Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

Hello123 wrote: »
    has a hook on it on the inside and it is killing me, cutting into my tongue I can hardly talk. There isnt a hope I can handle this or my mouth will adjust.

Got it pinched in at lunch time and all sorted out. Most important thing is with any discomfort there is usally something they can do to alleviate it... and thats what they are there for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

One of my teeth is after moving and it's bothering me. I don't think it's possible to get it redone or am I being ridiculous over one tooth? I had adult braces for nearly three years.

Have you been wearing a retainer as instructed?
    I would definetly go back and see what they can do ... you never know ...
    Could be they will fix it for free OR a small fee.
    It's worth asking ... 3 years work and a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

willow46 wrote: »
    great discussions. I'm embarking on 'renewing' my teeth at almost 40! scared as hell to be honest people!!!

I'm 44 and a half, I can see a slight difference already after one week - my regret is I didn't start sooner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Have you been wearing a retainer as instructed?
    I would definetly go back and see what they can do ... you never know ...
    Could be they will fix it for free OR a small fee.
    It's worth asking ... 3 years work and a lot of money

The dentists said my teeth looked grand and I didn't want to keep on about it. I only have a retainer or my bottom teeth also. I got the one next to it bonded to make it look more in place but then they were saying that I expected like a Hollywood smile when that's not natural looking. I don't want to look fake either but the tooth was perfect now it's not and I don't like discrepancies. They used to be spot on straight though.

eternal wrote: »
    they were saying that I expected like a Hollywood smile when that's not natural looking. I don't want to look fake either but the tooth was perfect now it's not and I don't like discrepancies. They used to be spot on straight though.

I really think if your not happy they shouldn't brush it off. As you say it was straight, it's hard to go on about it though but if you are still in doubt, keep at it

I am expecting the Hollywood smile as I'm paying enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Does the quality of the metal used in fixed braces vary between orthodontists ? Often cited on here, which I accept, that the quality of crowns , veneers etc can vary significantly, depending on the lab that makes them but how about braces?

I really dont know to be honest .. I would imagine that each ortho would stand over theirs as being the highest quality!! you could ask the name and google.

Hear it from me, the Waterpik works!

Went to my regular dentist for an exam and clean today. Said that my teeth and gums are in great shape and all I needed was a clean. :)

That's the first time in years that they didn't comment on my gums or flossing.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »

I keep meaning to ask the ortho about it ... did your ortho say it was ok with ceramic and not cause damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Iv been using panasonic waterjet too, the ortho was very happy with the cleanliness of the braces last check up. Well worth the investment, so much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Went to my regular dentist for an exam and clean today. Said that my teeth and gums are in great shape and all I needed was a clean. :)

That's the first time in years that they didn't comment on my gums or flossing.

Did you get the battery or plug-in one? I know fitzgeme recommends the plugin one, I'm curious as to how much of a mess it makes if you can't use it in a bathroom.

Also, braces off today :D

That's interesting about Waterpik! Can you buy it in Boots?

EDIT: Just googled, you can! Thanks for mentioning it, I'm buying one tomorrow!

I keep meaning to ask the ortho about it ... did your ortho say it was ok with ceramic and not cause damage?

I didn't even say it to my orthodontist! Just got it. I have metal Damon braces top and bottom so wasn't too concerned.

I got the wired one as it's a lot more powerful. I also read that the battery in the cordless model is quite bad and doesn't last. I just use it over my kitchen sink.

Just bought the Waterpik from Boots in Blanchardstown, and used it once - it did a great job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Well 10 weeks after I got my braces on I had my first follow up appointment!
    Brushing is going well (ordinary toothbrush and flossing)

Got the top wire replaced - this new one seems thicker? Generally ok but my very back teeth on the top are hurting today so I imagine theyre the 'anchors' ouchie.

Got two spacers each side at the bottom (really odd feeling getting them in!) have to go back on Thursday to get them out and get metal rings on - NOT looking forward to that. I assume they'll change my bottom wire then too!

Overall Im super pleased!I see tons of change already! Wish I had have taken proper pictures to start with!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I got quoted €3,200 for upper arch ceramic braces in Dublin - would anyone be able to let me know if this is the standard price? It's quite important to me that it's a qualified orthodontist and not an ordinary dentist that I'm going to..

ananas wrote: »
    I got quoted €3,200 for upper arch ceramic braces in Dublin - would anyone be able to let me know if this is the standard price? It's quite important to me that it's a qualified orthodontist and not an ordinary dentist that I'm going to..

I'm in kerry and getting top and bottom ceramics for 3800 duration he said was 9-12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

€4k for upper and lowers ceramic in Sligo

Overall Im super pleased!I see tons of change already! Wish I had have taken proper pictures to start with!

on my 2nd wire too, heavier one, really made lot of difference, took some photos and im fairly shocked how fast its going! can post if ye want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Brendygg wrote: »
    on my 2nd wire too, heavier one, really made lot of difference, took some photos and im fairly shocked how fast its going! can post if ye want to see.

Yeah I think Its always Good to see progress pics! I'm in a fair bit of pain now after trying to eat dinner :( Dreading getting the metal rings on next week.

How long have you had yours in?

Yeah I think Its always Good to see progress pics! I'm in a fair bit of pain now after trying to eat dinner :( Dreading getting the metal rings on next week.

How long have you had yours in?

Just over 8 weeks now, only on top atm, ya I was expecting alot more pain the first few days after new wire but wasnt as bad as very first wire. lucky I think!

http://imgur.com/Jy9CSKp each taken a month apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

€4.5k for ceramics top and bottom. In for 2 years. Covers everything and as many appointments as necessary, no extras. It's probably a little pricey but I've got 24/7 care if required and it's 10 minutes away so there are no travel costs or time off work required (take those factors into consideration when making your choice). Plus, I don't mind the extra if everything turns out well - which it has done so far. I've noticed massive movement and had little or no pain.

Heading for four months in now and I have to say, it's a lot easier than I thought! Like most people here, I really think that I should have done this years ago. On the plus side, people assume that I'm a lot younger if they notice the braces but very few have unless you mention it/point them out. The first week, obviously, was lots of soup/pasta/stew/casserole but I was back eating steak within a fortnight. I barely know that they are there to be honest, only issue is sometimes the outside of the four brackets at the back rub against the inside of my jaws but it's nothing major, I can handle it. The only time that I know they are there is when I'm eating. You do feel a bit self conscious when eating in company at first but that passes.

I read this thread from beginning to end before getting them so knew what to ask the Ortho and what to do/not to do. I cannot thank all the posters enough for all their valuable insights. So, to return the favour, if I could give two tips/two bit of advice to people, it would be this:

- stick to the list of "banned" foods (curries, toffee, nuts etc.) and drink (which is basically avoid Coke). It reduces staining, plaque and cleaning issues. Plus, you cut a lot of junk so feel much better for it.

- buy a good electric toothbrush. I've a handy half sized ordinary one in a plastic case (which they gave me as part of my free care pack) at work that I use during the day but use the electric one at home. The amount of brushing required is a bit of a pain so let the brush do the work for you! I've been back to my regular hygienist and the Ortho twice and they both said that I've been doing a great job on keeping them clean. I'll be honest, it's not me - it's the brush! lol

So, that's my story for now. I'll keep reading this thread and will post as I go along. Best of luck to everyone here and hope everything goes well for you all. Keep the posts coming! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

So I've had my braces on for over 3 weeks now and dying to see changes! I've seen a lot of braces blogs where there are noticeable differences within the first month so I'm hoping to see some changes soon, the crooked wire is driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ChillyHilly

Newcomer here! Had my braces (ceramic on top, metal on bottom) for about five weeks now. Needed three teeth extracted and had the last out today. They've been quite painful since I've started the extractions as they've finally got room to move.

Not a pleasant experience today as the tooth really didn't want to come out but it will all be worth it (hopefully)! I'm nearly in more pain over the cost of the extractions - €470!!! Rounding the whole price tag up to about €5000. From reading everyone's experiences here though, I know it will be an investment in the long run :-)

I didn't even say it to my orthodontist! Just got it. I have metal Damon braces top and bottom so wasn't too concerned.

I got the wired one as it's a lot more powerful. I also read that the battery in the cordless model is quite bad and doesn't last. I just use it over my kitchen sink.
    Thanks again for recommending Waterpik!
    I went for my first check-up since getting my braces on and my orthodontist told me my dental hygiene was excellent! I didn't mention the Waterpik :D

He tightened up a few wires and I am amazed the teeth that were crooked are coming into line! Photos of me look so much better already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Hi everyone.

After putting it off for years, I'm a week into the six month smile (technically just on the top arch so far, bottom ones will be done in a fortnight). I had some crowding on the bottom, and misaligned teeth on the top. Bite was good. One tooth was extracted on the bottom, which was the most involved part of the procedure so far.

Can't commend my dentist enough though, she's very skilled and capable, and very eager to explain as she goes. Prior to the extraction, I'd never had anything done bar polish and scale, do pushing 40 without ever having had a filling, or needing one isn't bad really.

So far so good, no pain, just the usual tension, which is perversely enjoyable, as it means things are happening. I'm looking at a treatment period all in of around seven months, with whitening at the end, so hopefully September will see me right.

To those thinking of it, don't put it off, go and see your dentist. In a year, or two, depending on how your treatment goes, you'll be very happy that you did.

I bought a waterpik today as well. Boots have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

I got my braces on around the end of 2013. Bottom ones went on end of Oct, Top ones in Dec.
    My Orthodontist estimated treatment time to be around 14 months.

Based on my latest visit, it is just a matter of waiting for my top gaps to close in and then I was told about 1 - 2 months of detailing/finishing to level off some of my teeth. My top front there are slightly off, and leaning a little to the left. One is higher/lower than the other. They will be brought in-line.
    I've noticed my bottom arch has a slight slope from right to left, maybe this will be corrected a little too, not sure though as I hadn't really noticed until now.

So mabybe in 3 - 5 months I will be finished :)
    So far I'm really happy I got it done. I put it off for about 10 years. As you'll see my teeth were a bit of a mess with a lot of overcrowding on the bottom. My canines where practically rotated 90*
    I had four teeth extracted; two premolars on the bottom and two large molars on the top. There were about a 12mm gaps each side of my upper arch so that's why it's taking a while for it to close in.

When it's all done I could probably do with getting them whitened a little as I'm a coffee drinker.

Here's a comparison picture of how my teeth were around the time I got the braces on (left side) and how they are at the moment (right side)

[post count restricts me from directly linking]
    imgur.com/FpKjN0k

Amazing transformation Digiby! It's encouraging to see the gaps closed off on your bottom teeth! Did you have any teeth removed from the top?

• Advertisement

PippaChic wrote: »
    Amazing transformation Digiby! It's encouraging to see the gaps closed off on your bottom teeth! Did you have any teeth removed from the top?

Yep, I had two large molars extracted on top, number 6's, one each side.
    There was about a 1.2cm gap either side, so about 24mm in total to close in on the top.
    It's getting there but there's about 6 - 8 mm still to go.
    Once that's all closed off, I think my Orthodontist said some of my teeth will be adjusted and lined up so they all look good.

The worst part of getting the braces was probably the extractions. Getting the molars out was tough but wearing the braces themselves has been no trouble. Just a matter of getting used to a lot more maintenance of flossing, using mouthwash and brushing after meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I bought a waterpik today as well. Boots have them.

How do you like the waterpik?

any particular waterpik to recommend?

Got my bottom teeth removed, 5s on each side. I can't talk!
    Getting braces onto bottom teeth on Thursday.
    The braces on top are in nearly 7 weeks, they were tightened 2 weeks ago and are still a little painful! But I can see they're getting slighty straighter - the midline is nearly compatible with the midline of my bottom teeth! My bottom teeth are straight enough but overcrowded.

Got my wires changed again yesterday. Feels like I'm back at day one. So painful! Just have to endure it for a few days.

It's a really thick wire, he said he's moving the roots more.

How do you like the waterpik?

Oh sorry, I just saw this now! As a flossing tool, it's great, if messy. It takes a little practise to get it right. The reservoir is a little small too, supposedly enough for 60 seconds, so I refill it in between and get a minute or so on each arch.

You need a shaver socket too, to power the thing, four bathrooms in the house, and the only one with a shaver is my daughters ensuite, so she used to me robbing the bathroom once a day. Aside from that, I'd recommend it.

any particular waterpik to recommend?

The one I got in boots seems good enough, was around the 70 mark, I think. There was a much more expensive Philips one which I considered, until I had a quick browse of the reviews for it on Amazon while I was there and got turned off it. So far so good, you'll find it on the boots site, not sure if Amazon might be cheaper for you :)

Bottom arch on this morning.

Teeth put up a bit of a battle, as the contacts were very tight (and that was after extraction, but we got there in the end).

I have to watch the bite alright, one bracket is just touching an upper molar when I clench (which I don't), and that was with the biteguards in, which take a little more getting used to. Very little discomfort really which is good, and apparently a nice big of movement on top as well.

Back in the first week of April.

I got braces fitted to my bottom teeth last Thursday and I'm in constant discomfort. The socket where I had my left 5 removed is very tender. Luckily I'm on medication for sinusitis (antibiotics and difene) so that has helped with the pain. Flossing is agony as there is absolutely no gap between the canines and adjacent teeth :(

Chewing is difficult and I keep drooling, more than I did when my top braces were placed. So I'm eating less, which is good :)

I'm pleased to be on annual leave next week, and hopefully the tenderness will have subsided by Monday week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

So I just went for my first consultation - not great news, I need all 4 wisdom teeth out by surgical extraction before I can get a brace fitted :(

Ah well! It has to be done I guess so may as well take the plunge

It's VERY pricey though, €1000 for the extractions and a further €135 for the consultation and hygienist before hand.

I was planning a trip to London in May but will have to cancel it now as I can't afford both...I just keep thinking of how nice it will feel to have pretty, straight teeth in a year or 2 though and I hope it will all be worth it!

I had to pop back in, when my biteblocks decided to make a bid for freedom, along with four brackets, on Saturday evening.

It sounds like I was chewing gravel, but it was merely seafood gratin. Still, a minor bump in the road, and all sorted again.

Difficult to talk without lisping though! Anyone else find that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

I have a midline elastic and it causes a mad lisp, i hate it! Im tending to wear it only at night or when im on my own as its too hard to enuncate when im talking to people. Only three more months for me, and im counting down the hours.

It'll fly. Happily for me, the lisp seems to be getting less pronounced!

Either that, or I'm getting used to talking like Tyson or Eubank...

It will all be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I had braces for a number of years as a teen and teeth were perfect after. However because I didn't wear retainer, the two front ones have shifted slightly. Not noticeable to anyone really except me and I know they will keep moving. Went back to ortho and in fairness despite the fact that it's 14 years since my treatment, he said he will brace me up again and only charge for cost of brace. I've to get an extraction first and then have ceramic brace for 3-4 months. Wont be too bad I guess. feel guilty for undoing some of the work my parents paid for :( Looking forward to being able to smile with confidence again. Like this..... :D

Still remember the pain of the first few days, where food basically consisted of pot mash :P

4th visit, and a new stronger wire on the top arch (the bottom isn't aligned enough to take the thicker one yet, having gone on a couple of weeks after the top)

Bar a couple of broken brackets, which seem to be inevitable, and were down to a combination of poor food choices on my part, and failures of the bond, it's all going very well. Contacts have opened nicely, allowing movement, and top is coming well into line. Bite is much better too, even with the blocks in place.

More to come in three weeks or so.

• Advertisement

so Im thinking I have two prob three more visits. I now have two elastics on a button up top to the outside notches on the same side to force out my two back teeth (so the back teeth are seen more when i smile) they are sore but bearable, not much room for movement. My midline is better but one of the front teeth is slightly overlapping so we are addressing that. next visit is permanent retainer bar on inside bottom, and some finishing (what ever that means!)

I'm assuming that's a scale, polish, bit of filing? Maybe a whitening treatment?

I'm getting filing at the end too, will make a big difference.

not sure really think he mentioned finishing elastics? im in a bit of a panic over the weekend, on thurs what ever he did to the upper tooth its moved overnight but it is now behind the other one, making that one much more prominent! dont know if his plan is to do the same to the sticky out one next visit, or has the tooth moved too much? might have to ring but i dont want to come across as a panic-er!

Still waiting on the gaps to close in on my upper arch. Thankfully it's reaching the final stages. One side should be at least touching by the time I return (I hope).

I've got double power chains on my top arch and I'm back wearing elastics again to bring my arch back in line as it has slightly moved to the left. Maybe all will be closed in two more visits and the end will be in sight.

Things seem to be at a standstill at the minute, in terms of movement for me. Then again, painstakingly scrutinising the bathroom mirror every day, is one sure way not to see progress. Still, a bit to go yet, and as some of you are finding, or have found, it has to, in some cases, get worse before it gets better.

Anyone else having trouble with brackets coming adrift, or am I just the patient from hell?

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement