Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

:eek: Please pass on supplier details of EPO etc
    Seems to be the best way to get to see any events in the olympics, a bit easier then trying to buy tickets :)

Thursday 16th june
    7 miles easy today, plan was to get 3 or 4 miles easy then increase the pace today. Had company for the first few miles but was caught in the worse hail storm i've ever run in, ended up having to jump unter a tree as the pain was so bad. Training partner seems to pull a calf shortly after that wasnt nice , so did the last four miles on my own.

7 miles @ no idea as the garmin wasnt charged.

Friday 17th June
    6 miles easy on grass today, No real idea on how far or how fast I was going as, I'll be without the garmin until Sunday's run. It's nice not having to check the watch ever .5 mile or so. Legs are starting to get back to normal again and this easy week was really needed.

Sat 18th June
    5 mile recovery run in tropical Dublin. Feeling a lot better as the week goes on and legs almost back to normal and ready to be battered again for the next 3 week. :D

Sunday 19th July

Great day for a run and couldnt wait to get going , but after 2 mile was received some abuse form some poxy kids and after telling them nicly to ruck off then had a rock lobbed in my direction. I lost the plot and went after them, the group of 4 left the park crossed the road and me like running like a plonker after them.

Took about 200m to catch them when they decided to make a bee line to one of thier houses, at this point they though they had seen the last of me but a quick ring on the bell and a chat with a very angry father seen me have the last laugh.

Could have done without the quick 400m so early in the run and then found it hard to calm down for a few more miles.

12 miles @ 9m/mile

• Advertisement

Well have picked all my races now for the summer the plan will be

1. The Lotto 5 miles
    2. Frank Duffy 10 miler
    3. BHAA 10 k (firhouse)

If all is going well and no injury problem i'll run either the BHAA 3k or 2 miler.

Was looking for a half Marathon but nothing really on the dates I want to run and the midlands half is €45 which just seem a little ott. Might do a 13.1 mile Time trial at somepoint and draft a few pace makers in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    Might do a 13.2 mile Time trial at somepoint and draft a few pace makers in.

I think this is a great option and was always sorry that I didn't take RF up on his offer instead I opted for a 10km :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Really looking forward to seeing how you do and I guess we'll be racing the 5 miler against each other :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing how you do and I guess we'll be racing the 5 miler against each other :D
    Yep looks like it, will see how i'm feeling that week next few week will be hard, but that race will be on my easy week so hope come the weekend the legs will be fine. Not going to eb running as smart as my last race

Monday 20th June
    6 miles very easy today, feel like i'm starting to get a bit of a cold at the moment. For some reason I tend to pick the only time of day that it rains to run these days.

Nice to have good warm shoewers in the office :)

6 miles @ 9:15 pace.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 21 June
    8 miles easy today, have a bit of a head cold at the moment just hope that it doesnt move to the chest, so took it easy today after a couple of miles I was feeling great but kept the pace slow. Going to be a hard few weeks now and don't want to fall apart come the end of week 3.

8 miles @ 9:15 with 6X80m strides to finish.

Wed 22nd June
    Stupid head cold kept me up most of the night so decided to take today as my rest day and push my mid week long run to tomorrow. Think i'd be flogging a dead horse today and might do more damage then good. But feeling alot better now so should be fine tomorrow.

The weight is finially starting to drop now and hit the 7kg loss mark today which is a little less then I expected at this point but going in the right direction.

Thursday 23rd June
    11 miles on grass before work, wasnt too sure how this was going to go as the last few days the only thing thats been running has been my nose, was a bit over dressed for todays run and felt far too warm after about 8 miles. Was very happy to get back to the car at 11 for a nice drink....

11 miles @ 9:20m/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thursday 23rd June
    11 miles on grass before work, wasnt too sure how this was going to go as the last few days the only thing thats been running has been my nose, was a bit over dressed for todays run and felt far too warm after about 8 miles. Was very happy to get back to the car at 11 for a nice drink....

11 miles @ 9:20m/m
    Yeah, you looked a bit hot and bothered. Would've joined you for a bit, but I was just finishing up my 8 mile run, and heading back to the orifice.

Yeah, you looked a bit hot and bothered. Would've joined you for a bit, but I was just finishing up my 8 mile run, and heading back to the orifice.

Had spotted you just as I arrived in the car park, but wasnt going to be able to catch you today, was keeping it very easy, but seemed to have sweated out the head cold now :)

Friday 24th June.
    7 miles steady today, Another great irish summers day for a run, actually conditions were almost perfect no wind, a little ran and not to warm. Plan was to see how the legs felt today and run a little harder. I was half expecting to find it hard today but after the first mile I knew that it was going to be harder to slow down. Felt really good today and the miels flew by. Started to get a little to fast after 4 miles but eased back slightly.

Didn't see a single person out walking or running and though I had the whole park to myself until I was passed by an one of our top marathon runners, prob out for his second run of the day.

7 miles @ 8:05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was passed by an one of our top marathon runners, prob out for his second run of the day.

But i'm not in Dublin until tonight :confused::D:pac:

But i'm not in Dublin until tonight :confused::D:pac:
    :) when your running sub 2:20 you'll be in that league and thats not an 800m time ;)

Sat 25th June
    5 mile recovery run today with 6X80m strides to finish. Nothing really to report.

Sunday 26th June
    Met up with a friend for a run today plan was to o 11.5 with him and then a few miles on my own, course and pace changed that plan as the pace was far too fast for a long run and the course was really really hilly.But felt really really good today decided to finish at 11.5 miles as I think 15 miles at this pace would take to much out of me.

Won't let this happen again and will plan my runs better and who i run with....

11.5 miles @ 8:30

• Advertisement

Monday 27th June
    6 miles easy @ 8:25 pace on grass today. Feeling good after last weeks runs, so bring it on for this week.

Tuesday 28th June
    8 mile easy today, legs felt a little weird think the runners are on the way out so will switch over to a new pair this week.

8 miles @ 9:15 137bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Just having a look @ your last few weeks trainign and you seem to be very consistant but are you gona do any interval training or sessions?
    with the 5miler less than 3 weeks away what is your goal time?

Just having a look @ your last few weeks trainign and you seem to be very consistant but are you gona do any interval training or sessions?
    with the 5 miler less than 3 weeks away what is your goal time?
    Well basically the plan was to get to 50/55 miles per week 12 week out from berlin when the real stuff will start up.

Session will be added but going to be longer mile reps as far as I know. I have a bad history of getting injured doing shorter reps so longr reps and temps will introduced. Have been doing steady runs once a week that would be about marathon pace but not full session.

But honestly if you offered me 12 more week injury free at 55 miles a week i'd take it as I think i'd run fairly well off that.

The plan for the 5 mile will be go sub 34 I hope but that will depend on how this and next week go. Ran 35:18 5 week ago but went out fairly controled, so think 6:40/50 will be the plan. It would be the fastes 5 mile I can do as I would need some more quality to run a fast 5 and would prob jump into a few 2 mile races first, but Berlin is the main aim this is just to get a real idea of the shape i'm in.

Wed 29th June
    rest day today just the usual stretching and foam roller work.

Thursday 30th June
    11 miles of slog today just felt a bit of and wasnt feeling the love for most of the run today. The nice people who take care of the park have decided it's a good idea to fence off part of one of my fields :eek:
    Was happy to get this run finished as the legs just felt a bit tired today ,maybe lack of food was a factor today.

11 miles @9:15 139bmp.

Friday 1st July
    Really nice day for running today, perfect weather but due to a couple of beers last night was feeling a little tired. Once I got going all was fine. Got a little carried away with the pace in the middle of the run so suffered a little over the last 2 miles.

8 miles @ 7:55 157 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Friday 1st July
    8 miles @ 7:55 157 bpm

maybe we need to discuss the meaning of "steady" ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe we need to discuss the meaning of "steady" ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been good the past few week ... Just today the legs got carried away!

• Advertisement

Sat 2 july
    5 mile easy recovery run today. Took it nice and handy,

Sunday 3rd July
    The lazy brother decided to chicken out of an early morning run today, So I got back into bed and had a few more hours sleep before hitting the park. Was test driving the Kayano 17's today for the first time, I picked them up yesterday as I was starting to feel the miles in my 16's that have now retired and the 1160's are almost gone now too.

The run today was great legs felt really good but kept the pace easy, nice 6.2 miles loop to pick up a drink at the car, It did get very hot out there today but after the winter we have had i'll never give out about a bit of sun.

Tired a little over the last 3 miles but other then that its been a perfect week.

16 miles @9:20 pace

Monday 4th July
    5 mile recovery run today, , didnt wear my garmin today so unsure of the pace but about 9:15 I think. Legs recovered very well from yesterdays run and really wanted to do a few extra miles, but stuck to plan. Last big week this week before an easy week next week and a 5 mile race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sunday 3rd July
    The lazy brother decided to chicken out of an early morning run today, So I got back into bed and had a few more hours sleep before hitting the park. Was test driving the Kayano 17's today for the first time, I picked them up yesterday as I was starting to feel the miles in my 16's that have now retired and the 1160's are almost gone now too.

The run today was great legs felt really good but kept the pace easy, nice 6.2 miles loop to pick up a drink at the car, It did get very hot out there today but after the winter we have had i'll never give out about a bit of sun.

Tired a little over the last 3 miles but other then that its been a perfect week.

16 miles @9:20 pace

2.5 hrs well done - how's the body, did you just take on water or did it have a little magic powder mixed in?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2.5 hrs well done - how's the body, did you just take on water or did it have a little magic powder mixed in?
    The body is holding up ok,(ask me that again at the end of this week) that been said i am spending longer each day stretching and on the roller at the moment. But seems to be holding me together, was starting to feel it a bit last week but my footware all needed to be changed. Think i have been a bit slow in doing that in the past.
    Yep just water on the first loop but a bit of sports drink on the second. I think once I start to try out gels in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Sunday 3rd July
    The lazy brother decided to chicken out of an early morning run today, So I got back into bed and had a few more hours sleep before hitting the park. e

Yep sure did and im glad i did. 16 miles would have killed me!. Anyway racing tonight and the legs feel fresh.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5th July
    8 miles nice miles today in the sun. Something about warm weather makes you7 want to run faster for some reason..

8 miles @8:30

Wed 6th July
    very easy 4 miles today, kept the pace very slow but went through the 1000 mile for the year today.

Wed 6th July
    very easy 4 miles today, kept the pace very slow but went through the 1000 mile for the year today.

Well done - how many did you get through last year?

Well done - how many did you get through last year?

about 750 for the year in the end, had 3 months with no running in total due to injuries so safe to say this year has been a bit better, so far.

Thursday 7th July
    10 miles slog today, ever mile after the 4th mile was going to be my last mile, happy to get the 10 miles done in the end.
    Will forget about this run as if it never happened.

• Advertisement

Thursday 7th July
    10 miles slog today, ever mile after the 4th mile was going to be my last mile, happy to get the 10 miles done in the end.
    Will forget about this run as if it never happened.

tired legs? nearly the end of 3 tough weeks and then easy week / race time
    :)

tired legs? nearly the end of 3 tough weeks and then easy week / race time
    :)
    Yep who would have though that extra training would make you tired , :)

Friday July 8th
    Really great day for running today, weather not to warm a little bit of run and zero wind. Plan was 2 mile w-up 4 mile tempo and 2 mile w-down. After yesterdays run I wasnt to sure how this was going to go.

2 mile w-up @ 9:30 pace legs felt a little tired but not to bad at all.

4 miles 29:46 @7:27
    Felt really really good on this run, legs a tiny bit tired but very strong, But enjoyed every step of todays run.

2 miles w-down @9:20

Total 8 miles 68 mins.

I'm admiring your new found discipline - fair play.

I'm admiring your new found discipline - fair play.

Think the disciple has been there when I'm injury free, my problem is I go a bit off the wall if I get injured, need to ensure that if anything happens i kept it together, the Ricky Hatton system of weight gain and loss doesnt work well for running.

Sat 9th July
    5 mile recovery run today, Picked up a few gels to try out on tomorrow run to see how the go, Will try a few things out of the next few weeks before making up my mind. Was looking a fuel belt also but can't see myself wearing that as it would drive me bonkers, i'll stick to droping bottles out on the route before the runs.

5 miles @ 9:10

Sunday 10th July
    Had a feeling today would be a bit of an effort , from mile 1 the legs were a little tired but managed to get through a nice 18 miles.
    Had dropped off water bottles before I left today and a nice frozen bottle in the car for after.

Miles 1-10 were nice, only started to feel good at the 8 mile mark 13-18 was a bit of a slog legs were feeling the last 3 weeks running and slowed a bit over the last few miles.

18 miles @9:40 & 58 miles for the week.

Monday 11th July
    4 mile recovery jog today, legs were very tired today and a few pains mostly because yesterdays run had 13+ miles on the road, I can always feel that the day after.
    So today was back to the fields, kept the pace really slow and didnt wear a watch, only problem was I was passed by the same women 3 times :eek: , the third time it was hard to just let her go....

Monday 11th July
    4 mile recovery jog today, legs were very tired today and a few pains mostly because yesterdays run had 13+ miles on the road, I can always feel that the day after.
    So today was back to the fields, kept the pace really slow and didnt wear a watch, only problem was I was passed by the same women 3 times :eek: , the third time it was hard to just let her go....

you should have told her she had a great arse after the second time. Wouldn't have been in a hurry to pass you the third time ;)

you should have told her she had a great arse after the second time. Wouldn't have been in a hurry to pass you the third time ;)
    I did the first time,but she came back for more, the tease !.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement