Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Dodge wrote: »
    Our order is in the order people weigh in

That's a good idea!

The first group I went to it was alphabetic and if you were present you shouted out that you were there - well over half the people had left.

There was a group opened nearer then and I went to that and it's starting on one side of the room and I've more or less given up on staying as it's a right pain. Huge focus on first 4 or 5 people regardless of whether there is need to - have to go into minute detail on what they ate all week and go through each recipe etc. Then zips along past a few, then we have someone who just has to tell a story regardless of its relevance or whether its a repeat of something already discussed - another huge delay as we all dutifully laugh at the comments etc. On again and by time we get to end of room it's "down 2, great, okay for week" and on without waiting for an answer. I was there one night when I was really struggling and I was fuming as I'd listened to so much sh!t up to then and so much of it pointless. If OH wasn't also doing plan and managed to talk me down I'd have given up that night.
    So now I leave most weeks and might stay 1 in 4. It's a pity as she's a very good, charismatic, motivating leader - if she could just move on the group talk a little:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Weighed in this morning and was a little shocked to see another loss of 4lb especially after a fairly hectic social weekend. This weigh in has me at my target weight , it's my tenth weigh in and I've lost 2st 9 1/2 lb in total and tbh it's been very easy on the sw plan . I actually think my problem will be to maintain at 14st2lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

pinkstars wrote: »
    Well I finally joined slimming world yesterday!!! Any tips or tricks for staying on track???
    I think the best tip I could give is just to be prepared. Do a menu out at the start of the week and do your shopping list accordingly. Do extra portions of freezable dinners so you can stick to plan when you don’t have time/inclination to cook. Stock up on some SW friendly snacks like fruit, yogurts etc. Try at least one new recipe per week, it stops your food getting boring, some of the SW recipes aren’t great, but some (coca cola chicken off the top of my head) are really tasty. As you get more confident with the idea behind it, it’s fairly easy to turn your current dinners into SW friendly versions. Homemade soup is fantastic for lunch or just in between meals if you’re hungry. Most soups can be made syn free very easily. I would even say, plan your syns too, buy small bars of chocolate/crisps or whatever your favourite syn is. A Freddo or Curly Wurly bar is only something like 5 syns, so if you have those to hand, it might stop you reaching for the biscuit tin, but I know some people prefer to have no sweet stuff in the house, so it’s up to you.

And finally, the biggest tip is, not to let yourself get hungry, bad food choices are made when you’re starving.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

I've been doing Slimming World since August and I've lost 4st and I find I can't be bothered to stay to group anymore. The last one I went to was the one before Christmas. I feel, at this stage, if I haven't mastered the plan by now I never will. I think the only reason I'd be there is to give tips and advice to the newer members.

Now here's where I have a mini rant. I find lately though, and this isn't a criticism, that my consultant has only now managed to have any interest in me. When I was there for a few months and having some good weeks and some not so good I'd be pretty much ignored. A lot of the other people have said how they would come home from work to cards and texts and stuff from her when they were struggling and I never got any of that. Now however she has messaged me almost weekly and really hones in on me when I come for weigh in. She wants me to do a photo thing and interview for the paper and do like a before and after. I've said no to her a few times now as I'd be really uncomfortable doing stuff like that. But I feel like her friendliness to me now is only because she wants me to do this. Any else in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don't think it's too bad a thing billion dollar baby. She probably sensed that you would be uncomfortable with all the public stuff so left you alone. Others need more attention or whatever. (Not saying she's right but giving her a possible reason)

You're probably her best performing "client" so she just wants to show you off. All the groups do it for some publicity.

If she gets narky about it, just tell her to **** off. If she's OK with it, then you'll know she's a decent sort who's just proud of your losses

FWIW I never get any (non-group) texts etc from my one and I'm OK with that. Congrats on the losses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Any recipe for the sesame chicken Wellyd?

Crispy Sticky Sesame Chicken.

Ingredients:
    4 chicken fillets cut into chunks
    2 eggs beaten
    2 tbsp flour
    Salt and pepper

1/4 pint of chicken stock
    2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tbsp cornflour
    2 tbsp Splenda
    1 tbsp tomato purée
    1/2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 clove of garlic
    1 tsp sesame seeds

1. Cut the chicken into chunks and dip in beaten egg and then in flour. Place on baking tray and bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
    2. In a small saucepan mix the chicken stock, vinegar, cornflour, Splenda, purée, soy sauce and crushed garlic clove over a medium heat until the sauce is thick and smooth. (You'll need to keep whisking so that the sauce doesn't get lumpy and stick to the bottom of the saucepan).
    3. Put the chicken in a bowl and pour over the sauce and mix well.
    4. Serve with noodles or rice and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of sesame seeds on top.

Works out at 3 Syns per portion.

I doubled up on the sauce ingredients because I love having my rice covered in sauce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Well this week is going to be ruined after today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Would love a few hints or tips on what everyone eats for breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

pinkstars wrote: »
    Would love a few hints or tips on what everyone eats for breakfast?

Overnight oats on weekdays. I make it when I'm making my dinner the night before. A healthy fry on Saturday or Sunday. Mallons syn free sausages, rashers with no visible fat, fried mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, scrambled or fried eggs all done with spray oil. I use my HEB for two slices wholemeal bread. I syn the butter i use and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

Missed weigh in this week due in part to being busy having a good time with my time off, and part due to fear of the scales :( I am raging now though because my scales at home are showing that I'm down. Just need to make sure to keep it going for next week.

I made overnight oats for the first time last night and just had them. Really surprised with how tasty they are, and so handy! Will definitely be a regular brekkie from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Wellyd wrote: »
    Crispy Sticky Sesame Chicken.

Thanks for this Wellyd, made it tonight and it was delicious! We had no noodles in the house so we had airfryer chips. Great Friday dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

First weigh in today and I'm up half a pound! I don't understand it at all. I did have a couple of drinks and a pizza on the weekend, but other then that have been good and have jogged 3 times this week? Really disappointed as I found this first week really tough and could have used some motivation.

Please say it gets easier!?

Hi completely confused, not sure if you're following this thread still but I just remembered your post and realised you hadn't posted an update - I hope you're finding things easier now!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Best thing to eat, in the morning, before a cardio session? Good/bad idea to have a breakfast? I plan to have a protein shake after the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaygirl2

Hi just wondering if it's ok to use two Aldi Harvest Morn light benefit bars as my healthy extra B.

Hi just wondering if it's ok to use two Aldi Harvest Morn light benefit bars as my healthy extra B.

Yep! Any of the flavours.

I tried switching to overnight oats the last couple of mornings from regular porridge. Its probably psychological but it really doesn't fill me up :( By 10am this morning I was utterly ravenous and was on the precipice of having a scone until I pulled myself together and had some bacon and and scrambled an egg quickly. Lack of early morning protein maybe?

I tried switching to overnight oats the last couple of mornings from regular porridge. Its probably psychological but it really doesn't fill me up :( By 10am this morning I was utterly ravenous and was on the precipice of having a scone until I pulled myself together and had some bacon and and scrambled an egg quickly. Lack of early morning protein maybe?

What yogurt did you use? I used to have overnight oats a bit and I would use fat free Greek yogurt (Liberte) with a drop of vanilla extract or a small amount of a free flavoured yogurt to add a bit of flavour. The Greek yogurt would be higher in protein than most, so more filling. Use plenty yogurt and as much fruit as you can stomach! But even at that I'd be fit to kill for a bit of food 3 hours later!

Thanks Dee, I used the same fat free Liberte yoghurt. Just short of 200g. I cant really stomach berries in the morning so I added some diced apple and melon. In the morning I'll try to add in another piece of fruit. I was demented with the hunger in work, one of my colleagues asked me if I had received bad news :o

I'd say I'd use closer to 400g :D
    Trying to think now, I think I used to use a full punnet of raspberries, a few blueberries and strawberries, a plum or a peach, and sometimes some banana... and I'd eat an apple too... I'm laughing even reading that to be honest because I never really bothered with fruit before SW :)

Had a major blow out yesterday! Was a big family occasion so we went out for dinner. It would've been ok had I stopped at that but I drank the Atlantic in beer afterwards. The thought of the scales this week is making me feel sick already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I haven't posted in ages, sorry got out of the habit when I got to target :o I am still in the target zone and currently still 2.5 lbs below target. I have noticed that bad habits have been creeping in...

I am overeating a lot especially in the evening times, I really struggle at night time and can't seem to want to stop eating (I do stay under syn limits) I am struggling also to want to motivate myself to do any exercise at the moment...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Vahevala wrote:
    I haven't posted in ages, sorry got out of the habit when I got to target I am still in the target zone and currently still 2.5 lbs below target. I have noticed that bad habits have been creeping in...

Thanks for the update, been wondering how you were getting on. I'm nowhere near target and have problems over eating in the evenings, not stuck to my syns at all for a few weeks. I think there's a part of me that's scared to lose weight, I don't like being overweight but I'm at a weight now where I kind of blend in if that makes sense?
    If you think it would help you should ask yourself if there's a reason you're over eating, are you bored? Upset? Just not thinking? Feeling under pressure to stay at target and comforting yourself?
    Its great to have lost so much weight but in your mind are you still big? It can take a while to get out of that mindset and you might need some cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) there's loads of information online, it just kind of retrains your brain, it's used a lot to treat depression but its used for loads of other things too. It might be helpful x

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Vahevala wrote: »
    I haven't posted in ages, sorry got out of the habit when I got to target :o I am still in the target zone and currently still 2.5 lbs below target. I have noticed that bad habits have been creeping in...

I am overeating a lot especially in the evening times, I really struggle at night time and can't seem to want to stop eating (I do stay under syn limits) I am struggling also to want to motivate myself to do any exercise at the moment...:(

I've been wondering how you were getting on so it's good to see you are still at target

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

For breakfast, I have 30g porridge oats made with water and a dash of milk. I put in a handful of berries and a drizzle of honey. I find this is fine for me most mornings until about 11.15 when I have a banana or some pineapple :) Then lunch at 12.30. I find the 3pm 'slump' kicks in then so I have an apple or rest of my pineapple or something. It's the evenings when I get home that I'm a devil for. Eat relatively healthy dinners but SNACKS!! OMG! Need to cut that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I haven't been posting as much here as I haven't had too much to add (that I haven't already said). I have noticed though that my own group now has bout 6 men and at one stage I was the only one

Oh and I won "greatest loser" yesterday. Don't like that title but the sentiment is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Weighed in this evening. Down 3lbs which brought me to me 1.5 stone award and my Club 10!

Both going straight on the fridge ;)

I've missed a few weigh ins now but I'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow and weigh in, I'd say I've slipped out of target range. Have been a bit less careful syns-wise the past couple of weeks, having up to five extra per day by nibbling on a bit of chocolate or accepting a sweet if someone offered it or whatever - just need to pull it back. I'm much happier with how my clothes fit etc when I'm 3 or 4 pounds lighter than I am right now.
    After reaching target I think I kind of lost motivation, but now I'm thinking I might like to lose a few more pounds and (finally) do something about toning up and increasing my non-existent fitness level.
    Always good to hear about all yer great losses and achievements on this thread though, yis are all great!

Down 3lbs! In shock after the bad Sunday I had! Finally got my 4.5 stone award! Absolutely delighted! My consultant now thinks that I'm being way too good and not eating enough for the exercise I'm doing because the past two good losses I've had were after weekends where I've had a really bad off plan day. I'm not sure but I'll take a loss like that any week. Going to try to plan for the week ahead especially with Easter on Sunday and my fondness for Mini Eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've missed a few weigh ins now but I'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow and weigh in, I'd say I've slipped out of target range. Have been a bit less careful syns-wise the past couple of weeks, having up to five extra per day by nibbling on a bit of chocolate or accepting a sweet if someone offered it or whatever - just need to pull it back. I'm much happier with how my clothes fit etc when I'm 3 or 4 pounds lighter than I am right now.
    After reaching target I think I kind of lost motivation, but now I'm thinking I might like to lose a few more pounds and (finally) do something about toning up and increasing my non-existent fitness level.
    Always good to hear about all yer great losses and achievements on this thread though, yis are all great!

It is strange getting to target isn't it, you miss having something to strive for! I have kept weighing in each week though, I need to really otherwise I fear that I would slip away... I have really stuck to more or less on plan all the time since target. I don't really enjoy fast food anymore which is a great thing!! :)

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    It is strange getting to target isn't it, you miss having something to strive for! I have kept weighing in each week though, I need to really otherwise I fear that I would slip away... I have really stuck to more or less on plan all the time since target. I don't really enjoy fast food anymore which is a great thing!! :)

I've missed a few weigh-ins because of the fact that the person I attend with fell off the wagon a few weeks back, so I had a handy excuse not to go.
    This morning I stepped on the scales at home and I'm definitely up :( I was so disappointed, actually quite upset.
    I know that most of the gain can be attributed to ovulation and inflammation (I've a bad back and I feel like I'm bruised all over, great fun) but as I said last night, I've also been exceeding my syns a bit. Pulled it back in the past 5 or 6 days but still not perfect. Oh and I'm not drinking enough water either.
    I'm in a funk!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement