Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2013/2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I know what cosplay is :D. You have asthma?

I do, it's really bad and so annoying. I try my best to play some football and that but I still end up all wheezy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I do, it's really bad and so annoying. I try my best to play some football and that but I still end up all wheezy :P

That sucks. Being a energetic person myself, I would hate to have asthma.

Was walking around with Italian students for the day.

Also, found out today that I'm definitely using a Tablet next year.

My back is saved!

Had another day with the Italian students today and the final day tomorrow, ah they're some bunch.

We were playing football and my god I am alright at it and think it's a great sport but they are beyond good :P

Ireland vs Italy... Didn't pan out too well for us :rolleyes: Although I managed to score 2 goals :)

Had another day with the Italian students today and the final day tomorrow, ah they're some bunch.

We were playing football and my god I am alright at it and think it's a great sport but they are beyond good :P

Ireland vs Italy... Didn't pan out too well for us :rolleyes: Although I managed to score 2 goals :)
    Up the dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Hey guys,
    Quick question :) Contacting a few pharma companies re work experience, but as I expected, no contact emails to be found! Do you think it would be more appropriate to contact a few HR people directly on LinkedIn(slightly stalkery?), or to send the company a letter ( and run the risk of it getting lost on a desk somewhere)?
    Cheers

pvakelly wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Quick question :) Contacting a few pharma companies re work experience, but as I expected, no contact emails to be found! Do you think it would be more appropriate to contact a few HR people directly on LinkedIn(slightly stalkery?), or to send the company a letter ( and run the risk of it getting lost on a desk somewhere)?
    Cheers

LinkedIn is created so you would have contacts with organisations. Contacting people for simple things like work experience doesn't seem a bad thing. I have a friend who worked in a Pharmacy for wk in Dublin City.

I'm just finishing up a week in a pharma company and really enjoyed it, but didn't get as much time as I would have liked in the lab ( I was based in finance ) . The brief time I had there was fantastic so I want to do another WE in a company, where I'll be in the lab more :)

pvakelly wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up a week in a pharma company and really enjoyed it, but didn't get as much time as I would have liked in the lab ( I was based in finance ) . The brief time I had there was fantastic so I want to do another WE in a company, where I'll be in the lab more :)

You could try the labs at the universities.

Good idea , it never crossed my mind :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

You could try the labs at the universities.

From what I've heard, second level students cannot go into labs in universities..? They can only sit in lectures..

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    From what I've heard, second level students cannot go into labs in universities..? They can only sit in lectures..

I think it really depends on the lab. When I did the Trinity Biochemistry and Immunology programme, I spent most of my time at the lab observing and helping around.

I also emailed the lab of genetics at trinity many months ago for work experience. They said they would take me in the lab, but they were full because other students also applied.

Wouldn't hurt to ask around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Hey just heard news that I got a job as a kitchen porter in a local restaurant! The place is very very busy so trust me there will be plenty of work! Im wondering has anyone worked the job of Kitchen Porter before? Any advice or tips? I have no experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

To be honest, nearing the end of my TY year and it's not as good as it was described, work experience, driving lessons, law day and ECDL were the only things that I actually enjoyed. The promise of no homework was nonsense, I've got a 30 page French project to finish up for Thursday.

Well my TY has been, interesting to say the least.
    There is basically no work done which at times I like but a lot of the time it can be a pain.
    The other day our Heritage teacher set us a project (We don't get homework just projects) and everyone started laughing!
    The general consensus seems to be that projects are optional!
    The teachers are actually having a staff meeting tomorrow over it.
    I just finished my Law Project there now and I've sent it.
    Looking forward to Shave Or Dye and PaintBall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Does anyone have any advice on work experience places in the field of game development/IT/Computing.
    Do they expect you to have some knowledge of the skill required at these workplaces or is it fine to go as a complete beginner who has no idea what they do but just wants to check it out and learn

Does anyone have any advice on work experience places in the field of game development/IT/Computing.
    Do they expect you to have some knowledge of the skill required at these workplaces or is it fine to go as a complete beginner who has no idea what they do but just wants to check it out and learn

You won't find many game development studios in Ireland unless you love apps. I did a week at IBM back in Janurary and they first start off by just sort of finding out how much you know, now I had built computers before and understood a lot about servers but if I was a complete beginner then they wouldn't have cared as they seemed very willing to teach anyone anything. You'll find it hard to get into there though, I have a cousin there so that helped me get in.

You'll find a lot of places honestly won't let people in, I emailed 15-20 companies in the IT industry, most said no, some didn't reply back and IBM was the only one to ask for more info about what week I wanted to get in and stuff.

Just came back from a three day expedition on the Wicklow mountains! The highlight of my ty year so far.

Please appreciate what you have at home... Trust me, it's hard up there, especially when you get to the point when you have to ration food and water and your sleeping bag is slipping downwards a slope..

Just came back from a three day expedition on the Wicklow mountains! The highlight of my ty year so far.

Please appreciate what you have at home... Trust me, it's hard up there, especially when you get to the point when you have to ration food and water and your sleeping bag is slipping downwards a slope..

Wow, that must have been so cool. What school do you go to that does that??? (you can pm if u don't want to say it on thread) :)

Has anyone heard of the Leinster Driving Campus for Transition Year students. Apparently they allow transition year students to get a few driving lessons( 5 i think) on their own special roads/course, without having your theory test done or have your learner's permit. Sounds pretty cool. Has anyone done it??? And is it something you can apply for independently or can you only do it through your school as like a field trip activity??? :)

• Advertisement

Wow, that must have been so cool. What school do you go to that does that??? (you can pm if u don't want to say it on thread) :)

I'm not allowed to name schools anyway, I believe it's against the Charter if I'm not mistaken ^^.

I'm not allowed to name schools anyway, I believe it's against the Charter if I'm not mistaken ^^.

oops, sorry then. hope you had fun and made an unforgettable experience. :D

Anyone know anything about Leinster Driving Campus for transition year students????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Our English texts have been released :eek:

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0021_2014.pdf

Looks like we'll be doing King Lear :o Haven't heard much about it? I don't think it comes up very often :o

The movies for the comparative seem alright though! I love Juno and the Artist! :) And I've heard of a good few of the books! Does anyone know how teacher's just which texts/movie to do for the comparative?

What's everyone's thoughts? :D

Just back in the door from seeing the play Sive in the Abbey. Have to say it was great, very enjoyable. One of the actors I locked eye contact with and made him smile, didn't work with the rest! :pac:

No school tomorrow either so happy days!

Just back in the door from seeing the play Sive in the Abbey. Have to say it was great, very enjoyable. One of the actors I locked eye contact with and made him smile, didn't work with the rest! :pac:

No school tomorrow either so happy days!

No school for me aswell, dentist appointment :D

Supposed to have work experience this week so could only get it for next week so swapping it around. Honestly this is the best part of TY so far, no revision to do over a break, a chance to watch house of cards, read a few books and just relax for once. That's what I signed up for.

Going to be getting straight into being one of the two editors for the school magazine, going to be the first year its goes exclusively online so should be fun!

TY trip to Barcelona tonight<3

I really can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    TY trip to Barcelona tonight<3

I really can't wait :D

That's awesome! Our TY trip will be to Barcelona too! Roll on the 27th :D

• Advertisement

We had an amazing time! :D

Barcelona is so beautiful and we stayed in Salou which has an amazing beach :P And a cute little Irish pub if your teachers are willing to let ye in there :pac:

Port Aventura is great as well, but the waiting times for the rides are crazy :eek:

We had an amazing time! :D

Barcelona is so beautiful and we stayed in Salou which has an amazing beach :P And a cute little Irish pub if your teachers are willing to let ye in there :pac:

Port Aventura is great as well, but the waiting times for the rides are crazy :eek:

We're staying in Salou too :o AND we're going to Port Aventura! Where else did ye go? :P

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    We're staying in Salou too :o AND we're going to Port Aventura! Where else did ye go? :P
    We took a tour of Barcelona city and the main sights. We also got a tour of Camp Nou (the Barcelona FC stadium) and of a science museum in the city (the name has left my head :eek: ). We got to go shopping in two different shopping centres too! :) We were only there for three days so we did't do too much :) How long are ye going for?

We took a tour of Barcelona city and the main sights. We also got a tour of Camp Nou (the Barcelona FC stadium) and of a science museum in the city (the name has left my head :eek: ). We got to go shopping in two different shopping centres too! :) We were only there for three days so we did't do too much :) How long are ye going for?

Three days too and I think we're doing pretty much the same as ye did :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

You lucky b*stards with your less-pressure marking schemes :(
    But then again... good luck with getting the college course you want.
    I can't wait to be finished LC and just studying the things I want (down with geography!)

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I can't wait to be finished LC and just studying the things I want (down with geography!)

I just can't wait to get out of school tbh.

• Advertisement

Aren't the 'less pressure marking schemes' supposed to be for the 2017 LC? :o which is the leaving cert after ours :eek:

edit: Yes, it's for the year below us! For those starting 5th year in 2015. We start 5th Year in 2014 :(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/changes-to-leaving-cert-to-be-delayed-266013.html

Aren't the 'less pressure marking schemes' supposed to be for the 2017 LC? :o which is the leaving cert after ours :eek:

So that mean the current 3rd years will be the first with this marking scheme. Can someone tell me what has changed or will change and why it is less pressure for them

So that mean the current 3rd years will be the first with this marking scheme. Can someone tell me what has changed or will change and why it is less pressure for them

Yes it's for the current 3rd years or 2nd years who skip TY.

It's changing the whole A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2.... grading scheme to a scheme with only 8 grades. The grades will literally be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. And it will have either an O or a H next to it depending on the level (not sure if Foundation level will be included?).

Apparently it's less stressful because there's less grades you can achieve. Someone who might previous had a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3.

It seems kinda silly, and not very 'less stressful' to me :P

Yes it's for the current 3rd years or 2nd years who skip TY.

It's changing the whole A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2.... grading scheme to a scheme with only 8 grades. The grades will literally be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. And it will have either an O or a H next to it depending on the level (not sure if Foundation level will be included?).

Apparently it's less stressful because there's less grades you can achieve. Someone who might previous had a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3.

It seems kinda silly, and not very 'less stressful' to me :P

Thanks for explaining it!!!! I understand it being less stressful and i think i like the system. As you said with someone getting 'a high B2, may now get the same grade as someone who previously got a low B3' you could also think of a bit more positively like someone who would have got a B1 with the old system would have got a H2 which would look much better on a report imo

I am ****ing jealous now. Course points in universities and colleges better adapt to this aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

edit: Yes, it's for the year below us! For those starting 5th year in 2015. We start 5th Year in 2014 :(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/changes-to-leaving-cert-to-be-delayed-266013.html

Indeed, I stand corrected :)
    Take a look in the LC forum for an in-depth examinations of the pros and cons (mostly cons) for this proposed change. It appears that Ruairí Quinn wants to make massive changes to education purely so he can leave his stamp on the syllabus- I doubt he'll ever get back in as Minister for Education, what with his making a balls of everything :p
    I do agree with his "less religion taught in primary schools" though if you're going to teach religion, teach about ALL the major religions not just Christianity-sure why not just rename the subject 'Christianity- Jesus and the lads were alright' :rolleyes:

I am ****ing jealous now. Course points in universities and colleges better adapt to this aswell.

What do you mean by course points adapting to it? Sure the whole points system is only there for the benefit of getting into courses in universities and the colleges/unis have been involved in the planning of the new changes anyways so of course they're going to be changing too.
    Jijsaw wrote: »
    Indeed, I stand corrected :)
    Take a look in the LC forum for an in-depth examinations of the pros and cons (mostly cons) for this proposed change. It appears that Ruairí Quinn wants to make massive changes to education purely so he can leave his stamp on the syllabus- I doubt he'll ever get back in as Minister for Education, what with his making a balls of everything :p
    I do agree with his "less religion taught in primary schools" though if you're going to teach religion, teach about ALL the major religions not just Christianity-sure why not just rename the subject 'Christianity- Jesus and the lads were alright' :rolleyes:

I'm not a Ruairi Quinn fan but I also agree with you on the whole religion in primary school thing :rolleyes: I mean a huge amount of 2nd and 6th class is used to 'prepare' for the communion and confirmation? That shouldn't be taught in school. If people want their children to have communion and get confirmed then they should have that done in their own time like other religious families in this country do with their beliefs and systems.

Back to the new LC thing, it'll be awkward for anyone in TY currently, if they repeat 6th year. The grading system they're used to will be gone - whereas the bunch of students starting 5th year in 2015 will have probably been taught using that grading system.

Anyone else get accepted into the IT Tallaght EYF programme? :p

Anyone else do the Cycle Against Suicide today?
    Had to cycle from Carlow to Kilkenny and I swear I've never had a sorer hole in my life! :P
    Amazing cause though and well worth all the pain.

Anyone else do the Cycle Against Suicide today?
    Had to cycle from Carlow to Kilkenny and I swear I've never had a sorer hole in my life! :P
    Amazing cause though and well worth all the pain.

Wow, that must of been some cycle! Did your whole year do it or was it a solo Job? I wish I did something like that because cycling is ma thing :D

Wow, that must of been some cycle! Did your whole year do it or was it a solo Job? I wish I did something like that because cycling is ma thing :D

Most of my class got involved, it was optional thought, we left at 9am and were back by 4pm.

I think it goes to Cork now but I couldn't do that.

I'm actually out sick today aswell!

Cycling is great fun, especially in the lovely weather.

^^ Liked it on Fcaebook :)

Came back from a 25Km cycle today, I'm bet.

Feel pretty good thought.

My last TY activity is Paintball next tUesday, then that's it :/

Was anyone here at the YSI Showcase in Citywest today? :)

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Was anyone here at the YSI Showcase in Citywest today? :)
    I was :D

I was :D

Ooh, me too! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement