That was truly shocking by Andy, I know Federer played extremely well and Andy was clearly feeling the effects of the last few weeks but that was a very very poor performance. He barely looked like he was trying for a lot of it.

To be fair the final could be interesting... Djokovic and Federer are both playing so well.

But then again I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic won it 6-1 6-2. Nobody seems to be able to figure out a way to beat him on this surface, he's just too good at the moment. I bet he wishes one or more of the slams were indoors!

Roll on Australia if you ask me, I always find the bit after the US open rather boring.

Totally agree - however final could be good.

I find Fed amazing - he just shouldn't be doing what he is doing at 33.5 practically. Should be at home getting fat watching TV - however he certainly ain't doing that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What thread are we meant to be using for the WTFS?:confused:
    Dunno why another one set up, I'll be using this one anyway.

• Advertisement

Djokovic dropped a set :eek::eek::eek:

Come on Nishikori! At least Djokovic is being made to work for this now! :P

Something interesting has happened:eek:

Lets go Kei:)

We spoke too soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Wouldn't it be typical if Stan plays out of his skin tonight to deprive Federer the chance to give Novak a good match. (Stan will get no where against Novak in the final.)

EDIT: Yep, it's happening.

EDIT 2: yikes, what a rollercoaster. Delighted :D

What a week for the ATP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't expect Federer to put up much of a fight today anyway but it must be serious if he's pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Didn't expect Federer to put up much of a fight today anyway but it must be serious if he's pulled out.

Fair play to Murray for agreeing to an exhibition match with Djokovic - considering he has already made an exhibition of himself against Federer a couple of days ago!

Can't believe it! Wawrinka must be fuming!! That's a shame anyway hopefully it's nothing too serious.

What a complete shambles of a week overall!

Federer has won some of their matches this year and does not have a winning h2h overall, its never a mismatch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If he plays on Friday the sh1t will really hit the fan :D

If he plays on Friday the sh1t will really hit the fan :D

Why? :confused:

He could be fit by then and he has never won the Davis Cup. I think he would have be to really bad not to play the final, the reserves Switzerland have are awful.

The WTA finals were much better than the ATP ones. Fairly disappointing tournament tbh.

RosyLily wrote: »
    The WTA finals were much better than the ATP ones. Fairly disappointing tournament tbh.

Its been ****ing brutal to be honest,the Swiss semi final was great but the rest was meh or utter muck. Even the semi between Novak and Kei was a non contest for two sets.

Federer has won some of their matches this year and does not have a winning h2h overall, its never a mismatch.

I didn't say it was a mismatch.

He played a tough match against Wawrinka the night before, didn't get through with press until the early hours of the morning. Djokovic has pretty much cruised through the week without having to get out of 2nd gear and was finished his match hours before Federer's even started.

Eurosport have posted an article on their Facebook page deriding Federer, with the headline "Shameful Roger Federer has betrayed spirit of sport". It's probably the most shameless example of clickbait I've ever seen. I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Eurosport have posted an article on their Facebook page deriding Federer, with the headline "Shameful Roger Federer has betrayed spirit of sport". It's probably the most shameless example of clickbait I've ever seen. I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

Do they think he played 4 matches just to cry off at the end? One thing Fed has never done is betrayed his sport. Surprised at Eurosport taking a cheap shot like that.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Do they think he played 4 matches just to cry off at the end? One thing Fed has never done is betrayed his sport. Surprised at Eurosport taking a cheap shot like that.

They've posted some trollish things before, although this article comes across like a writer who blatantly dislikes Federer and seized a flimsy opportunity to criticise him. Either way, its pathetic.

Link if anyone is interested or wants to read hack journalism!:pac:

It does seem like the writer doesn't like Federer. Very cheap shot at a player that has withdrawn from 3 matches in his long career. At 33, you're going to feel injuries more and it's going to take longer to recover. With the hassle Federer has had with his back in the past, withdrawing was a safe, 'protecting the body' option. Especially with the Davis Cup coming up.

It really annoys me when I see stuff like this! Does the writer even watch tennis?:mad:

Never been a huge Federer fan myself but anyone can see from his track record that he doesn't just pull out of matches on a whim.

There's a rumour doing the rounds that Roger and Stan had a massive argument after their match the other night. Something to do with Mirka, apparently. There's lots of half heard things doing the rounds on twitter so I don't know what did or didn't happen but it'll make the Davis Cup final interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There's a rumour doing the rounds that Roger and Stan had a massive argument after their match the other night. Something to do with Mirka, apparently. There's lots of half heard things doing the rounds on twitter so I don't know what did or didn't happen but it'll make the Davis Cup final interesting.

In the third set Stan was pointing his racket in a threatening manner, almost like he was putting a contract on some bloke in the crowd :D didn't think it was in the direction of Fed's box however

In the third set Stan was pointing his racket in a threatening manner, almost like he was putting a contract on some bloke in the crowd :D didn't think it was in the direction of Fed's box however

What I heard was Mirka was talking constantly when Stan had BP or MP or something and when they were arguing after he was saying that she had done it at Wimbledon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

They've posted some trollish things before, although this article comes across like a writer who blatantly dislikes Federer and seized a flimsy opportunity to criticise him. Either way, its pathetic.

Shocking article.

In saying that I hope he doesn't play Davis Cup - would make decision somewhat dubious although can't really question Fed.

What I heard was Mirka was talking constantly when Stan had BP or MP or something and when they were arguing after he was saying that she had done it at Wimbledon too.

Heard that too. Apparently Stan and Roger talked things out into the wee hours. Severin stuck in the middle trying to manage them. Not sure whether they've resolved things though.

Shocking article.

In saying that I hope he doesn't play Davis Cup - would make decision somewhat dubious although can't really question Fed.

It will be ****e without him, the Swiss reserves Chiundelli and Lammer wouldn't win a set between them.

Hope he plays and not bothered if one of the main reasons he pulled out last night was because he wanted to be ready for the davis cup final. Why would anyone?

If Roger was the type to pull out because he feared getting trashed, why did he bother to show up to play Nadal in Slams?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Tanya30

What are your thoughts on Murray-Mauresmo partnership?

Media including Barry Cowan, Annabel Croft and Greg Rusedski saying that s change is needed, which I 100% agree with.

Andy not been same since Lendl left and serve got worse too so something not right.

As for who I would like as replacement, John McEnroe or Andre Agassi. Barry Cowan reckons Mats Wilander but he has far to much media commitments so can be ruled out.

Any other potential coaches who could do a good job?

Rafa will return in January for the Abu Dhabi exhibition. Quite a long lay-off for him. Will be interested in see how he plays there and at Aussie.

I read Cowan's opinion on Murray's coach situation. I say give it more time. Mauresmo is only on board for 5 months and he was with Lendl for 3 years. If things don't improve after a year then I'd change it up. Murray doesn't seem like the type to jump to dumping the coach.

Davis Cup singles draw made. First is Wawrinka vs Tsonga then Federer vs Monfils. Reverse singles the next day.

Davis Cup singles draw made. First is Wawrinka vs Tsonga then Federer vs Monfils. Reverse singles the next day.

Don't forget the doubles, they are Saturday and reverse singles Sunday.

Wawrinka gives Switzerland the lead, beats Tsonga. Will be interesting to see how Federer plays against Monfils.

Wawrinka gives Switzerland the lead, beats Tsonga. Will be interesting to see how Federer plays against Monfils.

****e.

Monfils was great but watching these performances can't help but think nobody in men's tennis has pissed away so much natural talent inn the last decade, such a ****ing mental midget. :(

• Advertisement

****e.

Monfils was great but watching these performances can't help but think nobody in men's tennis has pissed away so much natural talent inn the last decade, such a ****ing mental midget. :(

I feel like that's the story with a lot of French players, Tsgona and Gasquet are both incredible on their day but just can't keep it together when it really matters. But Monfils has to be the worst of them all, he has so so much talent and could definitely win multiple slams if he really applied himself.

But I suppose that's the difference between Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and those kind of players. Talent only gets you so far.

France going with Olympic bronze medalists Benneteau and Gasquet for doubles tomorrow. Up against Chiudinelli and Lammer. Looks to be in French favour but you never know!

Would like to see Switzerland win their first DC.

Always a swerve with the dbls, Gasman and Benneteau will defo play, but would be shocked if Stan or Roger did not play for Switzerland.

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I feel like that's the story with a lot of French players, Tsgona and Gasquet are both incredible on their day but just can't keep it together when it really matters. But Monfils has to be the worst of them all, he has so so much talent and could definitely win multiple slams if he really applied himself.

But I suppose that's the difference between Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and those kind of players. Talent only gets you so far.

I'd argue that Monfils has more attributes than both those especially Gasquet.

What are the flaws in his game? His court coverage is as good as Nadals, his speed immense, solid first serve and backhand and probably the best forehand in tennis, or at least up their with the one of Del Potro.

Sadly so often he can be really negative, he has spent his whole career playing defensively relying on the other player to make errors by pushing instead of utilising his beastly forehand in ending points quickly. Murray when young was guilty of this, but of course he evolved and won everything.

Monfils has the flamboyant personality, but in truth so often it is his lack of guts when playing and especially when closing a game which has killed him.

The French Open against Murray was a great example, on the back foot for the first two sets which Murray cruised, then went all out attack the next two sets and crushed Murray and then in the deciding set with Murray on the rack he bottled it and lost it 6-0. :rolleyes:

Have a look at this, break and set down and he tries this against Haas. Monfils has much more natural talent than Haas, but Haas is the one who has never been a mental midget and who has the better career? Monfils plays a trick shot to please the crowd, essentially giving up on the point, Haas does not acknowledge it, he would rather win the match.

And this at Wimbledon,some magic, but no effort most of the time. He lost against a much inferior but more determind opponent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Always a swerve with the dbls, Gasman and Benneteau will defo play, but would be shocked if Stan or Roger did not play for Switzerland.

good call Swiss went with R Federer (SWI) / S Wawrinka (SWI) they're leading 2 sets to nil so far but are 2-1 down in third.

Edit: now 4-2 up in the third set!

• Advertisement

Good win for Fedrinka. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Will Federer be the hero and win his match? Or will it be Wawrinka?

Could you imagine if Monfils lost a 5 setter and cost France the trophy!:eek:

Not seen any of the doubles but from all accounts Gasquet was ****ing dreadful, a risk if their ever was one picking him.

Should have played Vassellin with Benny, but ah well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not seen any of the doubles but from all accounts Gasquet was ****ing dreadful, a risk if their ever was one picking him.

Should have played Vassellin with Benny, but ah well.

Yes, he didn't play well, way too many mistakes. They knew he was the weak link and went after him, from what I could see.

Gasquet is playing ahead of Tsonga.

Which is as good a a bye.

Switzerland have won the Davis Cup. Pleased for Stan, hopefully ir sets him up for a good 2015. :)

Well done Switzerland, and in particular Fed. Absolutely awesome 3 sets of tennis. Still love Gasquet's backhand, though, what a weapon. He did give his all. I wonder what's going on with Tsonga?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Well done Switzerland, and in particular Fed. Absolutely awesome 3 sets of tennis. Still love Gasquet's backhand, though, what a weapon. He did give his all. I wonder what's going on with Tsonga?

French camp was saying elbow injury. Commentators on Eurosport alluded to "something psychological.":confused:

Delighted for Switzerland!! Was well-deserved. Stan played unbelievably all weekend. Hopefully it'll give him and Federer and boost for the 2015 season. It did wonders for Djokovic in 2011!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I know it was Gasquet (who played well enough in fairness), but that's probably some of the cleanest hitting I've ever seen Roger do.

Nick Saviano and Eugenie Bouchard have parted ways. Statement was released from Saviano, not Genie. Quite surprising since it seemed like they worked well together. Wonder will he join Laura Robson's team for 2015?:pac:

Simona Halep has hired Victor Ionita as her coach. She also has Thomas Hogsteadt on board as coaching consultant for the first 3 tournaments of the season. Ionita worked with Sorana Cirstea before.

Congrats Andy & Kim! :)

Murray and Sharapova are playing doubles on Sky Sports 3 right now. Once in a lifetime viewing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement